Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Saul Kain posted:

The slave start is the tutorial.

I thought this was serious but the game says it's hard so I'm not sure if it is or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You will get a couple of swole ninjas out of the slave camp start but it is tedious as hell and you'll probably need a walkthrough/video tutorial to figure out how to max your stats and get out of there. Spawning at The Hub, immediately recruiting Hobbes and mining copper and/or fighting dust bandits is better for a new player, IMO

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just found out that you can shoot through floor grates in PZ, nice

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Welp, couldn't help myself. Between the posts in this thread and the official thread, I picked up Kenshi. Of course, now I have to wait until after work to get my rear end kicked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I added Kenshi to my wishlist because I sure don't have time play it now but I'll be sure to pick it up on sale.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kvlt! posted:

You have to really enjoy losing/messing up/getting the poo poo beaten out of you to enjoy Kenshi. You kinda have to buy into how obtuse and strange it is, and then its an experience like no other.

But if you like win conditions or making progress or are frustrated by unfair losses and just constant bad things happening then its a nightmare of a game.

Most games give you the experience of "oh no you failed, load a saved game!"

In Kenshi it's more like "Oh no you failed! GET STRONG AND GET THAT SUCKA"

Saul Kain posted:

The slave start is the tutorial.

This is no joke, it's actually one of the safest starts. You can't starve, the guards always patch your wounds so you can't really die, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain :hai:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 16, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't mean to come out totally blasting, but Kenshi feels like a game that promises some weird, janky sandbox which because of its style, really is pretty weirdly linear and limiting and relies on you just learning some flaw and exploiting it. The idea of getting your rear end kicked and becoming a Cool Punchman sounds sweet, but not if that's one of maybe two realistic paths to a "mid" game. When I look at it, it feels like it promises a sandbox but delivers only a fairly singular, weird niche experience. I get why people like games that sort of build a story and take poo poo out of their hands directly, but is there any meat to Kenshi that isn't "cheese an early game until you can jankily build an outpost?" Comparing to something like Rimworld - I can have a whole host of cool creative flavors to what's essentially the same loop. Everything I hear about Kenshi makes me think its not actually a sandbox despite the fact you can technically walk anywhere.

FWIW I bring this up because it feels very close to the idea of a game I'd love, but not quite there and its frustrating. It reminds me of old games where friends would try to hype their favorite game of the moment saying, "You can do everything from X to Y" when really, you could do either X or Y and not much else.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Is Empyrion worth going solo? With mixed recent reviews, I'm not sure about this game..

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord

Anime Store Adventure posted:

FWIW I bring this up because it feels very close to the idea of a game I'd love, but not quite there and its frustrating.
Yeah this nails my experience at 153 hours played. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but I find it mandatory to install a half dozen mods to sidestep carrying a partner with 9 ore in order to build strength, or preventiung crossbow headshots. Its tough for me to outright recommend the game to someone unless they have some high jank tolerance.

I think the two biggest things disappointments for me are that my actions appear to have consequences, but they dont seem to be conveyed in a way that seems all that engrossing? There are some very big, obvious changes which occur when certain characters are jailed or killed, but it always fell flat to me in a way that's hard to describe? The other pain point is base management. Rimworld probably spoiled me, but automating tasks with squadmates is incredibly finicky at best and its enough to make me give up on the attempt after several hours.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FWIW I bring this up because it feels very close to the idea of a game I'd love, but not quite there and its frustrating. It reminds me of old games where friends would try to hype their favorite game of the moment saying, "You can do everything from X to Y" when really, you could do either X or Y and not much else.
That was about my experience, and I've since become very wary of weird, open-ended games where "one weird trick" seems to show up in everyone's playthrough story. The grand, strange examples tend to be the main draws and little is left to sink your teeth into.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Has anyone played Conan with the new sorcery update? Does it add enough to make the game worth revisiting?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
It's in EA, but has anyone tried Sailwind, yet? Premise is you are sailing between islands plying a living by hauling cargo to trade, but you have to manage food and water as well as the sea and ocean. It's been hyped up to me from a friend who's really into sailing but I'm curious to hear goon opinions on it before I break my EA embargo to try it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Everything I've seen of it is that it's very simplistic and more about trading and profiting than survival in any form, but I imagine it would be a very mellow little experience if you're into sailing.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah I figured maybe it fits into survival in the sense that there's hunger and thirst bars and the dangers of the open sea like storms and the like. Man vs nature rather than man vs man. But on a closer look it definitely looks like the survival aspects are incidental rather than a focal point of play.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 17, 2022

