Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Does your crotch scale at speed?

I'm contacting HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm contacting HR.

[Points at crotch]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It does collect a lot of limescale, but that's down to the hard water.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

It does collect a lot of limescale, but that's down to the hard water.

McGavin posted:

[Points at crotch]

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
At my job all the tools are in the office :haw:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Stupid Baby posted:

They owe you at least $18/hr because I make that and I've never built a fuckin' arduino

Baby's right, Domus. I have an intern whose job is to image laptops based on a prewritten process and ship stuff places, and I pay them $18/hr.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Domus posted:

I got my review today. The boss proudly told me that the range for the department was 0-3 percent, but I was so good they’re going to give me 4. You stupid fucks, you pay me $16/hr. No paperwork gets done without me. I’m the only person in this place who can take a unit all the way from coming in with the driver, checking it in, fixing it, QAing it, billing it, and sending it out the door. I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry. I know at least one customer has written the big boss saying I was an asset to the company. You literally had my only possible replacement quit without notice two weeks ago. And I’m supposed to be excited that I get a 64 cent an hour raise?! I like this place, I like my coworkers, but you’re giving me at least a dollar fifty or I am walking the hell out that door. Jesus, how out of touch with reality are you?

You can easily make $20 an hour with your skill set lol.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Comedy can opener option: 100pk P-51 can openers. Seed the Earth with the things. Put one under everyone's windshield wipers, drop them into each employee's locker, tape them to the undersides of tables, put them in watertight bags to float around the toilet cistern, steal people's keys just to add a P-51 onto their keyring, hang them from the ceiling just out of reach of the tallest person there, mail one to their homes with no note.

Deny everything.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Domus posted:

I got my review today. The boss proudly told me that the range for the department was 0-3 percent, but I was so good they’re going to give me 4. You stupid fucks, you pay me $16/hr. No paperwork gets done without me. I’m the only person in this place who can take a unit all the way from coming in with the driver, checking it in, fixing it, QAing it, billing it, and sending it out the door. I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry. I know at least one customer has written the big boss saying I was an asset to the company. You literally had my only possible replacement quit without notice two weeks ago. And I’m supposed to be excited that I get a 64 cent an hour raise?! I like this place, I like my coworkers, but you’re giving me at least a dollar fifty or I am walking the hell out that door. Jesus, how out of touch with reality are you?

I say gently caress it, bring up the raise to your boss & point out that it barely adds up to the cost of a gallon of gas over an 8 hour shift. Also start talking to the customers that actually value your time & see if they have any leads for similar jobs to yours, don't be afraid to tell them why either. If boss don't like it, what's he gonna do other than bitch about it? He put himself & the company in this spot, he can make it right or you can tone down on your responsibilities & make an exit plan.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

Baby's right, Domus. I have an intern whose job is to image laptops based on a prewritten process and ship stuff places, and I pay them $18/hr.

We're paying $19 for a person to sit in a chair and put a cork in a passing bottle 18 times a minute, in an air-conditioned environment.

And this is in a low cost of living area, too lmao.

poo poo I wish I was 18 again.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Comedy can opener option: 100pk P-51 can openers. Seed the Earth with the things. Put one under everyone's windshield wipers, drop them into each employee's locker, tape them to the undersides of tables, put them in watertight bags to float around the toilet cistern, steal people's keys just to add a P-51 onto their keyring, hang them from the ceiling just out of reach of the tallest person there, mail one to their homes with no note.

Deny everything.

I'm owned.

I seriously bought nearly the same thing for 100 yen. I get keeping track of your poo poo but gently caress me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

We're paying $19 for a person to sit in a chair and put a cork in a passing bottle 18 times a minute, in an air-conditioned environment.

i'd rather starve

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Jesus. My pay loving sucks and I'm a moron. Welp

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

Don't worry, being younger doesn't guarantee you aren't getting hosed on pay for what you're doing, either. Getting $19/hour here requires either physical requirements that preclude anyone with disabilities, 5+ years in hyperspecific fields, or knowing the hiring manager personally (and that last one isn't even guaranteed, I have close family members in HR in a couple places and they refuse to even accept applications, because I lucked out and got the two HR people in the world not down with nepotism).

