Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

Isn't that the point of this discussion? That you have very different machine needs when you're a daily player who isn't sweaty enough to leave the computer on overnight. You'll tend to crank every blocking production up to 11, compared to someone playing on an always-up server, because you have essentially 10 times less passive income.

Edit: and that's annoying to need to do, I left unsaid
Stuff like this is why I wish machines would consolidate more. For the sake of server performance and logistical space, I wish I could just cram 10 of the same machine into one block and have it just go 10x while only doing the server ticks of one machine. GT is pretty good about this, as machines tier up, but it's not enough. It's like Ex Nihilo sifting vs compressed or mass sifting.
Basically I hate parallelization and any modpack that expects me to make 20 of the same processing machine side by side (and some ask WAY more than that) is getting kicked to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Stuff like this is why I wish machines would consolidate more. For the sake of server performance and logistical space, I wish I could just cram 10 of the same machine into one block and have it just go 10x while only doing the server ticks of one machine. GT is pretty good about this, as machines tier up, but it's not enough. It's like Ex Nihilo sifting vs compressed or mass sifting.
Basically I hate parallelization and any modpack that expects me to make 20 of the same processing machine side by side (and some ask WAY more than that) is getting kicked to the curb.

This is precisely why the Processing Array multiblock exists in GTNH. You can put up to 64 single block machines inside, and as long as you provide a commensurate amount of power for all of them, it'll operate 64 of the recipes that block can do in parallel without the lag of running 64 separate machines.

Here's one of mine from my old save. It's the blue 3x3x3 cube. This one processes AE2 paint balls into IC2 scrap for UUA/UUM production; there's 64 recyclers inside. Sadly, they nerfed those Long Distance Fluid Pipelines to require a minimum length, so you can't cheese matter condensers with them any more. They murdered my boy and I am sad :(

There's also "mega" multiblocks that work the same way for the EBF, vacuum freezer, and distillation tower. I think in the latest dev release they also added a mega chemical reactor, but I haven't used it so I don't know how well it parallels. There are also the GT++ line of multiblocks that provide similar parallels, but at a smaller scale and at lower power requirements.

Megas are, uh, big. I had to put them on the roof of my factory :v:

This has been yet another one of my posts gushing about GTNH. I can't help myself.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought processing arrays can only use 16 machines despite accepting a stack. I think I confirmed that on their Discord too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought processing arrays can only use 16 machines despite accepting a stack. I think I confirmed that on their Discord too.

I'm talking about a different pack; the 1.7.10 pack Gregtech: New Horizons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I remember something about a user-made "condensed" version of some machines that was on the Discord as well, I'll see if I can dig that up. Something like compressed DMLs for certain common things, since those end up taking a huge amount of space and processing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This has been yet another one of my posts gushing about GTNH. I can't help myself.

More GTNH posts! I'm going yo start it after Create Above & Beyond and need to get myself psyched!

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Im just dwadling around the end of MV atm.

Ive set up 1 line of HV machines but then look at the quests and realise i need to set 10 different systems for this 1 item. And i have no idea how much of this item i will need.

SO i can see why people bail at HV.

Then there is the looking for stuff.

Platnium.... yeah either buy it with coins or loot fabricate the plat coins i guess. But ive just got my simu/loot chambers running positive again, adding more means i need to just double my set up again. .... Its just 3 steps back, one forward

Plat has a few ways you can get it iirc but the least complicated is just DML plat coins and melt them into ingots. I hope you took Rocko's advice and left plenty of room for your DML to grow because it should just be a simple throwing down a couple sims and a fab, and then maybe add another enderman sim for your polymer clay loop. If you were only doing the bare minimum to make the polymer clay you might need to up your production of a few of the intermediate steps too and if so take the time to massively overproduce them so you don't run into the same problem next time you have to put down more sims.

The alternatives for platinum are byproducts of iridium ore and purifying nickle ore; Centrifuging endstone dust for tiny piles; or I think a few chemical bath processing steps.

