Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
More like wet coast pizza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like yeast coast pizza!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like tavern style pizza that isn't cut into squares. When a pizza is cut the standard way, you kinda want a crust, so you have a a grip.

Edit: Unless it's h00ge like NY style where you just taco it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Data Graham posted:

Maybe I'll ask here because I'm really starting to wonder.

Serious question: is there such a thing as "west coast style pizza" or some such? I was just in Oregon and all the pizza I saw around was like this:

The main feature being that the crust around the edge is not raised, the toppings go right to the edge. It's the way all pizza was when I was growing up in California, it's how Round Table does it, it's how Mountain Mike's does it, and apparently every place in Oregon does it like that too.

I really like it.

All the pizza I've seen on the east coast (whether NYC street style, brick-oven style, etc) seems to have a big thick crust edge, which is something I only associated with poo poo tier office party pizza back in CA.

This isn't even getting into the toppings/flavors, which I would also swear are way different on west coast pizzas, but that's harder to capture in a photo. Much spicier pepperoni/sauce and meltier cheese though, and lord help you if you use canned mushrooms.

Am I insane or is this a thing? Either way I am only getting more homesick the longer I'm out east

You're not insane, this is totally a thing. I dunno how far it extends up or down the coast, but I grew up in northern CA and have seen a lot of pies like this. When people think of west coast or california style pizza they usually think of weird toppings, and there's plenty of that, but if you go to any old pizza place there's a decent chance you will get something that looks like this. I haven't had Mountain Mike's but Round Table is definitely a good example of the type.

I think the defining characteristics are:
- large amounts of toppings that go almost all the way to the edge
- the crust is crispy but relatively thick/doughy (at least compared to like a NY slice). You probably don't need or want to do the fold.
- there is plenty of sauce and it's not particularly sweet
- never square/party cut

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm starting to think the characteristic smell/taste you get with that style when opening the box being overwhelmingly pepperoni/sauce/mushrooms/etc is also owed to the smaller proportion of crust and less of it exposed to the air. Thinking of east coast pizzas it always seems like most of what you get a whiff of is bread+cheese.

Round Table is my gold standard (I never pass up a chance when I'm out west, Mendocino County reppin) but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Mountain Mike's is broadly the same across the board, if that's what's available.

e: I think another feature is really narrow slices. An east coast pizza might be six slices for a medium, with the idea that one slice is a lunch, maybe two. I'll slice the same pie 10 or 12 ways. Pizza to my inner child's post-soccer-game mind is a "slam a slice, go back for three more" kind of thing

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 18, 2022

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah well you’re wet with blood, got about 6 minutes to say goodbye. :byewhore:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Ate at the Chicago Pizza Pot Pie and Oven Grinder Co. recently and while it doesn't look bad or taste bad their pizza pot pies definitely have a "Hello, Clarice" feeling to them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

it doesn't look bad

Uhhhh

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I'm starting to think the characteristic smell/taste you get with that style when opening the box being overwhelmingly pepperoni/sauce/mushrooms/etc is also owed to the smaller proportion of crust and less of it exposed to the air. Thinking of east coast pizzas it always seems like most of what you get a whiff of is bread+cheese.

Round Table is my gold standard (I never pass up a chance when I'm out west, Mendocino County reppin) but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Mountain Mike's is broadly the same across the board, if that's what's available.

e: I think another feature is really narrow slices. An east coast pizza might be six slices for a medium, with the idea that one slice is a lunch, maybe two. I'll slice the same pie 10 or 12 ways. Pizza to my inner child's post-soccer-game mind is a "slam a slice, go back for three more" kind of thing

Narrow slices are definitely part of the style. I can't think of any specific restaurants, but it was common when I was growing up in Washington. It's definitely the reason I cut any frozen or take and bake into thin slices.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Philthy posted:

Looks like tavern style pizza that isn't cut into squares. When a pizza is cut the standard way, you kinda want a crust, so you have a a grip.

Edit: Unless it's h00ge like NY style where you just taco it.

Square cut is the cut for drunk people to grab pinches of pizza and be happy. being hosed up and watching your toppings slide off the slice is lame.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/fuckeduppizzas/status/1549177393872621568

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mods??

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Real weird to see Round Table as anyones gold standard, the grease they use is undigestible.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Round Table is fine. Not aware of any pizza place that uses "grease" as an ingredient. Maybe the one you went to used expired mozzarella.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Round Table isn't bad but I agree it's weird to see people name dropping it as their gold standard. It'd be like someone saying Jimmy John's is the place go if you want an amazing sandwich. Hell, I worked at a Round Table for my very first job as a teenager. I can guarantee you there's nothing special going on back there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not saying it's the gold standard, just my gold standard :v: I realize it's irrational.

Just one of those "this is how it's supposed to taste" things that I'm not about to try to convince anyone of, just don't get in my way if I see one.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I was at a pizza buffet today and I saw a lady put ketchup and mustard on her pizzas.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not sure what's on either of these

this one I'm not sure I want to know

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fries & ranch?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Not positive about the ranch. I haven't seen it on a Korean pizza before. Of course I haven't seen any other pure white sauces either

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

in a thread that has pizzas with uncooked racoon parts and motor oil on them they aren't bad looking

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

not sure what's on either of these

Yeah all of these actually look like they could be really nice, but no idea what's going on with any of them.

Would 100% try a slice from each one.

Despite their wetness you can tell the stuff that was meant to be cooked was cooked.

Middle one curious as hell what the fucks going on. All symmetry lost. chaos reigns. What are those god drat lumps!!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I know that this isn't what it is, but half of the first one looks kinda like a chile colorado pie and, drat, with some modification I would *gently caress up* a chile colorado pizza.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
whats the consensus on marinara sauce

more
spicier
cream garlic
pesto
bbq sauce

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LvK posted:

I know that this isn't what it is, but half of the first one looks kinda like a chile colorado pie and, drat, with some modification I would *gently caress up* a chile colorado pizza.

I mean yeah sort of seems a split between a tomato/chill/meat thing, and a thick spiced cheese sauce over :shrug:.

Like it gotta be worth a try.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BasicLich posted:

more
spicier
cream garlic
pesto
bbq sauce

That sounds more complicated than marinara imo

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

By popular demand posted:

5k a night!? Does it come with a cannonical blowjob from a character of your choice?

He isn't called Chewie for nothing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Are those hot dogs in buns on the second one?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MassiveSky posted:

He isn't called Chewie for nothing.

He doesn't just rip your arms off

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just spit on my pizza next time, yeesh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If I ever complain about St Louis style again, someone remind me that this thing could be sitting in front of me instead

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Did the pizza finish too?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I should call her

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Soul Dentist posted:

That sounds more complicated than marinara imo

i was too drunk to change the post when I decided to go in the direction of the full gamut of sauces

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

This is just a thin crust pizza

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is this even a pizza or just a gyro that got unfolded/unwrapped?

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1550094327149469697

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bold Robot posted:

Is this even a pizza or just a gyro that got unfolded/unwrapped?

I think it's a rejected scene from a Ridley Scott movie