Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

Those are decent gains right?

Those bumps to minimums will definitely be nice. And peak power draw isn't really that great of a metric, the sustained will certainly be interesting though.

Obviously the overarching question is still what Zen 4 does and doesn't have, and potentially when Zen4 3D will actually show up on market for consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

Those are decent gains right?

not a big boost in average (about 5%) at 1080p and 1440p, but big boosts in minimums. It's 27% faster in 1080p mins and 22% in 1440p mins. In the other benchmark 80% higher in RDR2 1080p mins, and that's a very cpu-intensive game (it's an everything-intensive game). So maybe that's an absolute best case scenario thing.

minimums are really important, many people feel moreso than averages, and that was one of the advantages of 5800x3d, the cache really helps it power through dumb bullshit code. Everyone will end up having to run dumb bullshit code at some point, but especially in gaming, gamedevs gonna gamedev and shove some poo poo out the door. Everyone will know it’s bullshit and the studio sucks but you can either run the bullshit code or not play the game.

Intel is pulling no punches on the top sku, they're pre-overclocked to the gills, like 5.5 ghz max TVB or something? Yikes that's fast, I guess Intel 7 going pretty well now, like that's actually faster than planar nodes really could do without sub-ambient, that's impressive.

so, basically I guess intel cements a little more gaming leadership (alder was very good vs non-X3D zen3 in gaming) and closes one of the 5800X3D's advantages, at the expense of even more titanic power. Based on the average results I'm not sure whether it'll have huge benefits for productivity but I kinda doubt it, productivity usually means throughput-oriented tasks which correspond more to “average” style metrics.

if all you want is to game, maybe the 13700k will be more reasonable but this isn't a good package compared to the 5800X3D for gaming imo, the x3d is way way more efficient, frequency-capped zen3 with tons of cache is an efficiency monster for load power (idle is bad tho), iirc it pretty much caps out around 70W and often lower. 5900X3D or 5950X3D probably will dunk on this in most things except for gaming, and they don't have heterogeneous core headaches. still no avx-512 on this, and 7800X3D will probably be coming next spring with avx-512. overall package totally doesn't make sense, 5900X3D or 5950X3D will clown on these in the enthusiast space in terms of sales if AMD does it, and waiting for 7800X3D or 7900X3D isn't going to be all that long anyway.

Maybe things will look a bit better when Intel's HEDT rolls around, that should (?) have AVX-512 enabled and no heterogeneous cores, but, HEDT seems to mean big bucks these days. AVX-512 is a box I really want to check on my next desktop processor but again, if the big picture doesn't make sense, zen4 will eventually have a 7900X3D too, even if the general improvement is small avx-512 is a big value-add in RPCS3 emulation etc especially in combination with v-cache I'm sure. I do hope AMD brings out V-cache HEDT at not-insane prices but lol it's not gonna happen.

it'll be interesting to note whether there's any warning signs of intel going too large. Yes, they have the deadweight of AVX-512 but even still Intel's got by far the largest p-core (by transistor count) out of intel, amd, and apple. Alder lake is big big big, they went 5-wide decode and tons of execution units and caches, dunno what exactly this is but I would assume pump it up even more. I always wanted to see someone make The Gigacore and now it's kinda mediocre lol. It will be interesting to see some actual reviews with iso-clocks or iso-power for Raptor vs Alder on say SPEC2017, I am curious what that would show. Too bad anandtech imploded, that is something Andrei or Ian would definitely have done in their review.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 18, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Too bad anandtech imploded.

wait what? I hadn't heard about this

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yup Ian left, Andrei left, I think there may have been one more? Ryan Smith? (not Shrout) But basically everyone who did the content at anandtech whose name you’d know has left over the last year, purch now owns a website and a data set lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

They have steadily decreased in quality since Anand left for Apple, and recently lost their most prolific writer on their staff. They are kind of sporadically producing seemingly random content lately.

efb

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah their content is likelier to miss the bottom line value assessment more often than they hit

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seems like every day, another old tech standby is fading away.

Notebookcheck is less notebooks and more smartphones with sponsored content masquerading as articles. Their comparative database is still okay for comparing laptop CPUs/GPUs against eachother, but otherwise the rest of the site is a wash.

On that note, Notebookreview.com's forums were also wiped from the face of the earth, because the owners decided they didn't want to keep paying for them anymore. That's actually an outright crime, between decades of notebook hardware hacks, parts compatibility for things like panel upgrades and battery swaps, and driver inf hacks just gone poof off the face of the internet.

