Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, Fury was only supposed to use the beeper in a global super emergency! New York and Sokovia are just single areas and not the whole world!

I think the official explanation for New York is that the battle was over in a couple hours. For Ultron, I don't think they even bother trying to explain it. Fury was supposed to be dead at that point, so maybe he left the beeper in his locker at work at couldn't get it back until the janitor gave him his key back after Civil War?

seriously they couldn't come up with anything? she was just loving around for 30 years? also, she probably could've been the one to do the Endgame snap considering Energy-absorbtion is her whole thing but I'm just pedantic now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
One of the big similarities between the comics and the movies, especially when it comes to "why wasn't so-and-so there?" is don't fuckin worry about it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

seriously they couldn't come up with anything? she was just loving around for 30 years? also, she probably could've been the one to do the Endgame snap considering Energy-absorbtion is her whole thing but I'm just pedantic now

Some other planet had an even worse Ultron at that time. Quit being so Earth-centric, it's pedestrian.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

One of the big similarities between the comics and the movies, especially when it comes to "why wasn't so-and-so there?" is don't fuckin worry about it.

And the answer is almost always "They were in space".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mean, Fury didn't even call in Carol for the Infinity War incident until *after* billions of people started turning to dust en masse. It's at least consistent that his threshold is pretty crazy high.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
On L+T, specifically on Gorr I feel there’s a missing scene about why Gorr changes plans. First he is killing gods, and the distress call thing suggests it’s both new and he’s doing really well chopping them up with his sword and shadow monsters. All of which happens offscreen, which sucks, but whatever.

Then he suddenly changes to hunting Thor because he wants Stormbreaker to open the bifrost so he can get a magic wish to do a “no more gods” House of G move. But we never see when he learns of Eternity, why he decides to stop his already successful godslaying, and it feels like there should be a god murder session where he’s getting pissed off at the pace, and maybe a god tries to bargain for their life by giving up the info on Eternity.

Still don’t like he then goes for luring Thor into a trap when just keep on attacking him directly would be much more productive, but eh comic books. But the more I think about the film, the more I feel it needs that extra god murder/change of plans scene to flesh out what Gorr is doing.

Doesn’t help that Thor’s plan is to recruit gods to help fight (valid) but then he decides that just taking Zeus’ thunderbolt would be enough. Bitch please, you literally crafted Stormbreaker as a Thanos killing weapon and now you already want to get another new toy instead?

I like the film, but both protagonist and antagonist both separately finding out about Eternity by accident and making it their goal feels a little scruffy and aimless. Just a bit of tighter writing and a couple of scenes changed and this would have all come together so much better I feel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Parkingtigers posted:

On L+T, specifically on Gorr I feel there’s a missing scene about why Gorr changes plans. First he is killing gods, and the distress call thing suggests it’s both new and he’s doing really well chopping them up with his sword and shadow monsters. All of which happens offscreen, which sucks, but whatever.

Then he suddenly changes to hunting Thor because he wants Stormbreaker to open the bifrost so he can get a magic wish to do a “no more gods” House of G move. But we never see when he learns of Eternity, why he decides to stop his already successful godslaying, and it feels like there should be a god murder session where he’s getting pissed off at the pace, and maybe a god tries to bargain for their life by giving up the info on Eternity.

Still don’t like he then goes for luring Thor into a trap when just keep on attacking him directly would be much more productive, but eh comic books. But the more I think about the film, the more I feel it needs that extra god murder/change of plans scene to flesh out what Gorr is doing.

Doesn’t help that Thor’s plan is to recruit gods to help fight (valid) but then he decides that just taking Zeus’ thunderbolt would be enough. Bitch please, you literally crafted Stormbreaker as a Thanos killing weapon and now you already want to get another new toy instead?

I like the film, but both protagonist and antagonist both separately finding out about Eternity by accident and making it their goal feels a little scruffy and aimless. Just a bit of tighter writing and a couple of scenes changed and this would have all come together so much better I feel.

He cracks the secret to eternity in the first scene of him in the shadow dimension. He stops killing individual gods because he can get all of them at once with eternity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fangz posted:

I mean, Fury didn't even call in Carol for the Infinity War incident until *after* billions of people started turning to dust en masse. It's at least consistent that his threshold is pretty crazy high.

tbf there's no indication Fury had any idea what was going on until that last teaser

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

"Why didn't they use thing from y movie to solve x movie problem from earlier" is the most boring nitpick. Trying to imagine which is worse, a three minute scene of some character grilling Carol about where she was during Ultron ("I don't even know when that was. We don't use Earth's calendar in space. I was probably fighting Deathbird or J'son or something") or just having a little yellow box in the bottom corner of the screen all "Captain Marvel wasn't in Age of Ultron because we hadn't cast her yet!" -Smilin' Stan Frownin' Feige.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 18, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

He cracks the secret to eternity in the first scene of him in the shadow dimension. He stops killing individual gods because he can get all of them at once with eternity.

