Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Are we really reaching the point where we complain if information comes out *too early*? Because the other option was to hear nothing until an August mega dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In one month when Ie releases I hope someone has taken the cost based army cap mod from 2 and converted the modders code for 3 since the guy doesn't plan to update for 3.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

Are we really reaching the point where we complain if information comes out *too early*? Because the other option was to hear nothing until an August mega dump.

This sounds much better thank you for the suggestion

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

This sounds much better thank you for the suggestion

There's an easy way to simulate that by just not reading anything about the game until August.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There's an easy way to simulate that by just not reading anything about the game until August.

Yes. Sadly this is just a simulation.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

orangelex44 posted:

I'm all for concrete info and tidbits. What gets me is when the "info" that is being "dumped" is leaks that are 75% fake from dubious sources, leading to endless conjecture.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run? I'm trying to figure out some starts that won't be affected too much by future lord additions, so that I don't feel obliged to backfill later.

Probably Lokhir. I like the dark elf roster and he's in a neat spot where he can play around in Naggarond or fight all the new races on a side of the map that you don't typically have elves in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean I assume tomorrow will show both the Slaanesh Lord and his new units, then maybe a bit of campaign later in the week, possibly some multiplayer games, rinse and repeat with a LL a week? Sounds all right to me.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Southpaugh posted:

You bought a license (not software) to use software. the software its self is replicable infinitely, its never gets used up and never goes stale, you having it doesn't mean someone else can't have it etc. They charged you enough for it, don't let the capitalists melt your brain. Food is an existential requirement and profoundly more valuable than warhammer software.

While broadly true, games are actually chronically undervalued to meet market expectations and require extensive amount of unpaid labor to get done in a "reasonable" timeframe. We absolutely should be paying more for games, and this is part of the reason why microtransaction and the games as a service model is becoming so dominant: it actually generates the revenue required to operate and continuously invest in games. Even the "well compensated" positions are chronically underpaid when compared to the same position elsewhere in tech or wherever.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run?
You better believe I'm summoning the Elector Counts.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

TaintedBalance posted:

While broadly true, games are actually chronically undervalued to meet market expectations and require extensive amount of unpaid labor to get done in a "reasonable" timeframe. We absolutely should be paying more for games, and this is part of the reason why microtransaction and the games as a service model is becoming so dominant: it actually generates the revenue required to operate and continuously invest in games. Even the "well compensated" positions are chronically underpaid when compared to the same position elsewhere in tech or wherever.

Sure but a game costing more to the consumer doesn't always tranalate to better compensation for the developers. Most of the big corporations at least operate at a huge profit but they'll still can entire studios for a flop, nevermind giving everyone big fat raises. I do still generally agree that, given the nightmare conditions (by keyboard toucher standards that is) of the gaming industry the products seem grossly undervalued for the toll they take in time and mental health.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TaintedBalance posted:

it would be nice if the extra revenue generated went to actual developers

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

meta critic score not high enough, sorry, management is eating the bonuses this round

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TaintedBalance posted:

I would very much disagree. It is true that large studio AAA games currently require unreasonable and mostly unpaid crunch. That doesn't mean games are under-costed. The reason developers are crunching isn't that games are too cheap; it's that the studio/publisher bosses have figured out that is the most profitable way to run their businesses, and they can get away with it due to terrible labor laws and lack of unionization. Trust me, no CEO would turn down the opportunity to raise prices if they thought it would make them more money, they've just found the 60ish dollar range to be the sweet spot. Even if they did raise prices, I can guarantee you it would not be a tied to a wage increase.

The same goes for abusive and exploitative F2P/MTX monetization models. It's not some poor studio desperately trying to make ends meet, it's pure profit maximization without giving a poo poo about trampling over people with latent gambling addictions.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm all for concrete info and tidbits. What gets me is when the "info" that is being "dumped" is leaks that are 75% fake from dubious sources, leading to endless conjecture.

Oh, if you’re not talking about the officially released stuff then sure. GBoG puts out a lot of trash.

Trillhouse posted:

You better believe I'm summoning the Elector Counts.

Karl’s campaign still is probably top 10 for being the most fun, and getting Kislev, less competition for the Vampire Counts, Ogres, and probably some Chaos within the Empire is going to make it that much better. The only reasonI’m passing on him right now is that I’m waiting for Boris to pop up as an internal rival first.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Volkmar and Ghorst seem like nice starts if the new faction mechanics are cool. Also if Festus starts in Brass Keep then holy moly that's my first pick.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just put together that Lords of Change were probably inspired by the Skeksis.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm thinking either Sigvald or Volkmar for my first campaign.

I'm going to laugh my rear end off of Volkmar's equipment quests still demand he spends multiple turns sacking Kislev.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Probably Kairos. I'm curious to see how his powers scale to the global map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm thinking either Sigvald or Volkmar for my first campaign.

I'm going to laugh my rear end off of Volkmar's equipment quests still demand he spends multiple turns sacking Kislev.

The big hope is that they spent all this time developing IE to rework the game 1 lord quests to something that people won't want to mod off immediately.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

Oh, if you’re not talking about the officially released stuff then sure. GBoG puts out a lot of trash.

GBoG is an inverse confirmation. He puts out so many loving videos every day that ultimately the only thing that matters is what he DOESN'T talk about, because that's probably covered by an NDA and he literally cannot make another video without getting slammed by lawyers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeathSandwich posted:

Considering they are giving him a unique mechanic that he did not have before, I think we're safe.

I hope.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ultimately changing the quest lines around shouldn't be THAT much work unless they are also changing the battles and battle maps too.

