Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Gosh, now we're in the saddest thread! And I'm getting mad at it! >:[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Hey, whoa, thats not the whole story!

Sometimes the d-tier morons complain about other threads for having the wrong opinions about Glenn Greenwald.

Also, tbh, everyone still posting on SA in 2022 is a d-tier moron.

Lol again at the apropos of nothingness of it

E: one thing you can always do instead of passive aggressively referencing people you don't like is communicate openly about what bothers you and try to discuss it with people in your community. It seems like that's not something people do a lot of the time

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 06:10 on Jul 16, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Which thread posts the saddest things?

a good way to spot them is if the people who hang out in them all day act as if theyve been revealed hidden truths of the universe

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Farm Frenzy posted:

a good way to spot them is if the people who hang out in them all day act as if theyve been revealed hidden truths of the universe

also the worst posters in the forum will periodically invade them to poo poo them up

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

babypolis posted:

Epstein thread because giving yourself sschizophrenia is no joke

it's hard but honest work.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

babypolis posted:

Epstein thread because giving yourself sschizophrenia is no joke

:hai:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You guys posted on LF a forum where people told each other to kill themselves, and said countless slurs. Why are you crying so much about people trolling your threads? Lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we are old and weak, the sun setting on our posting prowess

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You guys posted on LF a forum where people told each other to kill themselves, and said countless slurs. Why are you crying so much about people trolling your threads? Lmfao

that wasn't trolling

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

T-Paine posted:

that wasn't trolling

lol

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its really not the same without unironic Google Ron Paul types around to dunk on.

I miss them so much.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
cspam has dunking but it’s sad defensive dunking, not the joyful dunking of lf. it’s trimming a topiary vs weeding a garden.

lf can only be understood within the social-techno-political circumstances it arose in. obama materially broke the promise of liberalism, but ideologically the bubble still had to be popped. lf served that function at an important time. by breaking the cognitive boundaries of then-popular decorum liberalism, suddenly vast expansive vistas of interpretation opened up.

in a sense the insights weren’t novel (basic marxist critique), but what they gained were particular rhetorical forms which made them very effective to spread across the internet. forms selected for through endless iteration - empty quotes and scorn. these forms have spread across and settled into all the typical web 2.0 spaces

but the dialectic has advanced. pulling back the veil on liberalism is no longer a particularly novel act in online political discourse. this leaves cspam basically in the role of pharisee - thoughtlessly repeating once-useful rituals.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

boo boo bear posted:

I miss them so much.

The only thing remotely comparable was yelling at creationists. Just a big collection of morons being confidently, smugly, provably wrong about everything.

Arguing with them in an environment they didn't control was like playing a video game with the cheat codes on.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

T-Paine posted:

that wasn't trolling

I think it was trolling, arf managed to get a rise out of you all. Lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it was trolling, arf managed to get a rise out of you all. Lol

he was just spamming dumb poo poo and most of the people in the thread didn't care or actually thought it was funny

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
crybaby bitch

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
never heard of it. whats a good lf thread?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
so to the people talking about how big LF was in comparison to CSPAM, where did they all go? Or did most of them just quit old-school discussion boards and just live in the reddit/instagram/twitter universes now?
To be quite honest I literally don't know of any other leftist forums like CSPAM or LF at all.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the rhizzone

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ocean Book posted:

this leaves cspam basically in the role of pharisee - thoughtlessly repeating once-useful rituals.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Oysters Autobio posted:

so to the people talking about how big LF was in comparison to CSPAM, where did they all go? Or did most of them just quit old-school discussion boards and just live in the reddit/instagram/twitter universes now?
To be quite honest I literally don't know of any other leftist forums like CSPAM or LF at all.

Twitter, or tumblr and then twitter. Some might have gone to reddit? Reddit is so poo poo for any real discussion thats hard for me to imagine.

Weird Twitter specifically has a bunch of former goons.

Presumably a bunch had kids, etc and just dont have enough time to post, post, poast.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Also a decent number of the most prolific posters ate bans or permas when lf got purged and for those who remained forums cancer made posting in any other forums difficult. Initially a lot of ppl went to wddp which then imploded due to drama, and others went to the rhizzone which was very good but struggled to maintain numbers as regulars left and no one came to replace them. A lot of ppl just went to twitter where they joined whatever cultural movement “weird twitter” was or became alt-left wonks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oysters Autobio posted:

there were a couple of spinoffs where a lot of LF people went, rhizzone mentioned but there was another one that i'm forgetting.

twitter was probably the big one, though that was a combination of a lot of ex-fyad and ex-lf people.

other people yes they had kids, got married, bought a house, got an Management job at an investment bank or law firm or some poo poo, or went to work for google/apple/facebook/amazon/etc touching computers for big figgies and tuning out.

in general it's like asking "where did all the goons from 2000-2016 go after they logged out for the last time?"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

Also a decent number of the most prolific posters ate bans or permas when lf got purged and for those who remained forums cancer made posting in any other forums difficult. Initially a lot of ppl went to wddp which then imploded due to drama, and others went to the rhizzone which was very good but struggled to maintain numbers as regulars left and no one came to replace them. A lot of ppl just went to twitter where they joined whatever cultural movement “weird twitter” was or became alt-left wonks.
this.wddp was the one i was thinking of but forgot the name

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
fwiw you can still find most LF posters on twitter these days, baby finland, getfiscal, goatenstein, tpaine, henry kwinkle, docevil, tars, willa, cefte, garbageape, jack allison, tf, etc. i'm sure you could find maggotmaster or ozma or FSAD or whatever as well

maybe even kyoon though who knows

would really like to know what infrateal is up to, he was a good poster

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Jul 17, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol docevil. im glad he got savagely owned on live tv. at the height of his power too. surely the greatest downfall in forums history

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

babypolis posted:

lol docevil. im glad he got savagely owned on live tv. at the height of his power too. surely the greatest downfall in forums history

It was a great lesson on how poorly being a funny online irony guy translates to real life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

It was a great lesson on how poorly being a funny online irony guy translates to real life

getfiscal seems to be doing ok at it but yes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
felix was also likely an lf goon

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

iirc he says he was a white noise poster and not a superstar tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

100% him and matt posted here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

fwiw you can still find most LF posters on twitter these days, baby finland, getfiscal, goatenstein, tpaine, henry kwinkle, docevil, tars, willa, cefte, garbageape, jack allison, tf, etc. i'm sure you could find maggotmaster or ozma or FSAD or whatever as well

maybe even kyoon though who knows

Lol I didn't know garbage ape and jack allison were both goons.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think garliccorgi on twitter is also an ex lf poster or at least a fyad one.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

It was really weird when I briefly had twitter in 2012 and followed the mountain goats guy only to see him retweeting a bunch of fyad and lf posters.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

I have also wondered this.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LF economics thread talked about econ and I learned a lot during the financial crisis

CSPAM economics thread posts "nubmer go up" and only talks about stocks, maybe coins

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LF was better and I was worse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

LF was better and I was worse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

postgarden was another really active spinoff but that one turned into a slashie death cult. i liked wddp. i think i'm facebook friends with like 30 lf refugees but i don't know anyone's username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I envy those who left when LF closed like I envy the dead

unironically