Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do you need to have played the first Coma to do the second? I have Vicious Sisters on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I didn't necessarily want to go through the first game.

Or rather, was playing the second game first a detriment to your understanding of the story?

I don't think you need to have played the first for the reasons mentioned by Morpheus. I felt like I understood the story perfectly fine, although I read every note and listened to/read every dialogue option.

There was one easter egg reward for a task I would have probably appreciated more if I was more familiar with the first protagonist, but you have to go out of your way to find it though and it's never listed as a task so it doesn't affect the story. It's just a neat reward for being thorough exploring and it's put into context by the things you're told through the The Coma 2, but just seemed like it would have meant more if I'd played the first game beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah I can't praise that game enough. The voice acting is top loving notch and the atmosphere the game creates is :chefskiss:

If you're prone to motion sickness that might be an issue though, full disclosure. If not I highly recommend it.

That's a good warning. Fortunately it doesn't bother me, gimme more games that play with zero-g and such!

I'll add this one to my list for sure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

so uh, anyone played Fobia? It looks good but it seems like barely anyone is talking about it so hard to find info

Fobia looks like eurojank REVII in the same Tormented Souls is eurojank RE1.

Speaking of which Tormented Souls has been pretty decent so far. There’s a tad too much backtracking and the shotgun is too powerful for how much ammo they give you but it’s a good classic RE style game.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yeah I've been playing Tormented Souls and I'm liking it. Unlimited inventory is nice, but I wish the map would switch to what area I'm in when I open it. But overall I'm enjoying the experience especially once I found a few more save items. Only getting one in the beginning definitely raised the stress level a bit. Ammo for the nailgun seems plenty and the sketchy homemade shotgun is really powerful. Having to have at least a little light to be able to use weapons is kinda neat too. For $20 I'm happy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Finally got around to Observation and while it's not exactly a Swiss watch when it comes to plot, it's got a stupendously stronger grasp on visual design, cinematography, VA and the uncanny than basically any other sci fi horror game I've played (including Control and Observer)

Following up on this, I found out I had some steambux and just decided to jump in after all. A couple hours in, and I agree with this praise. It's very well done, and it has a neat and fun setup for how you're interacting with the game and solving puzzles. Just really well done, nice looking, and full of atmosphere.

Also, this is just one component of stuff you're doing throughout the game, but it finally scratches the itch I've had since playing the 2017 Prey, getting a chance to just hang outside in space, maneuvering myself in 3D around a cool-looking space station. So fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My wife n I finished our first playthrough of the quarry last night, had a blast. Thanks thread for mentioning it way back when it went up for preorder.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

We were talking about Observation and this is too drat cute. Stray is also published by Anapurna so it's an adorable nod.

https://twitter.com/_NoCode/status/1547220512102907904?t=MbvSwwCTGVHXeS74mBMP8g&s=19

MacheteZombie posted:

My wife n I finished our first playthrough of the quarry last night, had a blast. Thanks thread for mentioning it way back when it went up for preorder.

I'm glad you like it! I'm avoiding the thread like the plague until I get time to finish it but I can't wait to read what other people thought of some of the characters. And if anyone else noticed Abigail's actress is the smart daughter off Modern Family.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Did a group run through The Quarry when we were visiting friends last weekend and it made me wish I'd had the same experience with Until Dawn; way more fun with different people in control of different characters. The couple we were playing with had been through it a couple times already but did a good job not suggesting any course of action/sharing info early, so it was still a minor miracle that we made it with everyone alive; they lost it when I decided that Max would just chill on the island. Apparently there had been some salt about how the alternative played out the first time they played.

Dylan was the easy favorite for everyone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New Alien/Aliens game will be announced at SDCC by Servios. Might be fully VR or just have it as an option.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The_Doctor posted:

New Alien/Aliens game will be announced at SDCC by Servios. Might be fully VR or just have it as an option.

I swear to god if it's a sequel to Isolation and is VR only I will burst out of someone's chest.

Console, PC and VR according to
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23219360/aliens-game-survios-vr-announcement

I will leave bursting out of someone's chest for a while longer it seems.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo. Okay so I'm in like Chapter 5 or 6 of The Quarry and I've managed to keep everyone alive so far. I dont want anyone to die now drat it, even bitchy Dylan.