HV in the quest book throws a lot of things at you and its not clear what order you should take them on or how much you need to build it out vs how much you can squeak by with a tiny bit and unlock a better way just down the line. A few of the steps are easy like HV assembler since that's just putting all the parts you've made together. On the other hand the line from HV assembler it also says to use the HV assembler to make the next level of circuits but to do that you need epoxy which looks like it takes the entire top right third of the page.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Impermanent posted:

More GTNH posts! I'm going yo start it after Create Above & Beyond and need to get myself psyched!

Sure.

GTNH's a unique modpack because despite being stuck in 1.7.10 (an 8 year old release), it sees actual code development every day. New mods are being developed right now, and a tremendous amount of work has been put in to make the pack as performant as possible. There's even custom content for existing mods. For example: here's a 16 slot pattern terminal, intended for use on endgame recipes.

and so on. Some more screenshots:

That being said, there are some rough edges. You should some of these down; others require a degree of attention to detail that most packs let you skip for the sake of being easy:

* Infernal Mobs and Special Mobs are in the pack. I highly recommend turning these mods off in single player. They can be freely disabled without affecting pack balance or the quest book.
* There's a pollution mechanic that I also recommend disabling; it's in config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg.
* There are failure states for mishandling things like boilers, electricity, and nuclear material. Most of them involve explosions. For example, if you add water to a hot but dry boiler, it will explode. Nuclear mishaps create very LARGE explosions.
* Bee and IC2 crop breeding are in the pack. They are a pathway to infinite resources. I do not recommend them; they are a HUGE timesink, obsoleted by a technology solution (void miners) in late-game, and you aren't truly limited by resource intake until about the 9th tier, UHV. Fortunately, they are completely optional.

GTNH definitely isn't for everyone. While it can be played casually, it does demand a certain type of personality. However, if you have that personality, nothing else will ever be able to sate you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Is that a custom mod? I remember the worst part of early GTNH being the hundred(s) of markers for what ores were where.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, my DML can expand sideays indefinetely.

It is the smelting sand to glass that seems to be the bottleneck. My LV side has 4 smelters and my MV side has about 2 or 3. And just cant keep up.

Im considering replacing the LV side with HV. But again, this is the 3 steps back to go 1 forward.

Another of my peeves is you have a rec for something (Those purple flux balls) JEI says just extract the enderman world data thing with an extractor.

Ok, So LV, doesnt work, MV, also doesnt work. And hey, what do you know, the HV one isnt doing it either. So 3 machines made to do a job they cant do :/

Is there any otehr chunk loader other than the one that looks like an eye and uses GP? Im about to head to the moon. lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

Is there any otehr chunk loader other than the one that looks like an eye and uses GP? Im about to head to the moon. lol

Top left corner of the inventory, click on the claimed chunks, control click + drag to claim, then shiftclick the chunks you want loaded. There's a limit by default that you can raise to whatever you want in the config.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rynoto posted:

Is that a mod? I remember the worst part of early GTNH being the hundred(s) of markers for what ores were where.

Yes, that's the Visual Prospecting mod. It has radically transformed early-game prospecting. It automatically marks any vein on the map that you find. It can receive data from the following sources:

* You right clicking on an ore block
* Your ore wand (late stone age tier)
* Reading a seismic prospecting book (LV+)
* Use of the early-game electric prospector (LV+)
* Use of the endgame electric prospector (LuV+)

It also works for the sub-bedrock magic fluid reservoirs you pump with the pump multiblock.

I added that "callisto" label to the screenshot after I took it so I could tell what planet it came from

It has the following features:
* Double click on a result to get a temporary waypoint
* Hover over a result and hit Delete to manually mark a vein as depleted (reversible)
* Type the name of an ore in NEI, double click the search bar to put it into highlight mode, and use that to filter the map

It's so, so, so good. Don't know how I played the pack without it before.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 17, 2022

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah, my DML can expand sideays indefinetely.