Am I forgetting something? I only remember Gorr murking the first god, then talk about him killing stuff, then him showing up at Asgard. Shadow Dimension only happens after he’s stolen the Asgard kids and is already hunting Thor because reasons. There was no “oh, this’ll be so much quicker” scene for him, even implied.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Parkingtigers posted:

Am I forgetting something? I only remember Gorr murking the first god, then talk about him killing stuff, then him showing up at Asgard. Shadow Dimension only happens after he’s stolen the Asgard kids and is already hunting Thor because reasons. There was no “oh, this’ll be so much quicker” scene for him, even implied.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Jane see the notes and research and imply that he had been working on it and recently figured it out?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Jane see the notes and research and imply that he had been working on it and recently figured it out?

Yeah, that’s later in the movie. Again it goes back to “yes he did this… but offscreen” and I guess I just feel it was just one of many things that would have improved the movie had I seen these things happen rather than be told that at some point they had happened (sources: trust me).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that a criticism or a preference? You want to know why the villain is doing what they're doing as they're doing it. We know something is up when a guy known for killing starts kidnapping, we wait to find out why later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From the movie we know that Gorr figured it out but seemingly didn't know how to find Thor or get his attention.

He comes across Sif, and his next target ends up being New Asgard. So something clicked, but we don't see it no.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

When Gorr first picks up the Necrosword he has a series of visions that includes Eternity and the Bifrost.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

When Gorr first picks up the Necrosword he has a series of visions that includes Eternity and the Bifrost.

Yeah, I think it's implied that Gorr's plan is as influenced by the sword itself as it is his personal tragedy, as shown by the various times it whispers to him. It's notable that at the end, when he does reach Eternity, it's after the sword had been destroyed, and it's only then that he actually considers another wish.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, the most likely place for Hercules to pop up next is probably a theoretical Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts movie, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, the most likely place for Hercules to pop up next is probably a theoretical Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts movie, right?
Probably

Which I have to think will be announced at D23

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Okay wow. Just got back from Love and Thunder, and speaking and someone who always thought Ragnarok was kinda overrated...I think L&T blows it completely out of the water. This might actually be one of my favorite MCU films ever. It would outright be, if not for the fact that I think they whiffed the ending a little bit? Which is weird 'cuz everyone's like "the last act is so satisfying" so I guess I'm just the oddball here.

The thing is that...look. I make a lot of fun of Jason Aaron nowadays. His recent output has been hmmm uhhhh weell yyyeah somewhat little bit questionable. But his handling of the Jane Foster the Mighty Thor storyline? Amazing. Especially the epic finale of it all, which was such a well-crafted resolution to everything.

And the way that the movie does it just...really doesn't hit those notes for me. What's so great about the comics finale for Jane-Thor is how they make it clear that the braver choice isn't to throw your own life away in some heroic sacrifice; the more courageous choice is to live. To fight for yourself. Going through the boring mundane cancer treatment takes more strength and bravery than to fly off into reckless battle every chance you get just because your days might be numbered. Even when Jane is ultimately forced to be that reckless hero and to make that typical heroic sacrifice, she's also given the second chance to continue fighting the harder battle of just beating the cancer day by day, step by painful step.

And the movie...sort of?...has a bit of that, but everything else about it is just kinda aping the standard heroic last stand. The tragedy that Jane is robbed of the chance to fight the true battle of her life because she's forced to come to the rescue really doesn't come through; instead, it's mostly just bad that Jane has to be Thor that last time because Man-Thor will be sad when she dies.
And it's not terrible, but it's not...the other thing. Seriously, enough romanticizing the heroic self-sacrifice. Romanticize the heroic act of living.

All that said though, Thor and Jane were two of my favs back in the day, all the way through the original film and The Dark World when everyone was being wrong about them not having chemistry :v:, so a ton of this film was a great treat for me.

That's funny. In the Thor thread I went on about how I thought the Jane story in the comics (this is from the original Mighty Thor run) didn't hit as hard as this movie due to Jane living. But I can see your point about Jane deciding to fight her cancer being the braver choice.

I still think the greater message, about life being fleeting and therefore you have to choose what you love best, and in Jane's case, helping others, really is a good one though. It's less a heroic sacrifice than a decision to spend what life is remaining the best you can. Maybe I like it so much because I thought the movie was going to make the easy decision to have her cancer solved by super magic/science.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I'm honestly glad they avoided the 'magic cure' route and instead may have something different going on with that character going forward, if the comics are a guide

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

this and discussion like this is so boring to me. Where are the other heroes? I don't care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

"Why didn't they use thing from y movie to solve x movie problem from earlier" is the most boring nitpick. Trying to imagine which is worse, a three minute scene of some character grilling Carol about where she was during Ultron ("I don't even know when that was. We don't use Earth's calendar in space. I was probably fighting Deathbird or J'son or something") or just having a little yellow box in the bottom corner of the screen all "Captain Marvel wasn't in Age of Ultron because we hadn't cast her yet!" -Smilin' Stan Frownin' Feige.

