Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mia Wasikowska posted:

Yeah but like... forgive me if I've missed something, but what is Germany going to do about gas?

There is an extraordinary political and economic realignment occurring that is and will continue to be painful.

Victis posted:

That and Vietnam, but those were both pretty drat unpopular wars in the US. If you essentially control public opinion can’t you just say “We won! Our boys are coming home?”

Sure it’s reductive but the two situations aren’t comparable

edit: It’s why I get frustrated at the argument that Putin desperately needs an off-ramp and that’s the only thing keeping this war going. It’s just not true for a lot of reasons

Even an oppressive dictatorship has a hard time reframing "everyone's coming home without achieving the goals of the invasion," also known as defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/defencegreece_m/status/1548410661931167747?cxt=HHwWhsCt7eHSh_0qAAAA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uh, what? Serbia to... Jordan?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Young Freud posted:

Are we sure they're even running inside? They could be behind the drat thing. That's what it looked like where the one guy who was standing on top went off to.

Yeah, I doubt it would even be possible to enter the vehicle after a penetration without wearing a gas mask. You absolutely couldn't breathe there, so much foul stuff in the air. It never even entered my mind that the OP would have suggested that someone would have gone inside because... how?

quote:

I thought it was SOP in Warsaw Pact forces NOT to ride in BTR-70/80s because they were known deathtraps if they hit a mine or something, because you'd get thrown around inside and break bones or a neck.

I wouldn't go that far. Soviets in Afghanistan in some cases? Probably, in similar way that US troops rode on top of M113's in Vietnam where there was a risk of hitting a mine. But none of those were a normal SOP for either NATO or Warsaw Pact. If it was then they would have ridden on flatbed trucks. Mujahideen and VietCong just didn't have much in the way of artillery. Plus it was hot. Air conditioning in military vehicles was not a thing back then. You could choose between hot air, or hotter air.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
So Germany will deliberately run itself into an energy crisis of unprecedented scale instead of reactivating their nuclear plants for, say, five more years?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

So Germany will deliberately run itself into an energy crisis of unprecedented scale instead of reactivating their nuclear plants for, say, five more years?

The main shortfall is on actual gas applications, rather than gas-produced electricity. Also, they’ve intentionally ruined some of their reactors so that they couldn’t be reactivated without refurbishing or rebuilding some of the more expensive parts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OddObserver posted:

More details here: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/cargo-plane-crashes-near-greeces-northern-city-kavala-2022-07-16/

Seems it was a cargo plane owned by Ukrainians. No reports as to exact cargo - ammunition seems to be speculation at this point due to secondary explosions. It may be completely unrelated to that, who knows.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
^^^
makes more sense

OddObserver posted:

I'm sure Defencegreece-Media knows what they're talking about.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, they’ve intentionally ruined some of their reactors so that they couldn’t be reactivated without refurbishing or rebuilding some of the more expensive parts.

I'm so glad the new NorLink sea-cables are up so that we get to drain our hydro reserves to stop these idiots from killing themselves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The main shortfall is on actual gas applications, rather than gas-produced electricity. Also, they’ve intentionally ruined some of their reactors so that they couldn’t be reactivated without refurbishing or rebuilding some of the more expensive parts.

What was the thinking? Why go scorched earth?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MassiveSky posted:

Germany looks like it's sitting right on the separation between the two developing trade blocs. Will be interesting if they cut some special deal with BRICS or just go through a cold German winter without heat.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

MassiveSky posted:

The main problem is gas for heating and not electricity. Germany - along with other countries in the EU just as or more dependent on Russian gas - is rapidly sourcing gas from other sources. This includes a massive and rapid expansion of LNG terminals in order to receive that gas, as well as expanding the natural gas pipeline infrastructure in order to transport gas more effectively between countries. For example, Portugal and Spain have LNG terminals, but there exist only very small pipelines between Spain and France. Expanding those would enable the use of those LNG terminals to capacity quite quickly (it takes longer to build new terminals than to build short pipelines connecting the Spanisch gas network to the French gas network.
The official EU plan is to reduce dependency on Russian gas in the EU by two thirds by the end if the year. Gas shortage is „only“ a worry for this year. After that Russian gas will have an effect on world prices, but there will no longer be an actual danger of running out.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, they’ve intentionally ruined some of their reactors so that they couldn’t be reactivated without refurbishing or rebuilding some of the more expensive parts.
When I asked about this in the energy megathread I was told (and linked to documentation) that those measures are standard decontamination measures. I‘m sure that you can show some proof that it was instead deliberate destruction in order to stop recommissioning.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rinkles posted:

Horrible feeling that a certain contingent within the German government went "Surely nothing will ever happen to disrupt our supply of cheap gas from our good friends in Russia, so let's keep them happy and go all-in!"

