Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

knuthgrush posted:

it was nice knowing you... it really was.

but seriously, you're gonna have a blast. the fc is my most favoritest of all the degrees. so much packed into it. congrats!

Thanks! I’ve been drilling myself on the questions and I think I’ve got it right. Rehearsal is this Monday so we’ll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I've been taking Shawn Eyer's Early Texts of Freemasonry seminar and my mind has been blown multiple times by things I've learned. It is the sort of Masonic education I expected and never got when I joined. Highly recommended. A new cohort is now being planned, so follow this facebook page or get in touch with Shawn via the page if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/masonicformation/posts/216571957068290

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been taking Shawn Eyer's Early Texts of Freemasonry seminar and my mind has been blown multiple times by things I've learned. It is the sort of Masonic education I expected and never got when I joined. Highly recommended. A new cohort is now being planned, so follow this facebook page or get in touch with Shawn via the page if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/masonicformation/posts/216571957068290

Any non facebook sources? I've been off FB for a few years now and intend to stay that way.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Cimber posted:

Any non facebook sources? I've been off FB for a few years now and intend to stay that way.

Yeah I'll PM you his email

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Cimber posted:

Same for me, wrt the being off facebook and when I was in Portland in 2019 I tried to visit the Lodge there but there was no way to reach them without FB.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
There was no way grand lodge could have put you in touch with the lodge secretary?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
And now, for no reason other than I just ran across it again, I present a picture of my paternal grandparents, with grandpa Chuck in his Shriner fez! I thought y'all might appreciate it. I believe it's from the late 90s and in Iowa near Sioux City

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Ok, I think I have the “usual questions” for the second degree memorised. Here goes for tonight.

edit: welp that’s it, I’m a Fellow Craft now. I screwed up one of the usual questions slightly but aside from that it all went well and a good night was had by all.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 22, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just did a 1st degree. Had the Deputy GM for the state attend. That was fun.

I was doing the why's and wherefors, nailed it. Perfect.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Well done both!

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019
I am currently preparing for my EA degree, I was supposed to complete it this month, but not enough people to do it. I did have the amazing experience of seeing an open officer install last year, and met the Oregon Grand Master and most recently the Deputy Grand Master. So far enjoying it more than I thought I would. Excited to get started on my fellowcraft.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

felixdrkmessnger posted:

I am currently preparing for my EA degree, I was supposed to complete it this month, but not enough people to do it. I did have the amazing experience of seeing an open officer install last year, and met the Oregon Grand Master and most recently the Deputy Grand Master. So far enjoying it more than I thought I would. Excited to get started on my fellowcraft.

Getting involved in Freemasonry was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, you won’t regret it.

Just be warned, if it’s a double first degree you might need to share the goat with the other candidate.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Getting involved in Freemasonry was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, you won’t regret it.

Just be warned, if it’s a double first degree you might need to share the goat with the other candidate.

I'll make sure to give the other candidate the sloppy seconds. So far there is a lot of excitement on my end and I love what Masonry stands for and the charity. It is a very unique history, even if some people believe the conspiracy theories.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Can I get a referral to join the Masons? I am a pretty well established guy and would like to take my networking skills to the next level.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cheese Thief posted:

Can I get a referral to join the Masons? I am a pretty well established guy and would like to take my networking skills to the next level.

Sure. Tell your local lodge I sent you. I'm sort of a big deal, you see.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Cimber posted:

Sure. Tell your local lodge I sent you. I'm sort of a big deal, you see.

So I just show up? I have a co worker that maybe could put a good work in for me too.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cheese Thief posted:

So I just show up? I have a co worker that maybe could put a good work in for me too.
Yeah, just show up at your local lodge's public meeting and tell them you want to join for networking

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

vortmax posted:

Yeah, just show up at your local lodge's public meeting and tell them you want to join for networking

But in all seriousness, Freemasonry isn't for networking. If networking is what you are looking for join the Rotary Club. Freemasonry is a men's fraternity that provides social interaction, charity, moral lessons and fun.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

However, I failed at that a year or so ago when a brother here asked me for advice on how to advance his business I helped him out, pointed him to a possible client and then he took that client and thrived. It really helped him turn his thing around and made it possible for him to continue with his passion job as well as pay the bills. Hereby I offer my deepest apologies, it will not happen again. (or will it, I got a call this weekend...)

