Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Bard PL usually involves stacking damage shields, agroing lots of things, letting them beat themselves to death against your DS. You cannot do any other damage otherwise. Including ripostes. Before they die someone in the PL group tags everything with PBAOE damage. When the mobs fall over the AE caster will get the xp. As your group levels up you’re really only limited by staying alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

This game is 20+ years old, so most guilds expect most people to know how everything works. If there's an officer that seems chill, maybe let them know it's your first time playing and they can link you up with someone who can help you know about that stuff.

Specifically for the inny fight (and CT), they both do an aoe with gravity flux with a dispell component. The DMF means the gflux doesn't move you, but if it gets dispelled, you're out of the fight, basically. So before engaging, you want to manage your buffs to make sure dmf is fairly deep as generally dispells start at your first buff and work their way down.

This is also true for charm pets, enduring breath in underwater zones, haste on melees, etc. But for those two fights DMF is most important, as the gflux will make it hard to do damage and on cazic it's a knockback with a snare in an open zone that will fully remove you from the fight.

People often use instant cast buff items (spyglass, jboots) to keep a 'junk' buff in their top slot. There are a lot more items in kunark available to help do that, including the grim aura earring.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So it dispells your first received buff first?

So you want...junk and THAN you want DMF?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Waroduce posted:

So it dispells your first received buff first?

So you want...junk and THAN you want DMF?

more or less, yeah. "Junk buffs" are buffs that you don't care about that live on buff slots 1-5 (or 1- however many you can get) for the sole purpose of being dispel fodder. Ideally you put your jboots on buff slot 1 (the most accessible / everyone should have this clicky thing) then fill in a couple more with junk like, endure dis/fire/cold (UNLESS you're doing a fight where you want res), enduring breath, ultravision, see invis (Bracer of hidden clicky can do this from Kunark, and is super easy to farm). This way once the boss does a dispel, you lose one of your junk buffs, you refresh your clicky to put it back in slot 1, and continue the fight.

The deeper down the buff list you bury important buffs, the less likely they get dispelled from you. As a monk i'd stack jboots, see invis, levitate, guise illusion, THEN ask for resists / haste / stat buffs I needed. I expect the levitate & guise to fall off eventually, but i can refresh them between fights. Having two clicky buffs on the first two slots mean I can basically always keep every other buff around.

Sometimes dispel can act a bit funny and peel buffs behind the first couple slots. i'll be honest I don't understand why that happens sometimes, so it isn't always a failsafe, but generally speaking it should be considered best practice to do that. Later bosses get much nastier dispels that would require more clicky buffs, so collecting them is a good priority if you intend to do raiding long-term. Jboots, bracer of hidden, that goblin earring.. all great choices to farm up pretty easily.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Sometimes dispel can act a bit funny and peel buffs behind the first couple slots. i'll be honest I don't understand why that happens sometimes, so it isn't always a failsafe, but generally speaking it should be considered best practice to do that. Later bosses get much nastier dispels that would require more clicky buffs, so collecting them is a good priority if you intend to do raiding long-term. Jboots, bracer of hidden, that goblin earring.. all great choices to farm up pretty easily.

Iirc, it does a magic resist check on each buff sequentially until it hits the end of the list or the number of buffs it needs to remove. For most aoe dispells on boss fights, the chances for a spell not to be removed are fairly low, but dungeon mobs will rip your 7th buff randomly surprisingly often.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

onesixtwo posted:

once the boss does a dispel, you lose one of your junk buffs, you refresh your clicky to put it back in slot 1, and continue the fight.

Just wanted to emphasize this part. Having insta-cast / clickies are pretty mandatory for stuff that AE debuffs often. You need to get your junk buffs back up asap.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Our hypothetical group if we manage to PL everyone and keep everyone engaged is Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Necro and my wild card I need to decide. Monk for pulls and boxing the bard seems viable or keeping the bard going and doing like a mage or something thats less braindead than wizard.

No enchanter? If I was to make an alt it would be an enchanter, which would fill the group out nicely.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Oh sorry porterhouse is the the chanter

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Oh sorry porterhouse is the the chanter

So you have a full 6 man group? Or is there still a spot open. I’d love to level up an alt, and I wouldn’t mind picking a class that worked well with the group. Although 2 chanters would be pretty stupid powerful…

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have the bard I like maining and I guess I need to figure out if i want to keep doing that, or if I wanna PL something else and box the bard. I'm debating Monk/Mage or some other caster since pet tanking seems pretty viable for the foreseable future despite my desire to go SK its probably semi useless.

Our hypothetical group if we manage to PL everyone and keep everyone engaged is Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Necro and my wild card I need to decide. Monk for pulls and boxing the bard seems viable or keeping the bard going and doing like a mage or something thats less braindead than wizard.

