Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Overbite posted:

So howst do I unlock the ??? ability on hero weapons, like on the Failnaught? I've 'failed' to unlock it and I'm on like chapter 12 or 13.

There's a blacksmith upgrade that allows you to "unleash" weapons, once you have it it costs 10-15 umbral steel per weapon and unlocks that weapon's special ability + granting a huge Mt/Durability boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Sydin posted:

There's a blacksmith upgrade that allows you to "unleash" weapons, once you have it it costs 10-15 umbral steel per weapon and unlocks that weapon's special ability + granting a huge Mt/Durability boost.

Thanks you. I feel like im at the end of the game here but everyone is in silver weapons or the occasional hero weapon. I know theres levin and stuff but i've never seen it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can upgrade iron and steel weapons to some of the fancier ones by forging them to +10 and using the Reforge option.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can upgrade iron and steel weapons to some of the fancier ones by forging them to +10 and using the Reforge option.

I saw that but the only options I've seen are the same weapon or sometimes a brave weapon, nothing special.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Unleashing is a separate effect from repairing/reforging, however to access it you need to upgrade the reforging path of the Forge tree. If you can repair Brave weapons you are getting the mats be able to do so at least.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Chiming in that I also like that Jeralt gets more of a chance to shine in this game. He just got used as a plot device in 3 Houses, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him in this game, especially since I'm playing GD and have Leonie.

I also thought it was really cool how Byleth came off. The early maps with them, they were SCARY. They were all glowing and blank faced and insanely powerful, and the scenes with Sothis made her seem a lot more sinister too.

Now that I've recruited Byleth and Jeralt, Byleth seems so...sad and lonely? In 3 Houses, her empty vessel thing didn't have as much resonance to me since she felt like a stand in for me, the player. (Though I think Edelgard's route did the best job of making something of that.) But seeing her from the outside, I feel bad for her for being a human experiment.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Inu posted:

Chiming in that I also like that Jeralt gets more of a chance to shine in this game. He just got used as a plot device in 3 Houses, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him in this game, especially since I'm playing GD and have Leonie.

I also thought it was really cool how Byleth came off. The early maps with them, they were SCARY. They were all glowing and blank faced and insanely powerful, and the scenes with Sothis made her seem a lot more sinister too.

Now that I've recruited Byleth and Jeralt, Byleth seems so...sad and lonely? In 3 Houses, her empty vessel thing didn't have as much resonance to me since she felt like a stand in for me, the player. (Though I think Edelgard's route did the best job of making something of that.) But seeing her from the outside, I feel bad for her for being a human experiment.

One of the best things about this game is that they made Jeralt, and even BYLETH, interesting characters. Like my hats are off to them.

Also, as soon as I saw that Raphael learns Rally Strength (gives the lead character 10 STRENGTH as an adjutant) from Dancer, I immediately bum rushed his training so that he could gloriously make his debut on the stage of battle. This loving game :allears:.

EDIT: Having just completed Hubert and Ferdinand’s A support, I can only say that Ferdinand’s naming still needs work. [spoiler]The twin jewels of the empire? Even Hubert found the innuendo in that.[spoiler]

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

jimmydalad posted:

One of the best things about this game is that they made Jeralt, and even BYLETH, interesting characters. Like my hats are off to them.

Also, as soon as I saw that Raphael learns Rally Strength (gives the lead character 10 STRENGTH as an adjutant) from Dancer, I immediately bum rushed his training so that he could gloriously make his debut on the stage of battle. This loving game :allears:.

EDIT: Having just completed Hubert and Ferdinand’s A support, I can only say that Ferdinand’s naming still needs work. The twin jewels of the empire? Even Hubert found the innuendo in that.
that's also the name of their paired ending in Houses :ssh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also once you get that A support, whenever you field Edelgard and Ferdinand and rack up a KO count with the latter, she will constantly reference it in her complement. “Where would the Empire be without its Twin Jewels?”

She fuckin loves it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/demileaf_/status/1547657211660316678?s=20&t=fm4hheIJZomYXVtnteFQng

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

"Alright let's pick Edelgard, wonder how different her route goes."

*Plays through the second battle*

"yo what the gently caress"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jon Irenicus posted:

"Alright let's pick Edelgard, wonder how different her route goes."

