Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Amazed I haven't seen a "Woke snowflakes worried about melting in the sun!" take , although I may have just missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Amazed I haven't seen a "Woke snowflakes worried about melting in the sun!" take , although I may have just missed it.

Pretty sure Raab said something dumb along those lines.

RandomUserString
Jul 1, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mossyfisk posted:

You did miss it. There were not just one, but two such takes from the Tories.

quote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-hayes-heatwave-snowflakes-cowards-b2124023.html

Tory MP says ‘cowards’ taking precautions in heatwave are ‘snowflakes’ and everything wrong with Britain
Jon Stone
Policy Correspondent
2 days ago

A Conservative MP has claimed that people taking precautions during the heatwave are "snowflakes" and "cowards".

John Hayes, who was previously a government minister at the climate change department, suggested that fear of the heat was everything wrong with modern Britain and "the state in which we now live".

It comes as forecasts hit a record-breaking 40 degrees of heat on Monday and Tuesday, amid Met Office warnings that people should stay inside and avoid the sun.

But Sir John, a Brexiteer who voted against reintroducing Covid restrictions told the Telegraph: "This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat.

"It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

"The idea that we clamour for hot weather for most of the year and then shut down when it does heat up is indicative of the state in which we now live."

Sir John has previously been described as a climate change sceptic and recently contributed to a report calling for climate action to be delayed.

quote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/britons-sunshine-raab-extreme-heat-b2125073.html

Britons should ‘enjoy the sunshine,’ says Dominic Raab amid warnings people will die due to extreme heat
Joe Middleton
15 hours ago

Britons should “enjoy the sunshine” during the heatwave, Dominic Raab has said, despite warnings the extreme temperatures could cause thousands of deaths.

The deputy prime minister said people should be “resilient” as temperatures are set to skyrocket to 40C on Monday and Tuesday.

“Obviously there is some common sense practical advice we are talking about – stay hydrated, stay out of the sun at the hottest times, wear sun cream – those sorts of things,” he told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge On Sunday programme.

“We ought to enjoy the sunshine and actually we ought to be resilient enough through some of the pressures it will place.”

RandomUserString fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 18, 2022

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

WhatEvil posted:

I looked at the twitter thread with the architect guy saying we need to invent new spaces and whatever.

Like, it seems he's coming from the right place but he should just look at places where they've made medium density housing work, like Montreal

E: Also this channel in general is great.

No, every englishman needs their own terrace house

It's 50% parking spaces lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sinky posted:

No, every englishman needs their own terrace house

It's 50% parking spaces lol

I'd be offended by the scale on that if nothing else. Unless the houses are only 10 feet deep, the parking spaces are at least twice the length of a car.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

I'd be offended by the scale on that if nothing else. Unless the houses are only 10 feet deep, the parking spaces are at least twice the length of a car.
welcome to tiny house world, winston

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

welcome to tiny house world, winston

This is what I say everytime I log onto YouTube and fall down an interior design rabbit hole.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Terraced houses using the ideas in that Montreal video (back yard focused, large simple rooms, not car-centric, designed around community areas) are a pretty good medium density housing, and it's not like we've never built any in the UK, it's just that nobody wants to build new ones because you can't get silly prices for them and you might have to build a library or a pub to go with them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

sigh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Start with regular drug tests on MPs and that's a great policy. Imagine a world where Tories aren't allowed to leave the country.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What was the policy being caught with cocaine before?

It seems like ratcheting up on cannabis use but a ratcheting down cocaine, because I remember police being pretty strict on catching you with it. But I could just be misremembering.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1548645648672628736

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/BrexitDuck/status/1548896179320229888?s=20&t=36yZr_8ROATIKwgOLzrgLg

SUNNY DAY
AVE A PINT
SIMPLE AS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
what about a real emergency like brown people in rubber boat or black man tell joke? what about the pro nouns? they are putting groening gangs in the gender bathrooms!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

they are putting groening gangs in the gender bathrooms!!

