Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think it's just a right click (on videos or music etc) -> properties -> location and it will suggest moving everything from the previous drive when you change from c: to e: or whatever.

You can move the Documents, Photos, Videos etc. folders like that, but moving AppData and other more system-ish folders and files in the profile can't be moved. At least not in a supported way. The root profile folder is going to stay on the system drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What in the name of jolly goodfuck do you need codec packs for on tyool 2022?
Exactly

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

You can move the Documents, Photos, Videos etc. folders like that, but moving AppData and other more system-ish folders and files in the profile can't be moved. At least not in a supported way. The root profile folder is going to stay on the system drive.

There is a supported way: move the whole user profile.

Klyith posted:

The supported way to do this is to place an individual user's User Profile somewhere other than C:\Users. You can change this in the Local users and groups management console. Like so:

This is the manual & local version of how Domains keep their users on a server.

If I was doing this I would also make a 2nd admin user with a profile on the system drive, because troubleshooting / recovery will be much easier if anything ever happens to that D: drive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just restarted my W11 laptop after installing updates and it wanted to "finish setting up my device" by "connecting to a few more Microsoft services". Anyone knows wtf is this about? The only options were either do it or be reminded in 3 days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mobby_6kl posted:

I just restarted my W11 laptop after installing updates and it wanted to "finish setting up my device" by "connecting to a few more Microsoft services". Anyone knows wtf is this about? The only options were either do it or be reminded in 3 days.

I had this on our family laptop - both my account and my wife's. No idea.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

mobby_6kl posted:

It means connecting you to OneDrive and Bing. You can basically tell it not to do any of those things.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah it's upsell for office, one drive, game pass, etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So I just got a new laptop a few days ago, and it's running Windows 11. It's a 15.6" 2-in-1, and it seems like the appropriate hardware for Windows 11 - it's obviously a touchscreen-oriented OS. On this laptop it's fine, but I would find it very annoying on my desktop machine. There's some poo poo in 11 they just straight-up stole from ChromeOS, like the combined volume/brightness/wifi box that comes up instead of separate icons and options for each. Using the touchscreen it's fine, but I'd find it mildly annoying using a mouse, which is what I experienced on my Chromebook 2-in-1, too.

So far so good, and I already upgraded from Home to Pro. I still need to spend more time using the machine, but so far Windows 11 seems fine on this particular machine, but it's not surprising it hasn't seen a level of adoption like 10 did.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

W11 keeps loving up the sizes of my windows.
Steam window, which I kept maximized keeps getting shrunken a tiny bit making the ugly W11 window borders visible.
Discord, which I keep on the left side as narrow as possible gets randomly expanded by ~5 pixels so those pixels start covering windows next to it.

And doesn't anyone else think this is ugly af? This window is jammed to the top right corner, yet there's still this white border visible.

Most programs have this border, but sometimes it's thinner.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 18, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've noticed those specific issues too, not sure how to fix them unfortunately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Use the Feedback Hub program and provide screenshots and such. Best way to affect change

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

A fresh install and (maybe) windows power toys fixed my window sizing issues. Nothing else worked.

It also cleaned up some really weird issues with the Xbox apps I barely use.

That's probably not the answer you want to hear though..

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

A fresh install and (maybe) windows power toys fixed my window sizing issues. Nothing else worked.

It also cleaned up some really weird issues with the Xbox apps I barely use.

That's probably not the answer you want to hear though..

I just installed W11, 4 days ago lmao

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Sininu posted:

I just installed W11, 4 days ago lmao
My issues were not exactly the same, just similar various sizing issues, border overlap and dead space.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

To turn this off so it doesn't happen after future updates, go into Settings > System > Notifications > Scroll to the bottom, open Additional settings, and uncheck these two boxes:

Sininu posted:

W11 keeps loving up the sizes of my windows.
Steam window, which I kept maximized keeps getting shrunken a tiny bit making the ugly W11 window borders visible.
Discord, which I keep on the left side as narrow as possible gets randomly expanded by ~5 pixels so those pixels start covering windows next to it.

And doesn't anyone else think this is ugly af? This window is jammed to the top right corner, yet there's still this white border visible.

Most programs have this border, but sometimes it's thinner.

fwiw, this doesn't happen to me on the release preview ring so it should be fixed when that comes out fully in the next month or so.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What in the name of jolly goodfuck do you need codec packs for on tyool 2022?

you laugh but you still need to install the codec packs manually from the Store for poo poo like HEVC and whatever stupid rear end format apple is using for photos now. sometimes you do be needing to install codec packs doe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

barnold posted:

you laugh but you still need to install the codec packs manually from the Store for poo poo like HEVC and whatever stupid rear end format apple is using for photos now. sometimes you do be needing to install codec packs doe

You don't need codec packs for HEVC if you have MCP-HC or VLC rather than using windows media player like a goddamn savage.

MPC-HC, the regularly updated clsid2 version, is like VLC in that it comes with a pretty comprehensive AV decoder library built in.