Needless to say I'm not in that bracket.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Domus posted:

I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry.

This looks like a path to a computer touching career to me

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

tactlessbastard posted:

Sounds like hell to me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tarkus posted:

Sounds like hell to me.

I'm not saying it's great, I'm adding evidence on how badly Domus is getting hosed @$16.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I got a call from someone in a different division of the company yesterday to warn me about one of my vendors. I had helped to set up a meeting between the other person and the vendor last month and unbeknownst to me the other person had flown across the country with a team to go see the vendor site in person. I was supposed to go out there at some point because it's literally an hour from my house, but excuses keep being made and I think I know why now. Apparently like half their shop is just not functional. Heat treat ovens, digital xrays and at least one anodize tank are all offline. Worryingly, they have a pretty sensitive measuring device sitting next to a loving sand removal station, which is a setup I've never seen in my entire career; usually your industrial processes and measurements are done in completely different areas of the building so you don't foul up the measurements or gently caress up machines. They also admitted to a less than 60% on time delivery rate for production parts to the other guy. That's the kind of rate that gets you put in supplier jail here and they've told me from the start they were going to be done with everything on time.

There's a possibility that some of it was due to their shutdown just ending on Monday, but it was mentioned that no one did an audit on this site from our company, we just decided to put 100's of thousands of dollars of parts with them based on an assessment they produced for us. Kind of a problem.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my 15 year old makes $15 an hour hosting parties at a trampoline park and frequently makes $50 cash a shift by cutting birthday cakes lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tarkus posted:

Sounds like hell to me.

I love to do a task every 3 seconds for $37,000 a year

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Mantle posted:

This looks like a path to a computer touching career to me

I actually have an A+, but it isn’t really related to secretarial work. The good news is that not only did my boss say he’s got my back, but he actually talked to HR on my behalf already. The issue is supposedly in committee, but we’ll see. The dumb part is that this place really tries to be good to employees, but they keep comparing wages with industry standards for manufacturing, even though my entire department doesn’t manufacture - we repair. Then they stupidly pay an outside consultant to set general wages, and even if they mean well, it ends up making everyone unhappy.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Domus posted:

I actually have an A+, but it isn’t really related to secretarial work. The good news is that not only did my boss say he’s got my back, but he actually talked to HR on my behalf already. The issue is supposedly in committee, but we’ll see. The dumb part is that this place really tries to be good to employees, but they keep comparing wages with industry standards for manufacturing, even though my entire department doesn’t manufacture - we repair. Then they stupidly pay an outside consultant to set general wages, and even if they mean well, it ends up making everyone unhappy.

I'm pretty sure you could get into writing fart apps though.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the factory I work in does manufacturing and repair and pays the same for both. honestly the repair people don't know how to fix things in general. they just got training and fix the same products over and over. problem with a lot of manufacturing jobs is that the skills don't translate to different products and training does not take long. so companies just pay what it takes to get people in the door. unless you happen to be in an area with a bunch of companies making the same type of products.

plenty of ancillary jobs that do pay well though. a job that doesn't confine you to a box is a great way to expand your skillset and get some projects under your belt you can use to further your career. just keep going, even if they won't pay more now they might do later, if they don't then you will still leave the company with a much more valuable cv then when you started. just record everything you do and quantify the improvements made. manufacturing is very focused on numbers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Scale THIS!

[Points at crotch]

Look. I only have one joke. But I refuse to apologize or grow.

Sorry to hear about your ED

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Sorry to hear about your ED

Thanks. I appreciate the supportive community here.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Thanks. I appreciate the supportive community here.