It is the smelting sand to glass that seems to be the bottleneck. My LV side has 4 smelters and my MV side has about 2 or 3. And just cant keep up.

Im considering replacing the LV side with HV. But again, this is the 3 steps back to go 1 forward.

Another of my peeves is you have a rec for something (Those purple flux balls) JEI says just extract the enderman world data thing with an extractor.

Ok, So LV, doesnt work, MV, also doesnt work. And hey, what do you know, the HV one isnt doing it either. So 3 machines made to do a job they cant do :/

MMMMM-MULTISMELTER! I ran into the same issue with keeping the glass full with so many electric furnaces before I realized a multismelter was literally made to fix it.

JEI is good but there are some issues with it. Nomifactory has a lot of materials from mods that you can make and make various plates and gears and pulverize but JEI makes it hard to figure out that none of that is actually used for anything.

Purple goo balls? Do you mean the quantum flux for microminer missions? While JEI shows all the types of extractors on the left if you look at the details it takes 3000 EU/t (IV) so it will only work in an IV or better machine.

Rynoto posted:

Top left corner of the inventory, click on the claimed chunks, control click + drag to claim, then shiftclick the chunks you want loaded. There's a limit by default that you can raise to whatever you want in the config.

I couldn't find the config that I was supposed to edit but I figured out you can raise it with admin commands. Once you go to lan with cheats its
/ranks set_permission player ftbutilities.claims.max_chunks <number>
and
/ranks set_permission player ftbutilities.chunkloader.max_chunks <number>

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rynoto posted:

omg, see i always thought claimed chunks where automatically loaded. Explains why someones porting back to base end in super lag.

Thats awesome.

LtSmash posted:

MMMMM-MULTISMELTER! I ran into the same issue with keeping the glass full with so many electric furnaces before I realized a multismelter was literally made to fix it.

JEI is good but there are some issues with it. Nomifactory has a lot of materials from mods that you can make and make various plates and gears and pulverize but JEI makes it hard to figure out that none of that is actually used for anything.

Purple goo balls? Do you mean the quantum flux for microminer missions? While JEI shows all the types of extractors on the left if you look at the details it takes 3000 EU/t (IV) so it will only work in an IV or better machine.

I couldn't find the config that I was supposed to edit but I figured out you can raise it with admin commands. Once you go to lan with cheats its
/ranks set_permission player ftbutilities.claims.max_chunks <number>
and
/ranks set_permission player ftbutilities.chunkloader.max_chunks <number>

Yeah, the multi smelter is something i havent made yet, And on the surface sounds awsome. But my base is already a rats nest of wires. Im finding 2 MV smelters seem to be keeping on top of the glass

And yes quantum flux, and i saw the power recquirements. So the voltage in has to be higher than the power requirement in order for it to work. Good to know.

My next question.

Everything needs oxygen. I have a wall of electrolyzers turning water into O and H. And its never enough. Im now needing to make methanol, and need 1k oxygen per craft. How do i get more oxygen?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I had a lot of problems with GTNH back in the day, though I obviously loved it enough to keep playing for a very long time.
Today, however, my main problem with GTNH is for an 8 year old pack it still runs terribly on my (since vastly upgraded) PC. Like, worse than it did when that pack came out, which is puzzling.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Everything needs oxygen. I have a wall of electrolyzers turning water into O and H. And its never enough. Im now needing to make methanol, and need 1k oxygen per craft. How do i get more oxygen?

I got a lot of extra oxygen from more aggressively electrolyzing all the dusts for everything. That just seemed to be enough somehow.