Mage/Necro pets are pretty terrible tanks for a long long time. Charm pets work as tanks for the right zone/target but then are useless if you want to kill something with Mitigation of the Mighty. If you are interested in SK you won’t regret rolling one. The only downside is the effort needed to gear up and the fact that they need that gear to be powerful.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

RCarr posted:

So you have a full 6 man group? Or is there still a spot open. I’d love to level up an alt, and I wouldn’t mind picking a class that worked well with the group. Although 2 chanters would be pretty stupid powerful…

Our mains are Bard and Enchanter. They’d be out of group for our alt leveling party. In party will be my new box cleric and box wizard, whatever Waro makes (sounds like monk or mage), and our friend’s necro. That leaves two slots one of which will occasionally go to my friend’s SK if we catch up to him later, but we’d def have room for you too!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Porterhaus posted:

Our mains are Bard and Enchanter. They’d be out of group for our alt leveling party. In party will be my new box cleric and box wizard, whatever Waro makes (sounds like monk or mage), and our friend’s necro. That leaves two slots one of which will occasionally go to my friend’s SK if we catch up to him later, but we’d def have room for you too!

Excellent username/av combo

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I rerolled on Mischief after deciding Vaniki wasn’t for me. Forgot that when Mischief first began some guy was bankrolling me and I had a ton of twink gear and plat already. Didn’t quite make it to my goal of 1-30 today but I’ll take it. 29 Zerker named Divi if anyone wants to group up, invite me to their guild, or just chat!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need to get my pick lock skill up to 200 for kunark. I happen to have 235 skill points....any reason i shouldn't dump them into pick lock?

Will I need sense/disarm traps or some other skill (sneak?) as a bard for content at some point in the future? Googling doesn't make it seem as much of a thing as being able to pick locks in the various Kunark dungeons and for VP.

Is there a handy tlp pick lock leveling guide around if dumping my stat points is a bad idea?

I've seen befallen till like 190 and train it or some door by the AOC in paineel?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

It gets expensive to put skill points into things past 100 or so? Best bet is to head into befallen on the bottom floor and pick the locked door for a movie or so.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

I need to get my pick lock skill up to 200 for kunark. I happen to have 235 skill points....any reason i shouldn't dump them into pick lock?

Will I need sense/disarm traps or some other skill (sneak?) as a bard for content at some point in the future? Googling doesn't make it seem as much of a thing as being able to pick locks in the various Kunark dungeons and for VP.

Is there a handy tlp pick lock leveling guide around if dumping my stat points is a bad idea?

I've seen befallen till like 190 and train it or some door by the AOC in paineel?

Unrest to start ?, then the elevator in paineel for picking locks.

I can't remember if disarm trap is useful, but the smashing rock in Solb is what people use, I think.

You can use hide+sneak to sell to vendors that don't like you (dubious) if you stand behind them. It could be useful for getting places invis without using your song or if some reason you didn't have a pipe.

Training with skill points starts to get very expe sive around the 50 skill marker. But otherwise they're useless.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I remember dumping about 60-80 points into lockpick then going directly to the paineel rock and capping there. You probably want some kind of auto clicker to save your sanity, I used AutoHotkey.

Luclin Ssra temple was the first place detect/disarm are mandatory from what I remember. Then it’s irrelevant again until Omens of War MPG group trials. You can probably safely ignore them for a while.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Waroduce posted:

There's a specific spot in permafrost where there are two boulders which can be lock picked. They're sort of on top of each other and it results in the ability to pick lock two doors at once essentially doubling your attempts in a given time.

I cant remember the exact spot but probably could find it by poking around in game or some light googling.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Solarin posted:

I remember dumping about 60-80 points into lockpick then going directly to the paineel rock and capping there. You probably want some kind of auto clicker to save your sanity, I used AutoHotkey.

Luclin Ssra temple was the first place detect/disarm are mandatory from what I remember. Then it’s irrelevant again until Omens of War MPG group trials. You can probably safely ignore them for a while.

nah theres group camps that need it in some expansions at least early on, its one of the few ways rogues get groups

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Where exactly? Lockpick sure, but for disarm/detect I honestly don’t know where the traps are relevant. Dragon Necropolis are really annoying but just plowing through them was what I always did there.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

Where exactly? Lockpick sure, but for disarm/detect I honestly don’t know where the traps are relevant. Dragon Necropolis are really annoying but just plowing through them was what I always did there.

Ssra has a mana drain curse trap that is really nasty.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are there any ways around the true box rule? I’d like to have a box but I don’t really want to buy another computer to do so.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

Are there any ways around the true box rule? I’d like to have a box but I don’t really want to buy another computer to do so.

Get an intel Nuc or other mini. They are dirt cheap.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah best bet is a SFF PC/NUC and then something like multiplicity and/or something that will split a monitor into sections so you can have multiple PCs displaying to a single monitor.

