Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Comedy option it’s a non boost wheel in a boost frame.

I was thinking 'axle too long and bottoming out on the end of the threads'. Should be obvious though. Maxles have the length written on them usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

pinarello dogman posted:

I was thinking 'axle too long and bottoming out on the end of the threads'. Should be obvious though. Maxles have the length written on them usually.

Actually this would make the most sense now that I think about it, the loosening up in its own, the breaking right at the start of the threads, if it’s not something janky with the frame from the factory I bet this is it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wouldn't your shifting be really janky if the DS side rear triangle were loose and yawing around?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't your shifting be really janky if the DS side rear triangle were loose and yawing around?

That is how my buddy remembers he hasn't tightened his in a few rides should he forget.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

I wonder if the frame is off and the dropouts aren’t aligned.

Thought about this. I have sliding dropouts and have tested this by attempting to install the thru axle without a wheel, tightening it and then loosening the adjustable sliders and re-torquing everything. I also have the dropouts adjusted as far rear as possible to eliminate that variable.

e.pilot posted:

Comedy option it’s a non boost wheel in a boost frame.

I wish the frame was boost as it would be a lot easier to swap wheels between my two bikes.

pinarello dogman posted:

e.pilot posted:

Actually this would make the most sense now that I think about it, the loosening up in its own, the breaking right at the start of the threads, if it’s not something janky with the frame from the factory I bet this is it.

Thought about this as well since the frame didn't come with an axle when I bought it. Went through the Robert's Axle Project website and have since tried a few lengths. The 175mm is just about perfect with the threads reaching all the way through the dropout without sticking out and the head bottoming out correctly.

kimbo305 posted:

I will notice my rear wheel feeling like the hub preload is off and my tire will feel like it's squirming more.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

spwrozek posted:

That is how my buddy remembers he hasn't tightened his in a few rides should he forget.

I had super weird shifting today and my axle was loose and b-bolt was half backed out. I'd Checked them last ride too. Weird. I wish i could blame that on crashing but nah it was all me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good deal on Freerider Pros at Jenson USA right now ($88 w/ free shipping). Black/yellow and grey available in most sizes. https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-...RBoCEaMQAvD_BwE

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Good deal on Freerider Pros at Jenson USA right now ($88 w/ free shipping). Black/yellow and grey available in most sizes. https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-...RBoCEaMQAvD_BwE

Fantastic shoes, really a lot nicer than the earlier version freeriders.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I spent Sunday at a TORCA trail day helping get a vandalized trail running again. Someone had chainsawed all the wood features making it unsafe and unrideable. Don't know for sure who did it but all evidence makes it look like it was retaliation for the landowner bulldozing another trail in the area. It was cool to see 50 people turn out and work hard to get it up and running again.

For my part I spent the day making a pile of rocks to reshape a section of the trail and make a roller the a line. The rocks in the background with a board leaning on them are the eventual lip for an optional hip jump but that will be finished another day.

Rocks are heavy and the amount of buckets of gold this took to fill in was pretty crazy. My computer toucher body will be feeling this for a while.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

spwrozek posted:

Good lookin out. They also have cheap smith squad goggles I've been meaning to pick up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boogalo posted:

Good lookin out. They also have cheap smith squad goggles I've been meaning to pick up.

I got the Smith Attack Mag for cheap recently. pretty drat nice.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Any recommendations on lightweight, short sleeve mountain bike jerseys? Now I wear some of my road stuff (too constrictive) or random "athletic wear". I'm looking for something not too baggy.

Not being plastered in goofy logos is a big plus.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

marsisol posted:

Any recommendations on lightweight, short sleeve mountain bike jerseys? Now I wear some of my road stuff (too constrictive) or random "athletic wear". I'm looking for something not too baggy.

Imo you really gotta go in to a shop and try a bunch on. Most shops will have 50% noname jerseys so no worries about finding something without logos.

I've had good luck with Troy Lee Designs stuff and fox stuff. Also Sombrio.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been getting UPF rated poly shirts on amazon. They're cheap and just come in colors unless you want jersey features like back pockets.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Hand up has good Hawaiian short sleeve jerseys if you don't mind a button up. Their regular short sleeve jerseys are also good.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Generally you shouldn't use it for something that has a torque spec and you expect to be installing and uninstalling a lot, it can change the resistance under tightening and result in undertorque. As I understand it.

Should I be more careful with torque spec on my MTB and road thru axles? I've always just hand tightened them. Is there a large effect on beating preload? Even on cartridge bearings?

marsisol posted:

I just picked up a bunch of short and long sleeve REI hiking shirts. Simple colors and no glaring TLD logos. And they're half the price of every MTB brand jersey that I've seen.

https://www.rei.com/product/163975/rei-co-op-sahara-t-shirt-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/163977/rei-co-op-sahara-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens

Edit: They're also UPF 30 which is nice.

Edit2: Fixed all my horrible typos after being quoted.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 18, 2022

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

marsisol posted:

I'm a fan of the HandUp Jersey
https://handupgloves.com/collections/short-sleeve-jersey

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I kind of just want to only buy wool stuff now. poly is just so smelly.

