Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What year was this supposed to take place? If Goose kid was like 5 in 1986 he’d be in his 40s present day.

Also he should of been restoring a F6F or something instead of a p-51 but I’m sure that was an easier plane to actually get.

Anyways. It was fun but blah.

E: also my theory is he died when his test plane blew up and the rest of the movie is his version of heaven or a death fever dream.

Everything goes right, he out-files pilots 40 years younger the him, has one last mission where he saves the day, he makes amends with his best friends kid, and gets to go ballistic with Peggy Benjamin again.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's Tom Cruise's Plane

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The original Top Gun took place vaguely in the late 80s and this one takes place vaguely in the late 2010s, Rooster is vaguely 30. Don't think about it too much.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Tom Cruise's Plane

Yeah, but a Corsair would be more appropriate and sexier.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

tactlessbastard posted:

An Grumman F4F Wildcat or F6F Hellcat would have been more appropriate for a former F-14 Tomcat pilot.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
I do love that Mav's hangar home is just stuffed with cool poo poo that presumably Tom Cruise owns. Just sitting in the background is an Aston Martin DBR1, a 50s race car worth 20+ mill. Although I guess you could make an argument that it's a replica that Mav built. Similarly, maybe he rescued the P-51 from the scrap heap and restored it. It kinda works with the character, outside of work he is lonely and focuses all his free time on building speed machines.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cataffy posted:

I do love that Mav's hangar home is just stuffed with cool poo poo that presumably Tom Cruise owns. Just sitting in the background is an Aston Martin DBR1, a 50s race car worth 20+ mill. Although I guess you could make an argument that it's a replica that Mav built. Similarly, maybe he rescued the P-51 from the scrap heap and restored it. It kinda works with the character, outside of work he is lonely and focuses all his free time on building speed machines.

"I have the need, the need for speed!" as a cry for help, not a statement. That's interesting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Saw this again last night and am now just reading about it endlessly. Apparently they built a full size mockup of the Darkstar that was so realistic, China repositioned spy satellites to get a look at it. And the scene where it flies over Ed Harris and pulls the roof off a guard shed was done for real and it destroying the set was not intentional lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbBh2CxUOw

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mantis42 posted:

The original Top Gun took place vaguely in the late 80s and this one takes place vaguely in the late 2010s, Rooster is vaguely 30. Don't think about it too much.

But how will I update the TG wikia

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

All due respect to the ending dogfights, but Mavericks trench run has to be the best part of the movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

tactlessbastard posted:

A Corsair wouldn't be all that much more appropriate. They were rarely used on carriers because of how difficult to land they were, so they're really more a Marine thing than a Navy thing. And as Scuffy_1989, one of the Grumman -Cat ancestors would be the best choice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

PeterWeller posted:

A Corsair wouldn't be all that much more appropriate. They were rarely used on carriers because of how difficult to land they were, so they're really more a Marine thing than a Navy thing. And as Scuffy_1989, one of the Grumman -Cat ancestors would be the best choice.

Aren’t Marines Navy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, don't say that around them if you know what's good for you

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

They still have to learn to land on carriers though

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Gaius Marius posted:

No, don't say that around them if you know what's good for you

I mean, they are. But I hear your point. My grandfather was a drill Seargent at Parris Island and he definitely made the distinction very clear.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 18, 2022

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

davecrazy posted:

What year was this supposed to take place? If Goose kid was like 5 in 1986 he’d be in his 40s present day.

I believe you can see he has 2020 tags on his bike

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, remember that the movie was supposed to come out in 2020 but kept getting delayed because of COVID (and Cruise wouldn't allow them to dump it to Paramount+).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

Yeah, remember that the movie was supposed to come out in 2020 but kept getting delayed because of COVID (and Cruise wouldn't allow them to dump it to Paramount+).
$1.23 billion and rising worldwide suggests any execs who tried to do so should either be sending Cruise some really big gift baskets in thanks, or looking for new jobs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

They still have to learn to land on carriers though

Yeah, sure. My point isn't that Marines never fly from carriers or that Corsairs never flew from carriers, though the latter was rare. It's that a Naval aviator who spent his life taking off from aircraft carriers wouldn't necessarily be drawn to a fighter plane that was mainly flown by Marines from land bases.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I think the best in-universe explanation is that Maverick just inherited the plane from his dad or grandfather and thus didn't actually get to choose one that would be more professionally relevant. It's probably the only situation (besides obscene family wealth that is never mentioned) that would explain how he came to own a multi-million dollar aircraft.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No way, he clearly stole it. Ole Maverick and his plane stealing shenanigans. Gotta keep an extra eye on that one at any flight museum or air show.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

is the character of maverick based on john mccain? naval pilot, called a maverick, likes to bomb iran, crashes several planes, etc

Burns
May 10, 2008

I did appreciate Chekov's Gun reference early in the film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was adorable Tom Cruise could finally stand eye to eye with his costar in a wide shot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

davecrazy posted:

They do mention that Maverick caused his career to be delayed by pulling his application to the Naval Academy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

is the character of maverick based on john mccain? naval pilot, called a maverick, likes to bomb iran, crashes several planes, etc

No. You can tell by the way the Maverick character can raise his hands above his shoulders.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TraderStav posted:

I mean, they are. But I hear your point. My grandfather was a drill Seargent at Parris Island and he definitely made the distinction very clear.

