Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

New Walkabout level coming on the 28th and it looks to be better than the last

I wonder, will the price be the same as the other DLC? They are hyping this one more and it has the license of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The last I heard of the Apple headset was that the team behind it had a bunch of smart ideas like being wireless with a basestation providing the actual power but Jony Ive was still lingering on the project and stopped them doing that so supposedly they're just throwing out the first gen as a devkit and then doing the basestation idea for gen 2 now Apple have finally dumped Ive completely.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, your reading comprehension is, ironically, also poo poo! :P

Read it again.
In 2023 the first device will launch. The news is about a theoretical 2nd gen device, which would have a more affordable price, for 2025.

Hm, yes I suppose reading it would have helped.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder, will the price be the same as the other DLC? They are hyping this one more and it has the license of the film.

Looks to be the same as all the others!

https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1544791489062096896?s=20&t=x6kZRxoI1leAKEibZhpWfA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Next question. What is the best current dlc for Walkabout Minigolf? The list:

Sweetopia
Shangri-La
Gardens of Babylon
El Dorado

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commodore_64 posted:

Thanks! I managed to snag a 3 pack of trackers and waist/foot straps after reading your post. Looks like they did staggered releases for different areas and there was still a pack left by 1:30 PST. I'm probably just going to use it to kick things in Blade and Sorcery, but I've really been wanting to try it!

Congrats! :peanut:

I use them to kick at my friends in VRChat, personally. I really need to give Blade and Sorcery a go myself, I keep forgetting it's full-body compatible as well.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm interested in getting a dedicated router or access point to use just for AirLink (with the main router still serving the rest of the house). I am lucky enough to live in a pretty rural spot where I've got the 5Ghz band pretty much to myself. I can see from scanning that my neighbours aren't using it and I've put all the other devices in my house on 2.4Ghz, but my main router is a bog standard ISP issued one and in a different room, so I want to get something with WiFi 6 in the same room as the Quest.

In this scenario, does it actually need to be a router or will an access point do? Or is there some advantage to using an actual router, like maybe it stops the traffic having to go through your main router? Or you set up a separate subnet or something?

I'm not too clued up on in-depth networking stuff but I am a dev and more than willing/capable to put in the time to get the optimum set-up so feel free to give all the gory details.

e: Whatever the answer, I'm looking for recommendations, something I can get in the UK.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not really answering your question, but Airlink is really bad. The Virtual Desktop app is 100 times better for wireless game streaming.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Agreed. And pretty sure a 5ghz AP is fine.

airlink is very bad imo. tried it recently again for Luke Ross VR compatibility and it was laggy and the interface is terrible.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

njsykora posted:

The last I heard of the Apple headset was that the team behind it had a bunch of smart ideas like being wireless with a basestation providing the actual power but Jony Ive was still lingering on the project and stopped them doing that so supposedly they're just throwing out the first gen as a devkit and then doing the basestation idea for gen 2 now Apple have finally dumped Ive completely.

Apple is coming out with some sort of ultrawideband personal mesh network tech, and there is some talk about it possibly being used in their HMD for wireless streaming. If they dumped the basestation, it's possible they are going to use it to connect the HMD directly to their computers or phones.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not really answering your question, but Airlink is really bad. The Virtual Desktop app is 100 times better for wireless game streaming.

I've been switching between both, and currently I'm getting better image quality with AirLink. VD I can see the compression, pixelation in hazy/smoky areas, and the image isn't as sharp, edges are fuzzy.

I was playing Alyx using VD for quite a while, because with AirLink I've been getting slight juddering on very close objects for SteamVR stuff. Switched back to AirLink to see if it had got any better after an update and the contrast was stark. It was so noticeably better that I decided to just live with the juddering. Maybe I need to configure VD a little better or something, I dunno.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Airlink makes compression extremely obvious. Blade and Sorcery looks like a JPEG50 image if you stop chopping heads off and look at the environment.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 16, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I guess it must depend on your setup to some extent then because my experience has been the other way round.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chippy posted:

I guess it must depend on your setup to some extent then because my experience has been the other way round.

to be fair it looks exactly the same when connected through USB-C, so it might just be me being cursed

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

chippy posted:

In this scenario, does it actually need to be a router or will an access point do? Or is there some advantage to using an actual router, like maybe it stops the traffic having to go through your main router? Or you set up a separate subnet or something?