Box of text.
Condition to achieve.
Optional middle battle.
Maybe 2 choices or another condition to achieve.
Big Boss Battle with option to teleport directly there.

Bam, you got a legendary lord quest all finished up.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ultimately changing the quest lines around shouldn't be THAT much work unless they are also changing the battles and battle maps too.

Box of text.
Condition to achieve.
Optional middle battle.

you forgot the army showing up behind your army

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Box of text.
Condition to achieve.
Optional middle battle.

They're not even that complex in WH3, so if they upgrade him to that standard it wont be so bad.

Twigand Berries posted:

you forgot the army showing up behind your army
Repeatedly.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TaintedBalance posted:

Absolutely not no. Wrong wrong wrong. The conditions and pay of game developers are currently disconnected from the rate of profit that your typical Warhammer 3 sized game is likely to make. You're wrong and devs have to organise to get their piece of the pie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TaintedBalance posted:

are you real?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Just change Volkmars quest from sacking Kislev to sacking various chaos factions in the southlands. Punch Skarbrand for a nice hat etc.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

TaintedBalance posted:

The execs at EA and Ubisoft thank you for your service.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
My first campaign will be starting up a campaign for a lord, looking at all the skill and stat changes, and then doing so for the next lord until I’ve looked at every one of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TaintedBalance posted:

Large amounts of the money video games pull in isn't going to compensating the developers for their labor or ensuring livable working conditions for them, it's going into shareholder dividends and fat bonus checks for millionaire executives. If you raised the price of games by $20 the developers themselves wouldn't see any meaningful difference in compensation or conditions because the problem isn't that they aren't making enough money, it's that that money is being siphoned off by management and shareholders.

If I could pay an extra $10 for a new game and be guaranteed that that price increase would directly help to translate into some poor dev not having to crunch themselves to death, then yeah, I'd pay it, but that extra $10 is going to go into some shareholder check.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What the gently caress. Grave guard who are quite a staple and good unit gets magic attacks but slayers, long beards, hammerers, and ironbreakers don't? Why wouldn't slayers and hammerers get it at the very least? It just feels like someone's got a favorite army so they buffed grave guard without changing any other factions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the extent of modifications to the undead I had assumed they had just done them first and haven't done the others much yet.

But I entirely agree that it should go in the book regardless, not like the blood of the high king ever runs out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

orangelex44 posted:

It's not like I will ever not play Kroqstar, but now that the southlands has gone from being Khalida-->Queek-->Badlands hellwar for trade route access to "final minutes of a superjail episode" I don't see how I'll ever get bored. I'll also be able to trade with all my Lizardbros from lights out.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 19, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Eh, my last VC campaign was pretty painful, I'm happy with them getting buffed across the board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Grave guard, once upon a time, all had magic weapons in WHFB. Not in 8th for some reason, but there's history there. They should've had magic weapons all along.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arghy posted:

What the gently caress. Grave guard who are quite a staple and good unit gets magic attacks but slayers, long beards, hammerers, and ironbreakers don't? Why wouldn't slayers and hammerers get it at the very least? It just feels like someone's got a favorite army so they buffed grave guard without changing any other factions.

If I had to guess, it's because the dawi have a lot of killing potential and, ultimately, that 20% physical resist on demons doesn't matter versus an organ gun or 20. Since VC is all melee, CA probably reasoned that they needed it more.

I don't think the dawi are going to have too much trouble killing demons, but obviously Slayers should have magic damage because killing big scary things is their entire deal. Hammerers probably should as well, because Hammerers are weirdly impotent as far as great weapon infantry goes (plus they're supposed to be the bodyguards of the king, right? Pretty sure they'd get the best gear.) It's just weird to me that those two units don't get it.

Alternatively, give the dawi a rune that imbues magical attacks to units in an AOE. Not OP because of the rune cooldown, SUPER thematic for them, and you can roll it into an existing rune and not have to worry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly the bigger worry for dwarves I think is going to be ghosts. Literally everything they have is inside a tin can and they're shooting heavy so missile and physical resist is always useful as is being able to close range quickly.

Hard to imagine a reason to bring anything but as many ghosts as possible when fighting dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Kanos posted:

Large amounts of the money video games pull in isn't going to compensating the developers for their labor or ensuring livable working conditions for them, it's going into shareholder dividends and fat bonus checks for millionaire executives. If you raised the price of games by $20 the developers themselves wouldn't see any meaningful difference in compensation or conditions because the problem isn't that they aren't making enough money, it's that that money is being siphoned off by management and shareholders.

If I could pay an extra $10 for a new game and be guaranteed that that price increase would directly help to translate into some poor dev not having to crunch themselves to death, then yeah, I'd pay it, but that extra $10 is going to go into some shareholder check.

I'll quickly respond to this one since it wasn't dickish and this seems to have hit a chord: I directly work in the video game industry and have worked my way up the ladder over time. I help operate teams and run P&Ls. Yes, too much of the profit goes to execs and shareholders. Yes, the workers should unionize and organize to actually get their fair cut of the pie. And yes, games are too cheap for the work involved in them and the amount of expected (and actual) revenue coming in does directly impact worker compensation. Does 10% more rev = 10% more pay for workers? No. Does it mean that I can argue additional hires or it effects the bonus structure (for places with competent bonus structures)? Yes, it absolutely does.

The conditions of labor and the share of earnings going to developers will not be solved in one stroke of the box price going up, but it will effect the conditions of their labor and sharing in the fruits of their labor, broadly.