All the while rumor aggregators like WCCFTech keep chugging along.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 18, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Nine times out of ten, fiction sells better than fact. So it goes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seems like every day, another old tech standby is fading away.

Notebookcheck is less notebooks and more smartphones with sponsored content masquerading as articles. Their comparative database is still okay for comparing laptop CPUs/GPUs against eachother, but otherwise the rest of the site is a wash.

On that note, Notebookreview.com's forums were also wiped from the face of the earth, because the owners decided they didn't want to keep paying for them anymore. That's actually an outright crime, between decades of notebook hardware hacks, parts compatibility for things like panel upgrades and battery swaps, and driver inf hacks just gone poof off the face of the internet.

I'm pretty sure that there's new, completely unsponsored tech reviewers delivering high quality coverage, but we haven't found them because they're on TikTok.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Egon: “Print is dead.”

But yeah, I think most of the in depth stuff is in video form now because it’s easier to monetize.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Egon: “Print is dead.”

But yeah, I think most of the in depth stuff is in video form now because it’s easier to monetize.

There was always a kernel of truth in the Facebook transition to video thing. GN, LTT and other tech review YouTubers absolutely couldn’t make the kind of money they do off written content.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
multimedia is legit and always has been an incredibly effective way of reaching and teaching people, limited only by practicalities- creating high quality video used to be extortionately expensive. it's not surprising that as creation and hosting got cheaper/free people gravitated to the medium where you could actually eg watch how someone puts a cooler in, rather than a lot of "The bracket A is difficult to fit, while the screws are placed in awkward positions" you get with text. much more useful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do we know if EDIT: Raptor, not Meteor Lake / 13th gen is still going to support DDR4? I'm thinking no but I haven't heard of anything for sure either way

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 24, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

do we know if Meteor Lake / 13th gen is still going to support DDR4? I'm thinking no but I haven't heard of anything for sure either way

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-z790-h770-supports-both-ddr4-and-ddr5

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I still find it funny you can throw up a 4k video for everyone to see easier than throwing up some text

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

multimedia is legit and always has been an incredibly effective way of reaching and teaching people, limited only by practicalities- creating high quality video used to be extortionately expensive. it's not surprising that as creation and hosting got cheaper/free people gravitated to the medium where you could actually eg watch how someone puts a cooler in, rather than a lot of "The bracket A is difficult to fit, while the screws are placed in awkward positions" you get with text. much more useful.

gamers nexus and hardware unboxed are probably two of the best hardware review teams out there proving that video can be useful for product information

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Shipon posted:

gamers nexus and hardware unboxed are probably two of the best hardware review teams out there proving that video can be useful for product information

I would argue that from a consumption standpoint, the same information via text would be way more efficient to consume. I'd say GN is useful in spite of the medium, not because of.

That said, seems pretty clear that's where the revenue is.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The difference in ease of monetization is hugely significant. I feel like GN does a great job of outfitting their videos with usefully demarcated time segment labels and also just being nicely straightforward with their information as well, which makes them comparatively so nice versus just a long timeline with no indicator of which bit of content in the video can be found where, or somewhat rambling reviewers / commentators. Thinking about compared to the good old days of Anandtech articles where you might need to navigate several pages into the article to find some bit of info you're after, I don't think it's very different in terms of efficiency.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - as someone who likes reading Anandtech (still!) and watching GN, I think both mediums are effective and it's mostly a matter of preference. I like having the tech tubers on in the background while I do other things because I don't actually have to watch the video usually - something like hardware news would work just fine as a podcast, and component reviews are almost the same except for the graphs. I also like Steve dragging companies for doing dumb poo poo and I don't think that would carry nearly as well in text.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 24, 2022

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It's just so, so much faster to read an article than it is to listen to someone narrate it. Even with the timestamps, it's much faster to extract specific information, by skimming text as well, especially when articles are broken into sections.

I don't dislike GN, for the most part I think they do a great job with methodology, but again I think benchmark/reviews are better in text from.

Obviously there are things that video is better for, like showing actual disassembly, and that's definitely useful. But it's unfortunate all the text review sites seem to be dying.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I had to listen to a LTT episode once because someone in my lab asked me about a niche product and Linus was literally the only person who ever looked at it. I felt like one of those old timer IT guys who only post on newsgroups

Then he went to IDC for a show and I died a little on the inside

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 25, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

It's just so, so much faster to read an article than it is to listen to someone narrate it. Even with the timestamps, it's much faster to extract specific information, by skimming text as well, especially when articles are broken into sections.

