Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mellow_ posted:

Wait, is this the UI element having physics applied to it and bumping their character?

Can you do this with other people's characters?

:rubby:

I'm guessing that there's a small "I've changed clothes" animation that plays when you swap clothes. The 2 bugs causing this are that the animation is slightly broken and causes the model to bump up about a foot and that they have not prevented the animation from stacking infinitely if you change clothes really fast.

You can see near the beginning that the player model comes back down to the ground at the end of the animation but if you stack the animations it will only reach the 'come back down' part on the very last animation cycle.

This seems very CIG-style to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fidelitious posted:

I'm guessing that there's a small "I've changed clothes" animation that plays when you swap clothes. The 2 bugs causing this are that the animation is slightly broken and causes the model to bump up about a foot and that they have not prevented the animation from stacking infinitely if you change clothes really fast.

You can see near the beginning that the player model comes back down to the ground at the end of the animation but if you stack the animations it will only reach the 'come back down' part on the very last animation cycle.

This seems very CIG-style to me.

It's a bit like over-loading “climb ball” animations in Psychonauts to create flying…
…except this was probably intentionally made to solve some other issue and just ended up creating a new one because CI¬G. :haw:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Also, why aren't the Citizens complaining about the instantaneous clothing change? It should take a couple of minutes to change your outfit at least. Are we to believe these are some sort of magical clothes being swapped by a wizard?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/ti4lF3X.mp4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
does that goose have shoes on

i think it does. lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

Didn't they also reprogram an error message to show up a thank you instead of an actual crash message because the game crashed on exit?

yeah they did that for a wing commander game cause it made the dos memory manager crash lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Play posted:

does that goose have shoes on

i think it does. lol

It escaped from the mocap studio.
Finally, the reason for the delay in procedural birds has been revealed.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What the gently caress…

Washed up hack narrative? Boring recycled assets in-joke? All hopes resting on a big bombastic ship reveal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqhFlcol70

Are they ritually killing Chris by sacrificing their fake Clarkson?

Liked the deformable terrain and repair drones though. Looked like a good game.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 19, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Pixelate posted:

What the gently caress…

Washed up hack narrative? Boring recycled assets in-joke? All hopes resting on a big bombastic ship reveal?

why's everybody walking so weird. it's low-key some of the weirdest walking animations i've seen in a while

also, the way the lighting looks makes everything and everyone look kinda plastic-y, like an early PS4 title or something. not a good look tbh.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's like half the mocap actors have poo poo their pants.

He's as excited as ever though.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 19, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

It's like half the mocap actors have poo poo their pants.

Like that. Yes. Only like that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The use of a retarded bomb to wow the audience a bit on the nose.

https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/news-photo/an-a6e-intruder-medium-attack-aircraft-of-the-us-navy-news-photo/181178379

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Can't belive they are still doing the top gear bit.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kikas posted:

I was also referencing the fact that the uninstaller doesn't actually work, since it only deletes the launcher. The game instals itself in weird locations (hence the UAC guide above) so fully purging Star Citizen off your PC was hard last time I checked.

I installed it last year for the free fly and reported in here on it, and then tried to get rid of the garbage game and it was like Christopher Roberts had been making GBS threads turds all round my nice new PC.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Can we not use slurs like this in 2021 please

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HiroProtagonist posted:

Can we not use slurs like this in 2021 please

Read the article

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Read the article

Just because the article uses one doesn't make it ok

I was being intentionally dumb

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's impossible to tell, I actually reported that one myself to forestall the slurhounds that do regular searches

.random
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Just because the article uses one doesn't make it ok

I was being intentionally dumb

Retarded fin dumb bomb does sound like something you would say.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That design makes no sense for Star Citizen, since it needs air to do anything :psyduck:
I've forgotten how dumb SC was.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

.random posted:

Retarded fin dumb bomb does sound like something you would say.

there's a joke involving fin dom and star citizen here

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

nurmie posted:

why's everybody walking so weird. it's low-key some of the weirdest walking animations i've seen in a while

also, the way the lighting looks makes everything and everyone look kinda plastic-y, like an early PS4 title or something. not a good look tbh.

Oh God it's been another year already???

Seeing this fake Clarkson every November is like a constant reminder that time is beyond my control and I'm absolutely terrified that Chris Roberts can make me feel this way.

E: God drat it they even reused the part of the intro where he's high-fidelity cummin' into his ship's control panel.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mellow_ posted:

Oh God it's been another year already???

Seeing this fake Clarkson every November is like a constant reminder that time is beyond my control and I'm absolutely terrified that Chris Roberts can make me feel this way.

E: God drat it they even reused the part of the intro where he's high-fidelity cummin' into his ship's control panel.

yep another year's gone by and Star Citizen is still not released :smith: oh, the humanity

tbh, making a lame pseudo-TV show with a lame Clarkson clone (so like lame in the power of two) as the host and with inexplicable early 2000's sensibilities despite it being 295x in the ingame lore is a stroke of genius on CIG's part. in that when it comes to Star Citizen's target demographic, i bet it hits just right

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i'm now installing the game for the second time as the first time my internet disconnected halfway through. I reconnected and the download resumed from where it dropped, however after it finished downloading all the files it decided there was an error downloading the files and now it is downloading the entire game again

off to a good start

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, yes (palpatine face)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i'm now installing the game for the second time as the first time my internet disconnected halfway through. I reconnected and the download resumed from where it dropped, however after it finished downloading all the files it decided there was an error downloading the files and now it is downloading the entire game again

off to a good start

You poor bastard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
may god have mercy on your soul

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mellow_ posted:

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Played with a close friend today. Never touched it before. Kinda just laughed at it from a distance and gawked at the nearly 400mil budget. This game is really something else.

