Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Banner/Hulk has astigmatism, which means that he can't 'see' magic eye pictures. This is the source of Hulk's furious, angry rage and also why he needs glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Taeke posted:

I figured but I thought it was funny how you highlighted the most reasonable and easily explained aspect of the whole situation lol

I realized it at the time but didn't get into it on that level, which is even funnier to me - trying to imagine the conversation that led to Professor Hulk.

"Hey, Tony, I need some glasses but I can't find any that can fit my giant Hulk face"

"No problem, Bruce. We'll just scan your retinas real quick. Should only take a seco.....uhhh...Jarvis says that your eyesight is perfectly fine"

"I know. I just really want to get a new look and decided to go for 'smart' in this phase of my character development."

"Uhhhhhh...OK, Bruce. Well then, we'll just make a giant sized set of novelty reading glasses and get you all set here. I need to scan your head real quick and..."

"Can you make me a big Cardigan sweater too? Do you think a big pipe is overkill?"

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Professor Hulk wears glasses to disguise the fact that he is secretly The Hulk.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"That's my shameful secret. I was always squinting."

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hardcordion posted:

Son of a bitch :aaa:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Banner wear glasses? Given the Professor Hulk form is a middle ground between Hulk and Banner, it's possibly he still needs them. Or maybe the Hulk has also always had vision problems and Professor Hulk is just able and willing to recognise it. It'd explain a lot!

We see from Ang Lee Hulk's first person PoV a few times and it's all blurry

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Elissimpark posted:

Banner/Hulk has astigmatism, which means that he can't 'see' magic eye pictures. This is the source of Hulk's furious, angry rage and also why he needs glasses.

I’m accepting this as true now

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hardcordion posted:

That cant be true, they're totally different, for example the Hulk doesnt wear glasses.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I see the Hulk's physiology the same as his description of time travel's rules - "Either it's all a joke, or none of it is" I think that's my favourite line in the MCU tbh.

In Thor: L&T Jane Foster is trying to explain wormholes to a kid and tells him to see Interstellar which explains it quite clearly.

So I'm leaning towards joke.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Give us this Hulk you cowards

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

In Thor: L&T Jane Foster is trying to explain wormholes to a kid and tells him to see Interstellar which explains it quite clearly.

Interstellar or Event Horizon.

Anyway, I rewatched Mission Impossible: Fallout last night and while the action still remains good the movie does have the problem of acting like Ethan Hunt is literally the only person standing between civilization and disaster. Ving Rhames gives this whole speech about it and even the previously antagonistic CIA director is all "you're the only person who can stop stuff like this from happening with your special way of thinking" at the end of the movie. In fact, it was incredibly goofy to have an antagonistic CIA director who goes over to Ethan's way of thinking in the fifth movie and then do it all over again with his replacement in the sixth.

Also IMF directors really need to stop going out in the field considering the last two did it and both were killed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Maybe Hulk has always been very angry about his inability to see well.

E:f/b.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jul 17, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Alexander Siddig should have used his birth name in every credited role.
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

LOL

And every time the Hulk shows up, Betty and Rick are like "you ever notice how every time Hulk shows up Professor Hulk is never anywhere to be found?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Picturing Banner trying to find the last phone booth in Metropolis while steadily losing his poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Picturing Banner trying to find the last phone booth in Metropolis while steadily losing his poo poo.

He'd smash it

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

He'd smash it

Seems more like Spider-man's speed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

Seems more like Spider-man's speed

I thought trucks were his arch nemesis?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ynohtna posted:

"That's my shameful secret. I was always squinting."

Initially read this as "squirming" and was incredibly confused.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

BiggerBoat posted:

FAPPO!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

muscles like this! posted:

Ethan Hunt is literally the only person standing between civilization and disaster. Ving Rhames gives this whole speech about it and even the previously antagonistic CIA director is all "you're the only person who can stop stuff like this from happening with your special way of thinking" at the end of the movie.

There’s no getting away from the fact that these movies are excellent entertainment while simultaneously being a massive PR exercise for Tom Cruise. He’s the final authority on every aspect of the whole production, at least the most recent three: this gives us great stunts where you can see the crazy poo poo he’s willing to do, but also scenes where his best friend and his ex wife tell his new girlfriend he’s basically god.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Bricks

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Goddammit, For All Mankind.

If your broken thruster takes like 30 minutes to spin your space station up to dangerous G-levels, but then when you fix it your other thrusters can spin it back down to nominal in a minute or two, then that means your other thrusters are much more powerful and you could have just used them to counter the broken one in the first place. But earlier in the episode you said that you can't do that because the broken one is more powerful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, For All Mankind season 3 didn't really grab me, they should have stopped after season 2.

