Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Blaziken386 posted:

really hoping that nintendo store pre-orders have release-day delivery. It'd be Extremely On Brand for nintendo to be like "to prevent the slightest possibility of people breaking the street date, we're not shipping these out until after release, so you'll get it a week late."

100% expect this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've noticed that people online seem to be very convinced that Monolith will remake Xenoblade X (or make an X sequel, though I think that the chances of that happening before any sort of remake are so low that it's not worth consideration). I constantly see it mentioned under any Youtube video about Xenoblade stuff. I'd be happy if it happened, but it just seems extremely unlikely to me. Seems like a situation where people are heavily overestimating demands based off of people expressing similar opinions in internet comments, or underestimating how difficult it is to port a video game to a new console (especially one as ambitious as Xenoblade X).

Blaziken386 posted:

really hoping that nintendo store pre-orders have release-day delivery. It'd be Extremely On Brand for nintendo to be like "to prevent the slightest possibility of people breaking the street date, we're not shipping these out until after release, so you'll get it a week late."

Yeah, I was thinking about this. That'll suck if it's the case. They should automatically give you a digital version when you order a physical version or something to prevent this.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 17, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Blaziken386 posted:

I have never been more sure of anything in my entire life than this happening.

Actual competent retailers like Amazon barely even gets games to me on release date.

I'd be impressed if it was even the Monday after.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Monolith left X in such an odd place that it's hard to guess what they'd do with it. It's obviously not forgotten because Elma showed up in 2's DLC and was one of the best blades in the game. The talk about the work needed to port X might imply the devs want to tweak or add a bunch of things along the way. I enjoyed it but the game felt incomplete in a lot of ways beyond the story.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

I pre-order from some local store who in turn orders from Nintendo and they told me Nintendo usually delivers the day before release. Might be different if you're not a business though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm on chapter 8 of Xenoblade 2 now and the game really feels like someone wrote down a pretty neat idea for a general setting and story but then decided to fill in the blanks by smearing diarrhea over it.

I don't understand Pyra/Mythra's arc. It would make sense in a different story, but this is one where there's a supremely powerful, cartoonishly evil antagonist who is planning to exterminate humanity and destroy the world and she alone can stop him. What does she expect to happen without her? How can Jin have the power to control and stop lasers but also not have the power to control and stop light? Why does it matter if people find out that the king of Tantal isn't descended from Addam? Why do Mor Ardain and Uraya even want to go to war? How does the poo poo with dumping Pyra on the bottom of the ocean and just hoping that someone from Lefteria is a good person and finds her make any sense?

I am starting to dread 3. At least its protagonists seem vaguely likeable so it'll be more bearable if the plot stops making sense like 1.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 17, 2022

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pyra/Mythra are suicidal and self-sacrificing because they have trauma over what happened in the past. My superpower is greater than yours. Because the legitimacy of the royal line would evaporate. Have you somehow missed that the Titans are dying and there's less and less land, because that is Rex's motivation to find Elysium. Pyra/Mythra needed/wanted to be sealed away because she was too dangerous. The latter part was just a hopeful wish.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

turn off the TV posted:

I'm on chapter 8 of Xenoblade 2 now and the game really feels like someone wrote down a pretty neat idea for a general setting and story but then decided to fill in the blanks by smearing diarrhea over it.

I don't understand Pyra/Mythra's arc. It would make sense in a different story, but this is one where there's a supremely powerful, cartoonishly evil antagonist who is planning to exterminate humanity and destroy the world and she alone can stop him. What does she expect to happen without her? How can Jin have the power to control and stop lasers but also not have the power to control and stop light? Why does it matter if people find out that the king of Tantal isn't descended from Addam? Why do Mor Ardain and Uraya even want to go to war? How does the poo poo with dumping Pyra on the bottom of the ocean and just hoping that someone from Lefteria is a good person and finds her make any sense?

I am starting to dread 3. At least its protagonists seem vaguely likeable so it'll be more bearable if the plot stops making sense like 1.

re: Power Levels: It's like anything really, bad guys are unstoppably powerful until they're not.
re: King of Tantal: It doesn't really matter but it is very funny the direction they gave Zeke's voice actor during that scene.
re: Mor Ardain and Uraya: They're going to war over diminishing livable land.
re: Pyra's vacation home: She needed a vacation after the Aegis Wars. There wasn't really a plan, so much as a "I just need to not be here right now"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can also get additional context by playing Torna after you beat XC2

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Why does it matter if people find out that the king of Tantal isn't descended from Addam?

