Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

catholicism and protestantism have nothing on how tv databases organize cartoons

in 1000 years whoever packaged looney tunes for saturday morning tv is going to be treated like rodrigo borgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Any ideas why a video with EAC3 audio would play fine in VLC but only play background music and not dialogue in Plex (for Windows)?

edit: nvm - it was an issue with my headphones

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 13, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a way for Sonaar to download different qualities of episodes?

For example Black Mirror is S1-2 1080p and S3-5 4K.

It really seems like there's no way, from my tinkering, to do this, I just wanted to make sure because it feels like REALLY basic functionality that should exist. Sonaar has no trouble differentiating between the formats on a per show basis so why would it be difficult on a per season basis, especially if the user set it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You could set a quality profile that includes both 1080p and 4K and it’ll grab the best it can find that’s available for all seasons.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Run 2 instances

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Holy poo poo I love both of your avatars lol

Before Covid I had to go into the office so I had avatars off- turns out I was missing a lot.

how does one run two instances? You mean like two folders, both running, and one is running a show with a 4K filter and the other is running the same show with a 1080p filter or... ? I'm not sure if I get it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You could set a quality profile that includes both 1080p and 4K and it’ll grab the best it can find that’s available for all seasons.

Tempting but I'm super OCD and it would trigger me big time if Plex could only find 1080p for a show that's 4K, because in my experience you can usually find the 4K version, it's just something a layer deeper (like for example downloading a 200GB file that includes ALL the episodes in 4K, which for whatever reason Sonaar usually ignores). Maybe it has a file size limit?

In any case my point is that just because Sonaar can't find something, does NOT mean it can't be found. when Sonaar can't find something I can usually look myself and find it at least 50% of the time.

e: That being said, if it would constantly scan and actively update the files to the highest resolution, continually, that might be ok...

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 16, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The two instance thing is usually run by people who share libraries and want 4K copies of shows for themselves and 1080p for other people (saves bandwidth, less confusion due to color space issues etc).

I’ve generally not had issues with 4K stuff being found individually but it might be down to indexer.

Personally I do all my 4K stuff by hand because I don’t want to run a second instance and I don’t want the drive getting out of hand with a terabyte or two of 4K episodes that I forget I even have.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's fair and a good point.

I do have a lot of 4K issues on my plex, namely people attempting to watch 4K remux either without a 4K set, or simply because Plex makes you manually configure the client to run remux at original quality (WHY loving WHY does Plex not use original quality as default)

As a result, I have to explain to normies about their settings and its a 50/50 situation in terms of if they can figure it out.

So I field questions from people where "the movie is stuttering" due to bandwidth issues. It's not- my computer just can't transcode an 80GB 4K remux down to 1080p or whatever their settings happen to be.

If anyone knows a good way to get a computer to actually transcode a 4K remux on the fly I'm all ears because it's a giant pain in my rear end.

Having the 1080p version is a totally good point and concept, but my server is approaching 60TB without that kind of concession and I don't think I want to pony up for the 2x 16TB drives that would probably take...

Bandwidth is no issue as we have unlimited gigabit fiber, but the transcoding murders my (very good!) computer and it's a bad experience for everyone.

Only one user on my plex is actually setup to direct play TrueHD 7.1 and full remux quality, it's enraging.

e: And frankly it's a huge buzzkill when I have to tell people they just probably can't watch the movie section because its 90% 4K remux.

e2: I also never realized how few people actually have a 4K tv among the normie population until I started running my plex as a community service. I would say the majority of my friends don't have a 4K set. And like, we're in the bay area, money isn't really an issue it's just not something people think about.

Then we have the same convo over and over... ok... make sure X and Y settings are set to the highest quality. Yeah, you can't watch any of the movies. No, there isn't anything I can realistically do about it. No, it's not bandwidth, we have functionally unlimited bandwidth in fact, I just can't transcode an 80GB 4K blu ray. Even if I could, it would take a huge percentage of my (pretty nice) Ryzen CPU. Yes, that makes my plex about half as useful to you as it otherwise would be, but at least you can watch a good percentage of the shows, so it's not a total loss...

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 16, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Honestly the best solution with current tech and internet speeds would be to do a separate 1080p library. Building a machine capable of many 4k transcodes is going to be painful.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The two instance thing is usually run by people who share libraries and want 4K copies of shows for themselves and 1080p for other people (saves bandwidth, less confusion due to color space issues etc).

This is what I do and it works really great for me. Separate entry on the homescreen for 4k stuff shared only to local account and 1080p for everyone else.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Taima posted:

If anyone knows a good way to get a computer to actually transcode a 4K remux on the fly I'm all ears because it's a giant pain in my rear end.

Intel Quicksync? I'm watching my old i5 transcode a 70 GB Dune remux to 1080p for my phone, CPU util hanging out around 50%.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

acksplode posted:

Intel Quicksync? I'm watching my old i5 transcode a 70 GB Dune remux to 1080p for my phone, CPU util hanging out around 50%.

Interesting so it doesn't stutter either? What do you need to get this going?

The problem for me isn't just the stuttering though; this is my main gaming machine that just happens to also host a 60TB server off the top.

Just a couple of people transcoding a 4K remux would, I think, destroy my machine in terms of simultaneously using it for, say, playing God of War at 4K/120 fps.

Direct Play is so low key, that even if I'm, say, utilizing half of my gigabit upstream for users playing (100% legal linux ISOs), it really doesn't affect anything for my other uses.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Taima posted:

Interesting so it doesn't stutter either? What do you need to get this going?
An Intel CPU made in the last like 6 years and a plex pass so you can enable hardware transcoding in plex. https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

quote:

The problem for me isn't just the stuttering though; this is my main gaming machine that just happens to also host a 60TB server off the top.

Just a couple of people transcoding a 4K remux would, I think, destroy my machine in terms of simultaneously using it for, say, playing God of War at 4K/120 fps.

Direct Play is so low key, that even if I'm, say, utilizing half of my gigabit upstream for users playing (100% legal linux ISOs), it really doesn't affect anything for my other uses.
Yeah tbf my machine could handle maaaaybe two such transcodes at once. But it's also an old i5, I'm sure newer i7s have way better performance. GoW isn't heavy on the CPU, that might actually run fine when there are active transcodes, but there are definitely more CPU intensive games that could get starved. My advice from the GPU megathread:

acksplode posted:

Low-power big-storage always-on media server paired with high-performance cooling-optimized usually-off gaming rig IMO. Like peanut butter and jelly. Like the katana and wakizashi

acksplode fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enos Cabell posted:

This is what I do and it works really great for me. Separate entry on the homescreen for 4k stuff shared only to local account and 1080p for everyone else.

Yeah, it’s a common enough solution that it would be nice if both plex and Sonarr down the line implements features so you don’t have to. Plex feels like it really should be able to do this without too much issue, the client knows what it can and can’t play and when it sees multiple versions of a film it should pick the most appropriate from the list. Maybe one day.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

With Plex you could create a separate library for a directory with 4K content and then not share it out. Not sure if you can set up the arrs to handle that though. Guess you could hack your way to victory by running a separate instance of each for 4K, that would suck to manage.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

acksplode posted:

With Plex you could create a separate library for a directory with 4K content and then not share it out. Not sure if you can set up the arrs to handle that though. Guess you could hack your way to victory by running a separate instance of each for 4K, that would suck to manage.

Yeah that's exactly what we're doing. Would definitely be nice if Plex could handle it more elegantly, but after the initial setup it's not too hard to manage. I run everything in docker containers though on a separate server, trying to do it on your primary machine would be annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Semi related but if you’re not aware of it grab the container for unpackerr if you are sonarr’ing stuff. I had deluge auto extracting but often sonarr would grab a partially completed extraction, unpackerr integrates directly into the flow nicely!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

When I share my server with someone and I am not there to help set it up. I usually give them these links to help them get their settings up to original quality and to get the best experience.

https://www.majestechs.com/plex

https://mvgrafx.net/plex/

https://m.imgur.com/a/QAUFN13

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man you guys must have cool friends/family because if I started sending around technical documents for my server 90% of my users would probably just wander off

I can usually get them to enable original quality in the settings, that's about it.