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

started to think poo poo was easy in PZ once I figured a few things out, stayed alive solo for the longest I had with only some minor issues. Now I知 noticing all my perishables are starting to rot in the fridge and I知 worried the water might shut off soon, too :ohdear:

sick

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

truther posted:

Is Empyrion worth going solo? With mixed recent reviews, I'm not sure about this game..

There's some goons on a modded server or something, try googling the posts.

I had fun with it solo FWIW, it's not as grindy and PVP-focused as some other survival games.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tweak posted:

started to think poo poo was easy in PZ once I figured a few things out, stayed alive solo for the longest I had with only some minor issues. Now I知 noticing all my perishables are starting to rot in the fridge and I知 worried the water might shut off soon, too :ohdear:

sick

The early to mid game in Project Zomboid are where it's good. You start off with crappy equipment, lovely skills, in an uncleared area with few supplies and have to eke out an existence against the ever present zombie horde. You eventually get to a place where the structure you call home is at least fairly secure, you've got at least a weeks' supplies, your skills are increasing, and you're able to take on small hordes with your improved gear... but just as you're getting secure, power and water go off (unless you're unlucky and it hits day 2, lol), meaning you shift into figuring out survival while winter is slowly encroaching.

If half of what they're planning comes to fruition, they'll at least make an interesting "end" game. Which at the moment basically is nonexistent once you solve your issue of long term supply.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

chainchompz posted:

It's in EA, but has anyone tried Sailwind, yet? Premise is you are sailing between islands plying a living by hauling cargo to trade, but you have to manage food and water as well as the sea and ocean. It's been hyped up to me from a friend who's really into sailing but I'm curious to hear goon opinions on it before I break my EA embargo to try it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

Vib Rib posted:

Everything I've seen of it is that it's very simplistic and more about trading and profiting than survival in any form, but I imagine it would be a very mellow little experience if you're into sailing.

I love Boat games and "Hands on, niche simulator" games and its still tough to recommend Sailwind. It has kind of a jarring graphical style when most of the game is you staring at your boat/water, it does have some decent sailing physics, but they quickly become just sort of less exciting because there's just not that much to do. It's a decently chill experience, but honestly you're better off playing like Snowrunner or Flight Sim with a mission mod if you want a sort of freeroam vehicle game with a little bit of direction.

I really wish we could get a chunkier, more survival and navigation focused Sea of Thieves, but I think that game remains a pipe dream for me.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

truther posted:

It's a fun-time either way I find. Empyrion is like a mashup of Space Engineers (mechanics) and 7 days to die (exploration). Lots of neat places to explore and conquer, construction is more simplified than SE with no conveyors needed, and you can spawn blueprints in all at once after paying a material/time cost. The game has a heart of jank tho, so expect bugs and just occasional mechanical weirdness.

The recent mixed reviews are from how... messy they've recently made the early game in the latest big update, it's like three hours of futzing around and then it dumps you where the game used to start at lmao.

Your starting options are now four teleport linked moons that are tiny, hardly contain any POI's, have a single dungeon each, with few resources and almost no hostile presence. The quests/story only work properly on the almost -completely- empty safe moon, on all the others the terminals that tell you where to go just flat don't work properly. The current new ~dynamic~ onboarding sequence/tutorial is really buggy, half-finished, and downright broken in several places. It's the worst the opening of the game has been in awhile mechanically and it's been something they've always had trouble with. It's still a great game, but... man.

