Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

that there is a Raubahn in XI who is a bad guy (and also a Blue Mage?)
Another nod to this connection is that Raubahn's sword in XIV is a high level BLU sword in XI (though not the sword that XI Raubahn carries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

hexwren posted:

There are a few characters in this game that every time I look at them, I feel like we're suddenly in a Stephen Cannell/Donald Bellisario/Glen Larson TV show and this side character David Hasselhoff/Scott Bakula/whoever is suddenly being introduced to is being played by the pop star of the week. I quickly photoshopped this around the time I came through this part of the MSQ

because just look at the guy, it's him

THAT'S who he looks like!! I knew there was something creepily familiar about Hancock that I couldn't pin. (XTC fan here, ahoy)

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
The other, more terminally online comparison I’ve seen for Hancock is Dave Strider.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I can't unsee Hancock as Matt Murdock/Daredevil.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ran Rannerson posted:

The other, more terminally online comparison I’ve seen for Hancock is Dave Strider.

It's the weirdly anachronistic sunglasses. Nobody else has glasses like that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

YggiDee posted:

It's the weirdly anachronistic sunglasses. Nobody else has glasses like that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Godbert is beyond petty concerns like that
(also I forgot)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

https://twitter.com/SanguiniaLP/status/1548844532594184198

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh did you server transfer? if so congrats on being on excal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Time to wait for 68 other LP fans to stop on by

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hancock's sunglasses are great and very important to me because those are the only kind of sunglasses that make any sense on hroth bc of how ears work

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Valentin posted:

hancock's sunglasses are great and very important to me because those are the only kind of sunglasses that make any sense on hroth bc of how ears work

Pince-nez are the only glasses that don't require magic (or tape) on Miqo'te or Viera too

How do the glasses stay on the face???

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 18, 2022

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
You concentrate aether into the bridge of your nose and other wizard did it shenanigans

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FuturePastNow posted:

Pince-nez are the only glasses that don't require magic (or tape) on Miqo'te or Viera too

They hug tightly against the side of the head and the nose pinches just like a traditional pince-nez.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're suspended by fishing line to fine to render on current systems.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wonder what glasses designed to fit on Miqo or Viera would look like

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46PO_LfRXc

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

FuturePastNow posted:

My solution is "have a hairstyle where the arms are clearly attached to the hair, and this is fine because those braids are like an inch wide", personally. :v:

I think if they actually made glasses specifically for mi'qo/viera, though, they'd be pince-nez or just prescription goggles.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

Triumph loving slaps.

I've heard some say that the Stormblood musical motif is overused. I heartily disagree.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

I've heard some say that the Stormblood musical motif is overused. I heartily disagree.

Triumph is good, it's every other instance of the Reach and Kugane leitmotifs that start to wear after a while.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I found the daytime Kugane theme kinda distracting for a bit, with the quivering flutes (or whatever the effect is called.) Of course a lot of the base city themes (Limsa Lominsa esp.) also go similarly ham but it was like “Guys I’m just trying to do a jumping puzzle here.”

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Triumph is good, it's every other instance of the Reach and Kugane leitmotifs that start to wear after a while.

yeah, one of the most welcome changes come Shadowbringers is that they deliberately spread the leitmotifs out a little more; Stormblood has a great theme, but you are going to be hearing the same riffs on it for a very long time

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Eh, personally it's a wash after that one patch, but we're a long ways off still.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, one of the most welcome changes come Shadowbringers is that they deliberately spread the leitmotifs out a little more; Stormblood has a great theme, but you are going to be hearing the same riffs on it for a very long time

Yeah, it kinda made me sick of that tune after a while. The HW one is all over the place too, but it's less noticeable for whatever reason.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I mean, I do feel like HW also pulls from more varied leitmotifs than SB for whatever reason. You have the trailer song Heavensward that has various distinct parts to it that get used in different melodies throughout the expac, and then there’s also Dragonsong which is used as a leitmotif in its own right. But ultimately there’s more musical spread to both songs in terms of what portions get worked into different leitmotifs, whereas the specific STORM OF BLOOD BORN OF BLOOD OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS part of the trailer song and The Measure of Our Reach end up doing pretty much all the heavy lifting in Stormblood. Which is weird because there’s yet another song they could draw from, but I think it’s only used for one specific cutscene track?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It might just be that Looping in the Deepest Fringes and Triumph really get that refrain hammered in, but Soken's pretty consistent with the motifs - Reach was most prominent in Rhalgr's Reach and Storm of Blood has only really come up in Kugane outside of combat so far. Triumph has a blend of both songs. I like Looping more than Melt but it probably could have worked without the motif in it, too.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

I almost bought these back in the early aughts

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ran Rannerson posted:

I mean, I do feel like HW also pulls from more varied leitmotifs than SB for whatever reason. You have the trailer song Heavensward that has various distinct parts to it that get used in different melodies throughout the expac, and then there’s also Dragonsong which is used as a leitmotif in its own right. But ultimately there’s more musical spread to both songs in terms of what portions get worked into different leitmotifs, whereas the specific STORM OF BLOOD BORN OF BLOOD OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS part of the trailer song and The Measure of Our Reach end up doing pretty much all the heavy lifting in Stormblood. Which is weird because there’s yet another song they could draw from, but I think it’s only used for one specific cutscene track?

I can deal with the far east theme because there's enough to it to have different versions. The Kugane music is the kind of big sweeping piece that IMO Soken is good at (certainly more than the Uematsu remixes he tries.) I just can't deal with the Ala Migho music because it sounds just close enough to a number of real-world national anthems that everytime I hear it I have to have that "I Can't Believe It's Not Canaustralia" moment.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Wait you mean I'm NOT supposed to mentally insert "Advance Australia Fair~" every time I finish a quest?!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

meteor9 posted:

Wait you mean I'm NOT supposed to mentally insert "Advance Australia Fair~" every time I finish a quest?!

Well poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

meteor9 posted:

:shittypop:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

meteor9 posted:

Better than what *I* always hear...

The Fabric of our liiiiveesss~

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
my roommate said it always sounded like I was hitting a soap opera cliff hanger

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

To be Continued...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I can deal with the far east theme because there's enough to it to have different versions. The Kugane music is the kind of big sweeping piece that IMO Soken is good at (certainly more than the Uematsu remixes he tries.) I just can't deal with the Ala Migho music because it sounds just close enough to a number of real-world national anthems that everytime I hear it I have to have that "I Can't Believe It's Not Canaustralia" moment.

There's part of it that always specifically reminds me of this one passage from Spamalot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPwun3vp8Wo&t=111s

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Can confirm. I hear the Ala Mhigo music and go "yeah that's just America the Beautiful"

"From sea to shi-ning sea~"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's part of it that always specifically reminds me of this one passage from Spamalot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPwun3vp8Wo&t=111s

I thought it was just me. My brain always does the swerve.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Just a note, the next chapter is almost ready. Ironically this time I was more delayed by the fact that I felt compelled to do a bunch of research than the fact that School restarted this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sanguinia posted:

While you were posting on SomethingAwful, I was studying the blade.