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

I'd blame boomers, but germans on reddit are equally vocal about nuclear = bad and now that they've finally slain the windmill we've been tilting at for decades., it cannot be raised again.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

DTurtle posted:

When I asked about this in the energy megathread I was told (and linked to documentation) that those measures are standard decontamination measures. I‘m sure that you can show some proof that it was instead deliberate destruction in order to stop recommissioning.

Seems the same thing to me. Decontaminating a nuclear kettle would involve intentionally removing and damaging expensive bits. Like reactor vessels and things.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Get over the dumb nukes already you dorks, it was dumb to get out of them but by now they're a sideshow. Gas in Germany is used for industrial and residential heat and as an industrial input. 3% of German gas consumption is used by BASF to make base chemicals like ammonia etc. Currently we're discussing whether beer production - which needs to boil shitloads of water - is an essential industry. None of this is easily convertible to zomg pure nerd energy.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This was the U.S. Afghanistan policy for 20 years, wars are much more politically difficult to give up on than they are to start.

The number of American troops in Afghanistan was a very small portion of the total US military. Russia sent almost their entire army into Ukraine and hasn't gotten anywhere.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

Get over the dumb nukes already you dorks, it was dumb to get out of them but by now they're a sideshow. Gas in Germany is used for industrial and residential heat and as an industrial input. 3% of German gas consumption is used by BASF to make base chemicals like ammonia etc. Currently we're discussing whether beer production - which needs to boil shitloads of water - is an essential industry. None of this is easily convertible to zomg pure nerd energy.

If you had any sense you'd boil the water using shitcoin mining rigs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DTurtle posted:

Nah, I’m good. I was just recalling the last time we talked about in this thread, that was what people were saying. Looking at governmental documentation, that’s must’ve been simple confusion around decontamination procedures, or a turn of phrase that I did misinterpret.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The major concern to russia regarding "use energy crisis to wear down western states into compliance" as a strategy is that the longer this goes on the less likely you are to want to ever RE-tether yourself to russian energy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pretty sure that’s already at point of no return, but if it isn’t then a winter of “thanks Russia” on TV will cement that with popular opinion of all but a few EU members.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Russia probably expected that the threat of turning off gas would be enough to ensure compliance during and after the envisioned three-day op, and that the reaction would quickly die down afterwards bc whatcha gonna do about it now that it's done. Don't think they expected to have to go through with it. Both sides are in a bit of uncharted water economically atm and probably not going to be too comfortable in half a year

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Russia probably expected that the threat of turning off gas would be enough to ensure compliance during and after the envisioned three-day op, and that the reaction would quickly die down afterwards bc whatcha gonna do about it now that it's done. Don't think they expected to have to go through with it. Both sides are in a bit of uncharted water economically atm and probably not going to be too comfortable in half a year

EU, western and European messaging on the issue should shape a unified body projecting strength, and energy support for each other. Putin still believes he has cards to play and he really needs to be disabused.

The political motto should be "gently caress Your Russian Gas".

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1548269133300543499?t=LUbfsEL6KF35b1FKIHTvHQ&s=19

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Payndz posted:

Horrible feeling that a certain contingent within the German government went "Surely nothing will ever happen to disrupt our supply of cheap gas from our good friends in Russia, so let's keep them happy and go all-in!"

The capitalists thought they could moderate Russian politics with western money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have a sense of how the German public feels about all this? Probably a whole lot of justified anger and fear, but I hope people aren't thinking that Ukraine is not worth it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have a sense of how the German public feels about all this? Probably a whole lot of justified anger and fear, but I hope people aren't thinking that Ukraine is not worth it.

Germany can get very cold.

I think if there is support for maintaining the sanctions, it will be sorely tested if this war lasts till winter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Maybe 2/3rds - 1/3rd split generic vague support for Ukraine vs is letting Russia win really that bad

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Germany can get very cold.

I think if there is support for maintaining the sanctions, it will be sorely tested if this war lasts till winter.

It doesn't really get that cold anymore here tbh

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah, on paper the plan was pretty solid. Russia storms across the border, the Ukranian government falls Afghanistan-style in a couple days and the local population is happy to once again be under the protection of their Russian betters. The West would wring their hands and express their "deep concern," meanwhile the rest of the world would be fine using the fig leaf of Russia protecting the Russian-speaking minorities of the East to keep up business as usual. Western Europe would quickly quiet back down because there would be no political will to stop the gas from flowing. Just like when they annexed Crimea.

Hell, if you had told me that sequence of events in early February I would 100% have believed that's exactly how it would go down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, on paper the plan was pretty solid. Russia storms across the border, the Ukranian government falls Afghanistan-style in a couple days and the local population is happy to once again be under the protection of their Russian betters. The West would wring their hands and express their "deep concern," meanwhile the rest of the world would be fine using the fig leaf of Russia protecting the Russian-speaking minorities of the East to keep up business as usual. Western Europe would quickly quiet back down because there would be no political will to stop the gas from flowing. Just like when they annexed Crimea.