You can just run the workshop scenario Reforged Eden (Futzes with game balance) or Project Eden (doesn't futz with game balance), which I recommend anyways, which uses the old gamestarts and adds several more, as well as drastically expanding the amount of POI's and places to explore in the game. The fallout shelter start is my personal favorite, since it heavily encourages you to find and repair a broken ship to escape the nuclear winter world, tho it is quite hard with no water sources and deadly background radiation.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 17, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
How do mods work with Zomboid multiplayer? I see the host can load mods they have already downloaded when they generate a new map. Do connecting players have to have the same mods installed locally? Asking because I couldn't get a mod that shows all player locations on the map to work, and some UI-related mods I was using in single player also didn't seem to have loaded in MP. I was host.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BrianRx posted:

How do mods work with Zomboid multiplayer? I see the host can load mods they have already downloaded when they generate a new map. Do connecting players have to have the same mods installed locally? Asking because I couldn't get a mod that shows all player locations on the map to work, and some UI-related mods I was using in single player also didn't seem to have loaded in MP. I was host.

If you're using Steam Workshop mods, then you need to enable those mods in the Mods tab and in the Workshop tab when you're creating the server. Players will auto-download any mods designated in this way, and I think this is also necessary for Steam Workshop mods to work at all. If you're using mods that you installed offline (not through Steam) then players will need to download and install those mods themselves.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I really wish we could get a chunkier, more survival and navigation focused Sea of Thieves, but I think that game remains a pipe dream for me.

Yeah :smith:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

テーツ淞堕ス
Kinda surprised there is no discussion of DYSMANTLE in here (unless search is broke?)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

It's kinda like a chill arcade version of project zombied?

Playing though it on steam deck and really enjoying it. The progression path is great. You constantly work to upgrade skills/items so you can expand the map so that you can dysmantle more stuff so you can upgrade your skills/items

Has souls like bonfire/ item recovery. Chests are shared throughout all bonfire.

Just a really cool and chill game to play. Just be prepared to smash a lot of stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Kinda surprised there is no discussion of DYSMANTLE in here (unless search is broke?)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

It's kinda like a chill arcade version of project zombied?

Playing though it on steam deck and really enjoying it. The progression path is great. You constantly work to upgrade skills/items so you can expand the map so that you can dysmantle more stuff so you can upgrade your skills/items

Has souls like bonfire/ item recovery. Chests are shared throughout all bonfire.

Just a really cool and chill game to play. Just be prepared to smash a lot of stuff

Thanks for this. You said the right words. Steam deck and survival game. I just bought it and I知 gonna try it later today. Looks like there痴 and expansion coming out next month too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have some words on Dysmantle, and they're mixed. I'll sit down and write up a proper post but suffice to say it's a solid concept that eventually gets a bit too... extreme in execution. It was still worth the money I spent on it, but the amount of resources you need to harvest vs the tools you acquire is pretty ridiculous after certain point. And uh, only try to 100% it if you're really, really into that sort of thing.

Not to mention the "true" ending can't be gotten without making it the entire game without dying once. That is a long, long time, and there are a plethora of dumb ways to die.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 17, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I hate about PZ is that since the game is in isometric view if you are trying to see if there are zombies behind houses or other large objects and you can't actually see them unless you get close enough for the building to become transparent. Is there a way around this?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

If you're using Steam Workshop mods, then you need to enable those mods in the Mods tab and in the Workshop tab when you're creating the server. Players will auto-download any mods designated in this way, and I think this is also necessary for Steam Workshop mods to work at all. If you're using mods that you installed offline (not through Steam) then players will need to download and install those mods themselves.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I did that. You're saying that I need to have downloaded/enabled the mod in the workshop and also have added it to the mod list in the mods tab of the world set up options? Does the person joining need to do anything?

Big Scary Owl posted:

One thing I hate about PZ is that since the game is in isometric view if you are trying to see if there are zombies behind houses or other large objects and you can't actually see them unless you get close enough for the building to become transparent. Is there a way around this?

I would really love a skill that outlines zombies at a certain distance. Far off zombies aren't a problem but I have been bitten by ones that my character sees and reacts to but I can't locate quickly enough to evade. This is especially a pain in the woods. I get that part of the danger of certain areas is reduced visibility, but you should be able to identify whatever your character sees when they see it.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 17, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
E: nvm

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 17, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Kit posted:

I have some words on Dysmantle, and they're mixed. I'll sit down and write up a proper post but suffice to say it's a solid concept that eventually gets a bit too... extreme in execution. It was still worth the money I spent on it, but the amount of resources you need to harvest vs the tools you acquire is pretty ridiculous after certain point. And uh, only try to 100% it if you're really, really into that sort of thing.

