Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Theris posted:

I'd count Alphinaud here too - his ARR voice fits his ARR character very well, the change came at the perfect time for him.

I consider this to be true for Minfilia and Urianger, but for ironic reasons.

'Balthier as a Shakespearean nerd' and 'the hell is that accent' were entertaining to me for exactly long enough that by the time they weren't there anymore, I was genuinely interested in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dareon posted:

More to the point, it's easy to dismiss because it's not helpful criticism. My leather choker having loose stitching that needs to be redone before it's delivered to the client? That's something I could improve upon were my stitching not a canned animation and a particle effect. My silver bar making Gigi want to commit suicide? Overdramatic and provides me no approach to improve.

e: And everyone else claiming my work is perfect is just blowing smoke up the eikon-slayer's rear end. Never mind you knew me when I was just a fresh-faced dipshit in hempen tights with a letter for your local leader clutched in one fist.

:hmmyes:
That's also a good point that I didn't consider.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hogama posted:

At the very least Beatin Mainrocquet has the courtesy to be deeply strange about wood.

... I was until now blissfully unaware that Master Beatin's last name is literally "hand-rocket".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Looking forward to the Dragoon rework. No idea what it feels like at cap but the levelling experience is bad, feels way worse than when I last played it however many years ago. Jump is especially comical having been sped up so much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I actually read ahead on a relic for once, and am about to do the Reconditioned step of the anima weapon.

Any particular recommendations on affordable stuff to trade for Crystal Sand?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the two main methods are using scrips for the blue scrip tokens or using poetics for thavnairian mist and enchanted ink.

i always went with poetics since animas are just something to do when poetics are capped and scrips are actually useful for other things.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gatherer and Crafter scrips can become Blue Scrip Tokens. Very easy to get them. If you don't have any leveled, then... I have no clue.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Regalingualius posted:

I actually read ahead on a relic for once, and am about to do the Reconditioned step of the anima weapon.

Any particular recommendations on affordable stuff to trade for Crystal Sand?

If you're not doing anything with your crafter's/gatherer's scrip, you can exchange it for tokens, which are traded in for crystal sand. Do your weekly deliveries, get awash in white scrip and spend it on blue tokens.

There was also the old trick of doing combat leves in the Hinterlands to spawn amber-encased vilekin chests. I did that back in HW, but I don't know if they ever nerfed it. As I recall, you'd start the leve, grab the chest and abandon it. It's a bit tedious, but that's the crystal sand step regardless.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

if i'm feeling particularly lazy and spicy, i buy the demimateria or primal drops from the mb, but the scrip tokens are by far the cheapest, quickest, and easiest way.

if i'm doing a lot of eureka or cc and capping poes constantly, I'll dump them into bone/shell/ore for crystal sands too (30x each for 60 sands, so 40x each for complete anima weap).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Gnossiennes posted:

if i'm doing a lot of eureka or cc and capping poes constantly, I'll dump them into bone/shell/ore for crystal sands too (30x each for 60 sands, so 40x each for complete anima weap).

If you're turning poetics into crystal sand then you want to use the Superior Enchanted Ink + Thavnairian Mist exchange, not the unidentified stuff. Ink & Mist is 225 poes/turn-in, unidentified wotsits are 450.

Scrip is the more efficient trade, but I have several hundred of all the other anime weapon mats from spare poetics at this point so I'm fine with dumping some into sand. It's that or level desynth just to see the bar go up, and I'm not that degenerate.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

lmao poo poo all those wasted poes

jk, i have mats for like two anima weaps right now, but i'm lazy about doing the fates n dungeons. the real bottleneck was me all along

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My general rule of thumb when it comes to anima weapon mats is if it can be bought for something other than poetics, buy it with the alternative currency unless you'd need to grind for it. Save the poetics for the mats that can only be bought for poetics.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

There was also the old trick of doing combat leves in the Hinterlands to spawn amber-encased vilekin chests. I did that back in HW, but I don't know if they ever nerfed it. As I recall, you'd start the leve, grab the chest and abandon it. It's a bit tedious, but that's the crystal sand step regardless.
They've never nerfed it. You'll probably burn a ton of leve allowances restarting it because the chests aren't guaranteed to spawn, but that was always true.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hogama posted:

They've never nerfed it. You'll probably burn a ton of leve allowances restarting it because the chests aren't guaranteed to spawn, but that was always true.

That's good to know. It's a bit boring to do it that way, but you can load up on ambers pretty easily if you're not using the allowances to level your DoH jobs. There isn't a new coffee cookie level is there? I haven't touched the ones in Sharlayan since I hit 90 on everything.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I turn excess poetics into Demimateria to sell since they have really quick turnaround. Other items may be more efficient but I'll take Fast Cash Now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

I turn excess poetics into Demimateria to sell since they have really quick turnaround. Other items may be more efficient but I'll take Fast Cash Now.