I don't dislike GN, for the most part I think they do a great job with methodology, but again I think benchmark/reviews are better in text from.

Obviously there are things that video is better for, like showing actual disassembly, and that's definitely useful. But it's unfortunate all the text review sites seem to be dying.

Fwiw Steve has said years ago that he thinks the same but that videos were so much better in terms of views that it was a no brainer

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Both have value to me, depending on the thing being reviewed. It likely depends on how you prefer to learn and when/where/how you consume media. I generally go video these days.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Do GN still have full articles for each of their videos?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Both certainly have their uses but I often have issues actually absorbing any information from someone rambling off a bunch of stats, same goes for the Project Farm guy. Like I hear and understand it obviously but the moment they switch to the next, it's like uh... so how does this compare to the previous game/item? I guess it's just easier for me to build the bigger picture and put everything into context by looking at several graphs on the same page.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Both certainly have their uses but I often have issues actually absorbing any information from someone rambling off a bunch of stats, same goes for the Project Farm guy. Like I hear and understand it obviously but the moment they switch to the next, it's like uh... so how does this compare to the previous game/item? I guess it's just easier for me to build the bigger picture and put everything into context by looking at several graphs on the same page.

I feel exactly the same way and have the same problem with Project Farm. It's 10-20 minutes of watching a video just to get to information I could have absorbed in seconds from a well-designed web page.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm just old / at work or even at home sometimes, I just don't have speakers on or my headphones on... I can read a webpage at any time. Stop making me watch videos!

(That said, watching videos on car repair has made me 1000x more efficient than looking at a few pics on an Audi forum taken with a feature potato phone and hosted on loving Photobucket... they have their place)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I vastly prefer the video format for my tech info because I very rarely need this information and if it was only written down I wouldn't seek it out, but having it in video formats means that I can run them while occupied with various other tasks and end up absorbing a lot. It's sort of like language immersion for me, except instead of learning German I'm developing strong opinions about CPU coolers and frame time consistency.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

movax posted:

I'm just old / at work or even at home sometimes, I just don't have speakers on or my headphones on... I can read a webpage at any time. Stop making me watch videos!

(That said, watching videos on car repair has made me 1000x more efficient than looking at a few pics on an Audi forum taken with a feature potato phone and hosted on loving Photobucket... they have their place)

I actually prefer pictures because it’s easy to go specifically to what I need to see instead of skipping around in YT and trying to pause with a greasy or gloved hand

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem with Project Farm is that he needs to publish content regularly and the quality has cratered. The videos used to be worth watching because he would actually talk about meaningful stuff that relates to actually realistic use cases, and that sort of combination of quantitative + qualitative analysis can be useful to show on video, now it's mostly irrelevant tests just being rattled off. Sometimes you can derive some value from it but his rankings are loving worthless. Some of his recent videos have use, but a lot of them are really, really bad. "Here's how this tool performs at tasks you would never actually use it for!"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a most likely bottleneck when I'm playing a game, the framerate's uncapped but GPU utilization is low, and each CPU core isn't close to being maxed out (based on afterburner)? Specifically it's happening with some emulated PS3 games. RPCS3 is CPU intensive, so I'm pretty sure it's not on the GPU side. Something some extra L2 cache would help with?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 26, 2022

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Rinkles posted:

Is there a most likely bottleneck when I'm playing a game, the framerate's uncapped but GPU utilization is low, and each CPU core isn't close to being maxed out (based on afterburner)? Specifically it's happening with some emulated PS3 games. RPCS3 is CPU intensive, so I'm pretty sure it's not on the GPU side. Something some extra L2 cache would help with?

I know this has been said many times in many threads in sh/sc, but the PS3's architecture is a fundamentally poor fit for emulation on pretty much any "normal" CPU. It's not just slower, because you're writing a (for example) Z80 in software and then running that on a host CPU and then running Z80 code on top of that. A Z80 isn't an x86 CPU, but it shares a lot of structural commonalities with them.

The PS3's Cell, on the other hand, is more like a single-core PowerPC with seven coprocessors hanging off of it, each of which is something like an AVX unit, but also something like a shader engine, but also something like a DSP. But really there's eight of them, but really there's not because one is walled off by/for the system software. And these coprocessors can act independently, or they can be chained together in serial.

All this because Ken Kutaragi had a giant boner for "elegant" architecture and ignored that the graveyard of CPU design is littered with elegant hardware designs which would rely in a really smart compiler to take up the slack of dealing with the weirdness and/or ideological purity of the hardware engineers -- a thing that never really pans out the way over-confident designers want it to.