:ohdear: I don't wanna end up getting a footrub against my will

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:wtc:

Edit: oh is it a parody account

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Mick Take claims another scalp

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just spent five minutes outside hanging washing on the line and friends, it is Too Hot.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1548952177711923200

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Just spent five minutes outside hanging washing on the line and friends, it is Too Hot.

It's as hot outside as it is inside here, 20 degrees (this may be because the backdoor is open slightly)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/ItsColOutside/status/1548734423830593543

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

"politically sensitive content" is now what, a flag? Ok.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

the radical terror cell of divorced dads with something to prove

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tesseraction posted:

the radical terror cell of divorced dads with something to prove

*through a loudspeaker*

"We have occupied the sofa, and will not be leaving until our demands are met. Our demands are simple: Let us see the kids, please!"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Red Oktober posted:

Rich Evans is politically sensitive.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/recreational-drug-passports-confiscated-night-club-bans/

Recreational drug users are being targeted, and it's not just cocaine users, but also cannabis too

quote:

The Home Secretary is set to announce the new plans on Monday in the bid to punish recreational users of cocaine and cannabis who refuse to give up their habit.

Announcing the plans in a White Paper today, Priti Patel said: "We are cracking down on drug use, with tougher consequences for so-called recreational drug users.

"They will face the consequences of their actions through sanctions including fines and conditions to attend rehabilitation courses, while drug offenders could have their passports and driving licences confiscated.

Under the plan, first-time offenders will be required to pay for and attend a drug awareness course similar to the £120 speed awareness programmes.

If first-time offenders do not attend a course, they must pay an increased Fixed Penalty Notice or face prosecution.

Those found using drugs for a second time will be given a caution, sent on a further drug awareness course and could face a up to three months of mandatory random drug testing.

Offenders caught for a third time are likely to be convicted and as part of a civil court order, could be subject to an exclusion order banning them from a specific location like a nightclub.

Third-time offenders may also be given a drug tag monitoring their usage, and see their passports and driving licences confiscated.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Red Oktober posted:

How bizarre. I use Tweetbot so I don’t know if it’s flagged like that on actual Twitter. Quite why a gammon on a sofa is politically sensitive is anyones guess

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mega Comrade posted:

What was the policy being caught with cocaine before?

Having to hand over your stash to Michael Gove

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/rhysjamesy/status/1548945640297832449

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Having to hand over your stash to Michael Gove

Surely a competent opposition could make a big show of pushing for amendments to the bill to include regular testing of certain classes of public servants (such as MPs). This would work well if your aim was to defeat the bill, as it's a reasonable-sounding amendment to it that would instantly stop 40% or more of Tories voting it through. Though while typing this out I have realised that Keith doesn't want to do this because he's basically the ur-Cop.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how does legalised weed poll in the uk? is it as obvious a winner as in teh us?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Red Oktober posted:

mine just says potentially sensitive?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Surprise T Rex posted:

Surely a competent opposition could make a big show of pushing for amendments to the bill to include regular testing of certain classes of public servants (such as MPs). This would work well if your aim was to defeat the bill, as it's a reasonable-sounding amendment to it that would instantly stop 40% or more of Tories voting it through. Though while typing this out I have realised that Keith doesn't want to do this because he's basically the ur-Cop.

Also his BAC is pushing 1% on good days.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there’s a good short story which is periodically posted in the climate change thread (cspam not d&d) from the perspective of a young girl a few decades from now, and it just shows how huge climate change disasters just unfurl with everyone hectically dealing with it and the older generation just not giving much care since they lived their best life

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

bump_fn posted:

how does legalised weed poll in the uk? is it as obvious a winner as in teh us?

It's a winner except among the retired Daily Mail readers who decide all policy in this country

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

mine just says potentially sensitive?

Goddammit. Can I blame this on the heat?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1548971958955655168

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol loving cowards

but this is good... for keiremy starmbin

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

First sensible thing they've done to be honest. It's like with the Democrat hustings in the US - they can do so much damage to each other just to get the top spot that it makes it easier for the other party come elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Defcon 8 would be what? Slightly vexed sat on a sofa? Playing your nephew in an RA2 1v1 and seeing a clone vat start construction near your base? Sigh.