I use the Patagonia Capilene Cool Trail Shirt but they are really not as order resistant as they claim.

I am curious to grab something with NuYarn though.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 18, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

marsisol posted:

Only buy jerseys and socks on vacation (or from the bearpope thread). They're overpriced relative to other non-sport clothes, might as well make sure yours look cool and say that you're a cool person who bikes places

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885509&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

I kind of just want to only buy wool stuff now. poly is just so smelly.

Tide sport seems to make mine smell like laundry detergent instead of BO.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I know it's not mountain biker style, but this jersey is really nice for $15
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V5G342X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Should I be more cafefule with tourque spec on my MTB and road thru axels? I've always just hand tightened them. Is there a large effect on beating preload? Even on cartidge breaings?

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer but I would tighten it to torque spec and see what that feels like, then just replicate it in the future without the torque wrench. I have all the equipment to torque things properly and I still do an extra 10% so I'm not worrying about it. I also use antiseize on nearly every bolt which would result in an overtorque if I did it to the printed spec. I really just think about the materials, think about the purpose of the fastener, and tighten things to a reasonable degree. Of course the proper way is to use a torque wrench 100% of the time.

I don't think that you actually put a compressive force through the bearing when you tighten an axle on a modern bike. Especially if it's a cone washer situation or whatnot where you preload the hub bearings that way. I could be way off I only see my own gear.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

VelociBacon posted:

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer but I would tighten it to torque spec and see what that feels like, then just replicate it in the future without the torque wrench. I have all the equipment to torque things properly and I still do an extra 10% so I'm not worrying about it. I also use antiseize on nearly every bolt which would result in an overtorque if I did it to the printed spec.

Why so? Does anti seize affect the torque differently than grease? I feel like all torque specs on bikes take into account things being greased and aren’t for dry torque

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

Why so? Does anti seize affect the torque differently than grease? I feel like all torque specs on bikes take into account things being greased and aren’t for dry torque

I don't think the torque specs account for anything that lubricates the threads. Maybe I'm wrong, if so I feel vindicated for overtorquing relative to spec.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spwrozek posted:

:shepspends:

thanks

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think the torque specs account for anything that lubricates the threads. Maybe I'm wrong, if so I feel vindicated for overtorquing relative to spec.

If they don't that's dumb as hell since nearly everything tells you to grease threads and also has a torque spec

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dog Case posted:

If they don't that's dumb as hell since nearly everything tells you to grease threads and also has a torque spec

If that's the case then sure the torque specs are for that. Are they communicating that in a manual somewhere?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Just googling really quick and the first actual manufacturer manual I found is Surly telling you to grease threads and torque to spec higher than what's on my non-Surly axles. So I'd guess any spec around 15nm is probably greased?

Edit: Oh wait that's their weird axle with internal threads and separate bolt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VelociBacon posted:

If that's the case then sure the torque specs are for that. Are they communicating that in a manual somewhere?

I can only speak from experience on this, but all Santa Cruz tech sheets tell you where to apply grease, loctite and the torque values. It's pretty handy.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think that you actually put a compressive force through the bearing when you tighten an axle on a modern bike. Especially if it's a cone washer situation or whatnot where you preload the hub bearings that way. I could be way off I only see my own gear.

Shouldn't affect preload as there is a solid stack of spacers/axle steps between all the inner races of the bearings that you are compressing, and often a tiny shim between the freehub and hub body bearings. If your wheel has more drag after you tighten it check if the shim has exploded (happened to me on a few hubs)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Are mountain bikers people though? :psyduck:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That makes me more upset than it should, but I just had to hose dog poo poo from my front tire after my last ride. Dogs need to be banned from multi-use trails because too many of their owners are selfish assholes who won't clean up after their pet. I shouldn't be so excited when one is actually leashed, but that's been my experience locally.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mashed posted:

Are mountain bikers people though? :psyduck:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgE-gu7A7D-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Buddy sent me this yesterday. :nms: censored shitter :nms:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's just grass ?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I finally switched to tubeless. Riding around the block, watching my rear tire, it's running slightly wider/flatter with the same pressure than when the tube was in. That makes me a bit nervous.

Holy poo poo (lol), the least he can do is hog down a couple of feet away of the drat track.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I've been curious ever since someone linked this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sKhKi9Bcc

Actual physicist Seb Stott explains: Why Shorter Cranks Are Better (According To Science)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The commitment to not even getting off the trail at all is kinda impressive.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I finally switched to tubeless. Riding around the block, watching my rear tire, it's running slightly wider/flatter with the same pressure than when the tube was in. That makes me a bit nervous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mashed posted:

The commitment to not even getting off the trail at all is kinda impressive.

Sometimes you just gotta drop trou and go I guess?

In other news, my buddy and I built a jump today, now I want to start an advocacy group and get some cyclist representation in our city with a bike park :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's quite a jump, is that on private land or is it already torn down ?