Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Been giving my family back in Yorkshire some tips on dealing with the coming heat, thought some people here may benefit. I'm British originally but have a fair bit of experience working outdoors in hot areas of Western Australia and am a firefighter in Victoria.

In Vic we generally cease outdoor work when the temp hits 34 degrees. In Western Australia they don't. WA is far hotter than Vic on a regular basis and the heat is absolutely something you need a period of acclimatization to. Don't underestimate it - people die here every year making that mistake and the forecast temps would be considered hot even here. Limit your activity during the hot parts of the day. Heat illness can sneak up on you, especially when not used to the heat.

Hydration is incredibly important. I can drink upwards of 15 litres of fluid on a hot firefighting day and not piss once. Important to alternate between electrolyte fluids and water. Little and often is better than trying to down litres to compensate.

Seek shade wherever possible. Do not stay in the sun. Counter to every British instinct I know.

If you have to be outside wear the dorkiest looking wide brim hat you can find.

Read up on the signs of heat stress and heat stroke. Heat stress should be addressed immediately. If you come across someone showing signs of heatstroke it is a medical emergency and they are in serious danger.

You can cool core temperature by cooling your hands and lower arms. We carry arm core cooling devices on our fire trucks but you can jerry rig a similar setup from bin bags, cooler bags and cold water.

If your home has any unshaded west or south facing glazing, try and cover it, ideally with some car windscreen reflective shields. The setting western sun will cook houses

If you are really struggling with a house that's too hot at a pinch your car aircon, if sufficiently gassed will work fine in those temps. Use insulating windscreen shields and park in the shade. Shopping centres or banks etc will be conditioned and can provide relief. Classic thing here is freezing to death in the bank in the middle of summer.

Solar panels will run ac units for basically nothing. AC units are also incredibly efficient for heating homes in the colder months. Something to consider if this weather becomes more frequent and your boiler needs replacing.

Watch your pets, especially dogs in hot weather.

If you have a breeze and low humidity 40 is pretty manageable. High humidity is a bitch and you just want to avoid it. Fortunately serious fires tend to happen in low humidity.

Don't drive into long dry grass!

Stay safe and it'll be pissing down and Gray again before you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Olpainless posted:

Basically everything is super toxic to cats.

In the other hand, cats are the perfect way of getting rid of anything that you'd consider a pest.

Get cats not poison.

I'm not sure being tortured to death by a cat is /necessarily/ any more humane than poison. If you're OK with one then why not the other?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the nice things about my job is I can basically walk into any shop, tell them I'm doing an audit, and then go sit in their deep freezer for half an hour. Quite fun wandering around in the middle of summer with frost on your eyebrows.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kin posted:

Do with this impending heatwave coming my wife is looking up all sorts to help keep the house cool for our 7 month old.

One of the things she's come across is to actually keep the windows shut to prevent the hot air from coming in.

This sounds like half understood bollocks to me because we've got thermometers around the house and it's consistently warmer inside than out.

We're in a well insulated new build but even if we weren't, wouldn't the insides of buildings naturally be warmer than outside unless the windows were open to drop the inside temperature to match that of the outside?

What she read said to keep the blinds closed (this bit makes sense) but keep the windows shut. Am I missing some clever sciencey thing here?

It might be an actual thing, but I've discovered that if I have a window on the front and back of the house open, some kind of draft between the two starts, even if there's no wind outside. So my plan was to try that to get a constant breeze blowing through.

This is my strategy every summer, blinds closed, windows shut, trap cool air inside the flat. I'm on the ground floor, so the floor itself is cold. The walls are very well insulated but the ceilings a little less so, so heat has a slightly easier time rising out of my flat than it does entering through the walls. But overall the temperature is extremely slow to change--if I make the mistake of letting the heat in, it takes days to get out.

In fairness, I live in glasgow, so heatwave weather is closer to 28 than 38, and it's possible that next week the heat outside will force its way in, but I think the principle is sound and opening my windows will only make things worse.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a big enough gap between some of my windows and the frames that I can fit my index finger through it. Weird that my favourite seasons are spring and autumn

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rishi was the shortest in the debate where the other 3 were women.

I mean I know it doesn't matter, but he's an asshat, so.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Private Speech posted:

I mean I know it doesn't matter,

[Citation required]

It shouldn’t matter but it does. Until people start regularly selecting short or even average height people as leaders, it’s going to be A Thing. Weird and unhelpful but that’s primates for you.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Get a cat to deal with the rodent problem, they said.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I remember a goon saying not to use poison as you'd then end up with rotting rats in the walls?

It's a shame OP is allergic to cats because a cat is really the easiest option. The rats know one is about and will promptly GTFO.

Basically there isn't a perfect solution to any of this stuff. It all depends on your living situation. I would say poison is the answer for someone like me with not that much money. Saying "just get a cat" seems silly as well unless you actually want one and can support it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Old fashioned mousetraps loaded with a piece of cheese, just like in Tom & Jerry, are remarkably effective and also a humane quick kill, in my experience.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Old fashioned mousetraps loaded with a piece of cheese, just like in Tom & Jerry, are remarkably effective and also a humane quick kill, in my experience.

Good u/n post combo (I know it's a partridge reference). :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC mice don't actually like cheese that much, peanut butter is much more a sure thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/CrossDavidB/status/1548273039376203777?t=WxAjwAyaaX_CHyMkEoE-sg&s=19

Interesting (if long) thread, and one last desperate attempt to summon twisto back.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

feedmegin posted:

I'm not sure being tortured to death by a cat is /necessarily/ any more humane than poison. If you're OK with one then why not the other?

Yeah anyone claiming a cat is more humane than a snap trap or poison clearly has never found what's left of a mouse after the cat has finished playing with it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/CrossDavidB/status/1548273039376203777?t=WxAjwAyaaX_CHyMkEoE-sg&s=19

Interesting (if long) thread, and one last desperate attempt to summon twisto back.

This is interesting, but it also reads like the architect has never lived in anything approaching his designs and hasn't given serious thought to practical concern. He gets very sniffy about council planning objections, but some of these (especially bin access and public transport issues) seem entirely reasonable:

https://twitter.com/CrossDavidB/status/1548274621807353859?t=w5YJfHVnxDEo-g8Ipz8OAA&s=19

It really reads like he doesn't consider how to get the bins out, or whether there are good public transport links for the size of the development; as far as I can tell he doesn't address these points at all and just ignores them. Similarly for the idea of managed private spaces: these can be an absolute joke if the property developers don't manage them properly or they get sold off or contracted out to the point where no one has any idea who is responsible for them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah anyone claiming a cat is more humane than a snap trap or poison clearly has never found what's left of a mouse after the cat has finished playing with it.

But it's ~~natural~~

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The cat is more to scare the mice away rather than eating them all.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Apologies for torygraph link:

Cladding victims freed to sell up as banks agree to lend on crisis-hit flats

Big news if this actually materialises. I can finally move my family out of the potential towering inferno.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mega Comrade posted:

If a cat has any appetite then all there will be left is some guts and maybe tail, but it will not give the coup de grace immediately. Dogs are better in that sense, they quickly shake a small prey so their neck breaks.

Lungboy posted:

True. The presence and the smell of cat's pee and possibly the rotting remains of their brothers and sisters is a strong warning. But young mice have to spread out even to dangerous areas in pursuit of food, such is nature.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lungboy posted:

Cats roaming territory is pretty large though
So they most likely will end up killing mice, regardless of if those mice wanted to come into your property or not.

Nothing wrong with this, cats just doing what it's evolved to do. If you'd like a new pet and you have a mouse problem then a cat is a great idea, I just take issue with buying a trap being some how bad, while purchasing a cat to do the same, who will almost certainly have a far higher mousy kill count, is good.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm not an architect (a nephew is) and i'm getting first year student vibes. :lol:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thats a good read, thanks.
There was planning permission turned down recently here for a 120 apartment complex, all going to be instantly rented out, and the reason why it was turned down?
The nearby streets objected as there was no parking spaces for the 120 apartments.
They didn't even plan for simple poo poo as car spaces.
The greed in them, wanting to maximize rent.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Its a tricky one cos wouldn't it be nice if developments were less poo poo, designed less for cars and had a chance to have their own character.

Problem is that without joined up planning that includes public transport etc, that isn't how people actually live. Accept the car I think and find ways to better design it in.

Every new house now has to have a car charger.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watching the parade of new Tory freaks on Sunday Morning:

Tugendhat is not believable as a human being, just spouting focus-grouped catchphrases no matter how many times the presenter tells him that his leadership hopes are delusional.

Mordaunt has the appearance of competence which might actually get her the job, even though she was introduced as an "ex-magician's assistant"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

RockyB posted:

Well, we'll see what the local rozzers have to say. I highly doubt anything will come of it.

p.s I'll be taking these images down at the end of the day

E: And yeah I know it was a bit pompous, I was channelling my inner Mrs. Norman.

You should also write a disgusted of Tunbridge Wells to your MP and local councillor to keep the heat on

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
He's absolutely wrong that compliance with regs means you have to build "noddy boxes". It's standardisation to drive down cost that gets you that, and it's silly to criticise modern builds for looking uniform because any development since 1900 started out standardised. They look different now because of 100 years of greebling.

Noticeably all his images of his good designs are 3 level or more, which is the same profit motive at work and gives you a house with a theoretically high floor area that turns out to be mostly toilets and stairs, and also horrendous for reduced mobility inhabitants.

And he assumes that if you lower taxes on developers that would result in the money being spent on on the dwellings instead, which is naïve to say the least. Until we help people get over the idea that car parking is level one in Maslow's hierarchy of needs, we're always going to be building car-centric developments. Binning a few regs or taxes isn't going to fix that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

2 spaces outside our house that we never use, neighbours are always knocking on our door to ask if they can park in ours.

Every single house has 2 spaces in our little bit of the estate. The rest is a shitshow of people parking on curbs everywhere.

I really hope we can move away from cars as a society but it's basically just poo poo to not have one, we're lucky we are boring gamer nerds who never go outside.

Also cats are monsters because people let them outside. Keep your cats inside. They live longer, happier, less stressful lives and with less disease and health issues.

Plus you get woken up by this:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
One side of my road is houses/converted flats and the other side is housing agency flats with off street resident only parking and regular checks by an attendant

The resident only parking has never been more than a quarter full, but all the on street parking is absolutely rammed at certain times of the day to the point where we plan around not returning to the house at certain times because there won't be a space within a half mile+ we can park in

Sometimes that isn't possible and I get the absolute loving joy of a 20 minute commute followed by a 30 minute hunt for a parking space

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was planning on not leaving the house again until Wednesday but the doctors asked me to come in for a blood pressure reading and they gave me the hottest time on the hottest day (3:30 on Tuesday, predicted 36 degrees here). Lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

I was planning on not leaving the house again until Wednesday but the doctors asked me to come in for a blood pressure reading and they gave me the hottest time on the hottest day (3:30 on Tuesday, predicted 36 degrees here). Lol.

Good stress test for the BP I guess.

But for real if you have high BP then be cautious and try to not be in direct sun and stay hydrated. Which hardly needs to be said, but still.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I have a tattoo scheduled for monday/tues that has been 6 months in the waiting. I'm gonna loving die.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Speaking of high BP I had high results when I was invited in for a health check-up so they've asked me to take readings for a week. The doctor on the phone just casually asked if I have a blood pressure machine at home as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Well sphyg my manometer!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's 2022, where every household has an infrared forehead thermometer and a fingertip pulse oximeter, but I know hardly anyone who has a BP machine, because pandemic economies of scale didn't make them £9

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Marmaduke! posted:

Speaking of high BP I had high results when I was invited in for a health check-up so they've asked me to take readings for a week. The doctor on the phone just casually asked if I have a blood pressure machine at home as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Well sphyg my manometer!

