Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Does anyone know the music that starts 1 minute into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

had my first "why is everyone getting so upset about it being a bit hot" rear end in a top hat in the wild today, good times

the anti-mask, covid-is-just-a-flu people need something new to be stupid idiots about

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Well, we'll see what the local rozzers have to say. I highly doubt anything will come of it.

p.s I'll be taking these images down at the end of the day

E: And yeah I know it was a bit pompous, I was channelling my inner Mrs. Norman.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 17, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

I have created a cryo chamber for the coming deathwave, as long as the electricity and plumbing don't crap out on me I will survive.

You just climbing in the fridge?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

RockyB posted:

Well, we'll see what the local rozzers have to say. I highly doubt anything will come of it.

p.s I'll be taking these images down at the end of the day

E: And yeah I know it was a bit pompous, I was channelling my inner Mrs. Norman.

the more pompous you write, the more the person reading it thinks “jeez, this one is going to be a right pain in the arse let’s try and sort it before it gets more annoying “

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rishi should be Prime Minister for most of our lives.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Rishi should be Prime Minister for most of our lives.

he’s this decades clegg

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hey friends, a while ago I remember asking advice in this thread about mice. We had a bit of a mouse issue, but managed to solve it, and then of course I dropped the ball on actually giving any detail on that in case you're interested.

Problem was that mice were getting in the flat somehow and running around at night and being annoying. There were three things we did which helped:

1) Poison - helps keep them away from your actual food; tells you whether & roughly from where they are coming; eventually kills them
2) Camera - ended up needing this for figuring out where exactly they were coming from
3) Blocking the route - the most important thing

First off, we put some poison in plastic bait boxes on the kitchen floor and living room floor - this stuff, basically grains of wheat laced with poison (and dyed to make it obvious to humans). Mice apparently love this stuff, so they would eat it and leave our actual food alone. Of course, we also store all our real food at least one metre from the ground, and in the kitchen fortunately there's no trivial way for the mice to climb up from the floor. They would probably find a way to climb if they really wanted to but we saw no signs of that happening.

The poison can also tell you whether there are mice visiting right now or not, and to some extent where they're coming from (e.g. from the kitchen or from the living room). Of course the poison will also kill the mice eventually... probably. This stuff takes a long time to act apparently and, as it turns out, there is an infinity of mice, so the poison didn't stop them from coming at all. We tried a different kind of poison as well, one which supposedly puts them to sleep immediately, but the mice never even touched that, just couldn't get them to bite. Oh well.

Second, my girlfriend managed to find a decent motion-detector-operated camera on Amazon, a Reolink Argus 3 or something like that. The issue was that even after "all" the possible entrances for mice were blocked by professionals, the mice still kept coming. From the poison boxes we could tell that this was in the kitchen only. Now there's several of these cheap-ish battery operated cameras like the Reolink ones available in all the usual shops; battery means there's no cord the mice might chew (or use as a bridge to get up the kitchen counter), and the camera has a motion detector so it activates automatically when it detects something moving in front of it. With this we eventually got some actual video of a mouse entering the kitchen from a specific niche.

Third, the blocking. The professional method apparently involves steel wool and expanding foam. Mice can't chew through the steel wool, and the expanding foam is there to keep the wool in place. This probably works, I guess, but there was still some small space left somewhere that they came through, or maybe they managed to chew through just enough of the wool-foam or I dunno. Turns out kitchens in old houses are really annoying to try to mouse-proof completely, just too many little gaps behind the furniture and the appliances and asdf.

There are a few things we were able to do ourselves, one was taping this kind of thick plastic "skirt" on the bottom of doors so they couldn't go from one room to another. And the final thing was actually kinda funny. Once we knew from the camera that the mice were coming from behind the washing machine, I put a mouse trap there in their "entrance tunnel" between the washing machine and the wooden panel next to it. And that stopped them. Mice here in London are smart enough to just not go into any kind of trap we tried - but that apparently worked against them here: after their route was blocked due to the trap, they gave up. They might have tried to squeeze below the washing machine instead, or find some way from the space behind it to some other area, or even chew through some of the wood if they really wanted, but no.

In summary, mice suck and mouse-proofing sucks, but there doesn't seem to be anything you can really do except block their entrance in any way you can.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

Does anyone know the music that starts 1 minute into this?

Not sure, but it sounds like it might be this or something like it. It's a bit quiet to distinguish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l39GDoyqWAw

What I call "English pastoral"

Ed: nah, forget this, I just had a listen to the Philomena with headphones on - nothing like it LOL

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 16, 2022

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jaete posted:

Hey friends, a while ago I remember asking advice in this thread about mice. We had a bit of a mouse issue, but managed to solve it, and then of course I dropped the ball on actually giving any detail on that in case you're interested.