My server is so well stocked and frequently updated via Sonaar that it saves them huge amounts of money and sometimes has poo poo BEFORE they can even find it on their service, so you would think they would have motivation but a lot of people are so locked into their routine in my experience.

These are successful, smart people, broadly speaking. Attention spans are just short, people are less technical than ever on average, and life is so intense in various ways that a lot of people are just trying to live their safe routine and have no spare motivation for whatever you're trying to introduce them to.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 16, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The head scratching ones are friends who watch shows I have on plex on their cable services with ads they have to skip through. Like, they watch the shows and movies they don’t have fine, then they’ll watch some reality show that breaks for commercials every 5 minutes on a dvr or even worse, live.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Two of my Plex users were streaming so much from me, I convinced/guilt tripped them into building their own Unraid Plex servers. The rest of my friends just think I'm a wizard for running my own Overseerr https://overseerr.dev/ + Discord bot with auto downloading.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Overseerr is excellent and has cut down my time spent tracking down stuff for friends a lot. The views it has for networks is especially nice if you're looking to keep up with what's on Netflix currently etc.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Aware posted:

Overseerr is excellent and has cut down my time spent tracking down stuff for friends a lot. The views it has for networks is especially nice if you're looking to keep up with what's on Netflix currently etc.

I don't even bother opening Sonarr/Radarr much anymore - most of the time, I'll just go onto Overseerr from my phone and make a request.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Same. It's handy when I'm out and someone mentions a movie or show and I can have it down by the time I get home. It's mobile interface is 100x better than sonarr etc.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Aware posted:

Overseerr is sort of ahead of the game here, they have specific permissions for 4k requests and let you designate a separate instance of Radarr as being specifically for 4k. So yeah, right now the most common setup is a separate Plex library for 4k content and a second instance of Radarr for 4k requests.

Makes it easy to limit access to 4k stuff to only people you know are set up for it by only giving those folks access to the 4k library and 4k requests so that they don't also crush your storage with a 70gb remux of the minions movie.

Gay Retard posted:

I don't even bother opening Sonarr/Radarr much anymore - most of the time, I'll just go onto Overseerr from my phone and make a request.
Same, it's really great. Also recommend LunaSea for a way to manage your arr apps and get push notifications for Overseerr.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 17, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Overseerr looks fun but it kinda sucks there’s no native way of installing it on MacOS unless you use docker.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't give a poo poo about 4k content so I just limit everything to 1080p and avoid bluray remuxes and other such trash with filters where needed. I'm not a videophile at home and my users are mostly sitting on 720p transcodes or the occasional 1080p direct play.

Edit: once you get comfortable with containers it's a better way to set things up anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have Requestrr (with a discord bot) but Overseerr looks nicer!

None of my plex users seem to care about requesting only I use it because I can do it easily from anywhere I can access discord.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Overseerr looks fun but it kinda sucks there’s no native way of installing it on MacOS unless you use docker.

You should totally give docker a try!

Back in ~2015, I was running kodi-related web services from my always-on MacBook, and now that I'm so used to firing up docker containers using Unraid, I would have killed for some of the docker functionality back then that I'm so used to now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gay Retard posted:

You should totally give docker a try!

Back in ~2015, I was running kodi-related web services from my always-on MacBook, and now that I'm so used to firing up docker containers using Unraid, I would have killed for some of the docker functionality back then that I'm so used to now.

Docker on MacOS works but it sucks. It will suck up RAM and CPU like crazy. But yes I agree otherwise, containerize everything and keep the base system clean.