Not supportive enough apparently.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I got a call from someone in a different division of the company yesterday to warn me about one of my vendors. I had helped to set up a meeting between the other person and the vendor last month and unbeknownst to me the other person had flown across the country with a team to go see the vendor site in person. I was supposed to go out there at some point because it's literally an hour from my house, but excuses keep being made and I think I know why now. Apparently like half their shop is just not functional. Heat treat ovens, digital xrays and at least one anodize tank are all offline. Worryingly, they have a pretty sensitive measuring device sitting next to a loving sand removal station, which is a setup I've never seen in my entire career; usually your industrial processes and measurements are done in completely different areas of the building so you don't foul up the measurements or gently caress up machines. They also admitted to a less than 60% on time delivery rate for production parts to the other guy. That's the kind of rate that gets you put in supplier jail here and they've told me from the start they were going to be done with everything on time.

There's a possibility that some of it was due to their shutdown just ending on Monday, but it was mentioned that no one did an audit on this site from our company, we just decided to put 100's of thousands of dollars of parts with them based on an assessment they produced for us. Kind of a problem.

I used to do QC at a beer bottle factory and we had the high accuracy measurement equipment right out near the ovens. These machines measure the various bottles dimensions down to like .0001 inches to check if they are in spec and then pressure test them. They were designed to run a set of ~30 bottles once a day and be placed in a clean, temp controlled area. We ran two sets of 30 bottles every two hours on each machine 24/7 and put them between two of the lines right near where the bottles come out of the ~500 degree ovens. They rarely worked correctly and the one mechanic we used to have that actually understood how to fix them had retired years earlier, having taught only a small portion of his knowledge to one of my shift mechanics. We were also supposed to take the time to recheck by hand any bottle that failed one of the machine's tests, but like, by the time it finished the set it would be an hour and a half since we pulled it off the line and a lot of the time it failed because the bottle fell off the conveyor in the machine and it was measuring height and pressure as 0.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Machai posted:

I used to do QC at a beer bottle factory and we had the high accuracy measurement equipment right out near the ovens. These machines measure the various bottles dimensions down to like .0001 inches to check if they are in spec and then pressure test them. They were designed to run a set of ~30 bottles once a day and be placed in a clean, temp controlled area. We ran two sets of 30 bottles every two hours on each machine 24/7 and put them between two of the lines right near where the bottles come out of the ~500 degree ovens. They rarely worked correctly and the one mechanic we used to have that actually understood how to fix them had retired years earlier, having taught only a small portion of his knowledge to one of my shift mechanics. We were also supposed to take the time to recheck by hand any bottle that failed one of the machine's tests, but like, by the time it finished the set it would be an hour and a half since we pulled it off the line and a lot of the time it failed because the bottle fell off the conveyor in the machine and it was measuring height and pressure as 0.

one time a vendor sent us a bunch of mold glass (there's two types of injectable drug vials, tube and molded. We all understand what tube and molded means, I think) and halfway through the lot the stopper head in the filling room jammed and we couldn't get the jam cleared.

Then a vial full of drug being stoppered shattered all over the place, and we spent an hour cleaning it up.

Then it happened again. Then we realized every bottle in the stopperhead was stuck.

The necks were 1mm too tall and offset by like 3°. We had to dump like $25k worth of glass lmao

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

one time a vendor sent us a bunch of mold glass (there's two types of injectable drug vials, tube and molded. We all understand what tube and molded means, I think) and halfway through the lot the stopper head in the filling room jammed and we couldn't get the jam cleared.

Then a vial full of drug being stoppered shattered all over the place, and we spent an hour cleaning it up.

Then it happened again. Then we realized every bottle in the stopperhead was stuck.

The necks were 1mm too tall and offset by like 3°. We had to dump like $25k worth of glass lmao

Our contracts with customers were set up so that if something like that happened we would owe the customer like 3 days worth of production for free. I think it would come out to over a million dollars of loss per instance.

One time the shipping manager shipped the wrong bottle to one of our new fairly small scale customers and they completely destroyed the customer's bottling machines and last I heard they went out of business because they had no way to afford new machines.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Machai posted:

Our contracts with customers were set up so that if something like that happened we would owe the customer like 3 days worth of production for free. I think it would come out to over a million dollars of loss per instance.

