Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the bigger concern i have is that i'd like to see xbox outright give the studios formerly under zenimax creative freedom to do whatever they want for the most part, like tango doing games without tons of evident ubi-style poo poo strapped onto them by zenimax and arkane doing what they're actually good at even it doesn't sell multi-millions

I would say the only chance if that like HBO/AMC did back in the 2000s, that they allow some creatives/developers a little more leeway to produce their own products as "flagships" to gain press while everything else is about maximum extraction (let 10,000 Diablo immortals bloom).

Otherwise, Microsoft is going to try to squeeze value out of their assets one way or another.

------------

That Bethesda video is pretty straight forward "we are complete hacks that don't know poo poo and write garbage...moving on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

the most successful rpg company in gaming doesn't care about story, quests, or worldbuilding.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

the most successful rpg company in gaming doesn't care about story, quests, or worldbuilding.

'the story is there, but they're gonna spend 30 hours making shacks' the words of a man who definitely has confidence and pride in the value of his own work

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i wonder if there's a bethesda game that is beloved for its depth of worldbuilding and which continues to be actively played and modded 20 years after release...nah, sounds made up, can't possibly invest any time in that poo poo when we have 1000 blown up houses to model in exquisite detail but which people give even less of a poo poo about than the story

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jazerus posted:

i wonder if there's a bethesda game that is beloved for its depth of worldbuilding and which continues to be actively played and modded 20 years after release...nah, sounds made up, can't possibly invest any time in that poo poo when we have 1000 blown up houses to model in exquisite detail but which people give even less of a poo poo about than the story
i don't think there's enough coke in the world for michael kirkbride to be willing to work at a full time game job again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i don't think there's enough coke in the world for michael kirkbride to be willing to work at a full time game job again

he's straight edge now anyway because he got on the joose or something and doesn't remember like 5 years of his life in any detail

find some other guy who can load up on cigarettes booze and psychedelics to stare into the mind of god, there's gotta be a kirkbride 2.0 out there somewhere

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the brigand oaxaca guy made the whole game himself over the course of a decade while stoned as poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

this video is the best thing ive ever seen for udnerstanding how bethesda makes games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

theyre basically ideologically opposed to the idea of good writing. they are convinced that players will skip it anyway so they completely embrace nothing being good and just solicit random ideas from people in the office. The posed skeletons that everyone makes fun of is the most ambitious they let themselves get.

genuinely one of the most depressing youtube videos ive ever seen

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

in other news today i learned that someone is credited in the gex 64 end credits as "the unapooper"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I finally figured out that the reason I am unable to parry combos is that I need to release the left stick and re-tilt it rather than keeping it tilted in the direction I want.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

Hell yeah I love Daggerfall

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"this giant robot is a kinda lovely final boss compared to all the extremely cool duels"

"oh. oh"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
standing there
you realized

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cuttlefush posted:

standing there
you realized

:hmmyes:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

this video is the best thing ive ever seen for udnerstanding how bethesda makes games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

theyre basically ideologically opposed to the idea of good writing. they are convinced that players will skip it anyway so they completely embrace nothing being good and just solicit random ideas from people in the office. The posed skeletons that everyone makes fun of is the most ambitious they let themselves get.

i gotta be honest, i never played fo4 but i never heard anyone describe its themes about "suspicion" or paranoia

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still playing Neon White, it's addictive as all gently caress. But the dialogue, my god the dialogue.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I guess the question is how much more profit can they squeeze from the franchise at this point? I mean they already tried to make Fallout 76, a semi-shooter and there are only so many micro-transactions they can shake out of the system (and they are already trying games as a service).

I could see they generating some excitement by trying to tie the "coasts" together since they are almost different franchises at this point, but yeah, I don't know if the writing chops are there (and it puts them in a bit of a narrative corner). I guess just try Fallout 76 with a minimal plot this time and more marketing?

It is a bit awkward when you are both creatively bankrupt and you already squeezed as much as you can from existing properties.

they could try making a good fallout game

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

this ludwig guy is stomping my whole dick and balls and im nowhere near phase 2 :|

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Rutibex posted:

why though

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

"Nameless Wanderer, this is Brotherhood-Of-Steel-Man"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bitmap posted:

this ludwig guy is stomping my whole dick and balls and im nowhere near phase 2 :|

Hes one of the hardest fights in the whole game. When I beat him it was a dice roll if he spammed bullshit attacks at me or not

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

genericnick posted:

Still playing Neon White, it's addictive as all gently caress. But the dialogue, my god the dialogue.

