Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

I thought the latter half that shows that Caleb is ultimately just a "Nice Guy," who only seeks to rescue Ava because he wants to put his weewee in her was made pretty clear in the film. I mean, it's a film with heavy themes of "men feeling entitled to women's bodies."

I agree the film is making that exact point, and Shaun has pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. I think it's very deliberate that there is just enough ambiguity for someone who is themselves a "Nice Guy" to miss it because they entirely relate to Caleb and only see Ava through the same lens as him. The average Wikipedia editor probably falls into that category, so I can see why the misunderstanding happened there.

Perfect ending for the film in my opinion since it really hammers home the theme of who you relate to and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
SFDebris once had a good section in his Matrix reviews about how AI could and probably should have radically different mindsets from humans.
Interpreting Ava to be manipulative is fair if not bland read. But even then I wouldnt call her malicious (Let alone a Terminator)

RareAcumen posted:

The world simply isn't ready for another one. That's why they've limited the female cast to a max of 3 ever since 4.

FF5 makes up for that by eventually having only one man in a team of four, since the other one gets replaced halfway.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 15, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I had such a fundamentally different experience with FFX compared to basically everyone else. Gamestop randomly tossed it in as a freebie when I bought a used PS2 and I tried it out but I was at the exact wrong age to either mindlessly noodle around with it or instantly invest 200% of myself into it. Ultimately everything about it was infuriating to me, especially the (intentionally) confusing nature of the intro.

Granted, I didn't have a lick of JPRG experience past Pokemon and maybe the GBC version of Dragon Quest 1. Also obviously no manual or strategy guide to help. I suspect nowadays I'd have a wee bit more appreciation for it, but I still don't have much JRPG experience and there's never been a point where I've been like "y'know, today's the day I finally play FFX". That day hasn't come for FF6, 7, 9, or Chrono Trigger either...

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

DeafNote posted:

SFDebris once had a good section in his Matrix reviews about how AI could and probably should have radically different mindsets from humans.
Interpreting Ava to be manipulative is fair if not bland read. But even then I wouldnt call her malicious (Let alone a Terminator)

FF5 makes up for that by eventually having only one man in a team of four, since the other one gets replaced halfway.

5 is less than 10-2

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

Possibly to prove a point I kept the men as mages and support types and let the women be the fighters and such in my only playthrough thus far.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I had such a fundamentally different experience with FFX compared to basically everyone else. Gamestop randomly tossed it in as a freebie when I bought a used PS2 and I tried it out but I was at the exact wrong age to either mindlessly noodle around with it or instantly invest 200% of myself into it. Ultimately everything about it was infuriating to me, especially the (intentionally) confusing nature of the intro.

Granted, I didn't have a lick of JPRG experience past Pokemon and maybe the GBC version of Dragon Quest 1. Also obviously no manual or strategy guide to help. I suspect nowadays I'd have a wee bit more appreciation for it, but I still don't have much JRPG experience and there's never been a point where I've been like "y'know, today's the day I finally play FFX". That day hasn't come for FF6, 7, 9, or Chrono Trigger either...

I'm sure this won't do much to push you along, but Chrono Trigger is a phenomenal gateway JRPG. Enough has been said about the general production values of the game, but it really isn't that hard or convoluted a battle system.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chieves posted:

I'm sure this won't do much to push you along, but Chrono Trigger is a phenomenal gateway JRPG. Enough has been said about the general production values of the game, but it really isn't that hard or convoluted a battle system.

Realistically, if I was going to randomly pull a JRPG off the shelf to play, it would absolutely be CT.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Framboise posted:

My biggest issue with Remake was the pacing. Forcing a bunch of (while mostly optional) sidequests about bit characters you can't really give a poo poo about into chapters you can't backtrack to, thus meaning you had to do them right then and there was really stupid. Even if some of the sidequests were fun, making it so I had to do them at that moment or miss out was really annoying.

That and the way it ended seemed really... weird? Like I get that you needed to have a big epic final boss at the end of the game, but having a big elaborate Sephiroth fight makes me wonder where they could go to top that.

What I'm most interested in at the moment is how the story Cloud tells in Kalm will go, if they do it at all. It was always neat to have that as the foreshadowing that Cloud is lying about who he is and Tifa gets confirmation that something is very, very wrong with him. (Yes I know I'm using spoiler tags for a 25 year old game, but it's one of the most well crafted plot moments in the game imo)

Saying he's lying isn't really accurate but yeah I don't know how they're gonna go about it considering they're also remaking Crisis Core which is coming out BEFORE the big late game reveal that game is even based on.