I think access point is preferable, but you should be able to configure a router to work as an AP.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U router as an AP for the Quest 2, by disabling the DHCP server and not connecting anything on the WAN port so it won't do NATting. I've connected the Asus to my internet router and then connected my gaming desktop to the the Asus.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
For the AirLink versus Virtual Desktop discussion, the problem seems to be that none of us know if our systems are working as they should. We need someone to record high framerate, high resolution video directly from the eye pieces to show how they should look.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Turin Turambar posted:

Sweetopia
Shangri-La
Gardens of Babylon
El Dorado

I really like Shargi-La, i will go back and just watch the lanterns float sometimes. Its a nice serene lil place.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Saukkis posted:

I think access point is preferable, but you should be able to configure a router to work as an AP.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U router as an AP for the Quest 2, by disabling the DHCP server and not connecting anything on the WAN port so it won't do NATting. I've connected the Asus to my internet router and then connected my gaming desktop to the the Asus.

A lot of routers have an AP mode, but if I need to buy something either way is there a reason to do it like that as opposed to getting an AP without router features in the first place? I guess maybe more choice in routers or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Sweetopia
Shangri-La
Gardens of Babylon
El Dorado

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really like Shargi-La, i will go back and just watch the lanterns float sometimes. Its a nice serene lil place.

I think Gardens of Babylon and Sweetopia are my two favorites out of this group. I haven't tried El Dorado though. Gardens of Babylon is just plain relaxing, especially in the night map. And I liked Sweetopia because I'm usually playing after ripping a fat vape and I basically want to eat everything in those levels.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

chippy posted:

A lot of routers have an AP mode, but if I need to buy something either way is there a reason to do it like that as opposed to getting an AP without router features in the first place? I guess maybe more choice in routers or something.

Not really, but my understanding is that AP-only devices are a niche product and you can probably find a router for cheaper.

Your best option is to search this thread for router models that people have had good experience with. Keywords like Wifi5/Wifi6/Asus/TP-Link.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm not really a router knowledgeable person but this is from Virtual Desktops Discord.

code:
Recommended Routers
The following routers have been reported to work reliably from a number of users.
High End (AX) - Asus RT-AX86U (300 US$)
Mid Range (AX) - Asus RT-AX55 (145 US$)
Low End (AX) - Netgear WAX202 (60 US$)
Low End (AC) - TP-Link Archer C6 or A6 (40 US$)
(We don’t recommend TP-Link AX routers as they have lots of issues)
the links

Asus RT-AX86U
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX86U-802-11ax-Lifetime-Internet/dp/B08BJHS3X7
Asus RT-AX55
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-AX1800-WiFi-Router-RT-AX55/dp/B08J6CFM39
Netgear WAX202
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097HMLTQX
C6
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-C6-802-11AC-Ethernet/dp/B07RWD9ZTW
A6
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07N1L5HX1

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been using a cheap Archer C7 that I stole acquired from work and it's done just fine with Virtual Desktop, but those recommended routers do have me wondering if it could be time for an upgrade... 🤔

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Saukkis posted:

Not really, but my understanding is that AP-only devices are a niche product and you can probably find a router for cheaper.