First, it doesn't look nearly good enough to justify the performance. It's objectively bad. Maybe it's a server thing, maybe a crytek thing, buts it's utter rear end. Maybe it's all rose tinted glasses but I remember Elite running and looking better than this by a country mile.

Second, this has such an utter lack of focus it's staggering. The ships certainly don't fly great. There's next to no feedback for what actions you perform. You don't do things, the game just kinda happens at you. I spent several hours simply bewildered how any of this came to pass. It's an attempt to recreate the automobile starting with the wheel, but the wheel has 4 sides.

To a degree this could actually be understandable if you never heard anything about it before and found it spontaneously on your desktop after a night if binge drinking antifreeze. But I didn't (I think), and they're selling it for real rear end money. 9 years of development and almost 400 million dollars with just nothing to show for it. Like even No Man's Sky got it's poo poo together. This isn't a plucky under dog story.

But the more staggering thing is it seems likely typically you can throw money at something and eventually it'll be solved. However how many more millions would this take to become at a minimum "acceptable"? Not feature complete but just okay? Who is this for? What does launch even look like? Why is a ladder on my HUD somewhere out in the multiverse? Why did I get flung down a mountain but can sprint back up fine with 2 broken legs? Who thought the targeting system is okay? Why would anyone willfully spend the time to observe a struggling tech demo?

gently caress this thing. Maybe it needs another 10 years and 400 million dollars, but what I've seen so far indicates it absolutely doesn't deserve it.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, eat my rear end Chris Roberts.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

First, it doesn't look nearly good enough to justify the performance. It's objectively bad. Maybe it's a server thing, maybe a crytek thing, buts it's utter rear end. Maybe it's all rose tinted glasses but I remember Elite running and looking better than this by a country mile.

This is what happens when you delay your game for a decade.

The tech you used a decade ago is loving rear end in the present.

Why do you hurt me like this?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mellow_ posted:

Why do you hurt me like this?

It’s ok, in 2028 he drives into a large black oblong and becomes one with time

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Beautiful

https://v.redd.it/t8qbqs7fvm081/DASH_480.mp4

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Star Citizen: headass simulator

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Moochewmoo posted:

Played with a close friend today. Never touched it before. Kinda just laughed at it from a distance and gawked at the nearly 400mil budget. This game is really something else.

Second, this has such an utter lack of focus it's staggering. The ships certainly don't fly great. There's next to no feedback for what actions you perform. You don't do things, the game just kinda happens at you. I spent several hours simply bewildered how any of this came to pass. It's an attempt to recreate the automobile starting with the wheel, but the wheel has 4 sides.

To a degree this could actually be understandable if you never heard anything about it before and found it spontaneously on your desktop after a night if binge drinking antifreeze. But I didn't (I think), and they're selling it for real rear end money. 9 years of development and almost 400 million dollars with just nothing to show for it. Like even No Man's Sky got it's poo poo together. This isn't a plucky under dog story.

But the more staggering thing is it seems likely typically you can throw money at something and eventually it'll be solved. However how many more millions would this take to become at a minimum "acceptable"? Not feature complete but just okay? Who is this for? What does launch even look like? Why is a ladder on my HUD somewhere out in the multiverse? Why did I get flung down a mountain but can sprint back up fine with 2 broken legs? Who thought the targeting system is okay? Why would anyone willfully spend the time to observe a struggling tech demo?

gently caress this thing. Maybe it needs another 10 years and 400 million dollars, but what I've seen so far indicates it absolutely doesn't deserve it.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, eat my rear end Chris Roberts.

:discourse:

As promised, anyone who makes a decent fist of engaging with this clusterfuck can have an avatar designed by the thread, if they want it.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

:discourse:

As promised, anyone who makes a decent fist of engaging with this clusterfuck can have an avatar designed by the thread, if they want it.

Know what? That would still only be the second worst choice I made today. I'll lay myself to the mercy of the thread.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Know what? That would still only be the second worst choice I made today. I'll lay myself to the mercy of the thread.

Please do, this weekend can only get better.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
as much as i'm tempted to jump head first into the digital abyss that is Star Citizen, i can't risk nor afford it bricking my PC and destroying all my stuff :ohdear:

though i wonder if i'd be spared the total destruction if i get an SSD with a separate Windows install that i can sacrifice to Star Citizen and not let it touch anything else

nurmie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 20, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow_ posted:

Wait, is this the UI element having physics applied to it and bumping their character?

Can you do this with other people's characters?

:rubby:

You used to be able to zoom in on other character's control panels (including their holographic UI) and click their buttons so maybe.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelate posted:

What the gently caress…

Man those haircuts keep getting shorter and shorter. Anyways, good to know the "game" will now have future APCs for all those future APC needs like yeah, and that one, and the other one too. But I guess the backers are too busy wanking off to the potential of putting a hoverbike inside to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

See the 'verse just like Chris Roberts does