Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Basically, Danielle owns, and deserves better, is what I'm saying :colbert:

Danielle does own, but the lesson of the 'Nixon's ladies' storyline (not just the episode) was that being an astronaut means dealing with other people's cowboy bullshit all the freaking time. The story of this entire season is predicated on NASA (and the Soviets) going along with dangerous cowboy bullshit: Big Love goes on live tee-vee to announce that his ship is going to Mars 2 years ahead of you, neener neener, and the consummate professionals running NASA/the US respond by pushing everything up 2 years, gently caress the consequences. Bill even tells them this is a really bad idea! So Danielle has to keep improvising, but she's still explicitly a part of the cowboy bullshit rodeo the whole way, since that is their entire mission! And we get glimpses of it when she literally races the Soviet commander for the first step on Martian ground.

In a vacuum (:haw:) Danielle would've been great running a well-planned NASA science mission to Mars, sure, but that didn't really end up happening. It's the saying about wrestling pigs, except I suppose in this case Danielle was shoved into the pen by Margo and the US government. And she didn't back down because she does have some of that cowboy mentality too :unsmith:

That's a good point about Ed and the Soviets, though. But given Ed's general ornery bull-headedness, I guess we could chalk this up to Ed having a fairly large chip on his shoulder towards NASA, and he doesn't care about corporate non-sense that much now that he's actually on Mars? He does roll his eyes at the NDA stuff, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
So is Kelly joining the water mission as:
“Stowaway” that Ed arranges
Take your daughter to work day
Paid consultant of Helios
Helios gets a bidding war going and Margot uses her 75 billion to push the Russians out

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jerusalem posted:

Danielle is legitimately the only competent person on Mars and one of like 3 actually competent people in the show (Aleida and Bill are the other two, Will's alright maybe, maybe)

Wayne's competent... at goo balls

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

teacup posted:

Literally anyone thinking this is floating DADT as some sort of west wing / centrist compromise wonder just... stop watching TV.

Except all this show does is praise centrist policies. I have to assume it is written by enlightened centrists. Look at all the "progressive" policies that have happened in the show. They are progressive for the time, but accepted norms for modern centrists. We haven't seen them push the bounds of what a mainstream Democrat would accept today. The Republican president is a secret gay woman, the ultimate compromise acceptable by modern centrists. Literally everything in this show is "look at how great 2022 centrism is." They probably put that swelling music in because they were patting themselves on the back for being so centrist that they reinvented don't ask don't tell, the most enlightened centrist policy of the 90s.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Wayne's competent... at goo balls

Wayne is a better TV therapist than most roles that are actually supposed to be therapists.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

Except all this show does is praise centrist policies. I have to assume it is written by enlightened centrists. Look at all the "progressive" policies that have happened in the show. They are progressive for the time, but accepted norms for modern centrists. We haven't seen them push the bounds of what a mainstream Democrat would accept today. The Republican president is a secret gay woman, the ultimate compromise acceptable by modern centrists. Literally everything in this show is "look at how great 2022 centrism is." They probably put that swelling music in because they were patting themselves on the back for being so centrist that they reinvented don't ask don't tell, the most enlightened centrist policy of the 90s.

ehhh, I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt that we eventually get to fully automated luxury gay space communism for all

they're going for some level of believability so the fact that they have pushed it towards the left but not all the way already is understandable

we'll see where it goes over the next couple seasons

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Look if that’s as far as they go when they reach 2050 and are exploring the stars I’ll owe you a coke.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

So is Kelly joining the water mission as:
“Stowaway” that Ed arranges
Take your daughter to work day
Paid consultant of Helios
Helios gets a bidding war going and Margot uses her 75 billion to push the Russians out

I missed anything about her joining. I thought Ed was just promising to sneak samples so she can study them at the US base?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

I missed anything about her joining. I thought Ed was just promising to sneak samples so she can study them at the US base?