Docker on linux doesn't have these issues because it doesn't need a middleware VM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d probably look more into docker if I was building a system from scratch, but it’s a hard sell for an existing system that’s been running along fine for years with no real issues. And yeah ram hogging isn’t great, I need to up that machine to 16 at some point but it’s doing ok with just 8 as it is for the moment.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are Rapsberry Pi’s any good at Docker? I’ve often thought about transitioning some of my containers away from Unraid to a Pi in order to reduce any bottlenecking that may occur.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

Are Rapsberry Pi’s any good at Docker? I’ve often thought about transitioning some of my containers away from Unraid to a Pi in order to reduce any bottlenecking that may occur.

I think an interesting thing would be a kubernetes cluster for dockers on a few Pis, harder to do now because they are sparse to buy. I don’t know much about that just something I heard of once and thought it might be a neat project.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Gay Retard posted:

For the most part, yes. For the Plex family of apps you won’t really have any issues as the fine folks at linuxserver.io will have you covered. What gets funky is that every so often you’ll run into something that won’t work on the Pi as the ARM/ARM64 architectures that power the Pi aren’t as widespread as their Intel/AMD cousins. Thankfully Apple’s recent moves mean there is steadily growing user base of ARM64 beyond hobbyist edge cases so it’ll only get better with time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gay Retard posted:

Anything that natively supports cgroups (Linux) is fine with docker. You're only limited by CPU/GPU/Network.

I've toyed with the same idea but in the end it's just easier to keep it all on UnRAID. All my stuff hits the cache first so I rarely see any kind of bottlenecking.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It also bears mentioning that without "hardening" the OS (read: log2ram) SD cards are inevitable time bombs so you have to take that into account when making something that will get you yelled at when it goes down. You could get around this via mounting your OS to a USB/m.2 drive attached to the Pi but at that point you may as well go get a little Optiplex or something.

I adore the Pis, don't get me wrong, but more often than not if you're not tinkering/trying things out there are better solutions available, especially with the relative rarity of the boards these days.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

In the age of Pi scarcity, used uSFF machines is the obvious solution.

You can find some pretty nicely specced ones for less than $200-300 that would replace a Pi cluster without using much more power.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Currently, I have an old Dell workstation as my Unraid server hosting every service that I have in the house. Over the years there have been some situations that have caused unexpected downtimes that killed everything going on. On top of that, my original intention of this machine was to do a lot more than I am currently doing with this.

So my current goals are:

- Separation of key services so they are not all dependent on one another (an issue with one host doesn’t take down home automation, NAS, plex, piHole, etc)
- More focused hardware for the use case of each service (combining where it makes sense without violating the first bullet)
- Reduced power consumption where I can.

The question that I want to ask this thread though is, assuming I have my NAS separated and everything else running honky dory, what’s the best solution for delivering local 4K content and serving up transcoded 1080p externally. I’m thinking a NUC of some kind to host Plex/sab/sonarr/radarr with whatever that video accelerator function that I’ve heard about baked into it.

Budget is less of an issue, but definitely not looking to plate this thing in gold, what is the landscape looking like out there? Are there solutions that can transcode 1080p comfortably while direct playing 4k? Any suggestions on specs/models that I should be looking at? I saw model “NUC10i7FNH” mentioned in a reddit post, but no idea where that is on the spectrum.

Appreciate any feedback! Thank you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My opinion is it's far better to simply have a seperate 4k library especially if you're looking at the low end spec wise, with a HD library for your remote users. Most of them will be able to directplay x264 content anyway assuming bandwidth isn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aware posted:

My opinion is it's far better to simply have a seperate 4k library especially if you're looking at the low end spec wise, with a HD library for your remote users. Most of them will be able to directplay x264 content anyway assuming bandwidth isn't an issue.

Not sure if this is in response to me, I didn't mention that my 4K library is only for local.

Trying to get the lay of the land. If a higher spec dedicated plex machine is in order I'm good with that too.