(Installing the HEVC pack from Store is still halal though: you need it to generate thumbnails in explorer for HEVC videos, and it costs microsoft a nickel when you do.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

(Installing the HEVC pack from Store is still halal though: you need it to generate thumbnails in explorer for HEVC videos, and it costs microsoft a nickel when you do.)

Thank you for this.

e: Looks like it's 99c in the store though. Free elsewhere.

ms-windows-store://pdp/?ProductId=9n4wgh0z6vhq

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 18, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
K-lite codec pack is the automatic choice along with irfanview

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Thank you for this.

e: Looks like it's 99c in the store though. Free elsewhere.

Oh lmao looks like MS got tired of paying nickels.

Here's the free one, apparently intended for OEMs:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

K-lite codec pack is the automatic choice

It wasn't a choice 10 years ago and still isn't.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Does there exist an alternative program for controlling per-application DPI/button bindings for Logitech mice? The G HUB crap keeps getting me killed in games because it randomly switches between the desktop default profile and the game-specific ones while I'm playing.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Dunno about automatic per-application control but just use Logitech's Onboard Memory Manager and ditch background software for your pointing device entirely.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Does there exist an alternative program for controlling per-application DPI/button bindings for Logitech mice? The G HUB crap keeps getting me killed in games because it randomly switches between the desktop default profile and the game-specific ones while I'm playing.

The easiest alternative would be to switch to on-board profiles and only use g-hub you need to edit / change profiles.

If you're really dedicated to input profiles that are dynamic per-application you could get into autohotkey, and as a bonus you'll learn to program!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
The need to change profiles would be every time I tab out of games (I'm at 1600 DPI for regular use, but need to lower to 400 DPI for sweaty shooters - plus remapped side buttons). I've got the Logitech G Pro X Superlight mouse.

Programming is not an issue but I guess I will need to figure out how to approach the issue first. As far as I could tell there's no way to switch onboard profiles on the mouse itself (and its manual didn't go into this at all) so I guess I will still need the lovely Logitech software to switch profiles? It's hidden quite far into settings so there better be some way to switch programmatically. Unless onboard mouse profile switching is some standard thing I don't know about? My Google-fu for AutoHotkey mouse profile switching is not yielding anything so far, and running lghub.exe with the help switch just launches the program normally, so if anyone knows more I'd love to hear it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Keito posted:

The need to change profiles would be every time I tab out of games (I'm at 1600 DPI for regular use, but need to lower to 400 DPI for sweaty shooters - plus remapped side buttons). I've got the Logitech G Pro X Superlight mouse.

Programming is not an issue but I guess I will need to figure out how to approach the issue first. As far as I could tell there's no way to switch onboard profiles on the mouse itself (and its manual didn't go into this at all) so I guess I will still need the lovely Logitech software to switch profiles? It's hidden quite far into settings so there better be some way to switch programmatically. Unless onboard mouse profile switching is some standard thing I don't know about? My Google-fu for AutoHotkey mouse profile switching is not yielding anything so far, and running lghub.exe with the help switch just launches the program normally, so if anyone knows more I'd love to hear it.

I guess the main issue is that the mouse doesn't have DPI switching buttons so you can't do it yourself without messing around in the software or taking over one of your normal buttons you're using on the mouse in game. I see that there's some Logitech Lua API stuff for their mouse that might be useful, here's a recent stackoverflow where someone used capslock to change mouse DPI:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69939845/logitech-dpi-shift-using-modifier

That could perhaps be used in conjunction with Autohotkey to generate the key presses on application change to fire the events to trigger the DPI change, but it is kind of a lot.
Here's what comes up as Logitech LUA although this pdf doesn't really have a date on it I could see easily, so perhaps there's a better newer source:
https://douile.com/logitech-toggle-keys/APIDocs.pdf

Here's the Logitech Onboard Memory Manager tool to set up the mouse without GHUB in onboard mode: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

This is maybe less relevant, but I found a command line python script to change DPI for a G400 mouse that this guy developed for Ubuntu and macos:
https://github.com/rprichard/logitech-g400-config

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

As far as I could tell there's no way to switch onboard profiles on the mouse itself (and its manual didn't go into this at all) so I guess I will still need the lovely Logitech software to switch profiles? It's hidden quite far into settings so there better be some way to switch programmatically. Unless onboard mouse profile switching is some standard thing I don't know about?

The standard way to do profile switching with on-board profiles is to bind an mouse button to do it (in g-hub, or alternate less-busy app OMM). I dunno which mouse you have, but pretty much all logi mice that use g-hub have at least an extra topside button that is good as a profile switcher.

Keito posted:

My Google-fu for AutoHotkey mouse profile switching is not yielding anything so far, and running lghub.exe with the help switch just launches the program normally, so if anyone knows more I'd love to hear it.