I know later on that I had to upgrade my water electrolysis with processing arrays to generate deuterium in particular. Making it from moon stuff had a higher yield but making it from water was much lazier.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One of my platinum setups was:
1. Crafting 4 sand into sandstone
2. Crafting 2 standstone, 1 ender pearl, 1 extraterrestrial matter into end stone
3. Macerate. MV tier x 2
4. this one sucks. Centrifuge into tiny platinum dust, small tungstate dust, 90% sand, and some helium. MV tier x 32

It doesn't run any more because it was mostly there to make tungstate and it was level emitted to shut down when I had enough. It also has an old drawer of netherrack dust, which might be an older recipe output?

Regarding oxygen: For physical substances: phosphorus pentoxide is a particularly bold source of oxygen: 14 dust for 10 buckets. It's a 5% byproduct of ashes, which you'll soon collect in bulk. But the real getter was centrifuging... air. You just run an air collector to get some air and then run it through.

For quantum flux, I think I mostly crafted them from pulsating crystals and extraterrestrial matter. ET matter is really common due to all the ender pearls and diamond generation from Deep Mob Learning. I don't know if I ever even did the impossible realm data recipe, and I was never short on quantum flux. Other people have had problems though. I think I got some advance warning and just had a fully-emerald-upgraded drawer that was stuffed to the gills well before I got there.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

My next question.

I started with centrifuging air but its painfully slow with how much O2 you need. I process stone dust to silicon dioxide to silicon powder for silicon which gives a good supply of oxygen. But I've been trying to tackle more chemistry and that got sucked up pretty fast. I needed hydrogen and ended up finding that you can make a closed loop of sodium dust + water = hydrogen & sodium hydroxide then electrolyze sodium hydroxide to get sodium, hydrogen, and oxygen. Its 7.2 seconds per electrolyze compared to 20 per craft centrifuging air at MV.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can absolutely do omni/nomifactory solo, I did and I didn't leave it running overnight. The largest bottleneck is going to be draconic crafting. For post-tank massive amounts of wire or plates or whatever you use processing arrays and MAX/ZPM inputs.

There are some things I wish were more signposted going in that makes people's life easier that isn't mentioned:

get yourself some glitch armor for early perma-flight
get a butchery knife for cows+sheep because it comes with innate looting for that early game leather needed for the hang glider
make a scanner range upgrade asap, search for chests in the lost cities with hang glider/grapling hook; raid those chests for stuff like a drill core which makes mining faster/more useful
if you're building in void world, you want a feral flare lantern rather than putting torches everywhere
sound buffers exist to supress snad farms
don't use your first stainless steel to make a distillation tower, go the alternate route shown in the quest book "I don't need no stinkin' tower", just make one or two individual distillation machines that you need for epoxy
unupgraded mechanical crafters use no power, so spam them
you can share walls of EBFs (most setups make a long line that shares left+right walls except for specific crafts that require two materials + liquid)
you can double-input power to bump the EBFs+machines to the next tier (or speed it up) - this is most useful early game for the polymer clay loop since alloy requires MV and your setup is going to be LV
construction/exchange/copy-paste gadgets are amazing and useful, get them and use them early
rubberize and downcraft 16x cables instead of rubberizing individual1x/2x cables
use saws to make plates instead of compressors past early game
the oxy loop below
make a separate polymer clay factory, separate epoxy factory, separate rocket fuel factory, cobble->gravel->sand->dust->clay factory w/ drawers for each and electrolyzing the clay
iron is best gotten by buying brown or yellow limonite and finding limonite veins
make a snad sugar cane farm for early-game power using a redstone filter + conduit against the snad and a piston. you'll want 3-4 of them running the entire game
make at least 2 steam and 2 magmatic dynamos, don't skip over magmatic and go directly numis, you need them for making a jetpack anyway and they're a good stopgap to power early DML before you can numi it up (and you will need a single steam producer for the entire game to feed in for a charcoal byproduct)
once you have DML focus on getting one of each type and making enough diamonds to put into numis to power it all and sort it into drawers before you continue to scale upwards. you will thank yourself later.
you can get a poison potato with hooch -> fire water
once you get to the end of mv start centrifuging hydrogen and stocking deuterium, you'll also need to stock chlorine for titanium for early tier 3 circuits
wait to get T2 circuits before starting the push for AE
if something isn't going into your machine you probably forgot to screwdriver it (to allow input from output side)
don't macerate ores until hv. It's easier to put your time into getting more dmls up; the ore doubling is mostly needed for secondary products.
Figure out a way to deal with excess of one type of fluid eating all your cells - there are lots of different ways to do this but it is necessary you pick one and solve this problem, whether it's export busses into trash cans, fluid storage busses for specific liquids into voided whatever, but there's going to be a few "trash" liquids that will fill things up (like co2) if you just import everything
smelting DML coins is a fine way to get materials like platinum/tin/lead/nickel though nickel kinda sucks unfortunately

