Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The viewer ratings for an episode arent about the quality of that episode though, obviously, they're gonna be about the quality of previous episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cleretic posted:

It also just wasn't really a smart time to do a one-off special. Christmas works great because everyone's home with family and at that point probably watching TV after dinner anyway. New years has a similar appeal, in the US you could swing a Thanksgiving. Some shows could shoot their shot on a thematically-appropriate event that they can be sure their audience would bite on, like when The Thick Of It did an election special.

Does Easter have any of that? Even theoretically? I don't know about the UK, but here in Australia Easter is just a long weekend with chocolate involved. Not only is there no cultural assurance that people will be watching TV then, there's arguably negative correlation since Easter's a good time for a short holiday.

Edward Mass posted:

That's impossible, given that Eve of the Daleks got 4.3 million viewers. That's nearly one million viewers' difference in the span of a few months!

I have not celebrated Easter in so long that I thought it was just a random weekend in April lol.

For comparison, here are the ratings for the Year of Specials:

quote:

"The Next Doctor"..............25 December 2008..............13.10
"Planet of the Dead"..............11 April 2009..............9.75
"The Waters of Mars"..............15 November 2009..............10.32
"The End of Time – 1"..............25 December 2009..............12.04
"The End of Time – 2"..............1 January 2010..............12.27

Planet of the Dead, airing around the same time, got between 2 and 3 million less viewers than the Christmas specials closest to it. So shedding maybe a quarter of the audience due to airing an episode at a weird time doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. You could say that New Doctor (but lol not really!) and Tennant's Last Episode are bigger draws, but equally, Daleks are a better pull than the stars of Warriors of the Deep, so it's probably a wash.

What is odd, now that I'm actually looking at the stats, is that usually there's a bump in the audience for the Christmas special, if even a small one in the case of the past few, but the Dalek Christmas special from this year continued the same downward curve from the past series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1548317088736980992
:allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Met Christopher Eccleston today and he was such a nice dude. It’s genuinely heartwarming when a Doctor actually seems to be a genuinely decent person. :allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-2022-titan-comics-books

Just saw it and thought would pass it on here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mooseontheloose posted:

forgive me since my wheelhouse is American politics but while I wouldn't describe Turn Left as particularly political the scene where Wilf sees the immigrants sent to the camps in the alternative London is pretty effective. A man who is seen a lot of poo poo and then crying no no its happening again was pretty powerful and while not explicitly leftist was prescient.

I mean the whole episode has the world increasingly going to poo poo until one person goes back in time so their past self goes left instead of right, so...

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Met Christopher Eccleston today and he was such a nice dude. It’s genuinely heartwarming when a Doctor actually seems to be a genuinely decent person. :allears:

That makes me happy. He's my first and favourite doctor and am just a little jealous.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I got the lost stories of season 27 in the Big Finish sales recently, so I've started them.

Thin Ice, was a lot of fun: Ice Warriors in the USSR! I like how the Ice Warriors are depicted in this story - not overly friendly, but willing to co-exist and work with other species. However the long 'ssss' noises when they speak do tend to get a bit grating and repetitive on audio. Changing the setting from London to Moscow was a good idea too, since it helps make it stand out from Remembrance of the Daleks - if this has aired in 1990, it might have felt a bit too similar to that story, in terms of setting.

Joining the cast is Beth Chalmers as Raine's mother, setting up Raine as a new companion next story. Chalmers is one of the best of the reoccurring Big Finish players, and has played a wide variety of characters for them (I quite like her performance as Veklin, a Time Lady who shows up every now and again). On TV, this was planned as Ace's departure story, so there's a slightly awkward rewrite to make this fit into the Big Finish version of canon, but nothing too bad.

Crime of the Century starts with a great image - Raine cracking a safe in a heist, only to find the Seventh Doctor waiting inside. While the first two episodes have some good scenes and imagery, it feels a bit meandering without a clear purpose. It's not until the aliens show up that the structure becomes clearer. While I could easily picture some of Thin Ice being almost screen ready, Crime of the Century is a step down. Still, Ace gets some time to shine solo, and the joke about the Doctor changing the alien translators so they have to talk in California surfer accents so no-one can take them seriously is so stupid it loops around to being great.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean the whole episode has the world increasingly going to poo poo until one person goes back in time so their past self goes left instead of right, so...

I think that's overthinking it. I can't remember the specific names, but turning left took her to the posh city job and right took her to the average non fancy job - if it were a metaphor I don't think they would have mixed it like that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Strong Convections posted:

I think that's overthinking it. I can't remember the specific names, but turning left took her to the posh city job and right took her to the average non fancy job - if it were a metaphor I don't think they would have mixed it like that.

You have it backwards--turning right took her to the posh fancy job as a businessman's personal assistant, while turning left took her to yet another drab temp job. So RTD, a man who wouldn't know subtlety if it came up and quietly bit him on the shin, most likely did mean "Turn Left" as not just a story title and plot point, but also a political directive to any "fence sitters" in the audience.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-cO_TmJoDU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You have it backwards--turning right took her to the posh fancy job as a businessman's personal assistant, while turning left took her to yet another drab temp job. So RTD, a man who wouldn't know subtlety if it came up and quietly bit him on the shin, most likely did mean "Turn Left" as not just a story title and plot point, but also a political directive to any "fence sitters" in the audience.

