Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ciaphas posted:

attempting to learn nu-Summoner this evening. is there any reason not to use up the attunement abilities right away & summon the next one asap?

Nope. As things fill out those will become your main rotation perfectly filling up the 2mins until your next recharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks. so i guess it's similar to drg in that the rotation is pretty fixed without a ton of wiggle room or much decision-making? at least there's no combos to break and i'm real mobile

(e) at least drg was that way last i looked at it pre-EW

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
You do get a choice of which order to do the summons in, so if you know the fight really well there could theoretically be gains to be had by, say, using Ifrit when you won't have to move much. I am not good enough to do that myself, and I don't know if anyone is, though it sounds like good Black Mage players claim to be able to do that sort of thing with that job.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

thanks. so i guess it's similar to drg in that the rotation is pretty fixed without a ton of wiggle room or much decision-making? at least there's no combos to break and i'm real mobile

(e) at least drg was that way last i looked at it pre-EW

Summoner rotation is pretty generous. You can move your three summons around however they fit your needs best, and even with a small amount of spell speed, you have a couple filler GCDs every bahamut/phoenix that can cover mistakes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish I could put striking dummies in my apartment so that I can shamefully practice my rotations in private.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The main thing that makes Drg feel rigid IMO is that if you mess something up it throws everything off downstream. Summoner's rotation fits snugly in its 2m rotation window, but if you miss a cast of something the only thing you lose is that cast. You're not charging up some burst phase meter or needing to line specific oGCDs up or anything.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

A Moose posted:

Island sanctuary is probably going to be something similar to the player farm in Pandaria in WoW.
As long as there's a sandy-coloured dog called "Dog" it'll all work out fine.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I love doing the arr crafting quests like technically so far behind in the timeline because of little moments like right now in the lvl 50 alc quest.

Like drat Severian just how long have you had her lying around man?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
All of these housing arguments are now moot, because I now own a house.

No idea how to decorate this (in the most gaudy way possible) though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DelphiAegis posted:

All of these housing arguments are now moot, because I now own a house.

No idea how to decorate this (in the most gaudy way possible) though.

Go buy Paissa walls.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Must be nice, I've run into multiple glam piece I want that require sub items.

I mean I'm an officer in my FC and can just yoink control of our subs for a while to get the stuff I want, and we have a mechanism in our FC discord where people can put in orders for sub/airship mats, but yeah. :v:

Which ones are exclusive to subs? Thought there was a tabard for airships and that was it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I love doing the arr crafting quests like technically so far behind in the timeline because of little moments like right now in the lvl 50 alc quest.

She died in the Calamity, so it'd be five years even if you'd done the ALC quests first thing in ARR. What's a little more, uh, indeterminate length of time?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Which ones are exclusive to subs? Thought there was a tabard for airships and that was it.

There's a few, though I don't remember all of them. One of them is red moko grass though, which is used in the grade 3 blank orchestrion roll and a couple other things.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 16, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bruceski posted:

Is absolutely nobody doing CC, or is there another reason my queues have gotten a lot longer once the new season started?

I wonder if people are taking a big break until 6.2 because their waiting for new rewards and to wait until the reward system gets fixed. I thought the reward system worked where you would get the crystal rank reward and everything under it. Nope, turns out you get Crystal and Crystal only if you’re at that rank. When 6.2 hits you’ll be able to get any rank reward underneath as well.

I know I’m not playing anymore as I went hard until this last patch but I needed a break.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

There's a few, though I don't remember all of them. One of them is red moko grass though, which is used in the grade 3 blank orchestrion roll and a couple other things.

Just... ask your FC. That poo poo is cheap af on the marketboard too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They said exclusive glams so that's what I was curious about, not raw mats.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Doing the level 50 Culinarian quest after ARR is especially amusing.

Hey your majesty, you remember me right? I was there when you had the whole *glug glug*- *thunk* incident?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They said exclusive glams so that's what I was curious about, not raw mats.

There are one of the fashion glasses. Which is neat but pretty cheap these days

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Antivehicular posted:

She died in the Calamity, so it'd be five years even if you'd done the ALC quests first thing in ARR. What's a little more, uh, indeterminate length of time?

According to Nashu "Definitely less than a year." Loved that nod to the well known ethereal passing of time in world. Good point!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hey your majesty, you remember me right? I was there when you had the whole *glug glug*- *thunk* incident?

I can't wait for this :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I wish I could put striking dummies in my apartment so that I can shamefully practice my rotations in private.
I go to a random dead housing ward (it's most of them) and practice on strangers' dummies because the yard item limit won't allow me to have one anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Take pride in your rotation practice as you drop world ending nukes at Summerford Farms.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheWorldsaStage posted:

he's an alchemist so he probably hard her good and pickled with all the formaldehyde at that point

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Electric Phantasm posted:

Take pride in your rotation practice as you drop world ending nukes at Summerford Farms.