Not to mention the "true" ending can't be gotten without making it the entire game without dying once. That is a long, long time, and there are a plethora of dumb ways to die.
I have words and they're all negative. I'm a lizard-brain level player who loves hoarding resources and seeing meters tick up and Dysmantle somehow failed to engage even me. I played too long to refund it and now it's on my Steam account like dead weight. 90% of the game is just going to be you standing against an object holding the button down to keep whacking at it and slowly collecting resources you need stupid amounts of. Somehow this is intensely unsatisfying, even to someone who enjoys resource gathering in most games. I can't fully explain it but just punching fences and chairs and barrels for hours on end is not a good gameplay loop.

More importantly the whole thing feels like a really, really tepid action RPG in execution, but then padded to hell with a really terrible resource gathering system. There is no actual survival element to this game.
You mostly go around fighting badly coded zombies and holding X or LMB against whatever resource-shaped object is nearby. There wasn't even any base building when I played (post-early access), but apparently there is now? Though looking at the update info for it, it appears "base building" is pretty much just laying down machines that turn one resource into another resources so you have to slam out a dozen or so and sit around and wait while they slowly spit out processed metal or whatever else.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

BrianRx posted:

I would really love a skill that outlines zombies at a certain distance. Far off zombies aren't a problem sees and reacts to but I can't locate quickly enough to evade. This is especially a pain in the woods. I get that part of the danger of certain areas is reduced visibility, but you should be able to identify whatever your character sees when they see it.

Yeah it's weird because the character should be seeing a zombie but because of the angle the player can't.

Unrelated, but I was doing the running charge with the spear, missed, and my character bugged and would not attack AT ALL. Luckily I managed to get away, quit, and when I came back I was able to attack again. hosed up

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I did that. You're saying that I need to have downloaded/enabled the mod in the workshop and also have added it to the mod list in the mods tab of the world set up options? Does the person joining need to do anything?

1. You as the host need to have the mod enabled in steam workshop

And then while you are creating the multiplayer server:

2. The mod needs to be enabled in the mods list in the mods tab
3. The mod needs to be enabled in the mods list in the workshop tab

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

BrianRx posted:

I would really love a skill that outlines zombies at a certain distance. Far off zombies aren't a problem but I have been bitten by ones that my character sees and reacts to but I can't locate quickly enough to evade. This is especially a pain in the woods. I get that part of the danger of certain areas is reduced visibility, but you should be able to identify whatever your character sees when they see it.

If you have a firearm (even if empty) you can aim and it値l show you the outlines for any zombies in range, if you have that option enabled.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vib Rib posted:

I have words and they're all negative. I'm a lizard-brain level player who loves hoarding resources and seeing meters tick up and Dysmantle somehow failed to engage even me. I played too long to refund it and now it's on my Steam account like dead weight. 90% of the game is just going to be you standing against an object holding the button down to keep whacking at it and slowly collecting resources you need stupid amounts of. Somehow this is intensely unsatisfying, even to someone who enjoys resource gathering in most games. I can't fully explain it but just punching fences and chairs and barrels for hours on end is not a good gameplay loop.

More importantly the whole thing feels like a really, really tepid action RPG in execution, but then padded to hell with a really terrible resource gathering system. There is no actual survival element to this game.
You mostly go around fighting badly coded zombies and holding X or LMB against whatever resource-shaped object is nearby. There wasn't even any base building when I played (post-early access), but apparently there is now? Though looking at the update info for it, it appears "base building" is pretty much just laying down machines that turn one resource into another resources so you have to slam out a dozen or so and sit around and wait while they slowly spit out processed metal or whatever else.