#teamdeke

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Alexander Siddig should have used his birth name in every credited role.
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

Needs to have his maternal uncle's on-screen surname in there too just so that more people know what family he's from.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
quote != edit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taeke posted:

I'm watching the new Resident Evil show on Netflix and I'm decently entertained, but it does remind me of something that annoys me often in shows like this: whenever there's an infection or whatever and you can set a timer to it. Like 72 hours after being bit you turn.
That makes no sense on at least two points:
First, it's so loving convenient of a virus to take into account human timekeeping like that! Thanks virus, 72 hours is exactly 3 days which is a nice round manageable number!
Second, everyone's biology is diferent, let alone different species. Even if we were to take the 72 hours thing as an average that would mean that some victims should turn a couple of hours sooner while others might hang on for 4 days instead of 3.

It's such a stupid plot device that's used wrongly too often.

I haven't seen the series so I don't know if it's different from the games, but in RE they're super science engineered weaponized viruses aren't they?

I mean yes, they still wouldn't work that way but they also make zombies and tyrants and stuff a virus can't do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Goddammit, For All Mankind.

If your broken thruster takes like 30 minutes to spin your space station up to dangerous G-levels, but then when you fix it your other thrusters can spin it back down to nominal in a minute or two, then that means your other thrusters are much more powerful and you could have just used them to counter the broken one in the first place. But earlier in the episode you said that you can't do that because the broken one is more powerful.

I may be misremembering, but I think they had the other thrusters already burning the whole time, counteracting the main thruster to slow the rate of acceleration. So in that case it'd make sense they would be able to decelerate much more quickly once they no longer needed to fight the main thruster.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ookiimarukochan posted:

Needs to have his maternal uncle's on-screen surname in there too just so that more people know what family he's from.

Genuinely didn't expect that one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

At least she didn't take a piece of paper, draw a line between two points on it, fold it in half, and poke a pencil through the two points.

Edit: Wait apparently she does this anyway?

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jul 18, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Morpheus posted:

At least she didn't take a piece of paper, draw a line between two points on it, fold it in half, and poke a pencil through the two points.

I wonder how many movies I've seen that use the pencil-through-folded-paper explanation for wormholes (or time travel or um... anything involving space and/or time I guess). I mean, I it works, right? Is there a better, more efficient way to convey the information?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Morpheus posted:

She uh, takes a page from her own book, literally.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's all thanks to Event Horizon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Honestly I figured that scene had a joke cut where she just said "see Interstellar. Or Event Horizon. or Deja Vu. Wait who doesn't already know this?" Like generally Waititi seems pretty genre savvy, it felt weird that that wasn't a setup to a bit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Watching Resident Evil the show on Netflix. Doesn't have anything to do with RE except for some names, but anyway. At one point Jade is having a video chat with a conspiracy guy, except the only apps open on her laptop are two instances of MS Paint and a folder. Additionally, the taskbar is telling her that she has no internet connection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theironjef posted:

Honestly I figured that scene had a joke cut where she just said "see Interstellar. Or Event Horizon. or Deja Vu. Wait who doesn't already know this?" Like generally Waititi seems pretty genre savvy, it felt weird that that wasn't a setup to a bit.

Waititi is genre savvy, but he also knows he's making a movie for people who are not necessarily savvy. He's also not making an advert for a different movie. The pop culture reference isn't being made to explain the concept, but rather to ground the movie in the real world. It's not like the end of The Italian Job where Michael Caine says "Hang on, I have an idea" but you never find out what it is. But it is like the previous sentence, where I referenced The Italian Job then organically explained why I'd done so in case you hadn't watched it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Morpheus posted:

At one point Jade is having a video chat with a conspiracy guy, except the only apps open on her laptop are two instances of MS Paint and a folder. Additionally, the taskbar is telling her that she has no internet connection.

I always liked when they very obviously had a video playing in quicktime/vlc/etc., and it including total video runtime/where the video was up to/file name, or whatever, and they were pretending it was video chat.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's not like the end of The Italian Job where Michael Caine says "Hang on, I have an idea" but you never find out what it is.

Wow it sounds like that Italian Job is a really lovely movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

She starts by recommending Event Horizon which is pretty hosed up

Also ruins his copy of her book by ripping out pages and demonstrating the most basic "wormholes as FTL travel" without even signing it when she's done