Same. Doc advised me that Omron ones for 30 quid off amazon are good. They don't lend them out any more because everyone forgets to return them.
Not that I've got one yet. It's one of those things on the list that I'll get round to one day, like hoovering or learning the clarinet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's 2022, where every household has an infrared forehead thermometer and a fingertip pulse oximeter, but I know hardly anyone who has a BP machine, because pandemic economies of scale didn't make them £9

Tbf a BP cuff is a lot more fiddly than those if it's a manual one, and the automatic ones are a lot more complex than a digital thermometer

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've got a tip run booked this afternoon lol, gonna just throw myself into the organic waste pile and let the big crusher take me

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Let’s get Brexit re-done

https://twitter.com/PennyMordaunt/status/1548593906257989633

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tomberforce posted:

Been giving my family back in Yorkshire some tips on dealing with the coming heat, thought some people here may benefit. I'm British originally but have a fair bit of experience working outdoors in hot areas of Western Australia and am a firefighter in Victoria.

In Vic we generally cease outdoor work when the temp hits 34 degrees. In Western Australia they don't. WA is far hotter than Vic on a regular basis and the heat is absolutely something you need a period of acclimatization to. Don't underestimate it - people die here every year making that mistake and the forecast temps would be considered hot even here. Limit your activity during the hot parts of the day. Heat illness can sneak up on you, especially when not used to the heat.

Hydration is incredibly important. I can drink upwards of 15 litres of fluid on a hot firefighting day and not piss once. Important to alternate between electrolyte fluids and water. Little and often is better than trying to down litres to compensate.

Seek shade wherever possible. Do not stay in the sun. Counter to every British instinct I know.

If you have to be outside wear the dorkiest looking wide brim hat you can find.

Read up on the signs of heat stress and heat stroke. Heat stress should be addressed immediately. If you come across someone showing signs of heatstroke it is a medical emergency and they are in serious danger.

You can cool core temperature by cooling your hands and lower arms. We carry arm core cooling devices on our fire trucks but you can jerry rig a similar setup from bin bags, cooler bags and cold water.

If your home has any unshaded west or south facing glazing, try and cover it, ideally with some car windscreen reflective shields. The setting western sun will cook houses

If you are really struggling with a house that's too hot at a pinch your car aircon, if sufficiently gassed will work fine in those temps. Use insulating windscreen shields and park in the shade. Shopping centres or banks etc will be conditioned and can provide relief. Classic thing here is freezing to death in the bank in the middle of summer.

Solar panels will run ac units for basically nothing. AC units are also incredibly efficient for heating homes in the colder months. Something to consider if this weather becomes more frequent and your boiler needs replacing.

Watch your pets, especially dogs in hot weather.

If you have a breeze and low humidity 40 is pretty manageable. High humidity is a bitch and you just want to avoid it. Fortunately serious fires tend to happen in low humidity.

Don't drive into long dry grass!

Stay safe and it'll be pissing down and Gray again before you know it.

This is great advice, thanks very much. Can absolutely vouch for wrist cooling, running cold water over them for a few minutes is the best way to cool off. Also shaving your head and dipping it in cold water is very refreshing.

I know you mentioned electrolyte - my Dad used to say he remembered travelling to really hot countries where there used to be two taps at public water fountains, one for fresh and one for salt water, and that getting a good intake of both is essential to avoid dehydration. Sea salt is apparently the wrong type though and you want table salt?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Marmaduke! posted:

It's *fairly* common, speaking as someone who works in pharmacy. You can get em for about 15 quid. I have one because I take ADHD medication and they need me to keep checking that my heart won't explode. As you get older it's going to be something worth having.

e: also goddamn I am seriously considering cutting off my hair. I've had long hair all my life and I have it up in a bun but ugh. The effort. I would look kinda butch but do I care about that? Not reeaallly. Could lean into the non-binary thing. But it feels so irrevocable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Marmaduke! posted:

A few years ago I had high blood pressure and for one of those wrist monitors that cost me then (2006) over £50. Useless. If I raised my wrist by 1cm it showed sky high BP and if I dropped it 1cm showed my BP as too low!
I got a refund.
My high BP went away within 2 months of chucking in work, no diet or exercise necessary.
Doc prescribed bp meds which made me feel so unwell I flushed them down the bog.

Also don't go for a BP test when you've just walked 2 miles! I did that couple of years ago on one of my days when I was thin for a week.