There's some sort of way to use VMs to bypass it but I think that was closed up recently? Not totally sure as I just run a bunch of mini/old PCs and multiplicity.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

I rerolled on Mischief after deciding Vaniki wasn’t for me. Forgot that when Mischief first began some guy was bankrolling me and I had a ton of twink gear and plat already. Didn’t quite make it to my goal of 1-30 today but I’ll take it. 29 Zerker named Divi if anyone wants to group up, invite me to their guild, or just chat!

Zerker is 51 now. Mischief is so much more populated than Vaniki by a mile.

The Zerker epic is also.. really easy? Back in the day I never even attempted the SK epic because of what it entailed but after 2ish hours of work I’ve done the first 2 fights and if I had help could feasibly wrap this up pretty quick here.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Hi friends, I hope everyone is having a fun time I'm kunark.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Hi friends, I hope everyone is having a fun time I'm kunark.

Hi kunark.
I’m taking a pause until luclin most likely, your content is just too second nature at this point. I will still be dragging my buddy’s necro through droga for a cos, however.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Hi kunark.
I’m taking a pause until luclin most likely, your content is just too second nature at this point. I will still be dragging my buddy’s necro through droga for a cos, however.

It's pronounced kubark, thank you!

I'm trying to main switch from shaman to enchanter in my guild. Enchanter is tons of fun in group and especially small group settings, but no fun on raids.

I had a great time duoing efreeti and taking out skarlon at 52. I flubbed the 4-spawn pull and couldn't get rokyl. I might try to do some "solo crypt shenanigans" to get hiero cloaks and a JBB. Looking for other neat challenges.

I enjoy the kubark group content but not the raid content. I missed the opening weekend due to a wedding so I'm doing it a little more casually this time around compared to Aradune and smelling the roses so to speak.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's pronounced kubark, thank you!

We were doing a Trak raid last week and the raid leader kept pronouncing it Trakohnon for some reason and got pissy when we kept making fun of him in raidsay.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

onesixtwo posted:

Hi kunark.

i poked around Droga tonight on Yeli and holy goddamn poo poo. That places is 100% automated bot farming for scales and salts for Chardok factioning. Can't get a mob in edgewise for all of the Mages strategically placed to murder every living thing. absolutely nobody responds to CC and people just act cagey as gently caress in there.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

cmdrk posted:

i poked around Droga tonight on Yeli and holy goddamn poo poo. That places is 100% automated bot farming for scales and salts for Chardok factioning. Can't get a mob in edgewise for all of the Mages strategically placed to murder every living thing. absolutely nobody responds to CC and people just act cagey as gently caress in there.

ya, unlike past TLPs there is no one really going around killing bots. We're mostly all on our own in a sandbox of doom.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

ya, unlike past TLPs there is no one really going around killing bots. We're mostly all on our own in a sandbox of doom.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

E: just don't forget to invis first.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 30, 2022

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

E: just don't forget to invis first.

So your saying, "pvp server!"?

If it let's me kill bots I'm in.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

You don’t necessarily have to invis. Just make a macro that says, “oh crap I’m sorry I didn’t know you were there :(“ hit it when you do a train, and you will never get slapped.

best part of the CoS camp at least is you can sit on a single ph spawn and eventually get one, even if someone is controlling the entire loop you can steal a spawn or two in the east room.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 30, 2022

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

So your saying, "pvp server!"?

If it let's me kill bots I'm in.

All servers are pvp servers.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
LOL so our guild blew up bc half the leadership team wanted to contest OW bat phone style and the other half don't

I can post some of the drama later, but what guilds are you guys in on Yelinak? I'd like to see VP and raid and stuff still. Just not sure where to go :(

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

LOL so our guild blew up bc half the leadership team wanted to contest OW bat phone style and the other half don't

I can post some of the drama later, but what guilds are you guys in on Yelinak? I'd like to see VP and raid and stuff still. Just not sure where to go :(

Lol. Victorem V, right? Wild.

Pillage and Plunder we're on Aradune and didn't seem that bad. I'm in <Warm Bodies> and the name delivers, but I'm mostly playing with a crew from Aradune that was leadership from <Qeynos Militiamen>. QM had a couple other goons in it and was mostly cool people, WB is solidly mid. If you want in, talk to me first. They said 8:30 EST to 12:30 EST MTTh.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I’ll probably join one of the offshoots until I blow all my DKP on something, then I’ll look elsewhere (unless it somehow turns out to be a worthwhile guild).

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
To be fair contesting ow targets in kunark is pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Lol. Victorem V, right? Wild.

Pillage and Plunder we're on Aradune and didn't seem that bad. I'm in <Warm Bodies> and the name delivers, but I'm mostly playing with a crew from Aradune that was leadership from <Qeynos Militiamen>. QM had a couple other goons in it and was mostly cool people, WB is solidly mid. If you want in, talk to me first. They said 8:30 EST to 12:30 EST MTTh.

I miss QM, that was a fun guild even if I joined late in its life.