Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I appreciate what you're trying to do here wrt to models SirPablo, but really we just enjoy shitposting extreme runs from twitter and thinking, "huh that would be crazy" and then waiting a week to see if some weather person on twitter tells it's actually going to happen.

Simple pleasures, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how do you gently caress up building a bridge such that you need to insulate it when it's 100 out

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i imagine a lot of stuff just straight up breaks when things get 10c hotter than they've ever been before

the train system here shits out pretty reliably whenever it goes over 40, and we usually get a few of those every summer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hifi posted:

how do you gently caress up building a bridge such that you need to insulate it when it's 100 out

the pedof isles have other priorities

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

You build it in a stable climate that now no longer exists

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They started building it in the late 1820s op. It was shut down to cars in 2019, shut down to cars and pedestrians in 2020, and resumed limited use last year (cracks in it)

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

hifi posted:

Perhaps, for some weird reason, it just happens to be that it hasn't been that hot their since the last ice age began

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hifi posted:

It’s already cracked, and uneven expansion is expected to make it worse.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Its metal which melts at thousands of degrees

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They started building it in the late 1820s op. It was shut down to cars in 2019, shut down to cars and pedestrians in 2020, and resumed limited use last year (cracks in it)

These failing bridges sound a lot like failing models

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

Its metal which melts at thousands of degrees

sunshine can't melt iron bridges

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They made the metal out of jet fuel :ignorance:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/willnorman/status/1548547271725240323

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've gone to bed with an ice pack but I'm still dripping sweat and unable to sleep, unlike the loving fly that's made itself at home with all the open windows :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If only there were some sort of device that could be installed in windows that screened the entry of pests like flies yet permitted the passage of air.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've never understood why British homes don't have flyscreens as standard considering how useful they are and how many flying insects there are there.

Anyway I find it deeply amusing* that England and Australia have decide to have a climate swap this year.

*not actually funny amusing, more horrified amusing

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I want to make fun of all these UK posts about it being a summer day in the American Midwest, but then I remembered the summer I spent living in Boston, which tries to emulate these conditions by believing air conditioning to be sinful and against Calvinist thrift, that 50 amp electrical service is perfectly reasonable for a 2 bedroom dwelling, since each of the 5 rooms need only have one duplex outlet each, and that brick is the One True Construction Material.

So you have my condolences.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Enfys posted:

I've gone to bed with an ice pack but I'm still dripping sweat and unable to sleep, unlike the loving fly that's made itself at home with all the open windows :argh:

a nation that knows neither air conditioning nor window screens once ruled the world.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Real hurthling! posted:

a nation that knows neither air conditioning nor window screens once ruled the world.

I literally bought flyscreens but forgot to fix them tonight lmao. Temps rose to 28C indoors. Going to drink it off and go to bed ringing wet after a cold shower.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
can your models predict ninja turtles?

https://twitter.com/nwsspc/status/1548707704876589063

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

School Nickname posted:

I literally bought flyscreens but forgot to fix them tonight lmao. Temps rose to 28C indoors. Going to drink it off and go to bed ringing wet after a cold shower.

wet a towel with cold water, wring it out and lie under that to sleep, put another one in the freezer for later
if you have a fan going drape a damp towel over that too, it'll raise the humidity which will help cool the air

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

School Nickname posted:

whats room temperature, like 25?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

actionjackson posted:

is it still going to be 40+ in parts of england tomorrow?
i’m personally expecting it to max out at 39.5C to allow for maximum boomer smugness. “see, everyone was prophesising doom of over 40, we’re fine”

pffff hahahaa what a dumb loving reality

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

like 20, 21C

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

air conditioning is a great trick while it lasts
everyone just needs to lose enough weight that 85 with zero humidity doesn't make us sweat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

air conditioning is a great trick while it lasts
everyone just needs to lose enough weight that 85 with zero humidity doesn't make us sweat

85 and 0 humidity is great. outdoors and moving around you are comfortable and inside you can have the swamp cooler blowing, i dunno, 60 degree air probably.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Multistage swamp cooler

:chaostrump:

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Mola Yam posted:

i imagine a lot of stuff just straight up breaks when things get 10c hotter than they've ever been before

the train system here shits out pretty reliably whenever it goes over 40, and we usually get a few of those every summer

It's this. Because of the way materials shrink when it's cold, and expand when it's hot, you plan for the climate you're in, and everything goes to hell when you have sudden changes.

Should the expansion joints on your concrete highway/ bridge/ railroad be a quarter of an inch? Half? One full inch? It depends on how hot or cold you expect it to get. Choose wrong and things will buckle. Infrastructure that was built for cold weather and mild summers won't tolerate this heat.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

london might be the hottest city on earth tomorrow :stare: :stare: :stare:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Space Jam posted:

huh

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_6e5IaQXM

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Space Jam posted:

lol no

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Helith posted:

wet a towel with cold water, wring it out and lie under that to sleep, put another one in the freezer for later
if you have a fan going drape a damp towel over that too, it'll raise the humidity which will help cool the air

Freezer towels are great. Make sure you're cooling down areas near arteries to cool down best: armpit, groin, neck

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Space Jam posted:

It won't be the hottest city in Europe idt

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

ah i guess the BBC is wrong then

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Rail lines where I am tend to buckle or get closed at around 45C. Sometimes a long run of 40C days will do it

Real hurthling! posted:

Room temperature is defined as 20-25 yeah.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
sir pablo you are being the neil degrasse tyson of this thread

just let us freak out and have fun

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
weather is going to kill us. weather is going to kill you and your family. it's doing it NOW

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I like a countervailing force. SirPablo, sir, goon sir, keep being cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

london is going to spontaneously combust tomorrow