Freak out my mother by practicing your Bahamuts at the Bannock

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Subjunctive posted:

orcane posted:

I go to a random dead housing ward (it's most of them) and practice on strangers' dummies because the yard item limit won't allow me to have one anyway.

Go into a dungeon in Explorer Mode, it has placeable dummies. You'll even be able to use your LB!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you should use whatever the highest level stone sky sea thingy is that you have access to, purely because those reset your cooldowns so you can practice openers more than once every two minutes. technically you can achieve the same effect by queuing into then leaving dungeons, but that's slightly more bothersome

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/noasaitoshii/status/1548103029282332683?s=20&t=r0cJKZLy5RThzLtmS-0N2w

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, that one always stuck out like a bit of a sore thumb to me.

Honestly, I think the most "realistic" one is the Leatherworkers Guild, because she is the only one who will actually tell you early on that your work is poo poo and you should feel bad, which makes sense because you're literally brand new to the profession and should not be an instant master.

All of the others, it's "Hey, wow, these basic ham sandwiches you made are so good that I am now willing to reconcile with my estranged family whom I haven't talked to in 15 years!"
Leatherworkers, it's "Ok, so this wasn't completely godawful, but you still need to git gud."

Always feels more earned when she actually starts trusting you with the real work.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

the_steve posted:

Honestly, I think the most "realistic" one is the Leatherworkers Guild, because she is the only one who will actually tell you early on that your work is poo poo and you should feel bad, which makes sense because you're literally brand new to the profession and should not be an instant master.

All of the others, it's "Hey, wow, these basic ham sandwiches you made are so good that I am now willing to reconcile with my estranged family whom I haven't talked to in 15 years!"
Leatherworkers, it's "Ok, so this wasn't completely godawful, but you still need to git gud."

Always feels more earned when she actually starts trusting you with the real work.

'Holy poo poo no one has ever mined copper like you before! You're on par with me, the guild leader!'

Agreed. I love the Leatherworker guild leader, she's so refreshing.

I don't know if it's just silly or an Everything, Everywhere, All At Once reference but I love it.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 16, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
from what I remember the miner guild master is pretty in over her head to begin with. Botanist chain was full of whiplash. Fisher chain ruled

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Leatherworker is always a quiet achiever of a questline. it's rarely the best questline of an expansion, but whatever they're doing is always pretty high up there, you never feel like a Leatherworker questline wasn't worthwhile. Same with Fisher, where I feel like they keep assigning the storyline to someone who clearly has REALLY involved worldbuilding ideas and no other place to put them.

Leatherworker also stands to really loudly denounce a theory that a lot of people who clearly don't do crafting storylines seem to get from part of Shadowbringers. No, dinguses, crafting isn't just creation magic, that was a gag that you're taking too seriously. Every crafting storyline describes the physical work involved, but Leatherworker is literally all about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I liked how the leatherwork guildmaster seemed genuinely surprised that most of her employees hit the bricks once a job where they probably won't get yelled at showed up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's plenty of trashing your work in the goldsmith quests as well, and the level 50 quest ends with a gag about how you don't actually know what you're doing (which saves the day as Gigi becomes too mad about it to die)

The Blacksmith leader is just desperate for company as the guild has been isolating him from new recruits.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

I spent a lot of money to buy marketboard items for GC turn ins I expect my skills to be recognized when I do the same for crafter quests.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dangus question i've had for a while. on a pull, is it right to use cooldowns like Searing Light (raidwide 3% damage buff) immediately, or should I be delaying the very first one to line up with something (idk what that'd be tho - trickattack?)?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

dangus question i've had for a while. on a pull, is it right to use cooldowns like Searing Light (raidwide 3% damage buff) immediately, or should I be delaying the very first one to line up with something (idk what that'd be tho - trickattack?)?

Delay it tiny a bit since everyone is probably also setting up for their own moves. I've been hearing use after trance/summon bahamut and that's what I've been doing myself.

Also keep in mind it has a range limit so make sure you're close to everyone when you cast it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

A lot of buffs hit at around the 3rd or 4th GCD

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

If you're not in a savage raid with a timed start, basically whatever because nobody else is going to be lining up anything with anything. If you want to get it.

Generally I think the "standard" place to do a raid buff 2 minute cooldown is after the 3rd GCD, which gives various jobs time to set up whatever they're doing for big damage. I'm not sure but I think SMN might be an exception because searing light lasts longer than most raid buffs, and also your bahamut does big damage at the start and you want that buffed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Is absolutely nobody doing CC, or is there another reason my queues have gotten a lot longer once the new season started?

Probably just the mid-patch lull, if I had to guess. I do wonder if they're working on creating some sort of cross-DC system for certain queues to alleviate the inevitably-lengthening wait times for stuff like CC, since I remember them mentioning the idea of creating some kind of PVP superserver way back in the Feast days.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
counterpoint, learn your opener so you can practice it, then it becomes second nature. when you understand the logic of openers, you'll also be able to apply the same logic to dungeon pulls where your rotation might be different for aoe but your burst won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Learning your opener is something everyone should do even if you just do EXDR tbh.