So to successfully emulate a Cell, you have to correctly implement this odd design, which maps poorly onto commodity hardware, and then you've got to cope with the fact that the compiler was never as good as Sony wanted it to be, and the PS3 largely underperformed the expectations that were set for it because of this. And then there's the fact that games are notoriously full of dirty hacks and cheats, resulting in emulators needing to be what's called "bug-for-bug compatible" with specific games which relied on discovered quirks of the physical hardware, which were likely not documented (on either end; either the hacks, or the discovered quirks).

It's just a perfect storm for lovely emulation performance.

TL;DR I have no idea if L2 will help; I just want people to accept that PS3 emulation will probably keep being worse than they wish it were, for longer than they expect.

P.S. The best thing the PS3 did was help ensure that the PS4 and PS5 are based on commodity hardware. Sony loves to unlearn painful lessons and slip back into Dunning-Krugerspace though, so eventually we're guaranteed to see a playstation built on top another esoteric, possibly-homegrown platform.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for detailed response. I've actually been surprised at how well some games perform (I have a 11600K). Some stuff runs at 60fps no problem. Typically the newer the game the worse it runs, though.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Someone here posted an article not so long ago about how AVX-512 instructions really help with PS3 emulation because they implement some of the esoteric functionality of the Cell co-procs. If you already have an 11th gen Core, your best option is probably to step up to an 11900k. At least it's a straightforward upgrade.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rinkles posted:

Thanks for detailed response. I've actually been surprised at how well some games perform (I have a 11600K). Some stuff runs at 60fps no problem. Typically the newer the game the worse it runs, though.

The newer games running worse thing is probably because when the PS3 first shipped it was too hard for game programmers to get good use out of the Cell SPEs, so few of them bothered. To a game like that, the PS3 is just a single slow PowerPC core with a NVidia GPU, which is not too demanding to emulate. Later games were developed with the advantage of better tooling and/or middleware libraries that made it much easier to do stuff with the SPEs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All consoles as far back as the Famicom and Super Famicom have had a progression where games get more and more optimized for the given set of hardware constraints of a particular platform - it's got nothing to do with the PS3 or its particular brand of quirky but interesting Cell CPU.
That progression eventually ends up with the late-era games pushing the hardware to its absolute limits, which can result in games feeling slower despite having more optimizations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Someone here posted an article not so long ago about how AVX-512 instructions really help with PS3 emulation because they implement some of the esoteric functionality of the Cell co-procs. If you already have an 11th gen Core, your best option is probably to step up to an 11900k. At least it's a straightforward upgrade.

Hardware TSX also helps PS3 emulation performance a ton, to the point where people have been finding hacks to re-enable it on the generations of CPU that had it, which were at least Haswell and Broadwell, but maybe Skylake: https://rpcs3.net/blog/2020/08/21/hardware-performance-scaling/.

Ok, looking at the article, the God of War and Uncharted games only run well with TSX, which is only available on 4th-9th gen Intel CPUs, and requires disabling some security mitigations.

PS3 emulation is the wild west of performance engineering. I'm really curious if having >8 cotes with full AVX-512 support might finally crack that nut because it'll be more possible to pin threads and directly act like the SPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Someone here posted an article not so long ago about how AVX-512 instructions really help with PS3 emulation because they implement some of the esoteric functionality of the Cell co-procs.

It's also because AVX512 doubles the number of registers over what AVX2 has

Cell still has even more registers than AVX512, but getting closer means the JIT doesn't need to spill to RAM as often

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Hardware TSX also helps PS3 emulation performance a ton, to the point where people have been finding hacks to re-enable it on the generations of CPU that had it, which were at least Haswell and Broadwell, but maybe Skylake: https://rpcs3.net/blog/2020/08/21/hardware-performance-scaling/.

Ok, looking at the article, the God of War and Uncharted games only run well with TSX, which is only available on 4th-9th gen Intel CPUs, and requires disabling some security mitigations.

PS3 emulation is the wild west of performance engineering. I'm really curious if having >8 cotes with full AVX-512 support might finally crack that nut because it'll be more possible to pin threads and directly act like the SPUs.
A-ha! A use for my old i7s (4790k and 7700k) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a whole host of Xbox 360 games running at quad res or higher and twice the frame rate on their cheapo $299 Zen 2 console, which kind of obviates the need for 360 emulation, and honestly remasters for some degree.