Meskhenet posted:

My next question.

There is a materials-positive sodium -> sodium hydroxide loop which produces oxygen, I think it's 3 machines to produce the sodium hydroxide from sodium and 1 to condense it back? But yeah that and later my atmosphere condenser (which I needed to make for noble gasses anyway) was how I got effectively infinite oxygen.

The list above may not be 100% accurate, some may have been addressed but those are tips I wrote down from/during my playthrough

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nomifactory: Does AE still suck at handling fluids? Where the solution for any fluid recipe is just "fill the machine at all times"?
A friend I was playing with helped me install Refined Storage instead and that has precise fluid handling, so you can actually add like 125mb of soldering alloy to a recipe and it'll export exactly that amount into the machine. It was a lot nicer than having to make a new chemical processor for every reaction.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bhodi posted:

There is a materials-positive sodium -> sodium hydroxide loop which produces oxygen, I think it's 3 machines to produce the sodium hydroxide from sodium and 1 to condense it back? But yeah that and later my atmosphere condenser (which I needed to make for noble gasses anyway) was how I got effectively infinite oxygen.

Not sure if this is the loop you're talking about since it's not positive but it's material neutral if you consider an endervoir's water "free": chemical react sodium dust and water for three NaOH dust + a bucket of hydrogen, then electrolyze those dust for a Na dust + a bucket each of oxygen and hydrogen.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah Nomifactory still sucked at fluids last I checked. I think the original intent was to use Refined Storage but I don't think it was working originally or something. I don't know if newer nightlies changed it. I think I saw in chat one person that just plowed over it in their local instance and was humming along.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah Nomifactory still sucked at fluids last I checked. I think the original intent was to use Refined Storage but I don't think it was working originally or something. I don't know if newer nightlies changed it. I think I saw in chat one person that just plowed over it in their local instance and was humming along.
Yeah, apparently a month or so after Omnifactory came out, Refined Storage fixed the compatibility issue it had with Gregtech. The pack creator said he regretted going with AE but it was too late to switch over since he'd put so much time into it already. I think you could shoehorn it in, maybe make recipes to convert AE machines to their RS counterparts, but I also don't think it plays well with PackagedAuto and would have a lot of trouble working with draconic crafting down the line.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

All good tips for me.

Im starting to get my drawers full of items. Knocked over a few of the iron alloys/steel last night before bed

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Found what I was thinking of, but I don't think the files were ever shared. These were made in the Modular Machines mod, from the looks. My hate of parallelizing machines makes this sort of thing appealing.

quote:

Concept is pretty simple:
Around late HV or early EV (requires a T5 circuit of any kind), you can upgrade from regular DML to these mob totems
The totems work as fast as 16 DML sims, plus the required fabs, and consume the same amount of polymer clay and about the same amount of energy
You put in the DML data card to determine the mob type, an item (here it's a diamond) to determine the type of output (for cards like endermen that yield multiple major resources), and a stack of polymer clay. Only the clay is consumed.
You also put in any theme of circuit. The circuit is not consumed. The higher tier the circuit, the more energy the process requires, but also the more efficient the production.
At base level (T5 circuit), it's almost exactly on par with self aware DML (assumes 22 of 64 processes succeeded)
At T6, it's about 60% pristine yield -- twice the energy cost but twice the efficiency
This increases with each tier of circuit until you get to tier nine, which is roughly 160% efficient
you'll notice it does take a whopping 64k rf/t though
but if you have the power and resources to spare this is a lot easier than making another 200 DML sims