Nah for autohotkey the idea would be to set up a standard set of stuff bound to the mouse buttons, and then have autohotkey intercept them and change the inputs to whatever specific binding for an app or game. But that does nothing for the DPI issue, so if DPI is your main need for profiles then it's not a useful suggestion.

I do fairly constant DPI across profiles and adjust sensitivity in games rather than on the mouse, so didn't really think about that, sorry.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Keito has the Logitech G Pro X Superlight which seems to have a minimal number of buttons so as not to be heavy or something:

Seems like even just one button for profile switching or a set of DPI buttons would make it a non-issue, but GHUB should be able to change up the profile dynamically based on the program, it just isn't.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rexxed posted:

Keito has the Logitech G Pro X Superlight which seems to have a minimal number of buttons so as not to be heavy or something:

Oh, welp!

Well, if I had that mouse, here's what I would do:
1. only one profile on mouse, constant DPI
2. use sensitivity settings in game to change speed
3. keep the side buttons to default back/forward
4. use autohotkey to change the back/forward to other keys or macros on a per-app basis using #IfWinActive, which I've always found to be super reliable.

However, I'd do this because I already know autohotkey really well. It's a lot of work to avoid g-hub, but that's worth the effort IMO.

(Actually I wouldn't do any of that because I've recently switched to linux, and autohotkey is windows only. OTOH in linux the mouse software can switch mouse profiles from the command line, so I'd make a keyboard shortcut to cycle profiles. The mouse software is hilariously superior, as long as you have a supported device.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's the reasoning behind switching to 400 DPI for shooters, rather than just staying at 1600 DPI all the time and dividing your sensitivity by 4?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

repiv posted:

What's the reasoning behind switching to 400 DPI for shooters, rather than just staying at 1600 DPI all the time and dividing your sensitivity by 4?

I've seen a lot of arguments for 1600 over 800 DPI if you use 1440p since that's likely closer to what you use in windows, so it might be a good idea. It could vary based on how granular the game makes its sensitivity settings, though.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What is the setting that turns on the photo of the day and trending stuff on the start menu?

I think i turned it on or something last night, and cannot find it again at all.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Hello users of Windows 11 thread,

I have an old W10 Pro install (with a legit key). Can I download the W11 ISO and install it from scratch using said key without any sort of upgrade process? Or do I need to do upgrade W11 via my already established W10 install and then do a fresh install?

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

repiv posted:

I don't know about the factor thingy, but it seems to higher DPI actually results in lower input lag so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imYBTj2RXFs

Edit: I just have mine at an high DPI all the time and lower the mouse speed in windows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sarr posted:

I have an old W10 Pro install (with a legit key). Can I download the W11 ISO and install it from scratch using said key without any sort of upgrade process?

Yes, this will work perfectly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I've seen a lot of arguments for 1600 over 800 DPI if you use 1440p since that's likely closer to what you use in windows, so it might be a good idea. It could vary based on how granular the game makes its sensitivity settings, though.

Is there really a way to egghead an ideal sensitivity in games? I just assume none of their sliders work the same and try to feel out a tolerable setting with my mouse at 2000 DPI.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there really a way to egghead an ideal sensitivity in games? I just assume none of their sliders work the same and try to feel out a tolerable setting with my mouse at 2000 DPI.

Yeah, there's a lot of websites for doing conversions between games. This one has the most games on their conversion list that I've seen but I'm sure there's half a dozen out there with similar stuff:
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/

It also may be available in some of the aim trainers that are out on steam now. I only know of aimlab but I think there's more.

You can also always get into a game using the same DPI and get a ruler or other static measure to find a 180 or 360 and just adjust the in game sensitivity until it matches what you know should be the distance for that amount of turn.

edit: oh I guess I thought you were asking about adjusting a new game to what you were used to from a previous one. It's going to vary per person but a lot of people take the 18" or so they use for a mousing space and try to figure out what amount of turning feels good for them in that space, like 360' or something. It varies per person because we don't all have the same arm length and sitting position and stuff. It can also take a little while to adapt to new settings, but generally slower is better in an FPS where you can use large motions to get on target with your arm and then go down wrist and finger motion to get on target. Practice and not getting a repetitive strain injury are the important parts.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 21, 2022

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

~Coxy posted:

Yes, this will work perfectly.

Great, thanks!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sarr posted:

Hello users of Windows 11 thread,

I have an old W10 Pro install (with a legit key). Can I download the W11 ISO and install it from scratch using said key without any sort of upgrade process? Or do I need to do upgrade W11 via my already established W10 install and then do a fresh install?

You might need to create the boot medium with the right option in Rufus for it to install.

But as for keys and activation you're fine. You can pull the key with OEMkey or ProduKey if you like but that's not really necessary in UEFI times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

You might need to create the boot medium with the right option in Rufus for it to install.

No need to gently caress around with third party apps, just use the MS one

It wont ask for a key, or you can ignore it if it does. Since 8, it imparts some kinda stamp onto your BIOS or something that lets it know you have a license.