Hell, if you had told me that sequence of events in early February I would 100% have believed that's exactly how it would go down.

I remember there was a WHOLE lot of cynicism in this thread about what the sanctions would look like. Everyone was surprised.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I certainly expected sanctions to just be some token ones on Putin and a couple oligarchs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Poll on supporting Ukraine that mentions energy prices, split by party preference(?)

https://twitter.com/denistrubetskoy/status/1547885466573479936

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DTurtle posted:

The main problem is gas for heating and not electricity. Germany - along with other countries in the EU just as or more dependent on Russian gas - is rapidly sourcing gas from other sources. This includes a massive and rapid expansion of LNG terminals in order to receive that gas, as well as expanding the natural gas pipeline infrastructure in order to transport gas more effectively between countries. For example, Portugal and Spain have LNG terminals, but there exist only very small pipelines between Spain and France. Expanding those would enable the use of those LNG terminals to capacity quite quickly (it takes longer to build new terminals than to build short pipelines connecting the Spanisch gas network to the French gas network.
The official EU plan is to reduce dependency on Russian gas in the EU by two thirds by the end if the year. Gas shortage is „only“ a worry for this year. After that Russian gas will have an effect on world prices, but there will no longer be an actual danger of running out.

It's also used in a number industrial process as well which is incredibly dependent on cheap natural gas, oil and number of derivatives you get from oil. Germany's industry is going to likely come to a near screeching halt. I don't remember the specifics offhand but the manufacturing of things like aluminum, steel, cement, milling metal for whatever gadget, etc. is going to be severely impacted. Technically, alternatives do exist that don't emit carbon due to net zero goals or other harmful chemicals but these however are incredibly expensive and largely prototypes not ready for mainstream production.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

OddObserver posted:

Poll on supporting Ukraine that mentions energy prices, split by party preference(?)

https://twitter.com/denistrubetskoy/status/1547885466573479936

Weird, why is AfD so low? Isn't that the far right party in Germany

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it's weirder that you think it's weird that far-right chuds support Russia/are supported by Russia.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

International Far Right groups are heavily sponsored by Russia. Putin has been cultivating his image as the white Christian ruler fighting Muslims and gays for years, and Fash worldwide eat that up.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
For some reason the actual fash don't seem to be convinced that it's actually Ukraine whom they should be swearing Nazi fealty to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

I think it's weirder that you think it's weird that far-right chuds support Russia/are supported by Russia.

edit: I read that wrong but you are 100% right

In the US it's driven by Fox News, partially based on 'America First' and partially on the full embrace of strongman-worship :chud:

You can just say that Zelenskyy and the MIC is taking taxpayers to the bank while migrant caravans are at our borders and there is no baby formula and gas prices are high for hard-working Americans because we are helping drag out the war and also Ukraine has been bombing itself for 10 years and it's super corrupt anyways

That's without Hunter Biden's Biolabs etc etc etc etc

Victis fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As a German working as a renewable energy engineer I always thought shutting off our nuclear capacity was the most short sighted and harmful thing we could do in regards of the energy transformation and for the climate. The fact that now an acute crisis is showcasing how dumb a "shut off nuclear, also cripple the renewable industry so no replacement will be available in time" policy has been, which has been implemented by the former konservatives under Merkel.

However, as stated before, the issue is not "just turn on a few nuclear plants", the gas crisis will still remain an issue, it will help slightly but not change anything much. Gas is 90 percent used for things that turning the plants on will have zero impact on. It *might* keep down prices a bit but that depends on how expensive it is to keep them running. Goons and people in general have a vastly overoptimistic opinion on nuclear, it's not the silver bullet people want it to be.

On my personal feeling of how Germans are seeing this crisis and Ukraine: there really is an unfortunate number of people who are starting the "but what's in it for us" questions regarding German support as the price increases bite, and a non neglectable number of people are wringing their hands about heavy weapons which is a remnant of pacifism that got beaten into us after WW2, but in general people seem to be very supportive. There is a stark divide in this support between former DDR and west Germany tho, and the "left" is spouting a lot of the same "Nato bad, america bad, Russia has a point" you hear around. A cousin is a local politician for the left party here and we had an argument about Nato and Russia last time we met, she's 22 so it's obviously part of their normal Diskurs.

Ultimately due to poor political planning the gas problem has very real and potentially long last impacts on us, including the very real possibility of not being able to afford heating for our housing in the winter, so I understand the government wanting to get as much gas as possible, even from Russia, even if I'd personally be willing to sacrifice more to stop it. The sentiment seems to be that we can't help in the future if we're too embroiled in our own crises. This would also erode support for the future and might sweep the government back into power that caused this mess. There's not good way out.