I have my lizard brain game moments too and Dysmantle hit it for me a bit. There's a semblance of a good game in there and a really interesting world (though the plot is arguably very... :jerkbag: ) but overall I can agree with the issues you've mentioned in the post. I certainly wouldn't 100% it, but man some of the stuff to even get to the end game was just a tad too grindy.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

1. You as the host need to have the mod enabled in steam workshop

And then while you are creating the multiplayer server:

2. The mod needs to be enabled in the mods list in the mods tab
3. The mod needs to be enabled in the mods list in the workshop tab

Thanks, I think it's number 3. For some reason, I thought it would take me to the workshop, though I hadn't thought about for what purpose.

duffmensch posted:

If you have a firearm (even if empty) you can aim and it’ll show you the outlines for any zombies in range, if you have that option enabled.

Oh cool, that's good to know. I've used melee weapons for that purpose in the woods, but enemies are a little too close at that point.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I know using a shotgun is very loud but my base got overrun and I had spare ammo so they gave me no choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDi6Sgg8zg

It's so loving satisfying

edit: Uh, is it common for roofs to have holes in them?

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 18, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If it's a slanted roof, yes. Only flat roofs are walkable, iirc

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey so, again regarding PZ, if I was to take over this house, from what some of you said, if I build a wooden fence behind the short hedge at the front (since I assume you can jump it, like with a low wall) would that mean they can't jump it and they can't attack the fence? I know they'll still be able to come in via the driveway, but this is just to create a bit of a chokepoint.

Since I might be able to start a game with a friend soon, so I might make this my base of operations. Maybe park cars next to or barricade the windows and doors, then enter upstairs. (Or get a sledge to knock out the staircase. Possibly both solutions, eventually) Then later have a bit of mostly-kinda-safe space around the house for farming, eventually. There's also a river to the north-east, so water should be OK too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

of course a vehicle doesnt shut off when you exit it and when I went back to turn it off got bitten :sigh:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Hey so, again regarding PZ, if I was to take over this house, from what some of you said, if I build a wooden fence behind the short hedge at the front (since I assume you can jump it, like with a low wall) would that mean they can't jump it and they can't attack the fence? I know they'll still be able to come in via the driveway, but this is just to create a bit of a chokepoint.

Since I might be able to start a game with a friend soon, so I might make this my base of operations. Maybe park cars next to or barricade the windows and doors, then enter upstairs. (Or get a sledge to knock out the staircase. Possibly both solutions, eventually) Then later have a bit of mostly-kinda-safe space around the house for farming, eventually. There's also a river to the north-east, so water should be OK too.

Through hedges you do this, "pushing through something" slow walk. I'm fairly certain that unfortunately wouldn't block zombies from hitting your wall.

The places I've found to enjoy which have a lot of the invincible high fence are:
- Riverside: the left bottom area of the gated community, three houses in a row are surrounded by high metal fence with only small entrance areas
- Rosewood: construction site to the left bottom of the main town is completely surrounded by high fence but has a gate which might be breakable, but has an inner high chain link fence, and there's several houses in top left of city proper surrounded by high fence
- Muldraugh: high fence community towards bottom left of the main city
- West Point: construction site on the right side of town, lots of high fence] though I've also [spoiler] gone into the local woods at the bottom of town past the warehouse and holed up in the nature picnic area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Through hedges you do this, "pushing through something" slow walk. I'm fairly certain that unfortunately wouldn't block zombies from hitting your wall.

The places I've found to enjoy which have a lot of the invincible high fence are:
- Riverside: the left bottom area of the gated community, three houses in a row are surrounded by high metal fence with only small entrance areas
- Rosewood: construction site to the left bottom of the main town is completely surrounded by high fence but has a gate which might be breakable, but has an inner high chain link fence, and there's several houses in top left of city proper surrounded by high fence
- Muldraugh: high fence community towards bottom left of the main city
- West Point: construction site on the right side of town, lots of high fence] though I've also [spoiler] gone into the local woods at the bottom of town past the warehouse and holed up in the nature picnic area

Ah, drat OK. And I assume they'd be able to attack fences from within the hedge...hm.

Also, another question - are there any mods that let you upgrade vehicles? Like, welding plates over the side windows, give your car a bullbar, etc. so that they're more survivable?