Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A friend made a cool level for my gameplay mod MetaDoom, showcasing a lot of the features and such. It's pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when will video games stop being so red

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

verbal enema posted:

1995.:eyepop:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Max Wilco posted:

Regardless, I've got it marked as 'done' in my backlog. If I ever decide to revisit it, or I'm compelled to pick up the HD version of it or The Second Encounter, I'll probably play it on a lower difficulty. I've still got Serious Sam 2 and 3, but I don't plan on tackling those right now. From what I remember, Serious Sam 2 apparently gets pretty crazy and goofy with its presentation, while Serious Sam 3 falls into a lot of triple-A game trappings that bog it down

I feel like TSE is like Doom II in the sense that it's fundamentally another iteration of TFE but with various improvements and improved variety. The two play extremely similar, but TSE has more of everything.

SS2 seems to be one of the most divisive games in the series. Both it and SS3 (AKA "BFE") have a lot of detractors, but SS2's fans are pretty enthusiastic about the things they think it gets right. By comparison, even the people who are fine with SS3 are generally just "fine" with it.

SS4 & its standalone expansion "Siberian Mayhem" are generally improvements on SS3 in most ways: More color, more chaos, more weapons, more environments, and less creeping around in dark tunnels.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 17, 2022

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TSE is a much better experience than TFE. Also a lot longer from what I remember. I never finished them solo but they're great co-op games. SS2 and 3 were both a slog IMO, but SS3 was short enough that I ended up powering through it. The Call of Duty parody part of that game goes on way too long for its own good.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

everyone knows the sound of the best plasma rifle in the entire series

Am I the only one who doesn't like Doom 3's Plasma Rifle sound? To me it's too wimpy pew-pew as opposed to Classic Doom, where it sound like an actual lethal weapon spewing out hot death. Hell, most of Doom 3's SFX lack the sheer gravitas of Classic Doom's. They're just so perfect.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Doom 3's Plasma Rifle sound? To me it's too wimpy pew-pew as opposed to Classic Doom, where it sound like an actual lethal weapon spewing out hot death. Hell, most of Doom 3's SFX lack the sheer gravitas of Classic Doom's. They're just so perfect.

I love the reload sound, but the firing sound doesn't do anything for me, which is a pretty major ding in my book.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doom 3's pistol sound is just embarrassing

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think Serious Sam 2 is very good and fun but it's also like the longest shooter in history. It just keeps going. The attempts at humor are rough though and it's also got some odd casual racism with some of the levels which is really out of left field.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

verbal enema posted:

In fairness, the level stops being so red after the first couple minutes as soon as you get inside the titular entryway. It's a very neat level! That being said, I very pointedly have not played Doom Eternal as of yet (despite owning it for ages), but it its implementation in MetaDoom is any indication, I can kinda see why everyone hates the Marauder, based off of its appearance here. Took me ages to figure out how I was actually supposed to hurt it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

UnknownMercenary posted:

TSE is a much better experience than TFE. Also a lot longer from what I remember. I never finished them solo but they're great co-op games. SS2 and 3 were both a slog IMO, but SS3 was short enough that I ended up powering through it. The Call of Duty parody part of that game goes on way too long for its own good.

Someone mentioned co-op in a previous post, and that's something I meant to touch on. I can certainly see these games being more entertaining if you've got a couple other people with you to take on the hordes of enemies, and you'd probably blaze through the game a lot faster (dunno if having more players multiplies the enemy count, though).

That's why if I did get TSE, I'd go with the HD version on Steam. The classic version on GOG doesn't work anymore since it went through GameSpy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
For the record I was making a joke referencing the days of old when all the fps games were turbo brown

That screenshot looks sick as hell

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

A friend made a cool level for my gameplay mod MetaDoom, showcasing a lot of the features and such. It's pretty neat!

For some reason, until I saw that level release I thought Metadoom was like, a collection of useful resources for Doom modders and not a gameplay/content mod in its own right. I've believed that for years.

It's on my to-play list now, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Max Wilco posted:

That's why if I did get TSE, I'd go with the HD version on Steam. The classic version on GOG doesn't work anymore since it went through GameSpy.

I'm gonna be honest with you: Even as one of the thread's biggest Serious Sam stans, I still play the HD versions of TFE & TSE when I revisit them. You lose some of the gravity-bending arenas of TSE by playing the HD version, but it's frankly not an enormous loss in my opinion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you: Even as one of the thread's biggest Serious Sam stans, I still play the HD versions of TFE & TSE when I revisit them. You lose some of the gravity-bending arenas of TSE by playing the HD version, but it's frankly not an enormous loss in my opinion.