Problem was that mice were getting in the flat somehow and running around at night and being annoying. There were three things we did which helped:

1) Poison - helps keep them away from your actual food; tells you whether & roughly from where they are coming; eventually kills them
2) Camera - ended up needing this for figuring out where exactly they were coming from
3) Blocking the route - the most important thing

First off, we put some poison in plastic bait boxes on the kitchen floor and living room floor - this stuff, basically grains of wheat laced with poison (and dyed to make it obvious to humans). Mice apparently love this stuff, so they would eat it and leave our actual food alone. Of course, we also store all our real food at least one metre from the ground, and in the kitchen fortunately there's no trivial way for the mice to climb up from the floor. They would probably find a way to climb if they really wanted to but we saw no signs of that happening.

The poison can also tell you whether there are mice visiting right now or not, and to some extent where they're coming from (e.g. from the kitchen or from the living room). Of course the poison will also kill the mice eventually... probably. This stuff takes a long time to act apparently and, as it turns out, there is an infinity of mice, so the poison didn't stop them from coming at all. We tried a different kind of poison as well, one which supposedly puts them to sleep immediately, but the mice never even touched that, just couldn't get them to bite. Oh well.

Second, my girlfriend managed to find a decent motion-detector-operated camera on Amazon, a Reolink Argus 3 or something like that. The issue was that even after "all" the possible entrances for mice were blocked by professionals, the mice still kept coming. From the poison boxes we could tell that this was in the kitchen only. Now there's several of these cheap-ish battery operated cameras like the Reolink ones available in all the usual shops; battery means there's no cord the mice might chew (or use as a bridge to get up the kitchen counter), and the camera has a motion detector so it activates automatically when it detects something moving in front of it. With this we eventually got some actual video of a mouse entering the kitchen from a specific niche.

Third, the blocking. The professional method apparently involves steel wool and expanding foam. Mice can't chew through the steel wool, and the expanding foam is there to keep the wool in place. This probably works, I guess, but there was still some small space left somewhere that they came through, or maybe they managed to chew through just enough of the wool-foam or I dunno. Turns out kitchens in old houses are really annoying to try to mouse-proof completely, just too many little gaps behind the furniture and the appliances and asdf.

There are a few things we were able to do ourselves, one was taping this kind of thick plastic "skirt" on the bottom of doors so they couldn't go from one room to another. And the final thing was actually kinda funny. Once we knew from the camera that the mice were coming from behind the washing machine, I put a mouse trap there in their "entrance tunnel" between the washing machine and the wooden panel next to it. And that stopped them. Mice here in London are smart enough to just not go into any kind of trap we tried - but that apparently worked against them here: after their route was blocked due to the trap, they gave up. They might have tried to squeeze below the washing machine instead, or find some way from the space behind it to some other area, or even chew through some of the wood if they really wanted, but no.

In summary, mice suck and mouse-proofing sucks, but there doesn't seem to be anything you can really do except block their entrance in any way you can.

Poison blocks are better than loose grain poison, because mice have a habit of carrying the grain off where it can be eaten by non-target animals. The blocks can be secured so that they can't do this as easily.

I'd also suggest keeping some bait stations stocked and checking them regularly even after the current infestation has been sorted. That way, once the mice inevitably come back, you'll get an advanced warning, and the problem is already well on it's way to being sorted.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jaete posted:

How about a cat?
When I had two cats I was the only ground floor flat in my neighbourhood in Egypt with no mice.
(But make sure you remove all the poisoned stuff before inserting a mogget into the situation.)

If you're renting, tell the landlord you need the cats because of mouse infestation.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Also, my dad trained as a pest controller. He used to be able to buy the 'good' mouse and rat poison, but had to present his certificate to buy it. At least he used to be able to. He left his certificate in the attic where it was eaten by mice, and the certifying agency is no longer around to give him a replacement.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Soylent Yellow posted:

Poison blocks are better than loose grain poison, because mice have a habit of carrying the grain off where it can be eaten by non-target animals. The blocks can be secured so that they can't do this as easily.

I'd also suggest keeping some bait stations stocked and checking them regularly even after the current infestation has been sorted. That way, once the mice inevitably come back, you'll get an advanced warning, and the problem is already well on it's way to being sorted.

Yeah good point on the blocks; we had some of those as well, and they were eating them, but for some reason we ended up mostly using the grain instead. Need to use the blocks next time.

