Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

he says at the end of the video that he'd like to take one of his own children up a route like that some day

Darwinism in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah in a few generations his freakish mountain children will rule supreme, chucking boulders from the unassailable cliffs at the drowning peasants

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One of the most amazing parts to me is that Alex is a really, really good coach. That's pretty rare imo for people who are true standouts in their field; coaching skill doesn't come along with the talent. Especially for really independent solo sports like this, and especially when Alex is such a unique freak, you would expect the opposite. What a cool thing for him to have cultivated that attitude.

I also learned that youtube censors "die" out of their closed captions lmao

e: like a really interesting compare & contrast is the new Tony Hawk documentary, Until the Wheels Fall Off. I totally recommend it in general, but it's especially interesting compared.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Scott should do a climb with him

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wow that's a good video. Feels much more real than free solo, I don't climb but can relate to that guy vs honnold is a different species. Interesting to see that free soloing is like cave diving- yes insta death is ever present, but one of the main hazards you have to watch for is your own mental stability. Keep your cool and you've got a decent chance, lose your cool and you're toast.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

When you're so good at what you do that inviting a friend to hang out could easily kill them of course you gotta develop good sales skills.

But, seriously, Alex just seems to have a natural chill attitude to being alive that most of us crave.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Well they go into that in Free Solo. Like how his brain is like missing fear infrastructure that is present in most people to keep them from dying by falling off cliffs and stuff.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have a friend like that, doesn't seem to process danger and fear the same way most of us do.

He's chronically injured, has broken dozens of bones.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nocheez posted:

I have a friend like that, doesn't seem to process danger and fear the same way most of us do.

Does he keep them in a storage unit or is this more of a display collection?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Does he keep them in a storage unit or is this more of a display collection?

You can see his lower leg meat flex in a very weird way when he moves his legs, due to a compound tib/fib fracture that bounced around for an hour from rural WV to the nearest thing that resembled an ER. He played kickball on a non-competitive co-ed team with a very obviously broken foot. He's a museum of horrors.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds like he also doesn't process pain

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That's a good point, he is too tough for his own good and won't show it when it really does hurt badly.

I guess that's why he went ahead and got married and had children. :rimshot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had a friend like that. His first traumatic brain injury removed most of his sense of danger, and while he had chronic migranes he also became very care-free toward injury. He was physically extremely fit and believed he could heal from anything (when I pointed out the chronic migranes from the head injury as evidence that wasn't true, he'd just nod and laugh but not change his belief at all).

So he refused to wear a helmet while riding his bike recklessly for years, and suffered two more head injuries from falls/accidents. Now he's got the emotional maturity of a child, can barely talk straight, has double-vision due to one of his eyes not lining up right any more, is prone to wildly impulsive behavior, and last I heard he was homeless and living in a tent somewhere in hawaii. I had to cut him off completely because he couldn't control his impulse to spam my email, phone, etc. with nonsense all day every day. Really sad.

Anyway the point is I wish we didn't just enable people who engage in this sort of behavior, although taking away their freedom also seems like a really harsh thing to do. I guess just shrug and feel bad for their family and especially kids who are gonna wonder when they're gone why climbing was so much more important than getting to experience the lives of their family and see their kids grow up.

The dude's skills are incredible though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

The dude's skills are incredible though.

I don't think that is quite true, considering the results.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I skipped around in that video and the one guy said "if you get stuck, I can help you through it". loving how? You're both just clinging onto the side of a cliff. Then my hands got really sweaty and I turned it off.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway the point is I wish we didn't just enable people who engage in this sort of behavior, although taking away their freedom also seems like a really harsh thing to do.

I suppose it would have been better if this article said that "Ryan Hawks, age 65, slumped over at his desk and died in his cubicle after 40 years of faithful service to Acme Incorporated. He was just five years away from a meager pension that would have allowed him to eke out his sunset years living like a dog. He leaves behind a wife who hasn't slept with him in 20 years and a couple of kids who were too busy with their own problems to care about what he was doing."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a huge spectrum between doing insanely dangerous poo poo that leaves your children parentless and working a boring 9-5 at the generic corporation. You can do fun stuff without ever having to be in a situation where you have to say "All my friends who did this with me are dead now from doing the thing wrong." Those two parents who climbed everest together, died, and left their children as orphans were idiots. That guy in some documentary I saw who liked to fly his wingsuit right next to cliffs is (or was) an idiot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I don't think that is quite true, considering the results.

I meant Honnold's skills

Epitope posted:

I suppose it would have been better if this article said that "Ryan Hawks, age 65, slumped over at his desk and died in his cubicle after 40 years of faithful service to Acme Incorporated. He was just five years away from a meager pension that would have allowed him to eke out his sunset years living like a dog. He leaves behind a wife who hasn't slept with him in 20 years and a couple of kids who were too busy with their own problems to care about what he was doing."