Of course I've been playing everyone's personalities to be as nice to each other as possible so I did it to myself.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wonder if Routine will come out this time. The rare game that becomes vaporware twice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Not seeing anything anything about this Alien game at Comic Con - am I missing it or has nothing been announced yet?

Bogart posted:

I wonder if Routine will come out this time. The rare game that becomes vaporware twice.

Due to be on Game Pass but no release date issued, which means that it'll probably be next year.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

if anyone was considering playing that backrooms 1998 horror game that came out back in may uhhhhhh don't. the devs thought it'd be cool to use a real actual child abduction/murder case for their game while barely changing any of the details about it :stonk:

can't believe we found a case of this happening that's worse than yiik but here we are

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mix. posted:

if anyone was considering playing that backrooms 1998 horror game that came out back in may uhhhhhh don't. the devs thought it'd be cool to use a real actual child abduction/murder case for their game while barely changing any of the details about it :stonk:

can't believe we found a case of this happening that's worse than yiik but here we are

What game is this?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mix. posted:

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often given the rampant popularity of "true crime".

Then again I don't play an overwhelming amount of indie horror so maybe I'm just not aware of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, I’ve actually watched a couple playthroughs of that game. I thought the abduction story felt weird, had no idea it was real. That’s kinda wild because the child who got abducted is like, the main creature chasing you in the game ( though it’s presence might be more of the main characters fears come alive then it literally supposed to be the kid)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What game is this?

This one. I watched a playthrough of it bc I thought the graphics were cool and the fact they functionally give you an infinite sharpie to draw on the walls while avoiding the monster was a funny thing to implement, but then I saw some comments on one playthrough discussing how it's kind of tasteless to use a real case from the 70s (as well as making a joke/reference to a different case where a child was killed by the captors) and thats where the hole of learning about what was going on started.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Based on a true story

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often given the rampant popularity of "true crime".

Then again I don't play an overwhelming amount of indie horror so maybe I'm just not aware of it.

not a horror game per se, at least not an extant one, but the plot of petscop was originally packed with thinly-veiled references to the candace newmaker death. while it was being released serially people grokked quickly to the kid murder connection; as murmurs from the public got louder it was dropped as a plot point & after the series wrapped the creator acknowledged it was a bad move.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Wasn't there a game that used an actual 911 audio call of a woman being like, murdered, with resulting controversy?

Looking into it, I may have completely imagined this...or am combining it with the Backrooms 1998 game. :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know the puppet combo knockoff devs 616 Games put out a collection of trashy games made up of various stolen assets, meme sounds, and overall just bad presentation and one of their games was just the columbine massacre.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FirstAidKite posted:

I know the puppet combo knockoff devs 616 Games put out a collection of trashy games made up of various stolen assets, meme sounds, and overall just bad presentation and one of their games was just the columbine massacre.

Went and looked and they have an entire four-game "Poop Killer" series, including an origins prequel. Tantalizing!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Went and looked and they have an entire four-game "Poop Killer" series, including an origins prequel. Tantalizing!

You say that as if Death Flush isn't sincerely one of the best surreal comedy indie horror games to come out in the last decade

Or like there isn't an entire subgenre of indie horror games that are just "toilet horror"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Wasn't there a game that used an actual 911 audio call of a woman being like, murdered, with resulting controversy?

Looking into it, I may have completely imagined this...or am combining it with the Backrooms 1998 game. :shrug:
Games using the Ruth Price call maybe? It's a bit hard to google for that though due to the real story behind that being unearthed in 2021/2020.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
616 Games really sucks either way tho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
a very sensitive theme

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i vaguely remember an issue of game informer i read when i was a kid that had a whole article about an rpg maker game about the columbine shooting and how the creator made it as some kind of way to rip the bandaid off and actually talk about it instead of dancing around the event like a lot of media/adults were at the time and that was like my first encounter with 'games can be used to make statements' (and also to a lesser extent the concept of indie games existing). no clue whether the game was actually good or held up in retrospect but it was still kind of a formulative thing to read at that age since i hadn't really heard anything about columbine before it (combination of living in a state far enough away from it and being just young enough to not know it happened when it did, i was literally 5 lol)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