What exactly are the gravity parts of TSE and what were they replaced with? I’ve heard something about running around on the walls and ceiling. Was the player/enemies capable of changing planes (IE transition from floor to wall)? Were there teleporters involved? Was it just another arena with purely visual changes, or did the gravity actually affect gameplay?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

What exactly are the gravity parts of TSE and what were they replaced with? I’ve heard something about running around on the walls and ceiling. Was the player/enemies capable of changing planes (IE transition from floor to wall)? Were there teleporters involved? Was it just another arena with purely visual changes, or did the gravity actually affect gameplay?
Level designers could control what direction gravity went on a whim, so you could run up on walls or ceilings or whatever. IIRC it was only used for gimmicky secret levels. I dunno what they replaced it with in the HD version.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There were a couple of places where gravity was nonlinear, like a fight that took place on the inside of a cylinder. It was technically impressive but not very fun because the enemies were much better at maneuvering and aiming than you under those circumstances

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
PC Gamer did an article on playing Duke3D. Pretty basic, at least for us, but fun to see.

I went and finished up Duke Caribbean, so now I can say I've completed it and Duke it out in DC. I could go onto Nuclear Winter, but... why.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

catlord posted:

PC Gamer did an article on playing Duke3D. Pretty basic, at least for us, but fun to see.

I went and finished up Duke Caribbean, so now I can say I've completed it and Duke it out in DC. I could go onto Nuclear Winter, but... why.

Nuclear winter has a few fun levels, and the ending cutscene is fun enough

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
When was the last commercial Duke expansion released? Was it after 1999?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

2016, Alien World Order?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

World Tour was 2016.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is this where I can talk about how great xiii is? The original, not the crappy remaster. The cel shaded stylings were so good and the sounds of the guns being written on screen like the comic were excellent

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Is this where I can talk about how great xiii is? The original, not the crappy remaster. The cel shaded stylings were so good and the sounds of the guns being written on screen like the comic were excellent
I'd love to see it get a proper remaster with maybe some reworking of the stealth segments. 90% of it is a really fun game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love to see it get a proper remaster with maybe some reworking of the stealth segments. 90% of it is a really fun game.

Apparently they got a new team to update the remake, maybe they'll manage? The video they showed looked better, but we'll see.

Edit: Played the Duke mod Moonbase Accident, it was generally pretty solid. A more lived-in kinda spacebase than Lunar Apocalypse, like I was thinking about. New sounds for the weapons, the shrinker is replaced with a weapon that normally does loads of damage, but still shrinks battlelords so it's pretty useful.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 18, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

2016, Alien World Order?

Eh, that's not really what I meant. I meant expansion releases that were in support of the initial commercial version, and typically didn't include the base game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I beat that game multiple times cause it has some very good bits and style to it, but mein gott it was hard. Surprised Civvie or someone else hasn't done a video on it

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ilmucche posted:

I love XIII. My biggest beef with it is how weirdly balanced the enemy vs player damage is. On the easiest difficulty you can die super fast to two enemies with the most basic pistol. It feels like it wasn't playtested as much as it needed to be. But! The visual style, level variety, the guns, and oh man the MUSIC. All mint.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love XIII. My biggest beef with it is how weirdly balanced the enemy vs player damage is. On the easiest difficulty you can die super fast to two enemies with the most basic pistol. It feels like it wasn't playtested as much as it needed to be. But! The visual style, level variety, the guns, and oh man the MUSIC. All mint.

You lose iirc 9hp per shot to the pistol and the enemy AI fires fast and accurate. This is seared in my brain because as stated boy howdy do you get a lot of time to ruminate on your failures in that game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Barudak posted:

I beat that game multiple times cause it has some very good bits and style to it, but mein gott it was hard. Surprised Civvie or someone else hasn't done a video on it

I don't find it too bad outside of the canyon level where you peak your head out and get blasted by rpgs

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The boss fights are probably the worst part of XIII's combat. The canyon part rules because of the wild west vibes.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

david_a posted:

The gravity-changing fuckery was the best part of TSE IMO. I played quite a bit of multiplayer on LAN on some pretty crazy maps, like the one that took place in an Eischer painting. Or the one that was a tiny planet where you could launch yourself into actual orbit if you tried hard enough. Or the CTF map where the main play area was a mobius strip so if you jumped juuuuust right you could whip yourself to the other side of the inch-thick platform you were standing on to surprise the flag carrier (or more probably fling yourself into the abyss and die)

In SP the gravity fuckery was pretty much a fight in a cylinder and a fight on a totally vertical slab where gravity was relative down. They were cool but losing the gravity-bending multiplayer meant the Serious Engine lost me.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Started playing Amid Evil. It never really appealed to me but I got it in some bundle and being in a shooter mode I thought why not. Boy did I get hooked fast. Really like the level design, the fact that every episode introduces new enemies, (coming from Ion Fury) not absurdly hidden secrets, and most of the weapons are fun. The Axe is so chunky :black101:

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

ilmucche posted:

Oh hey, it turns out I lost my PS2 copy of this a while ago. Time to reorder...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1549382761303212033

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
John Romero is about to make you his employee.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

John Romero is about to make you his employee.

:discourse:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alright John, fine, I will promote and market your upcoming hair-based shooter

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Unreal engine 5, you say?

Spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007