Basically this:

Cimber posted:

But in all seriousness, Freemasonry isn't for networking. If networking is what you are looking for join the Rotary Club. Freemasonry is a men's fraternity that provides social interaction, charity, moral lessons and fun.
But if you know and trust a group of people, you also know where to ask if you have questions about things.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I once was advised by a brother to send my resume to another brother who worked in a hiring capacity for a major telecom. I did not. Probably a blunder on my part, honestly.

I did have the impression that said brother respected that my intentions were not mercenary or it wouldn't have been offered, but still it just felt too much like something I wouldn't respect myself for if my career did end up based upon being preferentially hired for something over someone more qualified because I am a Mason.

Some advice and suggesting a possible client is one thing. The insinuation of "this guy who has never met you will give you a job because I told him to" though didn't sit well with me. But maybe I'm super naive and should have jumped at the opportunity. It isn't like I've had many others.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

I once was advised by a brother to send my resume to another brother who worked in a hiring capacity for a major telecom. I did not. Probably a blunder on my part, honestly.

I did have the impression that said brother respected that my intentions were not mercenary or it wouldn't have been offered, but still it just felt too much like something I wouldn't respect myself for if my career did end up based upon being preferentially hired for something over someone more qualified because I am a Mason.

Some advice and suggesting a possible client is one thing. The insinuation of "this guy who has never met you will give you a job because I told him to" though didn't sit well with me. But maybe I'm super naive and should have jumped at the opportunity. It isn't like I've had many others.

I don't avoid or seek out business with a brother mason. If I do business with a brother all I expect is that he will give me a square deal, on the level and nothing more.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Cimber posted:

Oh go and ruin my fun. 😡😂

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

If you get enough like-minded people under one roof some amount of networking is bound to happen but if that is your reason for joining there are other organisations better suited to you.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I like being apart of history, and Freemason has a rich social structure dating back way beyond what I am educated to. I like to travel and having that steady collective, it’s interesting on a few levels. Sure just saying “networking” sounds superficial, I get that.

i really wish I had joined a long time back because going to Europe, seeing the lodges and meeting the people would be, seemingly, super interesting.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 16, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I don’t recall if there are any Australian Freemasons here, but one of the unique things about Australian Freemasonry is that the dress code is a bit more strict than in most countries. Here, when you've done your third degree you need to wear a dinner suit with bow tie. I've been keeping an eye out for good second hand dinner suits for a while now and I think I found the perfect one:

This apparently came from the estate of Charles "Bud" Tingwell, an Australian TV and film actor who started out as a junior radio announcer just before World War Two, while still in high school. During the war he volunteered with the Royal Australian Air Force, flying the Spitfire fighter and Mosquito light bomber with 680 Squadron in the Middle East. He made his first film appearance in 1946, starring in Smithy, a biopic based on the life aviation pioneer Charles Kingsford-Smith. Bud Tingwell went on to star in over a hundred films, and made countless TV, stage and radio appearances.

He was also a Freemason, having been initiated in Lodge Carinya No. 719 in January 1950, passed to Fellow Craft in July that same year, and raised to Master Mason in 1951. Lodge Carinya merged with a number of other lodges, finally ending up as Lodge John Willams No. 148 where he remained an active member of the lodge for the rest of his life.

I'm a little humbled to wear the same dinner suit he would have worn to so many of his lodge meetings, and genuinely surprised that it fits me so well. Looks like the Great Architect really came through.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I would really like to visit the nearest TO lodge eventually, but yeah they dress to the nines like that. Also white gloves?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Yep, white gloves. At my initiation they gave me some with the square and compasses on the back.

Edit: I've just been doing some reading, most Australian lodges would probably be considered TO lodges in the United States. They take the dress code and ritual work really seriously.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 17, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/blackhawkadvent/status/1530272730867720192

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Open > Lodge
Look
Look > Goat
(redacted) > Goat

Are any goons involved in Masonry in New Jersey?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Installation this afternoon, the 1 (one) time per year I wear the black bow tie instead of the straight one. Ritual work for the installation involves the traditional searching of the youtube for the reminder on tying it properly

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

Installation this afternoon, the 1 (one) time per year I wear the black bow tie instead of the straight one. Ritual work for the installation involves the traditional searching of the youtube for the reminder on tying it properly

Do what everyone in my lodge does, we use captain clipon.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m a 3rd degree, but I haven’t been involved or paying dues for a few years. I’m in a different stage of my life now, and I miss the camaraderie and goofy craftsmanship symbology.

Does anyone have any insight on the different lodges in NYC I should check out? There are a LOT in that grand hall in Manhattan, and I’m not sure what flavors they come in.

Also, has anyone been to a clandestine lodge, accidentally or intentionally?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, has anyone been to a clandestine lodge, accidentally or intentionally?

Not from NY, cannot help you there. I have been to a clandestine lodge when a friend joined a mixed gender lodge and she asked me to be there. It is always cool to see another lodges work and some people there seems to have more problems with my presence than I did. Everything considered, I would never join one mostly for the international ties we have with recognized lodges and with clandestine lodges this is always a bit of a crapshoot.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Some of my other esoteric interests and pursuits cause me to brush up against people doing Memphis Misraim masonry sometimes. I was even given a charter actually, since my closet needed some wallpaper. But mostly I do keep a tight lip about plenty of things with them. And I have completely also met people that immediately had a chip on their shoulder towards me because I'm a regular mason.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I've never really understood the appeal of having anything to do with clandestine lodges. It's like the loyal antidiluvian order of the buffalo's, we have a lot of them round my neck of the woods and we all know they are just bootleg masons who couldn't get approved, why would you even want to join that?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

deported to Canada posted:

I've never really understood the appeal of having anything to do with clandestine lodges. It's like the loyal antidiluvian order of the buffalo's, we have a lot of them round my neck of the woods and we all know they are just bootleg masons who couldn't get approved, why would you even want to join that?

Some guys I know think the clandestine lodges have more 'pure' ritual that has not been diluted for centuries by UGLE as revenge for the moderns vs anchiens schism. These are also the guys that have very deep feelings on lots of subjects, if you get my drift.

That being said, PH masonry, at least in NY, does seem to have a lot older ritual than GLNY ritual from what I've seen.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I don't see how any clandestine lodge could claim for their ritual to be more pure, that seems like a weird thing to say, paradoxical really. They literally have been shown the door for their lack of regularity or never even ever saw the door in the first place. I suppose if you didn't know any better you might fall for the "they just hate how original and cool we are" but the slightest bit of critical thinking would be enough for most to know they are full of poo poo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dreaming of this world where there are sufficient keen bods locally to have such distinctions and arguments and schisms.

Closest exposure I've had to anything clandestine is showing a list of local orders from Google to a brother and him going 'yeah that's us, that's us, I'm in that, that's us, wtf... that's probably a bible study group, maybe?'

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

deported to Canada posted:

I don't see how any clandestine lodge could claim for their ritual to be more pure, that seems like a weird thing to say, paradoxical really. They literally have been shown the door for their lack of regularity or never even ever saw the door in the first place. I suppose if you didn't know any better you might fall for the "they just hate how original and cool we are" but the slightest bit of critical thinking would be enough for most to know they are full of poo poo.

I think it poses interesting anthropological questions, which is why i got into masonry. To regular Masons, they’re ausländers, but I wonder if they feel that way. What do they get out membership, the same things that mainstream Masons in this thread and my home lodge report (camaraderie, connection to history, charity, a feeling of belonging)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

any other (us, southern jurisdiction) scottish rite masons know wtf this is about? i just got an email reminder about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zor8zSqwoY

i can't seem to find this "statement" online anywhere.