Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

Any new thoughts on the Anova Precision Oven?

Our situation:
  • Our in-wall oven is bad, awful, and also not very good. We will probably replace it but not for a couple of years.
  • We primarily will air fry, steam oven, with a bit of cupcakes and nachos every now and then
  • We could get a cheaper air fryer and keep doing the "dutch oven for oven spring" baking method, but this might be better results all around + helps with party cooking
  • I think I will sell my Joule SV and Excalibur dehydrator to defray ~$200-250 of the cost

Here's what I've found on the forums in the past, any new thoughts since then?

(nobody replied)

ATK preferred a different, non-steam "smart oven" but since we bake the steam option is important, plus their reviews are always kinda sus

I still love mine. And the wife loves it too, and she largely hates all the kitchen poo poo I buy and doesn't use it. Sounds like it'd be great for you given your circumstances/requirements.

I think that first guy with undercooked stuff should probably be using the rear element rather than the top and bottom. All the Anova baking recipes I've seen including cookies say middle element. It seems like top and bottom would make sense for what hes doing, but it's literally never what they recommend for baking out of the ten recipes or so I've seen.

I use the bottom element for low temp stuff (proofing, largely) and the middle for practically everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thinking about buying a sous vide for Prime Day but have no idea what to buy. I don't trust Amazon reviews.

Thinking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Included/dp/B07C7PW3PC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Also, maybe a silly question, but do I need to vacuum seal the bags?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kaddish posted:

Thinking about buying a sous vide for Prime Day but have no idea what to buy. I don't trust Amazon reviews.

Thinking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Included/dp/B07C7PW3PC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Also, maybe a silly question, but do I need to vacuum seal the bags?

That’s a good brand-I’ve had mine for 4 years or so?

You can use ziplock bags for most applications if you don’t have a vacuum sealer.

However, they don’t seal as well or to as high of a temperature so if you’re doing longer cooks (pulled pork/short ribs 12+ hours) or hotter cooks (vegetables to 180 degrees F), you might want a foodsaver.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bird with big dick posted:

I use the bottom element for low temp stuff (proofing, largely) and the middle for practically everything else.

Thank you for the feedback! We're really on the fence about this today vs air fryer today + steam oven in wall in about 2 years

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

nwin posted:

That’s a good brand-I’ve had mine for 4 years or so?

You can use ziplock bags for most applications if you don’t have a vacuum sealer.

However, they don’t seal as well or to as high of a temperature so if you’re doing longer cooks (pulled pork/short ribs 12+ hours) or hotter cooks (vegetables to 180 degrees F), you might want a foodsaver.

Nice, thanks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bird with big dick posted:

I still love mine. And the wife loves it too, and she largely hates all the kitchen poo poo I buy and doesn't use it. Sounds like it'd be great for you given your circumstances/requirements.

I think that first guy with undercooked stuff should probably be using the rear element rather than the top and bottom. All the Anova baking recipes I've seen including cookies say middle element. It seems like top and bottom would make sense for what hes doing, but it's literally never what they recommend for baking out of the ten recipes or so I've seen.

That was me and I was going by Anova's own user guide for adapting conventional recipes:

fwiw I've done a bunch of other stuff since and it's been more or less fine. I'll try the rear element for stuff from now on.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Anybody have a good wooden salt box they'd recommend? Looking to transition from shakers and the like to just using my hands to control the salt better.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GordonComstock posted:

Anybody have a good wooden salt box they'd recommend? Looking to transition from shakers and the like to just using my hands to control the salt better.

Amazon and Sur la Table both have a ton of options. I wound up going with a ceramic salt pig that's identical to this one but for ~$12? I think. My reasoning was that I didn't want a lid on it, that's one thing to manipulate and get dirty, plus if I ever did get it dirty I'd rather just run it through a dishwasher and not worry about it. Mine is white rather than blue, however.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

GordonComstock posted:

its not wooden but i absolutely love this guy

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

GordonComstock posted:

There is a goon that makes and sells nice salt boxes on samart but they are a few bucks more then the ones linked above.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The microwave died this morning and my gf thinks we should replace it and our old toaster oven with this Cuisinart 3-in-1 microwave/oven/air fryer. I think I’m fine with that, just wondering if any goons have experience with or opinions on this model or similar machines?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GordonComstock posted:

Emile Henry salt pig:

https://www.emilehenryusa.com/products/salt-pig

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I‘ve had this for almost 15 years and like it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can always just use a small bowl or ramekin, but I suppose that's not as fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I like it. I like reusing as much pre-existing equipment around the kitchen as possible

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I like it. I like reusing as much pre-existing equipment around the kitchen as possible
Using delitainers for everything is great but I almost accidentally put confectioner's sugar in my mapo tofu tonight instead of corn starch because I didn't check the label (I realized because when I added water to make a slurry it dissolved way too quickly though).

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
A family member got me this and I actually really like it. Flips open easily and then can be closed without much thought because of the magnet. Not sure if this is the exact one: https://www.amazon.com/Totally-Bamb...ps%2C135&sr=8-5 .

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have that exact one and i like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

Using delitainers for everything is great but I almost accidentally put confectioner's sugar in my mapo tofu tonight instead of corn starch because I didn't check the label (I realized because when I added water to make a slurry it dissolved way too quickly though).

Oh but it’s glass custard cups

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watching The Bear reminded me of the insane kitchen tape chat in this thread from a few pages back.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vegetable posted:

Watching The Bear reminded me of the insane kitchen tape chat in this thread from a few pages back.
I'm halfway through. Really good series so far.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

i have that exact one and i like it.

I also have that exact one and it's great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

What do you use saline for?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I just use one of those OXO pop top containers for salt (and panko, flour, sugar, brown sugar, dashi granules, pasta, korean red pepper flake, and instant yeast). it was part of a bundle and they all stack on each other up on a window sill above my sink.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What do you use saline for?

Cocktails, since it dissolves instantly without mixing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EDIT: nm

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Incredibly Salty Dog

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't work on a line anymore, so food can't be seasoned by my tears after chef yells at me. Saline seems like a good way to get that back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't work on a line anymore, so food can't be seasoned by my tears after chef yells at me. Saline seems like a good way to get that back.

That's actually accurate as "normal saline" as used in medicine is 0.9% salt. That 20% salt on the dropper in OP's photo reflects the dehydration and sodium heavy diet present in all kitchen staff. A true adherence to form.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is that what I should homebrew to put in my veins after a particularly nasty hangover?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is that what I should homebrew to put in my veins after a particularly nasty hangover?

The dehydration part of things is only half the story, you gotta deal with the acetaldehyde or some poo poo as well which I think these days is what they think most of the hangover symptoms are from.

Anyways.

I need a recommendation for a perfect set of measuring cups. Something stainless I guess. The plastic ones I buy just suck, the stainless ones I buy feel cheap or they have print on them instead of engraved etc.

e: just remembered I should specify that yes I know you should use weight not volume when able and no I don't buy them every week and throw them into the ocean or anything

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 20, 2022

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This is the measuring cup set I have, it's stainless and has debossed measurements - https://www.crateandbarrel.com/stainless-steel-measuring-cups-set-of-4/s606411

There's also apparently a similar set with odd sizes that I think I'll pick up :eyepop:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

This is the measuring cup set I have, it's stainless and has debossed measurements - https://www.crateandbarrel.com/stainless-steel-measuring-cups-set-of-4/s606411

There's also apparently a similar set with odd sizes that I think I'll pick up :eyepop:

Thanks, these look perfect.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Have you tested them for accuracy and if so, how'd they do?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Semi related but when I started cooking a lot of Chinese food I realized having 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons wasn't really enough unless I felt like doing washing mid prep so I bought extras of this brand and they're super sturdy you could club a small dog to death with one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DR8JZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I don't know if this affects their round measuring spoons or if they've fixed the problem in general, but for a while there was an RSVP Endurance measuring spoon that was supposed to be a 1 Tbsp measure that was actually just over 2 tsp (in other words, off by about a third). That was one of their rectangular spice measuring spoons and not a round spoon like that one, but I've been wary of RSVP Endurance measuring gear ever since.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SubG posted:

Have you tested them for accuracy and if so, how'd they do?

I never tested them when I got them :sweatdrop: I have done things like use the quarter cup to fill the one cup and it lined up. I can measure with water and weigh in grams in a few days but I'm not at home currently

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I never tested them when I got them :sweatdrop: I have done things like use the quarter cup to fill the one cup and it lined up. I can measure with water and weigh in grams in a few days but I'm not at home currently
Cool, just curious. Most random measuring cups appear to be good to +/- a couple percent, which is probably fine for most kitchen measurements.

A few years back I checked the ones I had been using for years, which were some random no-name brand that I'd picked up from a random big box store many years earlier. They were all off by like 5-10% each.

I'm currently using a set made by Norpro, but it doesn't appear to be the current version. They're bang-on accurate if you go by the English units, but have errors due to rounding in the metric measurements. So, for example, the 1 cup measuring cup says "1 cup/240 ml" and if you put it on a scale and add water it holds 236 g of water, which is 236 ml, which is the actual metric equivalent of 1 cup.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

teaspoons, tablespoons, whatever. Same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

VelociBacon posted:

The dehydration part of things is only half the story, you gotta deal with the acetaldehyde or some poo poo as well which I think these days is what they think most of the hangover symptoms are from.

Anyways.

I need a recommendation for a perfect set of measuring cups. Something stainless I guess. The plastic ones I buy just suck, the stainless ones I buy feel cheap or they have print on them instead of engraved etc.

e: just remembered I should specify that yes I know you should use weight not volume when able and no I don't buy them every week and throw them into the ocean or anything

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9MSFBZ

these are great