When people think of nitpicks like this, imagine them being said by the CinemaSins guy with a ding sound. You won't ever care again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

But, Fury was only supposed to use the beeper in a global super emergency! New York and Sokovia are just single areas and not the whole world!

I think the official explanation for New York is that the battle was over in a couple hours. For Ultron, I don't think they even bother trying to explain it. Fury was supposed to be dead at that point, so maybe he left the beeper in his locker at work at couldn't get it back until the janitor gave him his key back after Civil War?

Fury only ends up calling Carol when he himself dies. And he kind of saves the day in Ultron, so maybe the emergency was just a situation he wouldn't be around to fix.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Thor 5, no? They seemed to be setting up a showdown. Plus, having him show up in the Thunderbolts movie would require a lot of exposition.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Other than the obvious real world reason why Captain Marvel didn't show up in earlier movies, Fury is not going to call her unless he's pretty sure she can get there in time before things are resolved. Otherwise he's going to be the boy who cried wolf and she stops paying attention to the pager.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

theironjef posted:

On the other hand, this is kind of the exact thing that people love about the MCU. They love how interconnected it is and how they're putting dozens of different movies in the same universe and they all have to rub up against each other. I pretty much agree with you and it's a part of why I find the current Marvel stuff more exhausting to keep up with, but people go nuts for characters referencing events they weren't part of or having a reaction to something that wasn't in their movies or bringing in forgotten poo poo from years ago. Based on No Way Home and MoM it seems like Feige is happy to lean into it too. I guarantee you that legions of fans want that 3 minute scene.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Thor 4 was a mediocre movie. Too many quips.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
All these dead gods probably should've come up on Carol's radar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

Fury only ends up calling Carol when he himself dies. And he kind of saves the day in Ultron, so maybe the emergency was just a situation he wouldn't be around to fix.

Thor 5, no? They seemed to be setting up a showdown. Plus, having him show up in the Thunderbolts movie would require a lot of exposition.

I mean having half the characters that are theorized for the Thunderbolts movie are gonna require a good bit of exposition so why not one more?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Maybe. Both Taika and Hemsworth said that “Thor will return” tag was news to them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I mean having half the characters that are theorized for the Thunderbolts movie are gonna require a good bit of exposition so why not one more?

There's so many villains/anti-heroes already in the wind. Walker, Yelena and Agnes are good to go and Abomination probably will be after She-Hulk and then you've got characters like Ghost and Taskmaster who can catch up quickly.

If nothing else, Goldstein's going to need time to bulk up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe. Both Taika and Hemsworth said that “Thor will return” tag was news to them.

Yeah thor 4 seemed like an end to his story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Has anyone gone through and figured out how many post-credit teases have actually been paid off?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think another thing I'm getting tired of with the mcu is all the epic offscreen adventures.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
They don't specify which Thor

Lobok posted:

Other than the obvious real world reason why Captain Marvel didn't show up in earlier movies, Fury is not going to call her unless he's pretty sure she can get there in time before things are resolved. Otherwise he's going to be the boy who cried wolf and she stops paying attention to the pager.

"What's the emergency, Nick?"
"I need this pickle jar opened."
"A *pickle* jar?"
"The lid's on *really* tight."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's actually a small "frog" before the word Thor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Has anyone gone through and figured out how many post-credit teases have actually been paid off?
For this Phase? The only one I can think of is the one in Black Widow leading into the Hawkeye show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

For this Phase? The only one I can think of is the one in Black Widow leading into the Hawkeye show.

I meant in general but the end of Wandavision leads directly into MoM.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

live with fruit posted:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Post-credits_Scenes

Here's a list. Going through it seems like early on yes, later it gets kind of mixed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They used to go pretty much movie to movie with the stingers so it was easier, this phase definitely seems to be where they decided to tease stuff that will go years without resolution. OTOH I feel like they have better long term planning now so we won't get as much "fine, I'll do it myself" situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lobok posted:

It’s also easy enough to say Fury wouldn’t call her unless he really did think it was the last straw. As hairy as NY or Sokovia were he had the Avengers and SHIELD acting. It’s a judgment call. Maybe he made the wrong one. Maybe there’s an untold story why he’s so hesitant to call her. But people just straight up melting into dust including himself is a reasonable enough worst case scenario for Fury.

But as everyone else said, the reason is they hadn’t made the movie and character yet and we all know that and if you can’t suspend a little disbelief to play along what are we doing here?