You should watch Maxamillion Dood's theory videos on what they're gonna do. I think he's probably gonna end up being pretty accurate on how things are gonna go.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHbrdrvT7M

Timbah On Toast's new video about the year or so before James Blake released his first album is fascinating, the Harmonimixes in particular are something I'd never heard of but they're beautiful.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I Before E posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHbrdrvT7M

Timbah On Toast's new video about the year or so before James Blake released his first album is fascinating, the Harmonimixes in particular are something I'd never heard of but they're beautiful.

I had no idea James Blake had become such a mainstream success. My only knowledge of him was Carles at Hipster Runoff always bringing up James Blake as the king of dubstep, though that was clearly a gag about how Blake's dubstep was so different than the stuff that was starting to peek into the mainstream. This had to be 2008-2009.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, Carles and HRO would be an interesting subject of a video essay. Then again, the format and humor was so tied to the blog-era of the internet that I don't know how you could accurately convey it with video.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 15, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I had no idea James Blake had become such a mainstream success. My only knowledge of him was Carles at Hipster Runoff always bringing up James Blake as the king of dubstep, though that was clearly a gag about how Blake's dubstep was so different than the stuff that was starting to peek into the mainstream. This had to be 2008-2009.

it's such a shame he realized he has a nice voice and could make bland singer-song writer dubstep infused pop music. his early stuff was :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oI5HvfxgpU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Framboise posted:

My biggest issue with Remake was the pacing. Forcing a bunch of (while mostly optional) sidequests about bit characters you can't really give a poo poo about into chapters you can't backtrack to, thus meaning you had to do them right then and there was really stupid. Even if some of the sidequests were fun, making it so I had to do them at that moment or miss out was really annoying.

That and the way it ended seemed really... weird? Like I get that you needed to have a big epic final boss at the end of the game, but having a big elaborate Sephiroth fight makes me wonder where they could go to top that.

What I'm most interested in at the moment is how the story Cloud tells in Kalm will go, if they do it at all. It was always neat to have that as the foreshadowing that Cloud is lying about who he is and Tifa gets confirmation that something is very, very wrong with him. (Yes I know I'm using spoiler tags for a 25 year old game, but it's one of the most well crafted plot moments in the game imo)

The trailer for Part 2 (titled Final Fantasy VII Rebirth) is out and features a lot of the Kalm flashback, which the devs have said in interviews will be the start of the game. (Which makes sense, it's the perfect excuse for a tutorial if nothing else.) It seems like Cloud's identity crisis (he's not so much lying as completely misled as to his own identity) is going to be a central part of Rebirth, and in the trailer, it also seems like Tifa might be putting the pieces together a little earlier than she does in the original.

As for topping the ending to Remake, I think it can be done. My guess is that Rebirth will end at the Northern Crater, which is where Cloud is manipulated into giving Sephiroth the Black Materia and the WEAPONs are released, which is going to be suitably bombastic for a finale. Then part 3 (which is confirmed to be the last part) ends with the grand finale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

The trailer for Part 2 (titled Final Fantasy VII Rebirth) is out and features a lot of the Kalm flashback, which the devs have said in interviews will be the start of the game. (Which makes sense, it's the perfect excuse for a tutorial if nothing else.) It seems like Cloud's identity crisis (he's not so much lying as completely misled as to his own identity) is going to be a central part of Rebirth, and in the trailer, it also seems like Tifa might be putting the pieces together a little earlier than she does in the original.

As for topping the ending to Remake, I think it can be done. My guess is that Rebirth will end at the Northern Crater, which is where Cloud is manipulated into giving Sephiroth the Black Materia and the WEAPONs are released, which is going to be suitably bombastic for a finale. Then part 3 (which is confirmed to be the last part) ends with the grand finale.