I also interpreted the scene as her asking to join the Russian-Helios-trip, but you're right, she just says she "needs to see those samples" and that she "needs to be a part of this", and Ed says he'll see what he can do. Although she did express concern earlier in the conversation that the Soviets + Ed/Helios would kill any potential life in the liquid water they'll be excavating, and her getting the samples after the fact won't be that helpful, at least from a conservationist point of view. I guess we'll find out in a week :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ed's gonna come back and explain that they did find life, and that he got very excited about bringing her samples, but then he found out one of the Russians found the first sample 3 seconds before him, at which point Ed lost all interest because he wasn't going to be the first anymore, and just dumped his samples in the trash.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, if Helios hadn't been nearby she wouldn't have felt the pressure to push for the surface when the dust started clearing at the last second, and just gone around for another orbit. If she hadn't had the Soviets onboard too (and lost two of her own crew in the process of saving them, which again only happened because Helios hosed everything up) then the Habitation Pods would have been set up with the right amount of food/water and space for the original complement.

Every step of the way she has had other people's dumb poo poo getting in the way of her doing her job at a high level. There was the drama over the Command of the flight from Molly jumping the gun which itself was based on a pissing match with Margo. Then her old friend basically throws a tantrum, tells her she only got the job because of affirmative action, then bails to join a private firm which pushes up the schedule from 4 years to 2. Her co-pilot falls off the wagon and she does the right thing by grounding him, and Helios (Ed specifically) immediately picks him up despite her laying out exactly why the old school bullshit "let's sweep alcohol and drug abuse under the carpet!" mentality couldn't continue.

But she does the work, she assembles her crew, she even adds Ed's daughter to the crew and doesn't just dismiss her as "Ed's daughter", taking onboard her argument for why her credentials beat that of the botanist they planned to take originally. She gets Sojourner up and out there, they prove that NASA and their nerds who don't have fighter pilot " balls" have more innovative tech than Helios when they deploy the solar sails, they're well-organized, competent, professional, and it's paying dividends. Then Helios and their bullshit flat management team override Ed's decision to save the Soviets (who are in this problem because they tried an Ed-style piece of bullshit that backfired on them) which leaves Danielle no choice but to do it instead, which she does without complaint even knowing it will likely mean they have no choice but to return to Earth.

Even then she's figuring out potential ways to salvage the trip and thinking on the fly like apparently Molly thought she wouldn't be capable of doing (by the way, Ed overriding Helios' command lockout comes thanks to one of those nerds he looks down on!), she keeps two crews together and everybody appears to be more than capable of working under her apart from the Russian commander who seems very much in the Ed mold, as the way they so casually got on immediately demonstrated. Even after making it to Mars, she has to deal with technical issues, the distraction caused by Will's revelation, and then she discovers the Soviets she saved and the private company that tried to stop her getting to Mars in the first place are icing NASA out to go divvy up a giant water resource together, and that Ed apparently had absolutely no issue with going along with that and had no intention of even giving her a heads-up despite a seemingly pathological hatred of Soviets up to that point in his life.

Basically, Danielle owns, and deserves better, is what I'm saying :colbert:

Overall Danielle is great, but attempting the landing when she did was absolutely 100% the wrong decision. Ed could take the chance because it was a smaller craft with just his and Danny's life on the line, and they also had full abort capability for if conditions ended up not clearing.

Danielle put the entire mission on the line and very nearly killed them all.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
When the episode started and we learned that the ship was damaged and not leaving I had this thought of: what if the Helios crew just said: nah. Nope, we aren't letting you leave with us. Do something about it. It would a petty, terrible thing but it just made me wonder. Same thing for the earlier season rescue of the Russian crew, which they kind of did. Also, how the hell are they planning on getting up to the Helios? It didn't land. 2x at a time over like, 8 trips?

Also, the food and water shortages. You can't just move the food and water with you? Instead, everyone is going on half rations?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Ed's gonna come back and explain that they did find life, and that he got very excited about bringing her samples, but then he found out one of the Russians found the first sample 3 seconds before him, at which point Ed lost all interest because he wasn't going to be the first anymore, and just dumped his samples in the trash.

This, or the Russians immediately dump bleach into the borehole to kill any life that might be in there.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cojawfee posted:

This, or the Russians immediately dump bleach into the borehole to kill any life that might be in there.

ed will do this after the russians find life quicker. first xenogenocide in human history, won't be the last

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ShowTime posted:

When the episode started and we learned that the ship was damaged and not leaving I had this thought of: what if the Helios crew just said: nah. Nope, we aren't letting you leave with us. Do something about it. It would a petty, terrible thing but it just made me wonder. Same thing for the earlier season rescue of the Russian crew, which they kind of did. Also, how the hell are they planning on getting up to the Helios? It didn't land. 2x at a time over like, 8 trips?