VERY COOL MAN posted:

not a horror game per se, at least not an extant one, but the plot of petscop was originally packed with thinly-veiled references to the candace newmaker death. while it was being released serially people grokked quickly to the kid murder connection; as murmurs from the public got louder it was dropped as a plot point & after the series wrapped the creator

I had heard about that from Game Theory on YouTube (yes, I know) and figured they had just messed up the story, I didn't know that it was actually changed in the end. That's pretty hosed up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mix. posted:

i vaguely remember an issue of game informer i read when i was a kid that had a whole article about an rpg maker game about the columbine shooting and how the creator made it as some kind of way to rip the bandaid off and actually talk about it instead of dancing around the event like a lot of media/adults were at the time and that was like my first encounter with 'games can be used to make statements' (and also to a lesser extent the concept of indie games existing). no clue whether the game was actually good or held up in retrospect but it was still kind of a formulative thing to read at that age since i hadn't really heard anything about columbine before it (combination of living in a state far enough away from it and being just young enough to not know it happened when it did, i was literally 5 lol)

That would be Super Columbine Massacre RPG!, I believe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Puppet combo samples the scream from that call in a few games, it’s the nuns cry in Nun Massacre. It’s kind of Wilhelm scream famous.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

al-azad posted:

Puppet combo samples the scream from that call in a few games, it’s the nuns cry in Nun Massacre. It’s kind of Wilhelm scream famous.

Looking into it, looks like thankfully the woman in the call was attacked but survived.

I THINK this is what I'm thinking of, yeah. It was only "solved" six months ago, and I remember the "this game has an actual 911 call in it" discussion was definitely a bit before that.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That's the one. I have vague memories of playing it in my very early 20s. It was...interesting? Like I said my memory is super hazy on details but I remember reading the same article or similar (I was subbed to Game Informer for several years because of Gamestop) and tracking down and playing the game.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I played the columbine game as an edgy 10 year old. It was pretty poo poo. I remember the big twist is after the suicide you go to hell and the really hard part starts. Not really sure what the point was.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Mix. posted:

Yeah I was grossed out when I realised exactly how much was directly lifted from the real case, down to the kids favourite food. Just an appalling shock factor choice out into a P.T jumpscare clone.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Looking into it, looks like thankfully the woman in the call was attacked but survived.

I THINK this is what I'm thinking of, yeah. It was only "solved" six months ago, and I remember the "this game has an actual 911 call in it" discussion was definitely a bit before that.
Still tasteless but a lot of people assumed the Ruth Price call was faked for 911 responder training, because they couldn't find any source for the story beside 911 responder training courses. The training course story lied claiming she had been murdered and got details wrong in a way that made it hard to investigate.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I missing something with the camera combat in Dreadout 2? I'm just at the start of chapter 3 trying to shoot this ghost outside my house and the 'static' effect you need to damage it almost never shows up, that's on the rare occasion I'm actually pointing in the right direction.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Still tasteless but a lot of people assumed the Ruth Price call was faked for 911 responder training, because they couldn't find any source for the story beside 911 responder training courses. The training course story lied claiming she had been murdered and got details wrong in a way that made it hard to investigate.

I genuinely thought you all were talking about YiiK.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zushio posted:

I genuinely thought you all were talking about YiiK.

Oh, THAT'S what I was confusing it with! One game had a real 9/11 call (thankfully no murder), and the other referenced a real case (lady acts weird in hotel elevator and is later found dead in the water tank).

Isn't the girl in YiiK the main character (or author self-insert)'s love interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Isn't the girl in YiiK the main character (or author self-insert)'s love interest?

they meet like once and he treats it like a ramona flowers situation but then she's kidnapped and pulled into another dimension or whatever and then we basically never see her again until the end of the game. the connection to the real life woman is that after this happens a video of her acting weird in an elevator is posted to a 90s image board or whatever similar to how the video of the woman was, but ~we~ know the truth bc we saw her get yanked into another dimension by aliens. it would've most likely just been chalked up as a weird resemblance/coincidence if the YIIK lead dev hadn't publicly and openly talked about his obsession with that case on reddit before the game ever launched and basically confirmed that plot beat was directly inspired by it :dogout: