Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The_Doctor posted:

Pulse used to be much harder to cancel a preorder, so I’m really glad that’s improved.

It’s super easy and I do it often, since I usually find the product in store before they actually get it. Nice to save on a shipping charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I never used Entertainment Earth before and now I regret it for just that reason. They shipped something with no notice or any tracking info and now I have to do a whole return. Cancelled all other preorders with them.

Edit: They charge you for returns. gently caress EE forever.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 16, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Joe Fisto posted:

It’s super easy and I do it often, since I usually find the product in store before they actually get it. Nice to save on a shipping charge.

I’m 50/50 on cancelling that nerf pulse rifle

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Nanigans posted:

I never used Entertainment Earth before and now I regret it for just that reason. They shipped something with no notice or any tracking info and now I have to do a whole return. Cancelled all other preorders with them.

Yeah they’re kinda shady like that. I only use them as a last resort or if they get something in stock first that I really want.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

I’m 50/50 on cancelling that nerf pulse rifle

You will regret it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nanigans posted:

Edit: They charge you for returns. gently caress EE forever.

EE sucks rear end and is a store of last resort.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I may cancel mine but if I don't, it can be redirected to you. I'll let you know.

Oh thanks but I got my own in on the general presale. I just had to wait an hour :rolleyes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

You will regret it

Why's that?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

What’s nice about places like Amazon, BBTS and Pulse is you can easily cancel a preorder. Easy to get that new toy rush and then later ask, “Do I really want it?” without any risk.

Will I actually pay for and receive my Peters? Who knows?

Definitely a plus over import sites. I definitely had some FOMO on the Mafex Boba Fett reissues and Amazing Yamaguchi Gwen & Spidey but I don’t feel like dancing on that knife’s edge to see if amiami will close my account if I cancel them, and now they’re all due in the same month :sigh:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Why's that?

Pulse Rifles are cool and good, and this is arguably the best and cheapest way to get something approximating a full size replica.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Counterpoint: paying rent versus paying for toys.

I'm not one to talk, mind. I just bought the re-release of shf Broly and preordered max power ssj4 Gogeta cause I could.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

Pulse Rifles are cool and good, and this is arguably the best and cheapest way to get something approximating a full size replica.

Unrelated Alien toy question; How are the Hiya toy figures? The queen in particular?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Counterpoint: paying rent versus paying for toys.

I'm not one to talk, mind. I just bought the re-release of shf Broly and preordered max power ssj4 Gogeta cause I could.

I’ve worked two comic conventions in as many weeks and the struggle to not immediately spend every penny I’m making from my booth at the booths around me is just incredible.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

MOTU Origins Rotons are starting to show up at Walmarts. I don't think I will see one any time soon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Unrelated Alien toy question; How are the Hiya toy figures? The queen in particular?
I don’t have the Queen; I have some of their earlier Colonial Marines stuff and I like it a lot (especially the Crusher and Raven), I recently got their ‘Aliens’ Warrior and was much less impressed with it, particularly the articulation and sculpt work on the mouth. I had been really looking forward to it due to how much I liked their other stuff I had, too.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Anyone here interested in the 18in Spider-Man from Spider-Man 2? It’s the super articulated one. It’s not in perfect shape, but it’s also not ready for the landfill. I’ve long since lost any accessories it would’ve come with. It’s big so it won’t be cheap to ship.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm just watching that video now, and there's an interesting bit about glow-in-the-dark figures. Brian says the price of glow pigment has skyrocketed to "stupid" levels, that it's always been a premium but they used to be able to offset the cost of a glow variant by reusing the molds, and now it's to the point where the cost to produce each glow figure is so much higher that they actually have to raise the prices, and he's no happier about it than the customers are. Apparently there were a lot of requests for glow turtles, and he says they're there for people who want 'em but that's the price, and it's understandable if that's too high for most collectors, but at least it's a "non-essential" variant.

I was wondering about this. $65 for an existing mold seemed oddly steep. Makes sense now after reading that.

Regardless, I decided to skip that set due to the price and instead put the $$$$ towards some new guitar pedals.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Bill!

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1548471882923458561?s=21&t=ulN9CLeMFGOJEg0ba2dIEA

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve worked two comic conventions in as many weeks and the struggle to not immediately spend every penny I’m making from my booth at the booths around me is just incredible.

I used to work cons to pay for the crap I’d buy at them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

When I work DesignerCon I always spend what I make 😅

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When I work DesignerCon I always spend what I make 😅

Probably the best way to do it, provided you make your booth rental back!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I got an old Mars Attacks (non movie) figure and I can’t get the screw out to replace the batteries and I’m afraid of stripping it.

I also got the big Independence Day electronic Alien Commander NIB and his head isn’t closing all the way when I fiddle with it (something blocking the mechanism? I can’t tell) but I can’t change the batteries because they’re vintage 1996 and were corroded to poo poo and when I popped one out it snapped the (also corroded) contact spring right off and there’s still a ton of battery corrosion in the battery compartment where the contact spring used to be.

I don’t know how to salvage this

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If anyone happens to find this at their Walmarts, I'd be happy to reimburse you the cost + shipping + a little extra for your effort:

It's a rare chase variant which otherwise is the same, minus the tiny Luke figure. The regular one has his him in orange flight suit instead:

I ordered one off Amazon but didn't get lucky, so I'm just returning it. Reports say the jedi version has been found at Walmarts on the west coast.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nanigans posted:

If anyone happens to find this at their Walmarts, I'd be happy to reimburse you the cost + shipping + a little extra for your effort:

It's a rare chase variant which otherwise is the same, minus the tiny Luke figure. The regular one has his him in orange flight suit instead:

I ordered one off Amazon but didn't get lucky, so I'm just returning it. Reports say the jedi version has been found at Walmarts on the west coast.

I’m on the West Coast, I’ll keep an eye out.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Joe Fisto posted:

I’m on the West Coast, I’ll keep an eye out.

:hfive:

Appreciate it!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

I was wondering about this. $65 for an existing mold seemed oddly steep. Makes sense now after reading that.

Regardless, I decided to skip that set due to the price and instead put the $$$$ towards some new guitar pedals.

In the same interview, Brian Flynn went on to say that post pandemic they saw all kinds of crazy price hikes in materials, production and shipping, but it’s getting to the point where prices are starting to trend down again. As an example he said the cost of a shipping container had shot up to 10x the pre-Covid level but now it’s down to like 3x, and he’s figuring glow pigment will eventually drop again too.

He also said Super 7 would absolutely sell their toys cheaper if it was economically feasible, that he is fully aware he’d move a whole lot more units of just about anything at a lower price point, and it’s not at all in his best interest to make the prices so high, and he’s hoping it will get to the point where they can afford to lower them across the board.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Nanigans posted:

Are these the same scale as the old Action Fleet toys from the 90's? That's probably my favorite Star Wars toyline of all time and I may not be able to resist a reboot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are these the same scale as the old Action Fleet toys from the 90's? That's probably my favorite Star Wars toyline of all time and I may not be able to resist a reboot.

They look slightly smaller, maybe by 25%, but seem to have better paint apps.

Supposedly they’ll have two other chases in this first wave, General Merrick’s X-Wing and Ahsoka’s Jedi Starfighter, but I don’t think anyone’s found them in the wild yet.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, no regrets, Rintrah rules.

I sheepishly told my wife I had bought several figures I didn't really want just to get pieces of this huge green minotaur, and she was like "I get it, that guy is awesome."

edit: Can anyone explain to me why astral Dr Strange comes with Aladdin's lamp? I've tried googling it, tried looking at some video reviews, and nobody seems to have any idea why this accessory is included. Some people think it's supposed to go with Rintrah, but the plastic they used is faintly translucent so that makes it seem like it goes with astral guy. Is it some deep pull from the comics lore? It's baffling. I would much rather have seen a translucent cloak of levitation included. I don't know if he ever wore that while astral projecting in the movies, but I don't care anyway, it would just look cool. And from the mold they reused, he has a hole in his back for the cape to plug in.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 17, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I’m in Florida from Tuesday, I’ll have a look in my area too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Thanks, friends. I struck out at my local Walmart this morning. They didn’t have any of these at all. The action figure and toys aisles in general were pretty empty. I’m in Florida too.