Also, the food and water shortages. You can't just move the food and water with you? Instead, everyone is going on half rations?

They are feeding and watering 2 more people which is a big strain. And yeah, they can go up and down as many times as they like since i think Helios craft runs on methane they can mine in mars.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
But the food is there. They didn't lose any food/water during their entry. So the Helios crew landed with all their food/water, so did NASA. I think they are combined at a +2 crew. Doesn't seem like enough to need to ration food and water that heavily.

Take the food/water off the sojourner, bring to the Helios camp. It's also strange they are now all living at the Helios camp when only the Sojourner thrusters were damaged. They could operate out of the Sojourner fine, just not leave on it. I guess for ease, having all the samples on the ship leaving is convenient.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

But the food is there. They didn't lose any food/water during their entry. So the Helios crew landed with all their food/water, so did NASA. I think they are combined at a +2 crew. Doesn't seem like enough to need to ration food and water that heavily.

Take the food/water off the sojourner, bring to the Helios camp. It's also strange they are now all living at the Helios camp when only the Sojourner thrusters were damaged. They could operate out of the Sojourner fine, just not leave on it. I guess for ease, having all the samples on the ship leaving is convenient.
They're not living at the Helios camp, they're living at the NASA habs that were sent separately to a location nearby to where Sojourner landed.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

all the russian's food and water is currently radioactive and presumably either hit mars at 69,000 kph or sailed millions of miles away depending on their heading at the time of the oopsie

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was writing up a big post wondering why they had brought so little water that they had to ration so badly, but then I checked the episode again. One of the hab modules got damaged when landing apparently? Danielle says "since we lost some of our presupply in the damaged module". I don't know if that's referring to the ship being damaged, or if that means one of the hab modules was also damaged when they all landed.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bawfuls posted:

They're not living at the Helios camp, they're living at the NASA habs that were sent separately to a location nearby to where Sojourner landed.

Ohhhh, I thought that was the Helios camp, not NASA. Got it. I assumed Sojourner landed to just live out of the ship. Why doesn't Helios have a camp? Were they just gonna go to Mars, land and chill in orbit?

tokin opposition posted:

all the russian's food and water is currently radioactive and presumably either hit mars at 69,000 kph or sailed millions of miles away depending on their heading at the time of the oopsie

Yes, but they all went there with the plan to survive nearby, with all the rations they needed + extra for a prolonged event. +2 to a combined two crew inventory shouldn't affect things. Helios had food for their crew. Sojourner had food for their crew. Russia lost all theirs obviously, but overall, it's still just Helios + Sojourner +2. There is no way that should affect them so much that the need to cut water rations that heavily.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I was writing up a big post wondering why they had brought so little water that they had to ration so badly, but then I checked the episode again. One of the hab modules got damaged when landing apparently? Danielle says "since we lost some of our presupply in the damaged module". I don't know if that's referring to the ship being damaged, or if that means one of the hab modules was also damaged when they all landed.

Oh maybe, and that would explain things. I assumed it was damage to the craft that prevented it from leaving, not that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Ohhhh, I thought that was the Helios camp, not NASA. Got it. I assumed Sojourner landed to just live out of the ship. Why doesn't Helios have a camp? Were they just gonna go to Mars, land and chill in orbit?

Helios camp facilities are thier big rovers, like a Mars RV.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
I'm not sure why Sojourner needed to land at all instead of using a lander, given how all the habitat modules were dropped ahead of their arrival.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Because space shuttles are stupid and so is anyone that uses one

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

If I had a genie my 14th wish would be that we did rocketry with the engineering principles of soyuz with the beta nerdery of modern dork NASA and the budget of all militaries on earth combined

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

tokin opposition posted:

Because space shuttles are stupid and so is anyone that uses one

It's kind of frustrating how they've gone to the "Russians are reckless and unsafe!" well multiple times when, y'know, 40% of the space shuttles blew up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Senor Tron posted:

Overall Danielle is great, but attempting the landing when she did was absolutely 100% the wrong decision. Ed could take the chance because it was a smaller craft with just his and Danny's life on the line, and they also had full abort capability for if conditions ended up not clearing.

