Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

a lot of people hate ff8 because "oh u have to spend so much time spamming draw". no. idiot. play triple triad and turn cards into spells. moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF 8 is very like, not clear on how you’re expected to play it. I’m still not sure what the intended “legit” way even is. When I was young I would stand there for what felt like forever drawing 100s of magics. And then spam summons during bosses.

It never felt like I was doing things correctly. Then it turns out you can hilariously overpower yourself by learning all the refine techniques and turning enemies into cards and turning cards into items and turning items into really powerful spells in abundance.

That also feels completely wrong, but is infinitely more fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FF8 is charmingly busted on many levels

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Flubby posted:

FF8 was thumb destroying for me because my tactic was to summon over and over again, and FF8 summons had a Boost feature where you tap a button as fast as you can to make the summon stronger. Just an excuse to have something to "do" during the unskippable cutscene, but are compelled to because of course you want it stronger. This was how I played because I was having a hard time because I was dumb and didn't get the junction system. Had no idea you could break the games difficulty with it.

Turbo controller FTW.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm hovering on impulse buying Bayonetta 2. Thread, convince me why this is a good/bad idea!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 17, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Read After Burning posted:

I'm hovering on impulse buying Bayonetta 2. Thread, convince me why this is a good/bad idea!

Buy a physical copy, just in case you don't think it's worth a second play through

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Read After Burning posted:

Here's one reason not to wait: It'll never go on sale (not including the one day it was off for 5 dollars at Target)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is it worth playing bayo 1 or just jumping into 2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bayo 1 is the better game overall

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

bayos hair is better in 2 imo

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Bayo 2 is better than 1 due to the fact they changed the colour palette and removed the emphasis on insta fail QTEs which was the style at the time in gaming unfortunately. They each have their own minor issues once you start pushing for medals on hard and platinum modes but if you’re just gonna romp through on easy or normal they are definitely worth playing consecutively as they’re very stylish character action games with wild set pieces and bosses.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

bayo 1 is the better game overall

Hard disagree, but they're both a great experience.

If it matters, the story in 2 isn't nearly as bombastic and it does rely pretty heavily on 1.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Booky posted:

bayos hair is better in 2 imo

God i love that loving pixie cut and hipster glasses combo :swoon:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Runa posted:

FF8 is charmingly busted on many levels

It really is. And like good on them trying such ambitious mechanics. 7 was just a refined version of 6 and 9... the idea behind 9 is better implemented elsewhere (Tactics Advance for example), but tying skills to items is actually super lovely.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bayos design in 3 is a definite downgrade. hopefully the real Bayonetta is still stylin if that is indeed the premise

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have played a ton of Pokemon Puzzle League this weekend. Not a game I would have bought so a W for the subscription format, I guess.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

This bayo is baller as gently caress tho

Hope we get to collect outfits

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 18, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

The bayo is baller as gently caress tho

drat, God Empress of the Imperium got it going on, if I i say so myself.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Captain marvel

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

bushisms.txt posted:

The esrb rating mentions downloadable content so I’m kinda nervous about this

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Cause of all the discussion I bought the Bayo combo pack a couple days ago. Played through 1 and about halfway through 2. Can recommend playing them both on whatever difficulty level you enjoy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I dropped off of Bayo 1 way back when it was on the 360. Granted it was a rental anyway but i stopped before the return date. I do like action games (Played an excess of Nioh 2 and monster hunter games). Is there a reason to go and try and BEAT Bayonetta 1? Or does 2 work standalone?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well they pack the entire story to Bayo 1 into like 1.5 hrs of cut scenes at the end if you care about the story at all.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The story is kinda important but it can also be entirely tuned out. You do miss out on the charm of the returning characters as well as a pretty big cameo from the final boss of the first game but it’s also possible that none of this will affect your enjoyment of the game.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Play both Bayos, c’mon people.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What's the best Vampire Survivors-like on da switch?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm in love with OlliOlli World. Anyone pick up the new dlc?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

This bayo is baller as gently caress tho

its like an evil episode 1 padme look

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Barreft posted:

Deathstate. Older but in the same spirit as Survivors. Has never ever gone on sale for whatever reason.
Relic Hunters has couch co-op. There's a few arena shooters around.
Nuclear Throne is always great, too.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 18, 2022

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Has anyone tried one of those things that wraps around your neck and holds your phone in front of your face, for the switch?

I got an 18 hour flight, and I just want to lean back like fat joe, and play with my pro controller.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ChocNitty posted:

Has anyone tried one of those things that wraps around your neck and holds your phone in front of your face, for the switch?

I got an 18 hour flight, and I just want to lean back like fat joe, and play with my pro controller.
No but there was a Labo thing that held your Switch tablet in front of your face like a VR headset.

Haven't tried that either, but it probably works better than trying to kludge a phone holder into working for a Switch.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Play both Bayos, c’mon people.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barreft posted:

I think you still want to look for "twin stick (shooters)". The ones more like VS are going to be on PC for a while, since those are about early access releases with frequent small updates.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just to make sure, if I got a new micro sd card I can just turn off the Switch, pop it in, and start redownloading my games with no hiccups since the save data should be in the system storage, right?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I think you still want to look for "twin stick (shooters)". The ones more like VS are going to be on PC for a while, since those are about early access releases with frequent small updates.

I think the top of the for those are going to be
Binding of Isaac
Enter the Gungeon
Nuclear Throne

In that order by general consensus, but tastes may vary. The Switch ports for all three I think are pretty good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Last Celebration posted:

Just to make sure, if I got a new micro sd card I can just turn off the Switch, pop it in, and start redownloading my games with no hiccups since the save data should be in the system storage, right?
At the very least if you have the online sub you have cloud saves. I recently upgraded uSD cards and every game I tried had no problems with Dave data, both digital and physical, but I have an online sub.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Last Celebration posted:

Correct but also check settings and move your screenshots and videos to the Switch memory before swapping if they're on the SD card.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Binding of Isaac
Enter the Gungeon
Nuclear Throne

In that order by general consensus, but tastes may vary. The Switch ports for all three I think are pretty good.

If you use a mouse and keyboard, reverse the order, but I agree. Hades should probably be the fourth one, just stick it in where one prefers.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 18, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

man nurse posted:

FF 8 is very like, not clear on how you’re expected to play it.

Very true. When I played it 20 years after the first playthrough I've discovered that the obvious way to play (spam GFs and Draw everything till you have 100 magic) is also a trap. It is the developer's fault, of course, the fun way to play shouldn't be hidden behind a boring but effective one. They should've added a giant "CRAFTING" option in the menu instead of hiding the real way to get magic in GF abilities screen. The right way to play is hidden behind optional GF skills, and the player is expected to research those skills that aren't described well instead of going for stuff like +20% HP. There's also the level scaling meaning that if you try to make the game easier by doing grinding you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bug Squash posted:

Binding of Isaac
Enter the Gungeon
Nuclear Throne

None of these are at all an automated bullet hell

Barreft posted:

Best bet is probably to play the game Vampire Survivors was inspired by and just play Magic Survivors on a phone