I figure the limiting factor on DML already is basically only power, anyway.
Polymer clay is self sustaining and infinite, sim chambers are cheap as free past HV, data cards too
So this is basically just a way to "overclock" DML -- gated by your climb up the tech tree, it allows you to spend more input to get faster sustainable yields, same as you get out of GTCE, solars, etc. Tried to make it fit the theme and balance of the pack.

Also this condensed polymer clay multiblock machine that includes a cobblestone generator and just needs to be fed energy and ender pearls.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Does nomifactory have a volumetric flask? As in, a fluid container that can be dynamically resized by assemblers? If so, use that for fluid crafting in patterns. That's how you do it in GTNH where EC2 fluid handling is hard disabled.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress. This just made me realise I don't even need to struggle against the limitations of DML at all and can just make Modular Machinery do its equivalent. Also can have it straight generate blood to pump into an altar...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does nomifactory have a volumetric flask? As in, a fluid container that can be dynamically resized by assemblers? If so, use that for fluid crafting in patterns. That's how you do it in GTNH where EC2 fluid handling is hard disabled.

Not in my version. The pipette is still there but flagged as deprecated in favor of EnderIO tanks or Shadows of Greg drums. I don't know what I could do to fix a specific unit capacity to them. I'm hoping the idea is not "figure out how much of an item you can make with the corresponding full size and just ram them through."

Black Pants posted:

gently caress. This just made me realise I don't even need to struggle against the limitations of DML at all and can just make Modular Machinery do its equivalent. Also can have it straight generate blood to pump into an altar...

In regards to which pack? I think Nomifactory was deprecating modular machines in favor of this multiblock tweaker thing. There's a simulation supercomputer in there for really ramping up DML. The problem is they introduced it right at the end game and it definitely requires end game components. At that point, I had already made a shitpile of machines:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In regards to which pack? I think Nomifactory was deprecating modular machines in favor of this multiblock tweaker thing. There's a simulation supercomputer in there for really ramping up DML. The problem is they introduced it right at the end game and it definitely requires end game components. At that point, I had already made a shitpile of machines:

My own. I've been trying to work out where I want to put DML and how I want to use it, that made me realise I don't actually even need to and can do something of my own making instead.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The key to doing fluids with AE in nomifactory is just buffering stuff in tanks and storage bussing it, don't bother trying to digitize the stuff at all. Yeah, you'll have your storage for everything spread out everywhere and it'll be a pain in the rear end but at least you can just slap down a fluid interface, filter in the thing you need, and pull from it with enderio fluid conduits if need be.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Same, for the intermediates I did long lines of machines all attached up to ender conduits with filters on every entrance/exit and a specific different color for fluids slated to go in/out of the fluid interface. It worked fine but as things ramped up I did have to put speed/stack modules in to get more throughput because all the fluid channels were in use and things were backing up

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My fluid crafting stuff in Nomifactory was using a dedicated cell per fluid, assigned to it on the workbench. One of the floors in my 3x3 chunk base was just fluid stuff, with another one mostly dealing with the noble gases and pyrolyse oven stuff; a lot of that liked to go vertical so I just adjusted the height between floors for it. This did mean I was using fluid export buses everywhere.

Generally, I made dedicated space for it because everybody gave me the fear of the Lord when they described the fluid stuff, so I was giving myself space to deal with it, but it was not much more tedious than anything else I was doing.

Black Pants posted:

My own. I've been trying to work out where I want to put DML and how I want to use it, that made me realise I don't actually even need to and can do something of my own making instead.