The story ends up being pretty interesting but it's fighting the writing the whole time

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bethesda just doesn't make good games anymore. It's as simple as that.

Fallout 4 is just a shooting gallery where you pick up every single pile of trash so you can use it for their lovely annoying settlement building thing.

76 is actually better because they had more time to fix their stupid lovely building system. Also by deciding they had to have a more strict level and loot progression they actually made the "survival" part matter more because now the game doesn't constantly throw loot and waves of enemies at you so much. It ended up being a better single player game than Fallout 4 now that everyone quit playing it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bitmap posted:

He's one of FromSoft's best bosses so just savor it. You'll get there.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jazerus posted:

he's straight edge now anyway because he got on the joose or something and doesn't remember like 5 years of his life in any detail

find some other guy who can load up on cigarettes booze and psychedelics to stare into the mind of god, there's gotta be a kirkbride 2.0 out there somewhere

The dude that does Kill 6 Billion Demons would be a good kirkbride 2.0

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, but they need a reliable revenue generator more.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what's like the new (old) shadowrun RPGs in terms of mechanics and quality of writing? I played the heck out of them but then they stopped after Shadowrun: Hong Kong in 2015

and yeah I played battletech

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you want to play some isometric RPGs then I'd say Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder, Waatlenad 3 are all fine. Well as good as you can hope for these days.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I once dreamed of a sequel to New Vegas that took place in Two Sun after the fall of the legion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
someone should make a fallout style game in The Postman universe

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ludwig was my fav boss apart from Maria.
I'd been reading item descriptions a lot and he's mentioned over and over as this super Knight.

Then he turns up and he's one of Froms best designs imo, horrifying and unashamedly goofy is their best aesthetic imo.

Then phase 2 happens

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

i gotta be honest, i never played fo4 but i never heard anyone describe its themes about "suspicion" or paranoia

They’re pretty obvious. One of the first things that happens when you get to Diamond City is that a guy kills his brother in a stand-off because he thinks he has been replaced by a synth.

It’s also heavily implied but left ambiguous whether or not the player is also a synth with implanted memories.

The Far Harbor DLC is actually pretty good story wise and gets into those elements a lot more but hardly anyone played it or cared enough to pay attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just played through the first hour of Red Dead Redemption 2 and I can tell this game is gonna own

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Frumply posted:

The Far Harbor DLC is actually pretty good story wise and gets into those elements a lot more but hardly anyone played it or cared enough to pay attention.

Far Harbor is great and worth whatever pocket change it costs to play Fo4 now

Kinda bullshit that the "best" ending is making peace with the insane genocidal nuke cult because killing people for their beliefs is wrong :what:

Did like the implication for the future of the fallout universe that humans are starting to be born highly resistant to radiation and they will inherit the earth. very crimes of the future

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Far Harbour is the only good DLC for that game.

Edit: Also ghouls are humans you racist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dudes rock and should remain the Sole Survivor of Fallout. remove character customization, all very 2010's, ancient history at this point, time to move on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

wolfs posted:

what's like the new (old) shadowrun RPGs in terms of mechanics and quality of writing? I played the heck out of them but then they stopped after Shadowrun: Hong Kong in 2015

and yeah I played battletech

pathfinder wrath of the righteous, wasteland 3, uhhhh....

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Frumply posted:

They’re pretty obvious. One of the first things that happens when you get to Diamond City is that a guy kills his brother in a stand-off because he thinks he has been replaced by a synth.

It’s also heavily implied but left ambiguous whether or not the player is also a synth with implanted memories.

fallout 4 makes me so frustrated because the seeds of a fun and good story are there but then they're drowned and rotted in the soil by a flood of lovely writing and a godawful story that wastes every possible cool thing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if you don't mind fantasy over sci fi you've got Divinity Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity, and pretty soon in the next 13 years Baldurs Gate 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

oh right DOS2 whips though it was Way Too Overwhelming for me mechanically. i like it dumb.