It's been my pet theory for a while now that Rebirth's big twist is going to be Aerith surviving the City of the Ancients, but at the cost of the White Materia being destroyed by Sephiroth. Because Sephiroth's big kick in the Remake timeline is trying to "defy destiny", because he, like Aerith, is a refugee from the original timeline. So he knows that killing Aerith is the root cause of his defeat. Aerith knows that too, so the struggle is going to be between her trying to engineer her death to see destiny fulfilled, and Sephiroth trying to find a loophole to see destiny defied. So destroying the White Materia takes Holy out of the equation, and takes Aerith out of the Lifestream so she can't stop him this time. So Part 3 is going to have to be about finding a way to stop Meteor without Holy this time. So this way people get their decades-long wish to see Aerith live, but it comes at such a high cost it'll make them wish she actually hadn't. Especially because it's too easy and predictable this time around for Aerith to go gladly to her death thinking she's saving the world with her sacrifice. Ripping that away from her and forcing her to live in the aftermath of it all is a much more gripping story hook than forcing everyone to go through the pain of losing her all over again.

That's how I'd do it if I were Nomura, Kitase, et al. But know knows what craziness is going to unfurl in it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ann Reardon is edging into Tasting History's territory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaL86RDGIU

Erik of Internet Comment Etiquette exposes the woke menace that is the Lightyear film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF6sLT8LCk

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mr.Radar posted:

Erik of Internet Comment Etiquette exposes the woke menace that is the Lightyear film:

Next time you post something like this, please give a heads up that the video has a two second clip of a lesbian kiss several times throughout.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm disappointed Erik only left one funny unhinged comment in that video, but it was on the toilet nazi guy's rant video so I'll take the W wherever it lands I guess.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shaun's video on Ex Machina made me want to go watch what I'd previously disregarded as a vaguely uninteresting plot device when I was deciding to watch the movie the first time around.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr.Radar posted:

I really enjoy her family's reactions to the things that she does. I honestly had never considered the idea of pouring gelatin all over something as a method of preservation but it makes sense when you think about it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
George complains about corporate sponsorships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LFItDncso

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been my pet theory for a while now that Rebirth's big twist is going to be Aerith surviving the City of the Ancients, but at the cost of the White Materia being destroyed by Sephiroth. Because Sephiroth's big kick in the Remake timeline is trying to "defy destiny", because he, like Aerith, is a refugee from the original timeline. So he knows that killing Aerith is the root cause of his defeat. Aerith knows that too, so the struggle is going to be between her trying to engineer her death to see destiny fulfilled, and Sephiroth trying to find a loophole to see destiny defied. So destroying the White Materia takes Holy out of the equation, and takes Aerith out of the Lifestream so she can't stop him this time. So Part 3 is going to have to be about finding a way to stop Meteor without Holy this time. So this way people get their decades-long wish to see Aerith live, but it comes at such a high cost it'll make them wish she actually hadn't. Especially because it's too easy and predictable this time around for Aerith to go gladly to her death thinking she's saving the world with her sacrifice. Ripping that away from her and forcing her to live in the aftermath of it all is a much more gripping story hook than forcing everyone to go through the pain of losing her all over again.

That's how I'd do it if I were Nomura, Kitase, et al. But know knows what craziness is going to unfurl in it.

I really like this theory, and I have a feeling you'll be correct to some extent. My vision of it is that Aerith will sidestep out of the way as Sephiroth is coming down at her, OR alternatively she does die and the third remake game is finding some bullshit way to resurrect her like a GameFAQs rumor come to life.

VII was 3 discs, right? Did the third really have much game left at that point?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chieves posted:

VII was 3 discs, right? Did the third really have much game left at that point?

The original had three discs, and the third one is basically just the final dungeon, some side quests, and a shitload of prerendered videos. But remember that as of the end of Remake, we're not even halfway through the original's disc 1 yet. Aerith's death is at the end of disc 1, which I'd say is roughly the halfway point of the original's story.

My personal theory is that Rebirth (the title for part 2) is going to end at the Northern Crater, which is partway into the original's disc 2 and the moment when things go from bad to worse. A classic way to end the second part of a trilogy is with everyone at their lowest, after all. That leaves most of disc 2 and all of disc 3 for Part 3.

That said I also think the remake trilogy is going to include a lot of story elements that weren't in the original. FF7 Remake includes a lot more Wutai stuff than the original, even before factoring in the Yuffie DLC, so I'd imagine a second Wutai War is going to be a plot element, too. Not to mention (Remake ending spoilers) whatever the hell is going on with Zack.

The FF7R devs have talked in interviews about how the story is going to follow mostly the same outline, but with events shuffled around, and a new mystery that won't be resolved until the end, so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. They're also promising that Rebirth and Part 3 will both be very large games and include a lot more than people are expecting.

Apparently the reason they hadn't publicly committed to doing three parts until last month wasn't because they were considering four or more parts--it was because they were considering only doing two parts. I can't even imagine what that would've looked like.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Sappho Lesbo is a Star Wars name as well.

There's a non-zero chance that name happened because some author wanted to have an extra fancy name and just flipped through a lexicon of famous Greek people and randomly landed on "Sapphos, from Lesbos"

"Sappho Lesbo? Sounds good, that's one name done. He he, people will think I'm super smart when they notice that's a name from Ancient Greece!" :smugbird:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im Sappho Lesbo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Tunt Pisso

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDkGLFGbTsE
Danny watches the Netflix Marmaduke animated movie. It is surprisingly ugly and Pete Davidson (who voices Marmaduke) sounds like he would rather be anywhere else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look Star Wars has a species of "near human" Asian people called thr Epicanthix. Yeah, like the folds around people's eyes.

At least the Serocco from Kotor 2 are actually humans, they just all come from the planet of Korean boy band hotties.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Look Star Wars has a species of "near human" Asian people called thr Epicanthix. Yeah, like the folds around people's eyes.
...aaaaaaand the one you're most likely to know of has a yellow lightsaber.

(He's surprising in that he actually turns good though, that doesn't happen much for Dark Jedi. Does immediately get killed afterwards though, so no credit given.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

At least the Serocco from Kotor 2 are actually humans, they just all come from the planet of Korean boy band hotties.

don't forget the Pyn'gani

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Pyn%27gani

quote:

The Pyn'gani were a Near-Human sentient species[1][3]—a classification for species very similar to Humans, but which through any number of factors evolved unique adaptations to their environment.[4] As such, the Pyn'gani were bipedal and closely resembled Humans but had a brown skin pigmentation.[1] They adapted to tolerate the extreme cold of their homeworld.[5]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tracecomplete posted:

(

That’s Rey

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

tracecomplete posted:

lol come on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Goon Boots posted:

lol come on

Believe it:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Believe it:

For what it's worth, Jan Ors in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games is also (mostly) portrayed by/as an Asian woman and nothing about her is depicted as being racist in the slightest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, Jan Ors in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games is also (mostly) portrayed by/as an Asian woman and nothing about her is depicted as being racist in the slightest.

Yeah. Jan is from Alderaan, I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh I know, but Jan is also an asian human and not a near-human species that happens to be named after eyefolds associated with asians.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Epicanthix

Everything about this article reads like someone made them space Japanese, and then decided to make them a separate species.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 17, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I don't think "Epicanthix" actually came from the game. I think that was retroactively applied to from like a card game or something, but it's been A While.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not from the game, no, but whoever picked that name and wrote an entire "inscrutable Asian" culture around it has some 'splaining to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

Yeah, I don't think "Epicanthix" actually came from the game. I think that was retroactively applied to from like a card game or something, but it's been A While.

Yeah, it came from the Shadows of the Empire novel as a way of explaining why there's Asian people in space instead of just describing them as looking like Asian people because it turns out Steve Perry is really kind of :yikes: when you get down to it and Shadows of the Empire was actually a really racist novel for its time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dash Rendar heated gamer moment

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

"Whoa, I didn't realize that the name of the Epicanthix species was probably derived from epicanthic fold. That's… uncomfortable."
―Daniel Wallace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDkGLFGbTsE
Danny watches the Netflix Marmaduke animated movie. It is surprisingly ugly and Pete Davidson (who voices Marmaduke) sounds like he would rather be anywhere else.
he could've watched The Sea Beast, it's clear when a film has Netflix's actual interest and care put in, as that one could literally be a theatrical Disney release and no one would question it

I mean that doesn't result in a funny video though

e: movies like marmaduke I assume Netflix is able to get exclusive rights for pretty cheap, compared to something that likely cost over $50m like Sea Beast (just assuming). and it is, of course insulting in its existence, but it also is just there for the sake of content volume. it's interesting how many european animated films they have, if you just go through the family animation section. so much stuff i'd never heard of and... well, maybe better than marmaduke, but probably in the realm of 'marginally mediocre' compared to Netflix's "official" animated output like Klaus, The Willoughbys, Back from the Outback, and Sea Beast.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 17, 2022