This was my experience. I was originally going to just buy an AP to connect to my existing router but after searching for ages there isn't (or wasn't when I looked) anything available that isn't like enterprise grade networking gear with a price tag to match. In the end I just replaced my old router with a nice modern TP-Link one.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cheers for the info. Also found the bandwidth slider in VD and turned it up to 150Mbps and that's improved it a lot.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I setup a good dedicated router, and I didn't notice any difference. I think my issue is that I have a gazillion wifi and bluetooth signals around me. Trying different router channels didn't do anything. I get better performance at my parents house with their dirt cheap ISP included router, presumably because there aren't other signals around. Ditching airlink for VD gave me a really nice improvement though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I've had extremely good luck with an Eero 6, but definitely only when I connect through the base not the mesh connected unit in another room

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

chippy posted:

AirLink gets way too aggressive with dialing back the bitrate the second you get the tiniest brief spike in network latency. I’d bet most of the image quality issues are due to using dynamic bitrate and/or lack of a dedicated router (which you kinda need to really crank up static bitrate).

I also noticed yesterday that they’re finally tracking the thumbrests, so good job to whichever overworked dev on the PCVR team pushed that update.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Quest 2’s volume gets so much louder if you cover your ears with your hands. Certain games the volume is a little too low, but if I plug in a headset I get a stupid volume too high warning and the volume level gets restricted. I tried doing a fix using sidequest but it still happens. Might just play certain games with a tshirt over my head.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
welp good news is i was able to play through most of the tutorial of Blade&Sorcery without getting motion sick. The bad news is, onceI exited the cave, the beach environment caused my laptop to chug to a stop. It doesn't look like viveport has as generous a refund policy as the steam store or the occulous store.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

chippy posted:

Same experience for me. Airlink is clear and sharp while VD is muddy and colors are slightly off. I only use VD anymore to play DRG modded for VR since that doesn't work with Airlink.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How is that DRG VR mod coming along?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ChocNitty posted:

The Quest 2’s volume gets so much louder if you cover your ears with your hands. Certain games the volume is a little too low, but if I plug in a headset I get a stupid volume too high warning and the volume level gets restricted. I tried doing a fix using sidequest but it still happens. Might just play certain games with a tshirt over my head.

you could always do the cottage cheese hack :v:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/s9f71r/quest_audio_quality_boost_cottage_cheese/

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Are wired headphones not an option here?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Are wired headphones not an option here?

ChocNitty posted:

if I plug in a headset I get a stupid volume too high warning and the volume level gets restricted. I tried doing a fix using sidequest but it still happens.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Ah, I can’t read good. That’s the problem.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My friend has a battery powered mini amp for her headphones.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I get other audio problems with the Quest 2, it's just bad at audio I think.

The headphones for the vive das, some sounds (like the beatsaber menu music, or just a lot of things in vrchat) crackle. It only seems to happen over link, not that I've noticed playing any quest native stuff, and only when theres not a lot of sounds if that makes sense (beatsaber most songs sound fine, but it's when it's something that has some silence like I was saying beatsaber menu music is when it crackles.) At first I thought the speakers were blown or something but plugged into anything else, which was a pain to test because of how short the cable is, and they sound fine.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

explosivo posted:

How is that DRG VR mod coming along?

It more or less mostly works and is a ton of fun but there's still a lot missing like power attack and ways to activate perks like dash/heightened senses (getting a Steeve works fortunately) plus some big bugs like the LOK-1 not acquiring targets unless you're the host and the EPC not working at all. But if you know them and work around them (always host to play engineer, pick another secondary as driller, etc.) it's so good. Heh, if you want to be a cheater, the sludge pump is bugged in the mod to always do a fully charged shot without holding to charge it and it only costs 1 ammo.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 17, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lozareth posted:

Same experience for me. Airlink is clear and sharp while VD is muddy and colors are slightly off. I only use VD anymore to play DRG modded for VR since that doesn't work with Airlink.

I turned up the bandwidth slider in VD and it's improved it a lot. Although it's still not better than AirLink, and doing that did seem to introduce some occasional jitter, which is the only problem I had with Airlink anyway. Maybe a router in the same room will sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, I might wait a bit to check it out then. Sounds promising but maybe not quite there yet.