Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I just wanna see more cosmo the space dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well great. Now I’m gonna be sad if we don’t get Howard the Duck.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Seth Green is too busy making money laundering scheme monkey cartoons

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Kim Catrall as a space bartender doing a musical number that is somehow the best part

YYYYAAAAAASSSSSSS!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ilikedirt posted:

I just wanna see more cosmo the space dog

He's great in the recent Guardians game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just got back from L&T and my conclusion is that count me among the crowd that thinks the movie needs to cool it on the jokes. It's not that I don't think they're funny, it's just that the frequency is just non-stop. And granted, the jokes were pretty constant in Ragnarok too but I felt they really balanced the comedy and serious aspects better. Maybe (probably) it's just because Thor bounces off Loki and Hulk better than he does Jane. I think it's probably because while those two don't necessarily act as straight men, the joke with them is that they both don't actually like Thor too much, whereas Jane is so hyped about being Thor she just kinda rolls with everything even when Thor's being an rear end. Also, Korg was funny in Ragnarok but I feel like they ramped up the Korg wayyyy too much. Sometimes things are better in small doses.

Also while I really like Gorr, I kind of wish we had seen him doing some god butchering instead of just seeing some corpses and having other characters tell us how he and the Necrosword were really loving things up. Like ideally in my mind Thor would get a group from Omnipotence City to help him fight Gorr but they'd get just wrecked with only Thor & his crew escaping so we can see what a threat he is. As it stands I feel like Omnipotence City was only there for some comedy and so Valkyrie could also get a lightning based weapon that she could recall to her just like Mjolnir or Stormbreaker.

I was legit surprised with the ending because I thought Jane would get wished back by Thor but she actually died (until as other people have said she comes back as a Valkyrie when/if the plot finds it convenient and/or Portman says she wants to) and Thor adopting Gorr's kid was nice. Not as good as Thor blowing Gorr away with 2 Mjolnirs but I'll accept it.

Anyway not bad but definitely not as good as Ragnarok 7/10

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
completely off topic to what I can only assume is Love & Thunder spoilerchat buuut

sometimes ill be doing random tasks when the thought hits me:

We literally had Jude loving Law play Mar-Vell for virtually no reason:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 17, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

completely off topic to what I can only assume is Love & Thunder spoilerchat buuut

sometimes ill be doing random tasks when the thought hits me:

We literally had Jude loving Law play Mar-Vell for virtually no reason

No we didn't, that was Annette Bening

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Arist posted:

No we didn't, that was Annette Bening

I mean it's still Jude Law playing one of the most inconsequential roles I've ever seen for an Actor of that pedigree

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
how the gently caress did I forget that film?

all my lizard brain remembered was BLOCKBUSTERJUDELAWKREESKRULLWARBUTWITHATWIST (in that order)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it sucks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

He's great in the recent Guardians game.

My dog hated him and got super pissed anytime he was on screen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

My dog hated him and got super pissed anytime he was on screen

Is your dog generally against law enforcement?

All Cosmos Are Bastards

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He's a street dog so yeah he's down on authority, but he also doesn't usually like it when dogs are on TV. Cosmo in particular he really didn't like though, probably an uncanny valley thing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

I mean it's still Jude Law playing one of the most inconsequential roles I've ever seen for an Actor of that pedigree

The best part is that they set up a sequel where Carol goes back and brings down the Kree and that was like 30 years ago in universe and The Marvels is set in the "present."

At least he still has Dumbledore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After having a night to think about it, I think I like Love & Thunder a little less. It comes down to a video I watched a while back about Infinity War where the reviewer pointed out that it kind of undoes a lot of Thor's character development from Ragnarok. In Ragnarok we have the excellent "Are you the god of hammers?" scene where Thor realizes his true power and goes out and kicks some rear end (also he loses an eye which kind of makes him mirror his dad). IW then promptly gives him a new eye and a new hammer. And like, sure, Stormbreaker's cool, I'm glad to see it on screen and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Thor to have some sort of cool weapon, but then in L&T they really double down on Thor's reliance on a weapon, to the point where there's basically a love triangle between Thor, Stormbreaker, and Mjolnir. The only hammer-less thunder moments are Thor gettin' kinda mad and his eyes glow. There's that great moment where he shatters the moon (planet?) that they're all on when Gorr captures everyone, but notably that only happens the minute he touches Stormbreaker again. Like I said it really walks back all Thor's progress after Ragnarok.

Also I don't want to be "That Guy" but it's very strange that they establish that they need Stormbreaker and the Bifrost to get to the Shadow Realm but then after Stormbreaker's gone Thor and Jane both just book it to the center of the universe in no time with no problem. Like, I get it, it's comics a comic movie, but they're both (particularly Jane) moving way faster than they ever have before because the plot needs them to.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stormbreaker is acting up which is why they need the ship and goats to guide them to the shadow realm. Gorr needs it to open the gate to Eternity. And they only needed Stormbreaker to travel in large groups since it opens the Bifrost. Valkyrie says that she can use her horse to open portals but it only can take a couple of people, and that's how Thor gets there. I don't think we see Jane arrive, but since the horse isn't seen after Thor arrives, I think we can assume it left again and then Jane used it.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Codependent Poster posted:

Stormbreaker is acting up which is why they need the ship and goats to guide them to the shadow realm. Gorr needs it to open the gate to Eternity. And they only needed Stormbreaker to travel in large groups since it opens the Bifrost. Valkyrie says that she can use her horse to open portals but it only can take a couple of people, and that's how Thor gets there. I don't think we see Jane arrive, but since the horse isn't seen after Thor arrives, I think we can assume it left again and then Jane used it.