Oh okay. I was afraid there was some Nomifactory moonbeams I completely missed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Think I'm gonna retry Nomifactory and just straight up replace the mining stuff every time I run into it and see if I stay away from burnout longer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Speaking of Nomifactory, is there a good option for a tank with a 'void' upgrade (so like, will store X buckets and will continue to accept more but just delete any additional)? The biggest problem I had with fluids was overflow from processes, and my way of handling it on my last save was...subpar, to say the least. Any suggestions?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i had no issues in my nomi run with either level emitting machines that make a single fluid (like sulfuric acid), or having dedicated level emitted “bleed valves” where it exports into a fluid trash can if the AE2 system accumulates too much. for useful but plentiful stuff like oxygen/hydrogen/nitrogen/water

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Use high priority inputs for the tank, a split, and a low priority for the void. Just limit the inputs for the primary tanks so the wrong fluids won't go where you don't want them and any overflow will get voided. Ender IO is perfect for this.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Not sure if this is the loop you're talking about since it's not positive but it's material neutral if you consider an endervoir's water "free": chemical react sodium dust and water for three NaOH dust + a bucket of hydrogen, then electrolyze those dust for a Na dust + a bucket each of oxygen and hydrogen.

Was about to say thats not in there, it isnt in JEI for my, but ive got it working

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
On my last playthrough I first tried importing everything and using cell formats and voiding to manage it and it was just a whole mess that was fiddly and accidentally voided valuable fluids. Eventually I gave that up and switched to trying to void garbage at the source before importing which worked OK even though there was a lot of duplication of stuff like carbon monoxide and co2 which was produced+voided in a bunch of places.

Honestly in terms of time/complexity it was far easier on my first playthrough to make a whole bunch of cells and import everything and then use storage busses attached to black hole fluid storage for the top 8 or 9 fluids and didn't have to think about or deal with a million random fluids. With the exception of the condenser pair for noble gasses, that produces too much volume that you basically have to use drums and sort it out.

Drums are amazing and I basically moved to drums+storage busses or storage busses pointed directly at machines for low-volume fluids for most of my factory by mid/lategame. It's by far the most easy thing to slap one of those pointed at your machine rather than deal with the hassle of enderio filters + fluid interface filling up + having to store + having to add the fluid to your void filter. just let the machine's internal reservoir do it all for you and then your subfactory automatically turns on when it's not full. Easy peasy.

I spent so much time trying to be efficient and capture and re-distribute small amounts of fluids rather than just (re) overproducing it on-site and not worrying about it. Next time I'd be way more aggressive at voiding and producing the same thing in multiple places rather than trying to do the capture+transport because configuration/debugging time is real and time spent setting stuff up is a huge consideration and more important than being really efficient.

Leaning so heavily into EIO filters was a huge mistake for me. For example, it's WAY faster to just slap an interface on the export bus of each EBF and have multiple ULV inputs, one for each material rather than try and have a single supply interface at the end of the row that "manages" it all with eio filters. It's more materials yes but you save so much time in setup not having to program twice per material per ebf.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 19, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I was not having a fun time with limited item filters. I found that EnderIO crafters didn't need them since they only take stuff in the slots corresponding to the recipe, but all the GregTech machines just suck in whatever-what-the-heck.

I know the Discord folks really leaned into mechanical crafters, but I was at the end game before I got the memo.

From the Discord, I saw a funny dynamic with people actively doing a second playthrough and how they advise people on the first playthrough. There wasn't really a good way on your own to tell what was going to particularly be important in the first playthrough and having some tips on that is one thing, but then you get people doing some other nutty thing on their second round as a general pattern and they're just running into a completely different set of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I haven't played since omnifactory and I never got very far but I think I did oxygen with sugar cane or or sugar? Once I moved on to numismatic dynamos there wasn't much need for my snad setup so it slotted right in