*Plays through the second battle*

"yo what the gently caress"

lol

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I decided to put Marianne in Holy Knight because she gets her innate ability from there and she also has her passive ability that benefits from being mounted. Holy poo poo. Slap an Arrow of Indra on her and she literally tears through battlefields as ice orbs fall around her and freeze anyone foolish enough to challenge her. She can heal, use Fimbulvetr (if you train her in Mage path) and the amount of hits you get from lances means triggering her Snowslip is incredibly easy.

Golden Deer kids are pretty nuts.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

jimmydalad posted:

So I decided to put Marianne in Holy Knight because she gets her innate ability from there and she also has her passive ability that benefits from being mounted. Holy poo poo. Slap an Arrow of Indra on her and she literally tears through battlefields as ice orbs fall around her and freeze anyone foolish enough to challenge her. She can heal, use Fimbulvetr (if you train her in Mage path) and the amount of hits you get from lances means triggering her Snowslip is incredibly easy.

Golden Deer kids are pretty nuts.

I love her ability because it's so easy to use and so effective. I ended up giving her the merc's whistle because I can't be bothered with abilities that require thinking.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also once you get that A support, whenever you field Edelgard and Ferdinand and rack up a KO count with the latter, she will constantly reference it in her complement. “Where would the Empire be without its Twin Jewels?”

She fuckin loves it.

No surprise that somebody who comes up with the “black eagle strike force” would love it

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m having extreme “FF Elixir” problem with the Merc Whistle

I dunno who to give it to cause giving it to Balthus helps with money grinding, Lorenz has Rondo of Roses which is absolutely absurd, I’ve talked about how ridiculous Marianne’s Snowslip is and there’s also a whole bunch of other characters with great abilities and it isn’t taking into account the lore reasons. Aaaaaaaaaaa.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

I’m having extreme “FF Elixir” problem with the Merc Whistle

You get one per playthrough, so you'll get more chances.

Your new skill replaces the character's original one (and anyone can use it) so the best use is really to get a good ability on a character who doesn't have one you like already.

But it still takes up the one accessory slot you get and i've found myself not using those items at all when it means not using the fetters of dromi which frankly is such a quality of life thing for any infantry unit not named Shez that i don't think i could do without them at this point.

So my recommendation is to just give it to your favourite, but aside from that, someone whose skill you want on a character who is going to end up being mounted a majority of the time, and thus can afford not to spend their accessory slot on Go Fast.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
My Fetters was basically locked to Edelgard when she was Emperor and not Wyvern Lord. Superspeed Armor running down pegasus knights during the "stop the couriers" bonus missions was fun.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I probably should use Fetters of Dromi more because cavalry movement is insane, but I also enjoy playing hot potato with the Knowledge Gem and giving my super squishy mages who die in one hit shields, especially when they are reclassed into things like Peg Knights or Horses.

Also I dunno what magic Fire Emblem has that has me liking the personalities of all the playable characters. Maybe it’s a Three Houses thing in particular *shiftily looks at Fates*.

It’s only my first playthrough but I’ve spent so much time grinding S ranks for missions that I’ve fully upgraded every facility and and now just burning money on forges and tactics academy when a new recruit joins. I think I went too hard.

Question, in NG+, are you able to do chapters and paralogues from previous runs or are you poo poo out of luck?

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
You can tab over to previous campaign maps at the record keeper on ng+. I’ve been casually redoing AG maps with the Deer crew on the current playthrough, so you’ll be good to go once you feel like it.

I do wish some skills were more clear about what they do, anyone know what Provoke and Nullify Magic do in practical terms?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Unwise_Cashew posted:

You can tab over to previous campaign maps at the record keeper on ng+. I’ve been casually redoing AG maps with the Deer crew on the current playthrough, so you’ll be good to go once you feel like it.

I do wish some skills were more clear about what they do, anyone know what Provoke and Nullify Magic do in practical terms?

Provoke - Enemies prioritize attacking you, and only attacking you. Which means that you in exchange for a target painted on your back by more aggressive enemies, they do not guard against your attacks, combat arts, and spells.

Nullify Magic - You are immune against spells. Not tome attacks; spells. Which if there was an enemy using Dark Spikes T as a spell against Bow Knight Ignatz and Ignatz has Nullify Magic equipped, it does absolutely nothing against him. If that same enemy was using the standard tome magic attacks, then they'll hurt him as normal. This means that enemy mages preparing their spells is a prime time for any character with this equipped to whittle down some of their stun gauge because they are basically wasting their time preparing an attack that does nothing to you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Provoke on its own is not that good, making enemies prioritize the holder and attack more frequently.