Currently sitting outside a Target waiting for it to open to see if I can finish this current Black Series wave.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Thanks, friends. I struck out at my local Walmart this morning. They didn’t have any of these at all. The action figure and toys aisles in general were pretty empty. I’m in Florida too.

Currently sitting outside a Target waiting for it to open to see if I can finish this current Black Series wave.

Oh drat, where? I’m going to be in Clearwater. Just to make sure we’re not covering the same ground :sweatdrop:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

So I got an old Mars Attacks (non movie) figure and I can’t get the screw out to replace the batteries and I’m afraid of stripping it.

I also got the big Independence Day electronic Alien Commander NIB and his head isn’t closing all the way when I fiddle with it (something blocking the mechanism? I can’t tell) but I can’t change the batteries because they’re vintage 1996 and were corroded to poo poo and when I popped one out it snapped the (also corroded) contact spring right off and there’s still a ton of battery corrosion in the battery compartment where the contact spring used to be.

I don’t know how to salvage this

I never had one, but never remember those alien commander heads closing right even in the packaging.

For the corrosion check out
https://youtu.be/wJAcqlNHpZs

For the battery connection, can you tell if it’s a contact that’s attached to the electronics board? If it’s not attached to the board, and it’s just a connection to put the batteries in serial, you could just use some aluminum foil to connect the batteries. If it connects to the board you’ll have to probably solder something to the board.

Looking at pictures of the commander it looks like you can remove it’s entire back which will get you to the electronics. I’d take the back off, and take a look. With the back off you’ll be able to get at all the corrosion better and see what you need to do to get the batteries working again. Take a lot of pictures so you know how to put things back together.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat, where? I’m going to be in Clearwater. Just to make sure we’re not covering the same ground :sweatdrop:

I’m in Miami. Thanks for asking, haha.

Target was empty too. Looked like they were about to restock some Transformers tho.

I also totally saw one of the 50+ year old Hot Wheels guys. Dude bolted to the Hot Wheels aisle, probably thought I was going for the same thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh man, it’s the same round the bay, too. Here it’s a bunch of Hot Wheels guys in their 20s as well, feverishly looking through the racks. They’re pretty cute, so I overlook it. :haw:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Eat at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill in Clearwater Beach while you're there. It's my favorite restaurant in the area.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it a thing for ebay sellers to delay shipping an item to try and get you to back out of the sale?

I don't use ebay much but recently I've been picking up a couple figures or single issues of comics I'm hunting down. I got an issue of xmen for a pretty solid price, but almost three weeks since the sale the seller still hasn't shipped it.

I contacted them a couple times and they came back saying they'd had a family emergency and would ship it out after the first week.

The next week I contacted them they offered no eta and sort of nudged me in the direction of "if you want a refund I totally understand". I realize I've written a lot about a potentially paranoid thought process but wanted to know if anyone else had dealt with long shipping delays.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Eat at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill in Clearwater Beach while you're there. It's my favorite restaurant in the area.

It’s OK. There’s much nicer places, like Keegan’s a bit down to the south.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nanigans posted:

Target carries BS figures besides Lando?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it a thing for ebay sellers to delay shipping an item to try and get you to back out of the sale?

I don't use ebay much but recently I've been picking up a couple figures or single issues of comics I'm hunting down. I got an issue of xmen for a pretty solid price, but almost three weeks since the sale the seller still hasn't shipped it.

I contacted them a couple times and they came back saying they'd had a family emergency and would ship it out after the first week.

The next week I contacted them they offered no eta and sort of nudged me in the direction of "if you want a refund I totally understand". I realize I've written a lot about a potentially paranoid thought process but wanted to know if anyone else had dealt with long shipping delays.

I haven't but it sounds like you're investing enough in securing the deal that it's not really a deal. I'd cut my losses.