NASA blew it when they reneged on missile payloads after that whole Buran debacle. Shoulda just atomized the Helios ship when they declined to help the Russians.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, I'm getting really conflicting messages from the writers here. She is consistently portrayed as the most adult and responsible person in the room, but then just goes ahead and does probably the most reckless and stupid decision we have seen yet on this show just for some bragging rights for NASA. Like, Ed took a good look at Danny and decided that it's not worth it. Danielle took a good look at her crew and went full on "Valhalla awaits!":jeb:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, I'm getting really conflicting messages from the writers here. She is consistently portrayed as the most adult and responsible person in the room, but then just goes ahead and does probably the most reckless and stupid decision we have seen yet on this show just for some bragging rights for NASA. Like, Ed took a good look at Danny and decided that it's not worth it. Danielle took a good look at her crew and went full on "Valhalla awaits!":jeb:

I think it's understandable. Danielle is a careful, capable leader, but she's under massive pressure from a. the Russians yelling at her, b. the US to beat Helios to Mars, and c. her own "mistake" of injuring herself on the moon, for which she was widely mocked as incompetent last season. There's also the personal aspect of sticking it to a man who said that she only got where she did due to affirmative action, which frankly got brushed under the carpet way too quickly for them to be chummy again. She's not Ed reckless, but she's human.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just made the connection that Molly is the same actress that played Penny on :lost: and my mind is a bit blown.

Holy poo poo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Just made the connection that Molly is the same actress that played Penny on :lost: and my mind is a bit blown.

:aaaaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What the fuccccck!?!? :aaa:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I totally didn't clue in until season 3 she was also Penny....

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I would've never recognized Penny but for someone pointing it out on twitter.

GABA ghoul posted:

I see what you mean, but I think she wanted to be first just as much as Ed, and was lucky/smart enough not to have an astronaut son to nepotise on to her crew.

Also I can totally believe the most responsible adult astronaut in a given NASA room is still a yeehaw cowgirl.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe the message is that you can identify the Myers-Briggs character template that you think a person fits into and assign them a role based on your careful assessment of their strengths and tendencies, but then when push comes to shove what they're actually going to do is anybody's fuckin guess because people are not baseball cards Ray Dalio

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Point of order: exposure to radiation does not equal radioactive contamination, unless it was a massive neutron flux that would have killed the crew instantly.

If they had time to transfer all the fuel, they might have had time to move some other consumables, as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Maybe the message is that you can identify the Myers-Briggs character template that you think a person fits into and assign them a role based on your careful assessment of their strengths and tendencies, but then when push comes to shove what they're actually going to do is anybody's fuckin guess because people are not baseball cards Ray Dalio

Anyway this was a joke but I think I mean it actually. I'm sure someone has spelled this out already but because I'm lazy:

The season arc's whole setup was Margo's/Molly's choice of captain between cowboy Ed and by-the-book Danielle, and Helios and the Soviet inflight accident (in part, they serve other narrative purposes too of course) are contrivances that allow the show to pit Ed and Danielle against each other head-to-head to see their respective leadership styles. As it turns out, there's a wild card in each of their cases: Ed's surrogate-father protectiveness toward Danny, and Danielle still being stung by Ed's racist comment (and probably some resentment over being chosen because of her predictability). And the result is that each of them behaves precisely opposite to how all the NASA character analysis had said they would: Ed picks the safe option though it means giving up glory, and Danielle risks her whole crew and mission and nearly blows it all up because of pride.

I think one of the show's big strengths is that despite this being the main narrative through-line of the season so far, all the characters involved are also serving other plots as well — Ed and Helios and Kelly and Danny and Karen, Danielle and Kelly and the cosmonauts, etc. and they all interrelate and flow from each other without it all (yet) bursting apart at the seams.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
For those of you missing Gordo this season you really owe it to yourself to catch Patriot if you haven't yet. Imagine a spy thriller except everyone is very open and honest with each other about their thoughts and feelings.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

For those of you missing Gordo this season you really owe it to yourself to catch Patriot if you haven't yet. Imagine a spy thriller except everyone is very open and honest with each other about their thoughts and feelings.

If you liked Patriot you should watch Perpetual Grace, LTD, it's like an even more unhinged Patriot (same creator).

It's a shame it's only one season but it's still worth watching.

Someday Steven Conrad will create a show with a good title that's on a network that actually promotes it and everyone will realize they've been missing out on a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

it took me far too long to recognize that he was John Lakeman. spent basically the entire show up til the end just thinking the characters had uncannily similar voice direction before thinking to look it up