It is part of what I personally call the Trollface suite, namely all the abilities that boost perfect guards. I don't think the synergy is worth the ability slot, but with provoke and the rest of the suite you can simply tap guard and get a perfect guard from whichever mook is attacking right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a confession to make: I beat all three routes on Normal/Hard and never once blocked outside of the one time the tutorial forces you to do so. I just dodge, and on the missions where you're not allowed to dodge I just eat a ton of damage and live with the A rank.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't usually remember to guard either, but I will admit that the rare moments where i do remember to do it, pulling off a perfect guard is pretty satisfying.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I don't get the timing of blocking tbh and I feel like musous want you to be dodging more than blocking anyways. With dodging, you can also do animation cancels for some of your moves to extend combos and it help keeps you moving. Perfect guards are an elusive beast.

EDIT: At this point, I think I'll give the Whistle to Byleth cause time stop is op.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 17, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I gave the whistle to Leonie because her ability is perfect for someone who just wants to play on easy and mash attack to win - extending the length of Shez's combo when they're already way overleveled and armed just turns you into a lawn mower.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I don't hear it suggested ever, but I gave my whistle to Holst. One it's like a sniffbox of mushroom powder which is hilarious in its own right. But I feel like it's a straight upgrade for Shez personally, and crazy on all manner of characters, since it's like a mini awakening you can use to to just crush enemy guard. Plus since it also speeds up movement you can dash around easily, instead of Shez' clunky wisp form.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I gave it to Balthus because I missed the dopamine release of enemies exploding into coins every time you kill them (well, in a spectacular enough fashion anyway). No idea how significant the actual gold+ is, but I'm playing on easy and the game was broken before i even started a NG+ so i just did what i thought would feel cool (and i was right)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I gave it to Balthus because I missed the dopamine release of enemies exploding into coins every time you kill them (well, in a spectacular enough fashion anyway). No idea how significant the actual gold+ is, but I'm playing on easy and the game was broken before i even started a NG+ so i just did what i thought would feel cool (and i was right)

Honestly this is the smartest idea since its something like 350k to finish up a weapon and Balthus's personal is 9999 gold per battle. Stacks with despoil for another 9999. Super important.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like Jeritza’s for being a charm made from catnip that gives anyone big evil glowy weapons and the damage boost and free goomba stomp is nice.

Ferdinand’s may be the best generalist offensive one, just turns any character into a dervish blur.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Eimi posted:

Honestly this is the smartest idea since its something like 350k to finish up a weapon and Balthus's personal is 9999 gold per battle. Stacks with despoil for another 9999. Super important.

Finish up a weapon? Is there like a maximum forge count or something?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

jimmydalad posted:

Finish up a weapon? Is there like a maximum forge count or something?

Yeah they seem to go to +100

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Max out at +100 with 50 MT and 50 DUR boosts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

it is? i usually get like 3000 gold max from all my despoils and balthus. do you have to be soloing the map with them or what

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Annette's support chain with Shez sure takes a handbrake turn into depressing territory at the end, oof :smith: Reminds me of Ashe and Dedue's A support from Houses in some ways.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

In the end, I gave it to Balthus because I love money and big dumb idiots,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Excuse you, Balthus is a big smart idiot.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's tricky to google 'Three Hopes Game Modes' because it just throws up algorithmic garbage sites about the difficulties and classic/casual split. Is there any mode beyond the main story? Anything like the Adventure Mode from Hyrule Warriors or Empire Mode from the older Dynasty titles. I found those grinding/conquering/unlocking modes a ton of fun. Or does the main story have aspects of that already within it?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pierson posted:

It's tricky to google 'Three Hopes Game Modes' because it just throws up algorithmic garbage sites about the difficulties and classic/casual split. Is there any mode beyond the main story? Anything like the Adventure Mode from Hyrule Warriors or Empire Mode from the older Dynasty titles. I found those grinding/conquering/unlocking modes a ton of fun. Or does the main story have aspects of that already within it?

There's no adventure mode. It's just story missions and the less important between story missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

KittyEmpress posted:

There's no adventure mode. It's just story missions and the less important between story missions.
Thanks!