Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What the f*** Belgium?

What the hell is Victor. And why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Why is the ballot a broken Nazi flag

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What exactly is their definition of "flawed democracy"?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The UK House of Lords and FPTP "Full Democracy"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Bodyholes posted:

The UK House of Lords and FPTP "Full Democracy"

I was going to say, probably swap France and the UK and it's reasonably accurate.

I think it's because it doesn't sufficiently take the particulars of the voting systems into account (aside from what you mentioned there's also the lack of judicial oversight; and also the tories are doing their best at voter suppression and gerrymandering).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 18, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hungary in blue is all you really need to know it's trash.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Speech posted:

I was going to say, probably swap France and the UK and it's reasonably accurate.
The UK should be a hybrid regime.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lol UK more democratic than France

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What exactly is their definition of "flawed democracy"?

Not Germanic enough

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
congratulations to kosovo for realizing mahkno's dream of a stateless utopia

congratulations also to hegel for correctly pointing out that german parliamentary democracy is the apogee of human achievement and the benchmark from which all other political systems are judged

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah it's almost 100% a racial thing where everything is being viewed through those biases. I don't think there's basically any reason for Hungary to be rated so well and Bosnia so low compared to it's neighbors except for "Hungary feels European and Bosnia doesn't because it's too muslim."

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bosnia is in a huge gridlock due to flaws in the electoral system, it doesn’t implement crucial decisions of the Constitutional Court and is ran by three competing ethnic criminal organizations. So keep it red, I’d say.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Sensible chuckle

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Countries ruled by hereditary monarchs: full democracy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hungary in blue is all you really need to know it's trash.

It's really borderline but I'd say the Hungarian government has more democratic support and is less nakedly authoritarian than the red countries.

Sure they are really poo poo politically but they don't physically brutalise opposition and have widespread popular support within Hungary.

e: They do engage in media manipulation, corruption and financial prosecution of opponents - but even so it's not at the level of, say, Turkey.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 18, 2022

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm from Flanders and I've never heard these names - we also use Kwik, Kwek and Kwak. At least we did when I was a kid, it's been over 25 years since I watched anything Donald Duck-related.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I'm from Flanders and I've never heard these names - we also use Kwik, Kwek and Kwak. At least we did when I was a kid, it's been over 25 years since I watched anything Donald Duck-related.
Wikipedia says it was a thing from 1950-1959.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah it's almost 100% a racial thing where everything is being viewed through those biases. I don't think there's basically any reason for Hungary to be rated so well and Bosnia so low compared to it's neighbors except for "Hungary feels European and Bosnia doesn't because it's too muslim."

Bosnia has a really lovely government, possibly even more dysfunctional than Belgium’s. But at least Belgium’s government is dysfunctional at a higher basic developmental state than Bosnia’s. I’m surprised Bosnia isn’t doing as bad as like, Lebanon. Maybe the lovely rear end factions (like Lebanon has) are slightly less corrupt? Or maybe they’re just lucky they so far haven’t accidentally nuked Sarajevo and Banja Luka like the Lebanese government did to Beirut?

"Woops our government destroyed our capital city and main port of entry. Better keep voting them in" - Lebanese politics

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Bosnia has a really lovely government, possibly even more dysfunctional than Belgium’s. But at least Belgium’s government is dysfunctional at a higher basic developmental state than Bosnia’s. I’m surprised Bosnia isn’t doing as bad as like, Lebanon. Maybe the lovely rear end factions (like Lebanon has) are slightly less corrupt? Or maybe they’re just lucky they so far haven’t accidentally nuked Sarajevo and Banja Luka like the Lebanese government did to Beirut?

"Woops our government destroyed our capital city and main port of entry. Better keep voting them in" - Lebanese politics

Just a quick reminder that the Bosnian government bought ventilators for covid patients from a raspberry grower. The devices were deemed unusable when delivered and had to be scrapped.
Also, the Bosnian faction leader’s wife has an Elena Causescu style academic career, but hers is in medicine. So yes, Bosnia kills off its citizens en masse through corruption, just by different means than Lebanon.
e: a hospital manager was just convicted for buying welding masks instead of proper PPE for his hospital’s covid ward, holy poo poo

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 18, 2022

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Uh, are they counting the Upper Peninsula as its own state?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are only 12 top states in the map, and it's appropriately labeled. The tweet comes up with 13 because ?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Isn't a hybrid regime specifically when it is essentially authoritarian but still maintains elections? It doesn't really fit for Ukraine but certainly does for Russia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Britain is more democratic than France because britian is minority rule. A true sign of a functioning democracy

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

Isn't a hybrid regime specifically when it is essentially authoritarian but still maintains elections? It doesn't really fit for Ukraine but certainly does for Russia.

It's more nuanced than that, but kinda yeah basically. Authoritarian but with some institutions that can be and are influenced by the population. The amount of institutions and the degree to which they can be influenced varies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess technically part of Ukraine was ruled by authoritarian Russia, that kinda counts as a hybrid regime?

Although to be honest, Ukraine wasn't really a very healthy democracy even aside from the wars. There's a lot of videos of fistfights in the Ukrainian parliament. Although of course, the most destabilizing element for Ukrainian democracy was still proximity to Russia.

The general "health" of a democracy is going to be pretty subjective, and you'd have to wade pretty deeply through a lot of local news to know of all the issues (otherwise, the grass will always seem greener in places where you know the least about).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Monarchy is antithetical to democracy. I will never believe that the UK is a democracy as long as it has a monarch. Turn Buckingham Palace into a daycare center for working mothers. Windsor Castle should be a homeless shelter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

There are only 12 top states in the map, and it's appropriately labeled. The tweet comes up with 13 because ?

I count 13?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess technically part of Ukraine was ruled by authoritarian Russia, that kinda counts as a hybrid regime?

Although to be honest, Ukraine wasn't really a very healthy democracy even aside from the wars. There's a lot of videos of fistfights in the Ukrainian parliament. Although of course, the most destabilizing element for Ukrainian democracy was still proximity to Russia.

The general "health" of a democracy is going to be pretty subjective, and you'd have to wade pretty deeply through a lot of local news to know of all the issues (otherwise, the grass will always seem greener in places where you know the least about).
I thought fistfights in parliament were good, they also have those in Taiwan and Korea for example.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

I count 13?
Are you counting Michigan twice?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you counting Michigan twice?

Alaska
Hawaii
Washington
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

Alaska
Hawaii
Washington
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
The map doesnt have Hawaii colored yellow, despite Hawaii being a top-notch state.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The map doesnt have Hawaii colored yellow, despite Hawaii being a top-notch state.

Oh, it’s small on my phone so I assumed, since it’s the most northerly state at its longitude I think? My bad.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hawaii's at the same longitude as Western Alaska. :eng101:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, it’s small on my phone so I assumed, since it’s the most northerly state at its longitude I think? My bad.

WTF? If you sail directly north from any point in Hawaii you will hit Alaska's southern coast.

Given the thread I'd expect people to know that the inset maps showing AK and HI are just that, and that's not where they're really located.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pennsylvania and Ohio would be 13 and 14 but this map is only showing the top 12

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wisconsin doesn't have an international border but Ohio and Pennsylvania do

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wisconsin doesn't have an international border but Ohio and Pennsylvania do

They don't.

They have coasts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

No sweat, I was trying to figure out why the tweet said 13 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

They don't.

They have coasts.

The border is out in the water, but it's there