I understand. Most people are incapable of internalizing the difference between, say, a 1/10,000 chance of dying (like from skydiving or something) and a 1/100 chance of dying (like from freeclimbing a cliff or something). They both just seem like "very risky" or "not very risky" and our brains aren't well equipped to grok that one of those things is a hundred times riskier than the other.

It's also really hard to compare two different exciting activities on some kind of qualitative scale of fun. Is skydiving a hundred times less thrilling than freeclimbing? Well, obviously that's subjective. Nevertheless, I think it's reasonable to say that risks should be commensurate with rewards, and it also sure seems like there must be ways to find excitement and adventure in your life that don't constantly kill a huge percentage of everyone who does them.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 14, 2022

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Epitope posted:

or you could just climb with a rope lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why not just ask him climb with chains, maan

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Epitope posted:

Those aren't the only two choices. You can do a somewhat extreme hobby like mountain biking, or skydiving, right? The chances of dying are there, but are relatively low for some very good thrills.

I toned down my adrenaline chasing since I've had children, but I still try to send it a bit when I get the chance.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anyone has the right to die horribly on absurdly dangerous adventures. Why they would choose to have kids and then carry on is beyond me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
look you can either die 10 years before the average US age of death after grinding yourself down in capitalist misery and never having engaged with your children or you can follow a daredevil life and die somewhat before that after never having engaged with your children

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Skateboarding or weightlifting are really unlikely to kill you, but look at the Tony Hawk or Ronnie Coleman documentaries for super interesting insights into how much they can gently caress you up. It feels like Alex Honnold is at least avoiding injury better than that, although I guess we have to wait 20 years to find out.

I thought while he was coaching him, the most interesting exchange was like: at our level, fatigue isn't a problem at all. Basically the only way you'd die is if you fainted. And there are lots of other situations when fainting suddenly would kill you, too. Hard to argue with that.

Cojawfee posted:

I skipped around in that video and the one guy said "if you get stuck, I can help you through it". loving how? You're both just clinging onto the side of a cliff. Then my hands got really sweaty and I turned it off.
We don't get to see what the options are because the other guy keeps it together. But Alex did have a handful of other outs ready for him, like if he had hated the test climb, Alex says they could just have gone around the back and gotten to the peak just the same by hiking, and the vibe is that it was a legit option and he wouldn't have been disappointed. It is possible that if he freaked out, there could have been ropes and hardware stashed with the cameras and snacks. Or maybe he just meant going down next to him and coaching move-by-move.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My stepdad used to do motorcycle road racing with the AFM when he was already in his 40s. That's a lot less dangerous than what Honnold does (deaths in club motorcycle racing are very very rare) and still, so I gather, really loving thrilling. Takes a similar degree of investment in time and money, has elements of competition (if you want), you can travel the world doing it (if you want), and in the great majority of cases a tiny mistake isn't instantly fatal, most crashes are survivable.

He liked watching the Isle of Man TT race on TV but told me those bikers were insane and he'd never do that. I think participating in that race is something on the order of what Honnold does, or an attempt to summit Everest - if you do it you need to be aware that you're taking like a 1-2% chance of death every time, and some component of that risk is totally uncontrollable, no matter how skilled you are you could just eat poo poo from an avalanche or a rock comes out from under you and you're dead.

That's the thing, you can mountain climb with ropes, don't enter the literal "death zone" on a mountain that kills experts and amateurs all the time, and enjoy your exciting life and cool sport responsibly.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't try and regulate away the sweet content

(Jokes aside, sorry about your friend)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cojawfee posted:

Guidance and mental support, I imagine. I don't think the climb is technically all too difficult for him so it's unlikely he'd get in trouble due to any physical inability to proceed. If you get tunnel vision and can't figure out how to get up, someone else can tell you hey, see that, you can just go over there. And if you start getting too nervous they can calm you down. Just talk you through it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Or the guy was pretending to be more scared than he really was to make the video go viral. He's a professional influencer and that video's been a big hit.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Achmed Jones posted:

that sounds like he also doesn't process pain

It's a thing. A nephew of mines friend has a genetic condition.

It's minor, he's pretty much fine intellectually and physically. But part of it is he has a massive pain tolerance and he is fearless of risk.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 14, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

My stepdad used to do motorcycle road racing with the AFM when he was already in his 40s. That's a lot less dangerous than what Honnold does (deaths in club motorcycle racing are very very rare) and still, so I gather, really loving thrilling. Takes a similar degree of investment in time and money, has elements of competition (if you want), you can travel the world doing it (if you want), and in the great majority of cases a tiny mistake isn't instantly fatal, most crashes are survivable.

