Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

another friday, another drunkpost, i love you all.
countless hours of entertainment in this here thread.
united in faith, united in hate.

we will never meet each other in person, but i am sure you are just as big an rear end in a top hat as i am and thats a plus!

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
greetings to the us from the europe! (i dox myself just a tiny little bit here)
but wait...wasnt the titanic built in the uk or something? do you also live in the old world?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Kavros posted:

They cobbled together a stringy, weird fix that took care of it at the time but introduced yet more surprises and difficulty down the line as it butts up against code updates

crobbled

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Just hit 4 Million accounts created posted:

quote:

Accounts: 4 million

My Accounts including Self-referrals: 5

Referrals: 5

quote:

Yuuuup. Got 4 so far.

1 was bugged.

My OG.

1 for my wife.

An alt for... fun.

Will probably make more since all it requires is an email...

quote:

Do like me, I'm my own friends.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

"At last, a game doing it right! Dreams! Immersion!"

But every man is the same height and build, every woman a creepy soon-to-be deformed clone, no children exist, and despite an ongoing war of galactic scale no person has any injury worse than a rad scar...

I can't wait for an enterprising 22-year-old lead developer to rectify this by creating ~80 separate skeletons. Perhaps they can make a skeleton pipeline!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

4,000,004, game not found (for ten years).

Edit: Wait, It should be "Star Citizens: 4,000,004, game not found (for ten years)"

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 16, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Who would win in a Relic vs Jorunn simp death match?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

cmdrk posted:

Whoever wins, we lose.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

cmdrk posted:

Jorunn has him beat. He spends like full time work hours organizing Bar Citizens, doing SC streams with other game dads, and generally hyping SC in every way possible.

If we’re using an Animal Farm analogy he’s the Boxer the Horse to Chris’ Napoleon the pig. The tireless and clueless workhorse pouring his free labor into a scam.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 16, 2022

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
You know you got the good jerky when you open a bag and the dog comes running, thinking it’s a treat.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

cmdrk posted:

WTFsoras vs Rexzilla?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Kj9H20w.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Star Citizen: I'm my own friends.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I hope all went well for you, forums buddy. :ohdear:

Thank you - had a really stupid fall! Yeah its all going well and i ditched the crutches today.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

That's peak hipster if I ever saw it.

I didnt think i could be less hip but i was wrong by 50%.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shazback posted:

"At last, a game doing it right! Dreams! Immersion!"

But every man is the same height and build, every woman a creepy soon-to-be deformed clone, no children exist, and despite an ongoing war of galactic scale no person has any injury worse than a rad scar...

I can't wait for an enterprising 22-year-old lead developer to rectify this by creating ~80 separate skeletons. Perhaps they can make a skeleton pipeline!

It’s amazing just how boring, lifeless and unimaginative their NPC’s are after 10 years. They sort of tried to give them variety on Hurston, but then every other landing zone looks like it’s populated solely by lobotomized Apple Store employees. Somehow this is all the product of hundreds of artists working with an immense budget.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Bumble He posted:

another friday, another drunkpost, i love you all.
countless hours of entertainment in this here thread.
united in faith, united in hate.

we will never meet each other in person, but i am sure you are just as big an rear end in a top hat as i am and thats a plus!
thank you.

have fun

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey, finally you woke up! We were getting worried there.

Pandemic? Cryptocurrency? Star Citizen? Micro transactions? What are you talking about?

It's 1999, we're having a LAN party this weekend. We're going to play Master of Orion 2 and Heroes. Rob says he can burn a few CDs with Unreal Tournament but only if we play Freespace with him. Here, install this, and then we gotta get your PC in the car!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

1999?

I'd take my PC over to a mates farm where we would lan one on one Quake 2 on a chest freezer in a hallway, why standing up while getting stoned, then watch Ali G, then more bong hits then back to Quake.

Stoned, Quake 1 on 1 death match on lan face to face was tight.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Kosumo posted:

1999?

I'd take my PC over to a mates farm where we would lan one on one Quake 2 on a chest freezer in a hallway, why standing up while getting stoned, then watch Ali G, then more bong hits then back to Quake.

Stoned, Quake 1 on 1 death match on lan face to face was tight.

:bisonyes:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
LAN lol. StarCraft multiplayer via nullmodem is where it's at.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orcane posted:

Pfft, split screen StarCraft on N64 is where the true gamers dwell.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Pfft, split screen StarCraft on N64 is where the true gamers dwell.

:eyepop:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

Look at the Blizzardbot. Total Annihilation is where it's at. :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dunno if anyone's posted this yet, but the algorithm coughed this up for me. It's a dude who's somehow never heard of SC playing it for the first time :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CryKMSG-FQY

Seriously though, for all that Citizens hype up how this is the best game ever with a playerbase growing by leaps and bounds, you'd think that a dude with more than half a million subs (which seems quite respectable to me) would've heard of it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The 2017 roadmap is almost completed posted:

Do you remember the 2017 roadmap?

Well it is (almost) complete.

It is only missing : Drones, Breaching, Transport missions, Spectrum ingame integration, Holographic shader, Sun shader, Cargo manifest app, Cargo UI, Mobiglass overhaul, SOTA Crossbow, Hull C and the BMM.

It's nice to see that CIG's priorities and plan haven't changed since, everything ended up arriving and fitting together as planned, of course it took a little longer, but we're still consistent with the timeline in terms of chain of events they had foreseen, it's quite reassuring.

quote:

What exactly do you want to achieve with this thread? Other than throwing salt, of course.

quote:

I remember now why I left Spectrum and shouldn't have come back. Haters flooding it with bad jokes and memes, and pretending everyone else is the hater.

quote:

I think that roadmap and people perception are a bit misleading.

CIG does complete their set up works.

They have been doing that for ages. What people seems to not realise that they do "scrap" a lot of stuff once they learn there is a better way and they do a revision on top of it to achieve the scope of the game they set out to be. So it's basically "iteration" once their learning increments.

For example, a huge example of it is the database in memory (with redis) and their massive plan of icache for persistence.
Upon developing and testing it on later stages they realised some physical constraints it brings and the latency wasn't good enough for future works and scope of the game (from servers to networks everywhere) so they begin internally looking into new approaches thus going at it again.

One thing I can safely tell you, the directors of CIG for "tech" (just to name a few eg. Marco Corbetta, Paul Rendell, Alistair Brown and many others) are no joke, they are extremely extremely knowledgeable people that are able to bring in latest industry researches and help the team to seek for the right paths (so how to go about implementing it) towards their backend goals for star citizen.
Of course many people don't realise one thing, that people leave as well. So being able to make sure the first or second or next iteration plan for tech of SC doesn't get forgotten since there is no "set release date for the game due to still being in alpha" they also set up robust training process to bring in shape the new employees (eg. the shop npc thingy they discussed which was a by product of the bartender recently and used to train employees). This often delays workflow as well.

Then the last two years they have been working on (18 devs) under the radar on a graph style networking approach which is micro architecture based (check the citizencon 2021 video about the state of persistence).
Essentially like netflix or big softwares, they want to expand horizontally each services when needed to achieve the bandwidth required to expand the universe and have more people.

Other games are usually sharded meaning you just expand an "instance" multiple times to accommodate people or when you duplicate a "server" it is always the same unchanging instance of the same map (which can be interacted and modified ofc). While here they are trying to basically have a server being authoritarian of just one space of the universe (eg. at the begin a whole system), and essentially not have loading screen on the transition, and being able to constantly read and write the graph that updates every single entity of the game. It's like the server hopping tech in ffxiv but no loading screen and no same environments and constant requirement to keep updating it very fast.

So as you can guess from here, this example applies to anything. Even building blocks UI, they work on one version internally, if is not good enough we don't even see it and they start on the next iteration, so stuff supposed to come earlier often gets delayed due to new discovery and such.
I am pretty sure specially for UI this is the case, since SC uses RTT, holo--view and many other ways to represent UI in screen. They have been constantly modifying and adding stuff to their internal UI maker to make sure it's more refined.

Even the cargo UI that is coming, we recently saw in a spectrum post, that is way more in depth than we imagined but stuff that requires real time updates of ship internal structure won't come now due to the fact they are reworking how the whole backend system deals with entity (aka the persistence graph work for persistence streaming and server meshing).

Further later what might even happen is this features gets fully reworked once they discover the complexity of their new graph based persistence network tech and how UI that requires real time update will need to work with the backend to optimise performance.

Personally I don't really mind ships getting delayed as much, since later they are made better they come out in every sense. As their internal layout matches in terms of consistency with their later vision and requires much less rework or update.

Overall, roadmap entries are basically what their project owners thinks are necessary to be done to move further, and if a team discovers some innovative ways to do stuff that could bring improvements in general, they modify all entries of the roadmap that are affected again to accommodate the new discovery.

Recently we have been seeing CIG do great strides to even increase the number of assets they can make at a given time. The mighty bridge tool is being developed just for that. To leverage power of giants like houdini both for procedural generation and for quick implementation of assets in engine.

In addition we have also heard them looking into Text to voice tech and who knows maybe AI generated dialogue or sounds in future to accommodate the huge amount of interaction dialogue necessary for the game.

Finally even AI, now has to be thought again in order to make sure it fits the theme of disaggregated server, where due to the fact authority is not just of one server, who gets to command (which server) a specific generated NPC (not simulated on the background ones) that is traversing various regions of space. Hell they might even end up making them as micro services, generated on the fly as required and independent from the existence of servers (like quanta) so that they perform better. Obviously there are big cost involved to spool up stuff just for that, but who knows what future holds!

Therefore, the way people should perceive roadmap is just how CIG is evolving throughout years to accommodate more contents required for future.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
When did Shadow of the Avatar launch?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

"Test the limits".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

It’s amazing just how boring, lifeless and unimaginative their NPC’s are after 10 years. They sort of tried to give them variety on Hurston, but then every other landing zone looks like it’s populated solely by lobotomized Apple Store employees. Somehow this is all the product of hundreds of artists working with an immense budget.

The character direction has been "old, tired, and jaded people living in the 1990's but it's the far future of space". This results in boring characters who feel like they'd rather be in another game but it's what Chris Roberts sees as real life because in real life nobody enjoys their jobs or has a personality or really needs clothes that aren't all black.

:emo:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

FishMcCool posted:

Look at the Blizzardbot. Total Annihilation is where it's at. :colbert:

Good game but for 1999 you should be playing Warzone 2100 :colbert:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey, finally you woke up! We were getting worried there.

Pandemic? Cryptocurrency? Star Citizen? Micro transactions? What are you talking about?

It's 1999, we're having a LAN party this weekend. We're going to play Master of Orion 2 and Heroes. Rob says he can burn a few CDs with Unreal Tournament but only if we play Freespace with him. Here, install this, and then we gotta get your PC in the car!

Dont do me like this

EDIT:
On the other hand, this thread has kinda become my comfort thread. The world might be going in a less than desirable direction these days, and my worries are far surpassing my pleasures, but at least i can count on star citizen being a neverending train-wreck, and you goons to provide me with shadenfreude. Thanks.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NumptyScrub posted:

Good game but for 1999 you should be playing Warzone 2100 :colbert:

You should be playing warzone 2100 now it's great and free to download.

Sadly, you probably cannot play it in 3dfx glide mode.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

GyverMac posted:

Dont do me like this

EDIT:
On the other hand, this thread has kinda become my comfort thread. The world might be going in a less than desirable direction these days, and my worries are far surpassing my pleasures, but at least i can count on star citizen being a neverending train-wreck, and you goons to provide me with shadenfreude. Thanks.

It's honestly frightening that we might see the end of human civilization before Chris finishes his masterpiece.

.random
May 7, 2007

Sandweed posted:

It's honestly frightening inspiring that we might see the end of human civilization before Chris finishes his masterpiece.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

.random posted:

Sandweed posted:

It's honestly frightening inspiring that we might see the end of human civilization before Chris finishes his masterpiece.

Chris didn't fail us. Humanity failed Chris. If only we had pledged more, faster.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, "Tier 0 server meshing coming next year".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandweed posted:

It's honestly frightening that we might see the end of human civilization before Chris finishes his masterpiece.

+1

Be safe forums friends. :3:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Well I'm moving to The Stimpire before human civilization ends, I've got a bolt hole there ...... it cost me many skeletons. (Although I am worried about Rub)

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I haven't really looked in on this train wreck in a couple years now. I wonder how it's

Mirificus dredged reddit for 2017 roadmap posted:

It is only missing... the BMM

Ahahahahhahahahahaha

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

cmdrk posted:

Chris didn't fail us. Humanity failed Chris. If only we had pledged more, faster.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, "Tier 0 server meshing coming next year".

Yeah I don't want funding to stop, i don't want SC to fizzle out like Shroud of the Avatar. I want funding to increase so we either get the game Chris promised, or we get a hilarious implosion when every single backer does a 180 to "it was never a donation or a pledge, I bought in game assets and now that SC is canceled and CIG is shutting down I demand a refund"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1548638789022760965