Also yeah we've kept the bait boxes in place since then, there's actually been no sign of mice (yet).

I'm allergic to cats and we don't really want to get a dog (I hear dogs can also help).

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Get a pet Gun

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I was thinking of mice and rats because me and the girlfriend are looking to move (to a bigger place in London), and we viewed an otherwise very nice flat today, but the current tenant told us there is a bit of a rat problem in the area. The bins in the backyard attract rats, and the tenant saw one of them on the balcony of the flat just this morning.

(In our current place, there's no balcony or garden, and inside there haven't been any signs of rats, thank goodness - just mice. Rats have of course been seen in our area as well, but they don't come indoors.)

So now we're kind of trying to convince ourselves that rats visiting the balcony occasionally, and not trying to get in the actual flat, wouldn't be the end of the world... maybe. Ugh. We don't really believe that though.

As far as I know, there just isn't any way of preventing rats from coming to the balcony in a place like that if they feel like it. Maybe if we were to get a proper rodent-killing dog like a terrier, the rats might be scared away. But we're not planning to get a dog.

It's funny how difficult these issues are to solve.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Pellet holes in the skirting boards are a good way to lose your deposit. I know someone who found this out the hard way.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jaete posted:

Of course the poison will also kill the mice eventually... probably. This stuff takes a long time to act apparently and, as it turns out, there is an infinity of mice, so the poison didn't stop them from coming at all. We tried a different kind of poison as well, one which supposedly puts them to sleep immediately, but the mice never even touched that, just couldn't get them to bite.

The reason the long acting stuff is "better" is because it will get all of them. If one animal eats the quick acting stuff and dies immediately the rest of them will be warned off and leave it completely.

Sorry for the grim reading on a saturday evening but I had to deal with rats and it isn't a nice experience.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
A large monitor lizard would deter rodent pests and is hypoallergenic.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Please don't poison mice, if for no other reason that when they die they'll stink out your walls or under the floor, but mostly because it's cruel as gently caress.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Because it was founded by people who wanted to send free black people there because they thought there could never be racial equality in the US

I mean. Not wrong.

Trouble is the people they sent back promptly created a stratified society where they lorded it over the locals.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 17, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Please don't poison mice, if for no other reason that when they die they'll stink out your walls or under the floor, but mostly because it's cruel as gently caress.

Nope, cruelty is using the sticky traps... don't think i'm going to use them again. :gonk:

I used wire wool and expanding foam to block holes in my house, didn't know till now that it's actually a correct procedure. :lol:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Just Another Lurker posted:

Nope, cruelty is using the sticky traps... don't think i'm going to use them again. :gonk:

I used wire wool and expanding foam to block holes in my house, didn't know till now that it's actually a correct procedure. :lol:

The sticky traps are beyond cruel and into torture. Poisoning mice is still cruel. Wire wool is indeed good stuff vs mice though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

So now we're kind of trying to convince ourselves that rats visiting the balcony occasionally, and not trying to get in the actual flat, wouldn't be the end of the world... maybe. Ugh. We don't really believe that though.
https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1475706614686666753

I don't mind rats as long as they stay in rat places. They got a lot of poo poo on them from the plague, but that wasn't rats, it was the living conditions in pre-Industrial Europe.

Once again the real vermin was landlords all along.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

The reason the long acting stuff is "better" is because it will get all of them. If one animal eats the quick acting stuff and dies immediately the rest of them will be warned off and leave it completely.

Sorry for the grim reading on a saturday evening but I had to deal with rats and it isn't a nice experience.

I remember a goon saying not to use poison as you'd then end up with rotting rats in the walls?

It's a shame OP is allergic to cats because a cat is really the easiest option. The rats know one is about and will promptly GTFO.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
We never had any mice in the house until our cat started bringing us little gifts (sometimes dead, sometimes less so) from next door's garden.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

We never had any mice in the house until our cat started bringing us little gifts (sometimes dead, sometimes less so) from next door's garden.

Send your neighbor an invoice for pest control services rendered.

I'm pretty sure we will never have mouse problems our street is literally crawling with cats.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
To deter rats- mix jeyes fluid and water 1 part to 4 or 5 and put it in a cheap sprayer, spray the area you want to keep clear every few weeks. Rats don't see very well and navigate a lot by "scent" (read piss) trails and jeyes stops them being able to smell them and they fuckin hate that

you don't even need too much

If you want to kill mice then poison isn't great- snap traps in bait boxes work far more efficiently but identifying and removing the reason they are there is the only way to properly stop them

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had mice in the attic about 18 months ago. I never found the hole they were getting in but once the traps got enough of them and I think the hot weather set in whatever piss trail they were following dried up and haven't heard anything up there since.

