Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It was the excessive clubbing

Cirrhosis is a bad way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

1 posted:

Huh. So very many paintings and statues totally gave me the wrong idea.

Also, while checking Wikipedia to see how he actually died, this struck me as a bit macabre:

Just an old Germanic tradition.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

1 posted:

Also, while checking Wikipedia to see how he actually died, this struck me as a bit macabre:

Lots of women just stumbling over corpses and dragging them away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

1 posted:

Christianity used to be way more goth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

There is a lot in this wiki link, recommend everyone read it.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Christianity used to be way more goth.

Goths wish they could be as goth as Catholics, those people pour brackish water on babies while they wear black outfits with blood red shoes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao if you dont wash your baby in piss and vinegar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BasicLich posted:

Goths wish they could be as goth as Catholics, those people pour brackish water on babies while they wear black outfits with blood red shoes

I have said that sufficiently advanced Catholicism is indistinguishable from being hella goth, and vice versa.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have said that sufficiently advanced Catholicism is indistinguishable from being hella goth, and vice versa.

You know, I've been meaning to post this somewhere so here goes:

More here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc1RhQJLO8D

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weird flex when the real goths all know that Jesus was begotten some time after creation by God the Father, rather than being co-eternal with the Father. Stealing goth valour if you ask me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Weird flex when the real goths all know that Jesus was begotten some time after creation by God the Father, rather than being co-eternal with the Father. Stealing goth valour if you ask me.
Humans really will go to holy war with each other over absolutely anything, won’t they?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

girl dick energy posted:

Humans really will go to holy war with each other over absolutely anything, won’t they?

I know right, next they'll start talking about how the Spirit emanates from both the Father and the Son, rather than the Father alone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/immovable-ladder-church-holy-sepulchre

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sometimes, “people have always been people and will always be people” is more depressing than inspiring.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

quote:

A mysterious vampire-slaying kit containing objects reputed to ward off the blood-thirsty monsters sparked an international bidding battle – and smashed its auction estimate to smithereens.

The find went under the hammer at Hansons Auctioneers on June 30 with an estimate of £2,000-£3,000 but it soared to a hammer price of £13,000 – more than six times its low estimate. It was purchased by a private UK buyer after a fierce bidding competition. The total price paid with buyer’s premium was £16,900.

More here

I have a strong and growing urge to try to replicate it :sweatdrop:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Not enough people are buried upside down with a rock in their mouth these days. It's just a matter of time before we end up getting :drac:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Because the English used to use idiot hell money instead of decimal currency, they had "£1/19/11¾" instead of 1,99. (I.e. one farthing under two pounds sterling.)

e: Or 19/11¾ instead of 0,99.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

0.99 dkk would be 2 mark 15 ¹³⁄₂₅ skilling if i did my math right (2 kroner = 1 daler = 6 mark, 1 mark = 16 skilling, so we have 1 øre = ¹²⁄₂₅ skilling less than 3 mark)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't blame everything in England on the Danes.

Or actually...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

call it 50/50

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

English are just Island Danes.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Wasn't British currency so notoriously nonsensical that looking at how someone handles loose change was a legitimate strategy for rooting out spies during WW2?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Wasn't British currency so notoriously nonsensical that looking at how someone handles loose change was a legitimate strategy for rooting out spies during WW2?

I think about 100% of spies just went and turned themselves in, hoping to switch sides?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

German agents were overall pretty terrible and got caught often. They'd bring in foreign products like German toiletries and sausages, drive on the wrong side of the road, try to get into a pub that's closed under wartime regulations, etc.

The most infamously bad was probably Werner von Janowski. He was dropped off via submarine in Canada and was immediately noted as a spy because he was wearing a European-style suit that smelled like he had been on a submarine all day, had the wrong accent for Quebecois French, didn't know the bus schedules, and had old money and occupied Belgian matches. As soon as the police even started questioning him he just went "All right, fine, I'm a spy."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FreudianSlippers posted:

English are just Island Danes.

Denmark, famous for not having any islands.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

Like England.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's also Operation Pastorius and the Duquesne Spy Ring in the US. Both cases were full of german-american immigrants who had all the advantages of fitting in, except woops, multiple members immediately flipped.

Not to mention Canaris himself was anti-Hitler.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Philippe posted:

As soon as you can drive to an Island over a bridge it stops being an Island and becomes a bespoke peninsula.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I wouldn't say "nonsensical" (the actual currency was not that complicated at all) but there was a lot of slang for the numerous coins and the usage of it could be quite subtle and i could see that as an easy way to catch people out.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jul 18, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some German spies got caught at the Battle of the Bulge because their military IDs spelled "Identification" correctly, while authentic American ones had a typo - "Indentification".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chamale posted:

Some German spies got caught at the Battle of the Bulge because their military IDs spelled "Identification" correctly, while authentic American ones had a typo - "Indentification".

My military passport has four consecutive Rs instead of the correct three on the official stamp of the unit. But I'm not a German spy, so it checks out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sounds like exactly what a german spy would say

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sounds like exactly what a german spy would say

At last ...

Welcome, comrade. Welcome. Sit down. Rest your weary elbows. You'll take a glass of vodka?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
My favorite was that german spy who was stopped by the police in the UK when bicycling on the wrong side of the road, with German sausages and Nivea hand cream in his bag.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/beijingpalmer/status/1549139124514439169?s=21&t=QUz_j1q4Hk141QZegCHOGQ

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Apparently there used to be guns made specifically for cyclists, for defence against angry dogs.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That was the case in Australia too, until we ditched the pound in favour of decimal currrency. The UK didn't make the same change until 1971.

The change was welcomed by pretty much everyone. The only person I've ever met who actually preferred pre-decimal currency had such a severe case of boomer brain-spiders that she thought it was giving in to people too stupid to figure out the old system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bullshit. I've seen the British Pathé videos from decimalization. The olds are mad as hell

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Gaius Marius posted:

Bullshit. I've seen the British Pathé videos from decimalization. The olds are mad as hell

Olds gonna old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

huh, we kind of still have those in Denmark. Little plastic guns that shoot a kind of blank, only used New Year's Eve by children too small for fireworks, but they are indeed called "hundeproppistol" (dog-cork-pistol)