Is this a joke?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it really seems like you checked out of the plot from minute one and have been barely tolerating it so yeah of course none of that would make sense to you

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Monolith still has their newest teams unreleased project which has a nice teaser image of a lady on armor with a dragon

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terper posted:

Pyra/Mythra are suicidal and self-sacrificing because they have trauma over what happened in the past.

There's a scene in chapter 7 where the party is fighting and losing to Jin and Malos. She tells Rex to just let them be dead because he can reach Elysium by himself while he's on the verge of being killed by Malos. I understand that they're suicidal but that doesn't explain why she believes that things would miraculously be fine.

Terper posted:

Because the legitimacy of the royal line would evaporate.

The dude reveals all of this information in front of his soldiers and they don't give a poo poo, so why does it matter? There seems to be zero repercussion to the information getting out. It doesn't seem like there's anyone who would force him out of power.

Terper posted:

Have you somehow missed that the Titans are dying and there's less and less land, because that is Rex's motivation to find Elysium.

I don't think the game says anything about Uraya imminently dying like it does Mor Ardain, and Mor Ardain already did their imperialism with Gormott. Is Uraya also on the verge of death and it's just not depicted and mentioned elsewhere?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
powerful post and username combo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MorningMoon posted:

powerful post and username combo

Honestly that's a pretty good idea since the music is probably the game's only redeeming quality. Counterattack is a neat song.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think the game says anything about Uraya imminently dying like it does Mor Ardain, and Mor Ardain already did their imperialism with Gormott. Is Uraya also on the verge of death and it's just not depicted and mentioned elsewhere?
Uraya put 2 and 2 together, extrapolated the current trends to the future and decided that they needed to get on the imperialism wagon even if their titan still has a lot of time left because otherwise Mor Ardain would have taken all the available land mostly unopposed.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can also get additional context by playing Torna after you beat XC2

The DLC seriously sold why and how much Mythra is traumatised. It's even represented mechanically, in the DLC all her arts are giant gently caress off AoEs implying an absolute disregard towards collateral damage; meanwhile in the main game it's clear all the limitations on her level 4 special are because she's quintuple checking all the targeting data and Siren's output is at the absolute minimum it can be.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

turn off the TV posted:

Both nations have outposts on Temperantia. Jin hijacks one of Mor Ardain's Titan weapons stationed there and sets it against Urayan forces. Your party stops it, but Uraya goes, "oh the Ardainians lied about ceasing development of those weapons and just tried to surprise attack us with one. The war is on." Indol intervenes at the last moment.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

If the game's music is the only redeeming quality idk why you force yourself through it. XB2's narrative was kind of all over the place, and some parts were just silly like Jin and the elemental particle bit. I liked the battle system and roaming around the larger areas. The game was definitely a slow burner for me compared to the previous ones.

Re Tantal it's anime north korea, where the ruling line is founded on a fake story and forces its people to live in austerity. This is oversimplifying, but for actual NK there's a general belief the population would revolt if the lies and restrictions were substantially rolled back. The game follows the same logic.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Omobono posted:

Uraya put 2 and 2 together, extrapolated the current trends to the future and decided that they needed to get on the imperialism wagon even if their titan still has a lot of time left because otherwise Mor Ardain would have taken all the available land mostly unopposed.

The DLC seriously sold why and how much Mythra is traumatised. It's even represented mechanically, in the DLC all her arts are giant gently caress off AoEs implying an absolute disregard towards collateral damage; meanwhile in the main game it's clear all the limitations on her level 4 special are because she's quintuple checking all the targeting data and Siren's output is at the absolute minimum it can be.

It is a great detail that her level I, II, and III specials in XC2 are her regular Y, X, and B attacks in Torna. She's holding way back.

I do enjoy that Brighid and Aegaeon have different field skills in Torna to show that these incarnations aren't quite the same as the ones in XC2. Mythra does have the same skills except that her girl talk skill maxes at level 1 and is on the last tier of the chart because she's so much worse at talking to people.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 17, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean I checked out on their posting the minute they said 14+ classes is "not enough customization" so

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
To be fair a ton of poo poo in XC2 story IS pretty undercooked or badly told.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s fine I would put it on the same level as 1

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The bar for xenoblade 3 is almost subterranean. If you get beyond the awful visuals of XB2 you just end up with a bad story.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

XC2 looks fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9SFxZCnVHg new video I haven't seen, has a couple new music tracks in it

Mea Tulpa posted:

If the game's music is the only redeeming quality idk why you force yourself through it. XB2's narrative was kind of all over the place, and some parts were just silly like Jin and the elemental particle bit. I liked the battle system and roaming around the larger areas. The game was definitely a slow burner for me compared to the previous ones.

I don't know what they were thinking with Jin's powers. Literally every other character in the game has powers that (more or less) make sense except for him. Heck, even Malos, an Aegis, has more reasonable powers. But with Jin they go full "child playing with action figures and making up increasingly goofy powers."

leftist heap posted:

To be fair a ton of poo poo in XC2 story IS pretty undercooked or badly told.

IMO the basic "skeleton" of XC2's plot/setting is mostly good; it's just that a lot of specific plot events don't make much sense. Like Pyra/Mythra's motivation to go to Elysium is a little strange; they say it's so they can ask to die, but they're obviously capable of killing themselves if they really wanted to do that, given that Pyra directly threatens to do so and isn't bluffing.

That being said, Pyra/Mythra don't really have a reason to believe that them dying would make the difference between civilization dying or not, at least for the vast majority of the story. The only real threat to civilization as a whole is titans dying off, which Pyra/Mythra had no reason to believe they could change. Most of the story Malos is weakened to the extent that he's not any sort of civilization-ending threat, and that shows no sign of changing until immediately before Pyra/Mythra resolve their "arcs."

It's also a little goofy why Rex/Pyra/Mythra specifically are what convince Klaus that the world deserves to keep existing. There's not anything particularly profound about their relationship that couldn't also apply to many others. And the only reason human civilization was heading towards ruin was 100% Amalthus; it's not like it was the result of some sort of abstract "human evil." Like people go to war and what have you, but there wasn't really any clear sign that this was going to lead to ruin until Amalthus's core crystal "cleaning" stopped the creation of new titans. Klaus talks like the "humans destroy themselves with technology" cycle was continuing, but that wasn't even the cause of most of the problems in the story (which mostly centered around Amalthus himself, which extends to Malos).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 17, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ytlaya posted:

until Amalthus's core crystal "cleaning" stopped the creation of new titans

I never picked up on this, is it stated somewhere in the story?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i dont think its much of a hot take that most anime/jrpg stories are absolute batshit and bad when you analyze them with any real depth

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tabletops posted:

i dont think its much of a hot take that most anime/jrpg stories are absolute batshit and bad when you analyze them with any real depth

Nah, JRPGs can have silly plot lines and still be good and meaningful. XB2 just has a really bad script

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh Xenoblade 1s story is pretty nonsense if you think about it to hard.

Just you know don’t do that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zopotantor posted:

I have no idea but it's also stated on the XC2 wiki.

"His cleansing procedure seems to be the cause of death of the Titans, since it puts the Blades back to their original state and thus delays their transformation into Titans."

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Zopotantor posted:

It's not said directly in game, but Blades evolve into Titans when they gather enough "evolutionary code" in their cores, which they then spawn new life from. Since Amalthus is constantly robbing them of their evolutionary code they never get enough to evolve.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mea Tulpa posted:

I had heard and believed that X was a terrible game before I played it earlier this year, but I wound up liking it quite a bit as the story went on. I figured the same might be true with 2 since apparently the later chapters were much better. I'm close enough to the end that I figure that I might as well run through the rest of the game and the stuff that's left deals with the aspects of the setting that I think are interesting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

X stops trying to make any sense in the last chapter. It's a series tradition.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

I had heard and believed that X was a terrible game before I played it earlier this year, but I wound up liking it quite a bit as the story went on. I figured the same might be true with 2 since apparently the later chapters were much better. I'm close enough to the end that I figure that I might as well run through the rest of the game and the stuff that's left deals with the aspects of the setting that I think are interesting.

X stops trying to make any sense in the last chapter. It's a series tradition.

Many people are invested in spreading the false propaganda that Xenoblade X is bad for some reason. They are wrong and to be ignored.

But yeah the story in 2 is fairly backloaded, particularly for Rex, which is unfortunate.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chumbler posted:

Many people are invested in spreading the false propaganda that Xenoblade X is bad for some reason. They are wrong and to be ignored.

I can understand it why people wouldn't like it. The game has some incredibly janky sections, massive difficulty spikes, Black Tar and a lot of what makes the overall story enjoyable are optional side quests.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

1 and 2 have pretty good stories, I like 1 more than 2, but they're both pretty good.

X's story really does feel like a mess. Supports those rumors(? or officially confirmed on a few notes here and there) that they basically redid the whole scenario about halfway through the game. The last couple hours are kinda headscratches that make me wonder what the point of anything was because I didn't care for the one character the emotional beats were for. The mechas also don't feel good for combat that's longer than a minute compared to how complex your combos will be in the hours before you unlock them. Everything else? loving great. Those first 3 maps are incredible and I adored about 80 of the hours I spent on that game, with like 15 being absolute fun.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why even critically discuss other characters, when you have Rex’s entire “arc” of people yelling at him to care more about Pyra/Mythra even though this was never a thing he needed to work on.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My favorite bit of writing in X is in chapter 11 when they're discussing BLADE morale with Vandham and Lin is like "Gwin says that Irina has been acting so reckless to the point that he thinks she's suicidal" and that felt like an interesting character beat to explore, especially for an otherwise nothing character like Irina. It's never mentioned or acknowledged again. Or before really.

I dunno. I'm an X apologist, but any sort of remaster or remake would need to really dial up the character bits.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TurnipFritter posted:

My favorite bit of writing in X is in chapter 11 when they're discussing BLADE morale with Vandham and Lin is like "Gwin says that Irina has been acting so reckless to the point that he thinks she's suicidal" and that felt like an interesting character beat to explore, especially for an otherwise nothing character like Irina. It's never mentioned or acknowledged again. Or before really.

I dunno. I'm an X apologist, but any sort of remaster or remake would need to really dial up the character bits.

I like the woman who is distraught over her husband's death because she'll never see him again. A widowed spouse could have been used to set up some neat foreshadowing but I guess that particular writer just didn't get the memo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I always feel mixed on that because I think the main story would need a pretty big rewrite and thus a lot of new cutscenes, or the side missions would need to be rewritten to include more profound character stuff, and at that point I'd rather see all that go into an X2.

Maybe a hypothetical X Definitive Edition could have a post-game campaign, party gets locked to 4 specific characters (hell, maybe your character isn't in on it, just Elma and 3 others) and just fully deal with the ending of the game.

have H.B. show character growth by he himself buidling a small statue of Cross near the bathrooms.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Why even critically discuss other characters, when you have Rex’s entire “arc” of people yelling at him to care more about Pyra/Mythra even though this was never a thing he needed to work on.

This really bugged me. The worst was when Jin uses his ~speed of light~ to gently caress Rex up and then is like "Look at Pyra. Look at what you've done to her. You are just selfish like all other humans because you aren't capable of avoiding my bullshit unavoidable attacks."

The only aspect of this that has some validity is that Rex never really tried much to get Pyra/Mythra to open up about their history/circumstances. You see this during the scene in Fonsa Myma with the Aegis play, where Rex is just completely oblivious to the fact that Pyra might have been bothered by it. But the thing you actually see Rex get criticized for is usually "letting Pyra/Mythra get hurt in battle" which is dumb as hell (especially given they share injures).

Toad King posted:

It's not said directly in game, but Blades evolve into Titans when they gather enough "evolutionary code" in their cores, which they then spawn new life from. Since Amalthus is constantly robbing them of their evolutionary code they never get enough to evolve.

Yeah, they should have made this more clear, but it actually nicely explains a lot. It's also a nice excuse for how few unique looking Blades there are.

CharlestheHammer posted:

In general the Xenoblade games benefit heavily from being relatively character-focused, so climaxes are defined less by plot reveals and more by "dynamics between characters." The plot reveals still happen, and sometimes they can be pretty dumb, but it's not as big a deal as it would be in a game that was relying on the "mystery box" elements.