If you want the fastest poetics-to-cash route, go to Eulmore and buy Multifaceted Alchemics. They're 5 poetics for 50g, which is a lot more efficient than Demicrystals.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HackensackBackpack posted:

There isn't a new coffee cookie level is there? I haven't touched the ones in Sharlayan since I hit 90 on everything.

tea-making at 88 CUL is somewhat profitable in large quantities (I think when I dumped 100 leves down it last week it was something like 950k gross minus 225k mats for 725k net), but nothing like the cookies, no.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As far as the tea, goes, all the tea ingredients are trivially farmable as long as you have a botanist retainer to get the lemonettes, so it’s easy to gather everything for free and get pure profit out of it if you’re willing to throw a bit of time at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is The Striking Tree (EX) especially unpopular or am I just having bad luck, I was in queues for over thirty minutes last night and it’s not much better today

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is The Striking Tree (EX) especially unpopular or am I just having bad luck, I was in queues for over thirty minutes last night and it’s not much better today

No one does old EX trials synced via DF.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ramuh ex in particular has a reputation as being the first extreme that is truly impossible with a group of 8 randos who don't know what they're getting into

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'd do a Party Finder if you can't just find some friends. Nobody queues for it in DF, and the one time I tried it (when I was very new and didn't know any better), it was a massacre that disbanded after six or seven wipes and no progress. If you just need a first-time clear, say so in the PF description and it should work out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m mostly just clearing out my quest log so yeah may just move on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can easily solo it at like level 70 anyways. Just wait till then.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I’m mostly just clearing out my quest log so yeah may just move on.

If you're okay with doing it unsynched and you're in a goon FC, or any for that matter, someone will likely be willing to carry you through it. Even at 80 it was trivial to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For anybody past shadowbringers it, and all the other ARR Extremes, are basically a free space on the catbook

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Anything with Extreme or Savage in the name, along with Binding Coils of Bahamut, you won't realistically be able to queue with Duty Finder

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A friend on Aether who is way more gung-ho about getting their mount than I am says they get duty finder EXs about 30% of the time in Mentor Roulette and of those probably 80% are Ramuh and Thordan EX.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No one does old EX trials synced via DF besides sprouts who didn't get the memo and the hapless mentors they drag into it via Mentor Roulette.

Fixed. :sun:

I completed Ramuh EX and Titan EX via Duty Finder. The queues were long, for sure, but I think I got lucky since both times I got groups that were willing to prog through the fight together.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Khizan posted:

As far as the tea, goes, all the tea ingredients are trivially farmable as long as you have a botanist retainer to get the lemonettes, so it’s easy to gather everything for free and get pure profit out of it if you’re willing to throw a bit of time at it.

Commanding Craftsman's Draught is pretty good too and takes fewer ingredients, but you'll want a combat retainer to collect the petalouda scales.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i did not get the memo (people did not suitably explain what unsynchronized meant and I was under the impression that the ex fights were different content (like current ultimates)) so I spent like a week queuing at level for hours on end to get ifrit ex

everyone who got into the eventual trial was extremely upset with me, especially when I ended up being a major cause of at least one of the wipes because I ran off towards the edge of the arena with a marker over my head...to where the healers were hanging out, unbeknownst to me

I'm not great at dealing with unknowns, and all I knew at that point in time was "this is how you queue for things," so I did

I also tend to play late at night because I work nights, so it's not as if anyone was awake to help on discord etc etc etc

once someone showed me how to do unsynchronized stuff and what it meant, it was fine, but there is just a lot of stuff in this game that goes underexplained.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah ffxiv explains DF options exactly nowhere including the fact that options even exist. I just have a tip macro that explains it now whenever I see an obvious sprout trying to do an EX or w/e

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a source of sheet music for the various XIV songs? We’re thinking of having the quartet play something at our wedding because we’re big dumb nerds.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vermain posted:

If you want the fastest poetics-to-cash route, go to Eulmore and buy Multifaceted Alchemics. They're 5 poetics for 50g, which is a lot more efficient than Demicrystals.

32gil now, btw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Good thing to do if you're using PF to do EXs: Do it as BLU. The ARR EXs have a 100% learn rate of really powerful spells if you do them as Blue Mage, and it's super easy to find other BLUs who want to do it for that reason.

Plus any excuse to do any content as BLU rules.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloodsworn Kojin. Just got Namazu to finish off every single tribal quest, I hit rank 6 with them tomorrow.

For the Kojin quests I went into it thinking that the puppet was some sort of scam, that was quickly countered, and I appreciated the Bloodsworn capstone calling it back into question only for the Elder to say "same thing happened to me once, I believe you."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 18, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If I want to convert Poetics to gil I buy Unidentifiable Ore and use that to buy Grade 3 Thanalan topsoil to sell.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

If I want to convert Poetics to gil I buy Unidentifiable Ore and use that to buy Grade 3 Thanalan topsoil to sell.

I think this is very much a server-dependent thing. On Gilgamesh, at least, soils get undercut to hell and back because of how comparatively cheap they are to get, which means either playing along and undercutting down repeatedly or waiting an indeterminate amount of time for prices to rebound to wherever you set your soils.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

Last I checked there really is no good way, at least on Excalibur. Theres just way more people trying to unload poetics than there is demand for the stuff you can spend them on, if you have all the alt job gear you want you can just let them rot with zero guilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the markets on Excalibur are extremely cut throat and you'll frequently find people have undercut things to below trash prices. There's stuff at the high end that will move but you have to be patient.