Poison was a bad option when I was sleep-deprived and a bit desperate and yep, dead mouse in the wall stinking out upstairs for a week. A bunch of snap traps with some nutella as bait by far the quicker and kinder option.

edit: Also I got one of those battery noise emitter things and stuck it up there. No idea if it does anything except wake me up beeping when the batteries run out every few months, but better than hearing mice.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 16, 2022

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jeyes fluid is bad for basically anythng that lives but specifically super toxic to cats so use with caution

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

jeyes fluid is bad for basically anythng that lives but specifically super toxic to cats so use with caution

Yeah I had to clean up a spill of it a while back and I'm pretty sure if you diluted it and sprayed it around my room I would also leave.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

kecske posted:

Basically everything is super toxic to cats.

In the other hand, cats are the perfect way of getting rid of anything that you'd consider a pest.

Get cats not poison.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/eugeneh84/status/1548214126429622273

https://twitter.com/eugeneh84/status/1548214155370303489

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do with this impending heatwave coming my wife is looking up all sorts to help keep the house cool for our 7 month old.

One of the things she's come across is to actually keep the windows shut to prevent the hot air from coming in.

This sounds like half understood bollocks to me because we've got thermometers around the house and it's consistently warmer inside than out.

We're in a well insulated new build but even if we weren't, wouldn't the insides of buildings naturally be warmer than outside unless the windows were open to drop the inside temperature to match that of the outside?

What she read said to keep the blinds closed (this bit makes sense) but keep the windows shut. Am I missing some clever sciencey thing here?

It might be an actual thing, but I've discovered that if I have a window on the front and back of the house open, some kind of draft between the two starts, even if there's no wind outside. So my plan was to try that to get a constant breeze blowing through.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Windows open at night and closed in the day is the one.

Shutters/blinds/whatever as well if possible, or even better foil on the windows (or one of those mylar emergency blankets things) to reflect the evil space rays back outside.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kin posted:

What she read said to keep the blinds closed (this bit makes sense) but keep the windows shut. Am I missing some clever sciencey thing here?
Yea I think when it’s hot enough you want to keep windows shut to prevent hot air from getting in. My immediate question is what’s the temperature at which you want to switch from “windows open for potential breeze” to “windows shut to trap cooler indoor air”?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Insulation works to keep heat out as well as in, so yes if you open the windows at night when the air is coolest, then close them during the day, it is possible the outside will warm up faster than the inside of your house if you also keep the sun out.

They make these special louvred awnings that go above windows that are designed to block the sun at high angles (during summer, midday) but allow it through at low angles (winter, morning/evening) as part of passive heat management techniques for buildings.

Of course, if the inside is still very hot you might still be better allowing a breeze through the house, the inside can get hot and stuffy quite easily even if you try to keep it cool, so if you find it is cooler outside then by all means open the windows and get some air through. But if the wind is dead you might be better off trying to just keep the heat outside for as long as possible.

I also have a big fan I put on the windowsill to make a breeze where god has failed, but that depends on whether you have one or a windowsill to put it on. But generally in the UK I find that the actual air outside is cooler than inside, the issue is usually getting the fucker to move.

If we lived in a civilized country of course you would have a windcatcher in your house but unfortunately we live in the UK.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My solution is just live in northern Scotland, where even when it's hot it's not really.

I can't really recommend it because there's gently caress all to do up here, little in the way of work and most people who don't grow up with it would probably find the shorter winter days rough going, but hey.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh also I'm not sure if it's just a seasonal turn but I got on the fexofenadine a few days ago and I do feel a lot better with the hayfever. Still a bit sneezy and sore but usually when it's time for the next dose, much better overall though so count me in the +1 pile for that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is a shocking statement to make in the New Statesman.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/07/boris-johnson-hollow-man-john-gray

quote:

"they were ready to back a government led by Jeremy Corbyn, a populist of another kind, which would have installed anti-Semitic racism at the highest level of the British state.

I did actually feel shocked to read it. I know the New Statesman was never a fan of Corbyn, but I didn't expect them to publish an article with a blatantly libellous statement like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This is the problem with statements like Zahawi's, once Corbyn let that prominent an accusation go it gives the rest of the cunts free reign on saying it. Corbyn should have taken that fucker's house.

Of course that relies on a court ruling that accusations of antisemitism have no foundation, and can you imagine the tweets coming out of the usual dipshits if a court of law failed to conclude that the accusations were without basis?