Drill instructor. The Army has Drill Sergeants.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

just watched this movie and my only take is this

hell yeah

in addition...

gently caress yes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When's this going on streaming

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never Hopefully

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if it streamed on flights .

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Stairmaster posted:

When's this going on streaming

I keep reading that Cruise demanded a 120-day window so streaming/physical media won't be available until September-ish. I hope they release it back to IMAX one more time before that because I'd really like to see it in that format.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just really love the Darkstar sequence, from "They want Mach 10?", to the control room, to the sonic boom, but especially when you see it moving through the sky against the backdrop of clouds. It's just perfect.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
"Where am I?"

"Earth"

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

TG:Maverick is accused of ripping of Iron Eagle II, but I had know idea how deep that went:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah, HBO just added Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux to their streaming app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih78dz2XyLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7HtPMW2tzc

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Saw this again last night and am now just reading about it endlessly. Apparently they built a full size mockup of the Darkstar that was so realistic, China repositioned spy satellites to get a look at it.

Lol they could have just bought a model kit from the 80s, Darkstar is pretty much an F-22-ified version of the Testors F-19

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Why the loving gently caress is something awful praising this poo poo movie? Literally ALL OF THE ENEMY SOLDIERS ARE FACELESS. AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE LIVES, FAMILIES, OR LOVED ONES. but OUR soldiers (read:amercians) in this movie have them. Why? Because "the enemy aren't people". But functionally, the plot is NOT IN ANY WAY DIFFERENT from Triumph Of The Will or Birth Of An Nation. "The enemy doesn't have remorse, emotions, or logic, therefore they must die." That is word by word the fascist handbook. Just because they don't say "it's brown people" doesn't mean it isn't still an racist, fascist, sexist movie that isn't any different from something hitler would've made if given a film crew.

And a good chunk of the money given to this movie will be given to the scientologists who make sure their detractors "disappear", fact.

sa, if you WANT people to stop loving voting in manchin's and trumps, then stop loving rewarding hollywood and start loving donating to your local loving antifa instead. It would do better to saving our skins from WW3 than watching some dumb loving tom cruise flick.

You guys don't pull loving punches when hating on superheroes? Why is a loving flighter jet any different? Because there's only been 1 flighter jet movie in the last decade instead of 30? Who gives a poo poo. Jets are enemies of peace. Treat them like poo poo like you would treat nukes like poo poo. Just because guns and punches and kicks are more popular in movies these days doesn't make it original or an triumph of "originality".

No one's made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers and Nukes to kill brown (or maybe asian, considering people don't realize that Iran DOES in fact have snow. Look it up.) people in the last few decades, either. But we aren't rooting for that to make a come back, are we?

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 27, 2022

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Sirotan posted:

Saw this again last night and am now just reading about it endlessly. Apparently they built a full size mockup of the Darkstar that was so realistic, China repositioned spy satellites to get a look at it. And the scene where it flies over Ed Harris and pulls the roof off a guard shed was done for real and it destroying the set was not intentional lmao.

That set could've been the site of an hospital for children instead and you guys are celebrating the fact China freaked out over it.

No, I am not excited for the fact that America's relations with an blood-thirsty, fake-communist dictatorship that is currently in the early phases of a retake of the Holocaust is so bad that they legitimately think a movie set is a staging area for a violent war crime factory. I do not want to fight in a loving third world war, and I don't want to loving get nuked. So hollywood, loving stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the loving gently caress is something awful praising this poo poo movie? Literally ALL OF THE ENEMY SOLDIERS ARE FACELESS. AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE LIVES, FAMILIES, OR LOVED ONES. but OUR soldiers (read:amercians) in this movie have them. Why? Because "the enemy aren't people". But functionally, the plot is NOT IN ANY WAY DIFFERENT from Triumph Of The Will or Birth Of An Nation. "The enemy doesn't have remorse, emotions, or logic, therefore they must die." That is word by word the fascist handbook. Just because they don't say "it's brown people" doesn't mean it isn't still an racist, fascist, sexist movie that isn't any different from something hitler would've made if given a film crew.

And a good chunk of the money given to this movie will be given to the scientologists who make sure their detractors "disappear", fact.

sa, if you WANT people to stop loving voting in manchin's and trumps, then stop loving rewarding hollywood and start loving donating to your local loving antifa instead. Fact.

You guys don't pull loving punches when hating on superheroes? Why is a loving flighter jet any different? Because there's only been 1 flighter jet movie in the last decade instead of 30? Who gives a poo poo. Jets are enemies of peace. Treat them like poo poo like you would treat nukes like poo poo. Just because guns and punches and kicks are more popular in movies these days doesn't make it original or an triumph of "originality".

No one's made a movie where the heroes use Gas Chambers and Nukes to kill brown (or maybe asian, considering people don't realize that Iran DOES in fact have snow. Look it up.) people in the last few decades, either. But we aren't rooting for that to make a come back, are we?

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru.