Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Idgj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That is the 9/11 twin tower memorial. Not the best place to use as a background for an ad.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It took way too long for it to click with me that it was the 9/11 memorial. Guess we forgot.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’ve seen at least two photoshops that I swear came from SA if not in the first 24 hours absolutely in the first week 9/11 happened as a reaction to that framing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Specifically the logos are situated in the footprint left by the towers which YEAH is maybe a bit much

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Specifically the logos are situated in the footprint left by the towers which YEAH is maybe a bit much

loving hell that's hilarious and horrible.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Really loving ironic given where the planes flew out of

Rarely do we blame Boston for the real crime: literally 9/11

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't see the big deal. It's really common for sports teams to be named after a disaster that hit the area.

You've got the San Jose Earthquakes, the Chicago Fire, the Carolina Hurricanes, the New York Jets...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tunicate posted:

I don't see the big deal. It's really common for sports teams to be named after a disaster that hit the area.

You've got the San Jose Earthquakes, the Chicago Fire, the Carolina Hurricanes, the New York Jets...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at least it was a high-scoring game

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shifty Nipples posted:

that's the most unexpected reference I've seen in a long time

It's the first song in my "songs that I want to remember existed without necessarily wanting to ever listen to them" Spotify playlist :v:

Yeah, this was...wow.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bargearse posted:

It took way too long for it to click with me that it was the 9/11 memorial. Guess we forgot.

Same. Also I didn't realize the logos were put where the buildings used to me. lmao that's hosed up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

I know I'm stepping on the :oof: here

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Calgary's hockey team is called the Flames, because they kept the name when they moved from their original city: Atlanta

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No specific dumb marketing move, just some rambling thoughts on the state of commercials. I’ve been putting Unsolved Mysteries on PlutoTV on in the background while working. There’s something appealing to classic cable-esque format the streaming service provides. It’s ad supported. So there are commercial breaks. Is it me, or are modern commercials engineered to be cringe as humanly possible? A while back I would watch 80s and 90s commercial blocks on YouTube and they were charming and nostalgic. I started a 2000s block and quit after a Hillshire Farms commercial (The “Go Meat” campaign) because of secondhand embarrassment. I know I’m talking about advertisements, but there’s this total lack of sincerity to them.

Pluto’s commercials range between cringey to irritating. They pick the most absolute irritating music to advertise things too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

80s commercials were loving abominable. Also, commercials have never been sincere, what the gently caress.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They were far more watchable than today’s. I just saw one that featured a guy dancing in a laundromat because of a doctor app. I hate this poo poo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There's an ad on the radio here right now for some credit union and the whole thrust of it is "yeah we have an awesome app but you can still go to a branch to get service if you want!" Has...has that ever been in question at any bank, ever?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I must be in the front row.
We will sell no wine before its time.
So kiss a little longer …
He likes it! Hey Mikey!
Thank you for your support.
I’m a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper …
I don’t want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid

Abominable.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rockman Reserve posted:

There's an ad on the radio here right now for some credit union and the whole thrust of it is "yeah we have an awesome app but you can still go to a branch to get service if you want!" Has...has that ever been in question at any bank, ever?

Depending on where you are in the world yes, here in Sweden banks are closing a lot of branch offices or moving to appointment only because they want to move the low earning customer activities to the internet or an app rather than the more expensive personal service work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yes absolutely

For example USAA gets advertised a lot and they have five (5) branches in the whole country and three of them closed for covid and have yet to reopen

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the days when advertisements were Art, unlike the mindless drivel they shove down the throats of audiences today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1kmVwS4Hw

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Bank branches have to stay open because otherwise people couldn't get forms notarized. And God Forbid we not require notarization! How would we know whether the right person physically signed a document, physical signatures being a thing that is still required in 2022.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Does anyone have a link to that long form Eddie Lampert/Sears article with the warring divisions and stuff? I've found it through Google before but now I'm just getting a bunch of crap on sites with recipe page amounts of ads. There was a really good one, similar to the Target article, that I remember reading.

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

the holy poopacy posted:

the days when advertisements were Art, unlike the mindless drivel they shove down the throats of audiences today:

i am deeply disturbed by the placement of the cheese in this abomination.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Laopooh posted:

Does anyone have a link to that long form Eddie Lampert/Sears article with the warring divisions and stuff? I've found it through Google before but now I'm just getting a bunch of crap on sites with recipe page amounts of ads. There was a really good one, similar to the Target article, that I remember reading.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

At Sears, Eddie Lampert's Warring Divisions Model Adds to the Troubles
by Mina Kimes

Unfortunately it was moved from Business Week to Bloomberg and got paywalled

HelleSpud has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jul 19, 2022

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

HelleSpud posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

At Sears, Eddie Lampert's Warring Divisions Model Adds to the Troubles
by Mina Kimes

Unfortunately it was moved from Business Week to Bloomberg and got paywalled

Doh, 12ft.io doesn't seem to work either. Thanks though!

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Wait, no images, but archive.org is beautiful and wonderful (excepting the gigantic sticky-header)

https://perma.cc/3J24-NMM8

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

HelleSpud posted:

Wait, no images, but archive.org is beautiful and wonderful (excepting the gigantic sticky-header)

https://perma.cc/3J24-NMM8

Yesss, you're awesome

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
We as a society need to accept that "I'll call today" "You'll call now :colbert: " "...I'll call now. :)" is the peak of all past, present, and future advertisement.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

YeahTubaMike posted:

We as a society need to accept that "I'll call today" "You'll call now :colbert: " "...I'll call now. :)" is the peak of all past, present, and future advertisement.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

This itself was a dumb marketing move because it only aired during daytime childrens cartoons. It often ran twice in the same commercial block even

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong it's great marketing because now I'll be a Kenmore man for life

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

They were far more watchable than today’s. I just saw one that featured a guy dancing in a laundromat because of a doctor app. I hate this poo poo.

Are you sure it's not just nostalgia?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

mlnhd posted:

This itself was a dumb marketing move because it only aired during daytime childrens cartoons. It often ran twice in the same commercial block even

They were trying to play the long game. Too bad the generation they advertised too still can’t afford houses (and the whole bankruptcy thing)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

the holy poopacy posted:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Are you sure it's not just nostalgia?

I admit it plays a heavy part, definitely. My post wasn't meant to praise 80s/90s advertising. By all rights, I should have been nostalgic for the 2000s commercials too.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

A tired single mom returns home from work at 7 pm to her latchkey son, age 10. It is July 18, 1995.

“Mom can we get a kenmore air conditioner from sears??”

“Billy you idiot. We live in an apartment”

Kid just shouts out “‘nother scorcher!” At random moments the rest of the summer

mlnhd has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jul 19, 2022

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Very disappointed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrCyqXzHI8 wasn't the one you linked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Only good old commercials are the Sears air condition ad and the Folgers incest ad.