Thor uses Zeus's thunderbolt to get to Eternity, and Jane uses Valkyrie's horse.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The framing device for L&T is Korg telling the story to children. Korg probably takes some liberties in the retelling. How’d Jane get there so fast? A wizard did it, mate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't see IW backsliding on Thor as much as other fans. He's Thor, so if you ever thought he was going to be without a signature weapon for too long then I don't know what to say. He's not Storm, or Electro, he's Thor. Also Odin's point wasn't to never use a hammer/axe ever again, it's that Thor felt worthless without Mjolnir when he is still a god. Jane needs a magic hammer to be a god. Odinson does not and needed to be reminded and given a confidence boost.

Thor also wanted a weapon because why wouldn't you when going up against an incredibly powerful warrior? He saw Thanos beat up the Hulk, fists weren't gonna cut it. Lightning would help but wasn't going to be the deciding factor against a Hulk-level being in possession of one or several Infinity Stones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn't that also a thing in the comics for a period where Thor was unworthy of Mjolnir and had to use another weapon?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Everyone leaves out the part where Thor hits Hela with the biggest lightning bolt in the history of lightning bolts and it doesn't even slow her down.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sneeing Emu posted:

Thor uses Zeus's thunderbolt to get to Eternity, and Jane uses Valkyrie's horse.

Oh yeah, thanks. I knew I was misremembering something there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The issue isn’t giving Thor a new weapon, it’s that once he has it he’s the God of Axes and doesn’t appear capable of any of the cool stuff he did at the end of Ragnarok anymore. He doesn’t do anything without the axe.

I have assumed it’s because Asgard is destroyed shortly after, but it’s never been established.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't that also a thing in the comics for a period where Thor was unworthy of Mjolnir and had to use another weapon?

Yeah, he used an axe for a while and then after Mjolnir was thrown into the sun he used an assortment of other hammers that were much more breakable than Mjolnir.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 17, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The issue isn’t giving Thor a new weapon, it’s that once he has it he’s the God of Axes and doesn’t appear capable of any of the cool stuff he did at the end of Ragnarok anymore. He doesn’t do anything without the axe.

I have assumed it’s because Asgard is destroyed shortly after, but it’s never been established.

He saves the axe without the axe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With an even better weapon.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
L&T related tangent: Is Odin in Valhalla? One of the established rules is you get to go if you die in (glorious) battle. If you die of old age or sickness it's straight to Hel. But, if there's anybody who sidesteps the established rules, it's Odin. You could argue that Jane is KO'd by cancer outside of battle, but she technically died in the center of the universe, so maybe whoever judges these things couldn't see there and is giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Which brings me to my next question - Is Loki in Valhalla? Or is a Loki in Valhalla? The last time we saw Loki prime, he was killed (in battle), by Thanos, meaning that he should be eligible. OK, cool. But then we have time displaced Loki from the D+ series, who is alive, but might exist outside of the Prime MCU continuity. So are there currently 2 Loki in the MCU? One dead, but in Valhalla, the other alive and living in the TVA?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would say that yes, Odin is there, and yes, original Loki may also be there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That rule's from the actual mythology, not necessarily the Marvel space viking take on it.

In the mythology, Valhalla's whole thing is you get to hang out with Odin there. That's like its whole purpose.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They don't really clarify how it works in the movies, but it is implied that turning to magic god dust sends you there (hence Jane's acceptance as an Asgardian resulting in dust + going there).

Seems like Odin would definitely be there, but not clear if original Loki would be or not. In the comics, basically whoever Odin wants gets in, so who knows?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They don't really clarify how it works in the movies, but it is implied that turning to magic god dust sends you there (hence Jane's acceptance as an Asgardian resulting in dust + going there).

Seems like Odin would definitely be there, but not clear if original Loki would be or not. In the comics, basically whoever Odin wants gets in, so who knows?

It’s all Lokis from every time he gets killed, even the fake times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Valhalla is like any exclusive club. It's got its rules for sorting through most people but if you're tight with the owners the rules don't matter.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

live with fruit posted:

The best part is that they set up a sequel where Carol goes back and brings down the Kree and that was like 30 years ago in universe and The Marvels is set in the "present."

At least he still has Dumbledore.

On that front did they ever really explain her lack of aging or fury just straight up forgetting she existed for thirty loving years despite the fact that she literally could've steamrolled over every single avengers-level threat solo:v:?

the most reasonable explanation i can think of is spacenerd bullshit like Time Dilation

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 18, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe she travels at near light speed a lot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you can breathe in space, plow through an alien ship with no injuries, literally fly, conjure up pure energy at will, and be nearly imperious to physical harm, then "ages a little slower" or "got botox" probably aren't too unrealistic explanations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also Valkyries are supposed to take you there, but she was too busy being stabbed

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you can breathe in space, plow through an alien ship with no injuries, literally fly, conjure up pure energy at will, and be nearly imperious to physical harm, then "ages a little slower" or "got botox" probably aren't too unrealistic explanations.

drat sounds pretty op. she'd be really useful if aliens invaded new york or megalomaniacal AI were to try to take over!1!1:shepface:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
fury is just really dedicated to being Stark's babysitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

drat sounds pretty op. she'd be really useful if aliens invaded or megalomaniacal AI were to try to take over!1!1:shepface:

But, Fury was only supposed to use the beeper in a global super emergency! New York and Sokovia are just single areas and not the whole world!

I think the official explanation for New York is that the battle was over in a couple hours. For Ultron, I don't think they even bother trying to explain it. Fury was supposed to be dead at that point, so maybe he left the beeper in his locker at work at couldn't get it back until the janitor gave him his key back after Civil War?