One time the shipping manager shipped the wrong bottle to one of our new fairly small scale customers and they completely destroyed the customer's bottling machines and last I heard they went out of business because they had no way to afford new machines.

yeah we were CMO at that plant so that glass manufacturer in Mexico was on the hook for hella money from... I think either Gilead or Pfizer. Pretty sure it was Pfizer. Thankfully the links on the chain on the stopperhead were good and we didn't have to have Bosch remanufacture a bunch of TL parts.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mantle posted:

I'm pretty sure you could get into writing fart apps though.

I wrote exactly one Android app that was sideloaded and never put on the Play Store*: a flashlight that didn’t have ads on it. I was happy to uninstall it and delete the source when Google finally realized that was a thing people wanted.

*Or whatever the Play Store was called ~10 years ago.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I wrote exactly one Android app that was sideloaded and never put on the Play Store*: a flashlight that didn’t have ads on it. I was happy to uninstall it and delete the source when Google finally realized that was a thing people wanted.

*Or whatever the Play Store was called ~10 years ago.

Trying to find a decent app that does just one simple thing properly without crashing or assaulting you with popups every five minutes was and is almost impossible sometimes so you're doing gods work.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Domus posted:

you know what you must do

look for a job somewhere else, get a better offer, and bail because there's no way you're going to get a fair market rate negotiating tiny percentage-based QOL increases starting from such a low wage. Even if you play hardball, they're not going to give you what you're worth because it would be too much of a jump, especially if they're fighting you for such minimal amounts already. Enjoy the schad on putting in your notice as they panic and flail bc they took you for granted as a resource.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Enjoy the schad on putting in your notice as they panic and flail bc they took you for granted as a resource.

Can't wait for this at my current job!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

StrangersInTheNight posted:

you know what you must do

look for a job somewhere else, get a better offer, and bail because there's no way you're going to get a fair market rate negotiating tiny percentage-based QOL increases starting from such a low wage. Even if you play hardball, they're not going to give you what you're worth because it would be too much of a jump, especially if they're fighting you for such minimal amounts already. Enjoy the schad on putting in your notice as they panic and flail bc they took you for granted as a resource.

Don't forget to do the 'I've been offered $x, before I sign the contract and give my two weeks do you want to make a counter offer?'

They'll never play ball but now you've given them every chance to retain you so you can walk away from that bullshit with a clear conscience.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

Don't forget to do the 'I've been offered $x, before I sign the contract and give my two weeks do you want to make a counter offer?'

They'll never play ball but now you've given them every chance to retain you so you can walk away from that bullshit with a clear conscience.

Eh, I've had no problem walking away from any of my prior jobs, a clear conscience is not involved. Just walk away.
We don't owe each other anything. They pay me, I work. The relationship ends there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TotalLossBrain posted:

Eh, I've had no problem walking away from any of my prior jobs, a clear conscience is not involved. Just walk away.
We don't owe each other anything. They pay me, I work. The relationship ends there.

That can give you bad reputation in small industries.

Taking the time to give them a chance to retain you (even if they never will) keeps you looking clean for future employers.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Never, ever accept or solicit a counter-offer.
Do you want to work for the person who intentionally paid you less than your value for x years? Or the person who offered your value on day 1? I don't understand how not not doing that would harm your standing.

However, doing so would definitely harm your standing the next time you are looking for a job, because employers and recruiters will assume you aren't a serious candidate and will not want to invest time into your candidacy.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got my desired 1.50, and an apology for the initial lowball offer.. I should have gone for more but I can hang on to this job while I look for another. I’m kind of stunned at how quickly they went from raises being 4 percent max to oh poo poo we need you don’t go away. Thanks everyone for the moral support. It let me know that I wasn’t crazy in being offended by that offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Domus posted:

I got my desired 1.50, and an apology for the initial lowball offer.. I should have gone for more but I can hang on to this job while I look for another. I’m kind of stunned at how quickly they went from raises being 4 percent max to oh poo poo we need you don’t go away. Thanks everyone for the moral support. It let me know that I wasn’t crazy in being offended by that offer.

Keep looking anyway.