He liked watching the Isle of Man TT race on TV but told me those bikers were insane and he'd never do that. I think participating in that race is something on the order of what Honnold does, or an attempt to summit Everest - if you do it you need to be aware that you're taking like a 1-2% chance of death every time, and some component of that risk is totally uncontrollable, no matter how skilled you are you could just eat poo poo from an avalanche or a rock comes out from under you and you're dead.

That's the thing, you can mountain climb with ropes, don't enter the literal "death zone" on a mountain that kills experts and amateurs all the time, and enjoy your exciting life and cool sport responsibly.

Agreed.

I think this outlier thing happens in everything that gives you adrenaline. Most people go more more morreee oh gently caress and quit or back up a bit.

I worked on one guys car who went 200hp road race to 300hp turbo road race to 480hp lmao group b style road race and quit.

Another person had me slap a turbo on his Hayabusa. When he brought it up I told him to skip the expense and just get into wingsuits. He rode it once and sold it. The guy who bought it is into wing suits now.

It's drugs. Most people don't. Some do and go that's cool and move on or just a little drugs. A very few wind up tcc super stars.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

It's drugs. Most people don't. Some do and go that's cool and move on or just a little drugs. A very few wind up tcc super stars.

That's a decent analogy because parents who are addicted to dangerous, harmful drugs receive alternately scorn or sometimes genuine attempts to help, but the only ones who encourage them to keep taking more drugs are other druggies.

Whereas people who are addicted to spectacular adrenaline sports receive encouragement from both other people in their insane sport and also most everyone else they know or meet who are very impressed by their bravery and achievements. Gosh, they say, you're gonna go for everest! Wow! You have so much drive, I know you'll make it, go for it, YOLO, don't listen to the negative nancies! Ooh you're a heroin addict? Cool, what's the most amount of heroin you've ever shot up at once, I wanna watch you go for a new record

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

gohuskies posted:

He's a professional influencer

I hate that term so goddamn much

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I hate that term so goddamn much

Mentally (or using Greasemonkey) replace it with "influenza".

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Climbing Enforcement Agency (CEA) was formed under the second Trump administration. The "war on climbing" was ostensibly intended to prevent deaths and orphaned children, though critics claim it was a tool to harass political enemies.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

That's a decent analogy because parents who are addicted to dangerous, harmful drugs receive alternately scorn or sometimes genuine attempts to help, but the only ones who encourage them to keep taking more drugs are other druggies.

Whereas people who are addicted to spectacular adrenaline sports receive encouragement from both other people in their insane sport and also most everyone else they know or meet who are very impressed by their bravery and achievements. Gosh, they say, you're gonna go for everest! Wow! You have so much drive, I know you'll make it, go for it, YOLO, don't listen to the negative nancies! Ooh you're a heroin addict? Cool, what's the most amount of heroin you've ever shot up at once, I wanna watch you go for a new record

I'd never considered it before but it's true. The ONLY exception in my case is my mom. She hates that I'm into motorsports. Everyone else? What's the fastest you've ever gone is question 1.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I met a guy who had a broken hand. I started asking about it and what he does, the answer is MMA. He tells me about the other half dozen injuries he's had the past 3 or 4 years.

He was kind of offended when I told him he should look into another line of work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

I meant Honnold's skills

I understand. Most people are incapable of internalizing the difference between, say, a 1/10,000 chance of dying (like from skydiving or something) and a 1/100 chance of dying (like from freeclimbing a cliff or something). They both just seem like "very risky" or "not very risky" and our brains aren't well equipped to grok that one of those things is a hundred times riskier than the other.

It's also really hard to compare two different exciting activities on some kind of qualitative scale of fun. Is skydiving a hundred times less thrilling than freeclimbing? Well, obviously that's subjective. Nevertheless, I think it's reasonable to say that risks should be commensurate with rewards, and it also sure seems like there must be ways to find excitement and adventure in your life that don't constantly kill a huge percentage of everyone who does them.

Sort of like differentiating between eyeballing cannabis and eyeballing carfentanil dosage.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Outrail posted:

Sort of like differentiating between eyeballing cannabis and eyeballing carfentanil dosage.

I can't see "eyeballing" anymore without thinking about that one guy in TCC sticking powder into his eyes

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Epitope posted:

The Climbing Enforcement Agency (CEA) was formed under the second Trump administration. The "war on climbing" was ostensibly intended to prevent deaths and orphaned children, though critics claim it was a tool to harass political enemies.

MOUNTAIN PATROL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can't see "eyeballing" anymore without thinking about that one guy in TCC sticking powder into his eyes

The Corinthian Crunch