I don't have the episode to hand, but the wiki disagrees with you:
"At that time, Donna and her mother were in Donna's car at a T-junction, arguing about her future. Sylvia tried to persuade Donna to turn right and ask businessman Jival Chowdry for a job, but Donna turned left to go to her planned temp job at H.C. Clements."
https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Turn_Left_(TV_story)

EDIT: Sorry, I think we're saying the same thing, but seeing it opposite. The temp HC Clements job is is the posh city job. Donna says something about it being nice and her mum tells her she's just going hoping to meet a man. The temp job is the posh place I'm referring to in the city with the big glass building near the Thames (and extensive underground tunnels to a trap :D )

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 20, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Doctor who is great. I was thinking the other day about how much it prepared me for the changes of life. Moving to a new city, leaving an old life behind. Starting a relationship or ending one.
Been a constant for me since I was ten back in 05 and has provided a more than expected source of real good tools to deal with being alive. Know it can be a dumb sci-fi show too but drat it's a good one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Doctor Who is for the most part a very optimistic show and argues that change for the better is always possible, and it's a part of why I love it so much. :shobon:

9th Doctor: You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive.

:hellyeah:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/drwhomoment/status/1549831507774246915?s=21

the Wilderness Years were real wacky huh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah this loving owns.

Portia Da Costa is a pseudonym for Gary Russell IIRC.

lmao this twitter account kinda sucks though. Some of the posts are just wrong, but they're mostly running around like headless chickens, oversignifying anything remotely interesting that pops up as some sort of crazy, attention defining moment of transgression instead of some random pop trivia.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 21, 2022

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Some of the posts are just wrong, but they're mostly running around like headless chickens, oversignifying anything remotely interesting that pops up as some sort of crazy, attention defining moment of transgression instead of some random pop trivia.

That’s most Crazy rear end Moments twitter accounts though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

That’s most Crazy rear end Moments twitter accounts though.

so mote it be, i deem that they all do SUCKETH.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

so mote it be, i deem that they all do SUCKETH.

Kneel before the might of Sucketh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
True story, because of a quirk with how student union groups are named, the Sydney University Games and Pop Culture Society is called SUTEKH.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

True story, because of a quirk with how student union groups are named, the Sydney University Games and Pop Culture Society is called SUTEKH.

Thats amazing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Looks like Murray Gooooold is back in the musical driving seat

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Barry Foster posted:

If that's it for Segun Akinola, that sucks, but honestly I have no memories of his scores during Chibnall's reign.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

The BBC's secret plan to save Doctor Who is to make it 2007 again.

Then they turn the dial too far and make it 1985 again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

If that's it for Segun Akinola, that sucks, but honestly I have no memories of his scores during Chibnall's reign.

Yeah, Segun’s done too. He was another one who was only in it as long as Chibnall was there.

https://twitter.com/segunakinola/status/1549660696161435648

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Class3KillStorm posted:

Give this guy a hand!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I recently began a path towards becoming the best version of myself I possibly could as a part of healing from my fractured life. One of my friends likened the changes I'm making to Regeneration and I've taken that ball and ran with it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Class3KillStorm posted:

Well, at least we know the thread title for when he shows up again

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rhyno posted:

I recently began a path towards becoming the best version of myself I possibly could as a part of healing from my fractured life. One of my friends likened the changes I'm making to Regeneration and I've taken that ball and ran with it.

The amount of times I have used "Operation Regeneration" as a subject for a "self help" project...

I'm about out of regens, is what I'm saying.

In other news, Big Finish is going to be able to sell Stargate again. No word if that means new plays. I haven't listened to that series but I have seen all of SG/SGA, so kinda interested in trying.
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/stargate-audio-adventures-are-back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McGann posted:

The amount of times I have used "Operation Regeneration" as a subject for a "self help" project...

I'm about out of regens, is what I'm saying.

This is just my second one so I'm hopefully good for awhile.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

I'm now raising my hopes past cautiously optimistic to "I will definitely enjoy one thing per episode just a whole bunch."

Unless Davies and Gold suddenly decide The Doctor doesn't need to do something clever to solve a problem whilst their theme music plays anymore like Chibnall did. :mad:

13's theme was so good, too. It would've been perfect. Plus making that moment a priority every episode would've solved that whole "The Doctor is incidental to this plot" problem they kept having.

Rhyno posted:

When I transitioned, I started lamenting, loudly and often, that cis people don't get the same opportunity to start over and become a whole new person and frankly, I think everybody should get to do this and you shouldn't need to get divorced or whatever to do it. Good on you, Rhyno.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This speech is great, talking about change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtN3Qb3yvvM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This is just my second one so I'm hopefully good for awhile.

Second regeneration means you're either becoming Patrick Troughton or Jon Pertwee, depending on how you count things, and both options are winners!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barry Foster posted:

That's nice, I didn't need to hear the dialog anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

This speech is great, talking about change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtN3Qb3yvvM

I've been watching it a lot lately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And if we’re saying goodbye to the people we used to be…

Doctor, I let you go. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/business/status/1550270982505795584

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's burying the lede. There's another show in the works?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s very odd phrasing. It could mean ‘the upcoming series/season’, or as you say, a new show set in the DWU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

It’s very odd phrasing. It could mean ‘the upcoming series/season’, or as you say, a new show set in the DWU.

From the article, it definitely sounds like they're talking about the new series of Doctor Who.

Also: UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH