Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

put this in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Karach posted:

When the Mennonites aren't busy destroying Mexico's forests, they're commiting culinary genocide

It's cool that they took one of the five mother sauces and named it after some sex pest elder. Very on brand for a bizarre offshoot of an offshoot of an offshoot of American Christianity.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Oglethorpe posted:

475ml is 2ml too much apparently

It's 2 cups, or an american pint.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

i say swears online posted:

mennonites can make me a chicken fried steak any day

This is flavour erasure

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karach posted:

When the Mennonites aren't busy destroying Mexico's forests, they're commiting culinary genocide

a man with a chinstrap beard has...emitted some calamine lotion onto your noodles

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Too much religious discrimination itt lately. Let the mennonites/amish/doukhobors arrange pedo marriages destroy the environment with modern technology destroy the environment by making GBS threads out ten firstworlders per marriage follow their traditions that don't harm anyone

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/humanity-will-not-survive-extinction-of-most-marine-plants-and-animals/

quote:

An Edinburgh-based research team fears plankton, the tiny organisms that sustain life in our seas, has all but been wiped out after spending two years collecting water samples from the Atlantic.

The landmark research blames chemical pollution from plastics, farm fertilisers and pharmaceuticals in the water. Previously, it was thought the amount of plankton had halved since the 1940s, but the evidence gathered by the Scots suggest 90% has now vanished.

not ideal

edit: can't seem to find the report itself, and this isn't reported elsewhere so take with a grain of salt. In any case, we've killed off somewhere between 50-90% of the plankton and it will be gone in 20-25 years.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jul 17, 2022

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
like alot of places iraq has been losing water suddenly/massively lately and now
https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/13072022
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202207/1270708.shtml

quote:

Hamdani blamed Ankara for using "water waste" as a pretext for cutting Iraq's water supply, which it has done by damming key rivers that flow southward into Iraq.

Guney stated that the solution to the issue is "not to demand more water from Turkey, but to use the available water most efficiently," audaciously noting in the remarks that “investments must be made in [the water] infrastructure and Turkish companies are ready for this."

Water scarcity is a severe issue in Iraq. The country is the fifth-most vulnerable nation in the world to the effects of climate change, including water and food insecurity, according to the UN.

However, the issue is exacerbated by the Turkish and Iranian damming of rivers that flow into Iraq, cutting off the increasingly dry nation from much-needed water relief. Ankara has built a mega-dam on the Tigris River.

Much of Iraq's agricultural lands depend on irrigation, but dams and reservoirs were at record-low levels this summer.

A senior advisor at the Iraqi water resources ministry warned in April that the country's water reserves have halved since last year, due to a combination of drought, lack of rainfall, and declining water levels.

quote:

On Tuesday, Turkey's Ambassador to Iraq Ali Riza Guney sparked anger by accusing Iraqis of "squandering" water resources, calling on Twitter for "immediate measures to reduce the waste" including "the modernization of irrigation systems."

Hamdani responded that Ankara was assuming "the right to reduce Iraq's ­water quota."

Iraq has seen three years of successive droughts and has halved cultivated agricultural areas for its 42 million inhabitants. "Water reserves have dropped 60 percent compared to last year," a government official said last week, Iraq's INA news agency reported.

there's similar stuff between sudan-ethiopia over a new nile dam
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-27/sudan-s-feud-with-ethiopia-worsens-as-it-alleges-soldiers-killed
https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2022/05/sudan-ethiopia-blame-each-other-border-violations-amid-nile-dam-dispute

quote:

Ethiopia and Sudan have been locked in a decades-old dispute over the 260-square-kilometer border area of al-Fashqa, a patch of fertile agricultural borderland from which Khartoum expelled thousands of Ethiopian farmers in mid-December 2020, in an escalation that has since led to renewed clashes between the two countries.
The border dispute between Sudan and Ethiopia is fueling wider tensions in the region, even affecting the controversial Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) that Addis Ababa is building on the Blue Nile.

The downstream countries, Egypt and Sudan, fear that the dam will limit their supplies of the Nile River, on which they depend for most of their water needs.

Gebreluel sees that Addis Ababa is looking for a way to mend relations with Khartoum, but the GERD issue, as well as al-Fashqa dispute, will be difficult to overcome.

TLDR; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOqq1knVxs

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
close to ideal though! once we reach 100% we can kick back secure in the knowledge we did what primitive man could only dream of.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe we can keep plankton alive in captivity

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

elon musk will invent plankton surrogate nanobots, don't worry about it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Torpor posted:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/humanity-will-not-survive-extinction-of-most-marine-plants-and-animals/

not ideal

edit: can't seem to find the report itself, and this isn't reported elsewhere so take with a grain of salt. In any case, we've killed off somewhere between 50-90% of the plankton and it will be gone in 20-25 years.

Lol, well, good loving game. No rematch.

Upshot: They replenish quickly ...
Downside: ... but only if conditions are reverted.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Karach posted:

lol this is literally a roux gravy recipe except it leaves out the parts with actual flavor

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

river valleys are bad news, the hills and the desert are where it's at

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Thats ok. Everything's fine. Everything's ok, I'm not screaming into my pillow at this moment right now.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

antarctica is going to get whittled away by billionaires chipping off icebergs as souveneirs

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

river valleys are bad news, the hills and the desert are where it's at

good places to find interesting adaptations to the harsh conditions, like cacti clinging to sheer rocky cliff faces

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Shifty Nipples posted:

good places to find interesting adaptations to the harsh conditions, like cacti clinging to sheer rocky cliff faces
the people are always interesting too. often terrifying, but that's another adaptation to the harsh conditions

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1548639904846028800

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

here's the paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3860950

it was originally posted in 2021, claimed to be published in "ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE eJOURNAL Vol. 1, No. 28: Jun 17, 2021" which I can't find anything about online.

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1449019138941145090?s=20&t=u3pByHeEzvufFKeU_NBEOA

the authors are also consultants for waste water treatment plants and what a shocker, that's also what their #1 suggestion is about :

quote:

Dr. Howard Dryden: 40 years as marine biologist; social entrepreneur with 4 decades of industry experience in water treatment and closed loop
marine life support systems
Diane Duncan: 20 years in public sector economic development - senior roles in policy and strategy for low carbon and economic development
of environmental, clean technologies and water treatment systems
Caroline Duncan: marine biologist; environmental consultant in the engineering and water treatment sector (10 years
industry experience); MSc on photochemical toxicity on marine phytoplankton; commencing PhD in decentralised water treatment in the Canadian
High Arctic
Recommendations
1. Industrial and municipal wastewater
a) Only 20% of the world’s wastewater is treated, with a tiny percentage returned in a better condition than
when it was abstracted [56]. Governments and regulators need to bring forward infrastructure plans and
initiate ‘polluter pays’ regulation to fund effective systems and innovation to achieve zero discharge or
zero impact of the water to the receiving environment.
b) In the UK, less than 10% of municipal water treatment systems are fitted with tertiary treatment to remove
plastic or toxic chemicals, and only some of these systems are effective. For example, in England billions
of tonnes of untreated wastewater and storm water are discharged into the sea every year [57].

so they may be right, but it doesn't seem like strong science

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crop failures, here we come!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Torpor posted:

not ideal

read about this an hour ago and i don't have a lmao big enough

lol talk about self:owned:

Tzen has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Jul 18, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That tan blob in the middle is Iowa and Nebraska, with a little bit of Kansas and Missouri. Right in the breadbasket.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

maybe we can keep plankton alive in captivity

Give him the Krabby Patty already

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTz7UMg-jg&t=8s

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I saw a dolphin swimming in the water today (well, its fin) which was pretty cool, ticked off that "see it before it's gone" box hell yeah

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Jul 17, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ah, so that's what that out of place color band means.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think you will find that temperatures go up and down normally so crops are used to temperature fluctuations

and we waste 40% of our food anyway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Ah, so that's what that out of place color band means.

i wanted to share that pic but it's way too embarrassing to do so now

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

cool and normal

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Tzen posted:

read about this an hour ago and i don't have a lmao big enough

holy loving poo poo, if the plankton is gone that's Game Over :wtc:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
name one thing a plankton has ever done for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

name one thing a plankton has ever done for me

they helped feed all those whales i've eaten

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Torpor posted:

not ideal

Maybe it is this one? https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3860950

"When there are changes in ocean chemistry, the conditions may favour a new set of species - there will be winners and losers - and this happens right across the animal and plant kingdoms. More acid conditions will favour organisms like cyanobacteria, protozoa, and toxic dinoflagellate algae[22]. They will replace carbonate and silicabased plankton, resulting in not only a toxic ocean environment, but potentially a toxic atmosphere[23][24][25][26][27]."

Seems good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinoflagellate

"Dinoflagellates sometimes bloom in concentrations of more than a million cells per millilitre. Under such circumstances, they can produce toxins (generally called dinotoxins) in quantities capable of killing fish and accumulating in filter feeders such as shellfish, which in turn may be passed on to people who eat them. This phenomenon is called a red tide, from the color the bloom imparts to the water."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that figure is a great example of why the paper isn't exactly that scientifically strong.

quote:

The Yellow Line is our prediction for the increased growth of bacteria and dinoflagellates, based on (i) the IPEN (2021)
report, funded by the German and Swedish Governments (see Figure 2) and (ii) A European Commission report, which
states we will see a 40% decline of the marine environment [18]. The paper also reports an increase in bacteria and
protozoa which we are now witnessing in the Marmaris Sea [19][20][21].

that's all the explanation we get of how their "model" that they derived the yellow line comes from, it is just their expert prediction and we just have to trust it or not.

(also some of their references are blog posts.)

this is the exact kind of paper i was thinking of when i said that this thread could make its own meta-analysis paper and get traction over it

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thanks for providing that insight for those of us who are not that scientifically literate. Red tide is very much some Biblical poo poo.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Holy poo poo though it really does feel like we went from 1 to 100 this year

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

2040s: All marine life and plankton based on carbonate dissolves, along with the ross of all the whales, and fish. We now have run-away climate change and mass starvation of billions of people.

the earth has cycles! not manmade. just turn up the ac and eat something else

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Ihmemies posted:

Seems good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinoflagellate

"Dinoflagellates sometimes bloom in concentrations of more than a million cells per millilitre. Under such circumstances, they can produce toxins (generally called dinotoxins) in quantities capable of killing fish and accumulating in filter feeders such as shellfish, which in turn may be passed on to people who eat them. This phenomenon is called a red tide, from the color the bloom imparts to the water."

quote:

Some dinoflagellates also exhibit bioluminescence—primarily emitting blue-green light. Thus, some parts of the ocean light up at night giving blue-green light.
red glowing poisonous seas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if the oceans are red and poisonous at least the survivors won't nag me for not wanting to swim in it

it loving sucks and is filled with assholes

Crabs deserve to dissolve, loving jerks