Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can put it on Carol for a free resource every single turn. Take the damage, spawn a lightning, heal and draw. Also fun to put on Groot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

DLC Inc posted:

New card from Sp//der pack looks pretty interesting:

Could see Leadership deck heroes putting this on Thor/Hulk/Colossus as a free resource generator.

Honestly, that's probably going to go in pretty much every Leadership build regardless of the hero's HP.

The whole spoiler for SP//DR is pretty good but she's got a big problem in that she really wants to get Ben&May out ASAP and that's going to be pretty tough without a tutor. One of the reasons that Ironheart worked so well IMO is that she can tutor Tony Stark AI, albeit expensively, which really helps her consistency. I feel like SP//DR might fall into the same problem as Vision and Quicksilver that your experience playing her will depend on how quickly you draw into that powerful enabler card.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wait, Vision has a problem? Cause I sure as heck don’t see one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Wait, Vision has a problem? Cause I sure as heck don’t see one.

Both Quicksilver and Vision are heroes that really rely on getting specific cards for them to be amazing. In Vision's case it's 616 Hickory Branch Lane; in Quicksilver's it's Friction Resistance. Both Heroes are great but not getting those respective cards makes them significantly worse so if you lose them to say Ultron's ability or just a random discard effect, you're going to have a much less good game. It seemed like they recognized this and gave both Ironheart and Ghost-Spider ways to tutoring their power cards but Peni unfortunately doesn't have anything like that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they can't function without them but it's the different between being good and being awesome. Peni feels the same to me in that 'Aunt May & Uncle Ben' are a way to help mitigate her lovely hand size in Hero Form by letting you cycle your deck and draw into your upgrades faster.

edit: Team Covenant has been doing a series of podcasts that are also up on their YouTube channel talking about various ways of ruining games and the 'limit 1' is one of their first topics. I seem to recall Zack mentioning Quicksilver either in this video or in their first video where they did an overview of the series.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 10, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Agree with Quicksilver, highly disagree with Vision. He’s amazing even without the location. Vision’s main kit is just amazingly good. He’s got a resource generating card, he’s got cards that let him grab from discard back to hand when you change forms so you can grab key cards pretty easy, and his main ability letting you tank hits is powerful all on its own. Vision also has a card that lets you remove attachments from Villains which is just as much if not more valuable.

Hickory Lane is something that turns an A rank hero into an S. it’s a great bonus but if you’re relying on it to win games I think you’ve then accidentally built a deck hobbled around you needing it out and didn’t actually build a well rounded deck. I’ve never had a game where I absolutely needed it out to push things forward.

With Quicksilver the resource generator is so integral to him firing off he’s super bad until you get it. He also needs way more setup as you want all his +1 stat line cards out. Quicksilver is like Thor to me, Thor starts off terrible, but once you get Asgard out and his two resource generators you’re then going to be really good. Vision is just great right out the gate.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spider ham is a great character if all you did was give him the prebuild from Penny. The new defense cards that deal damage to Web Warriors seem specifically made for him. That again, I play in a two player, where he’s allowed to heal and flip once in a while. If you were doing solo, you might need the hammer overkill and moment for healing.

Like Miles, you can build a defense deck that doesn’t really need to defend that often and cycles through web warriors.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the new packs are out right

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

John Romero posted:

the new packs are out right
Got a call from my FLGS telling me to come 'n' get 'em, so I assume so.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Penny and porker came out, yes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yep. My LGS got them late because his rep is a dummy and didn’t add them to his regular order so got them a bit late, thus I haven’t posted impressions yet. I plan to put together some decks after dinner and give them a whirl.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, one thing to always keep in mind is that when you’re in Spider-Suit mode, Peni Parker is a resource you can use. I was always forgetting until I got her obligation and it was “flip to alter ego, kneel Penni and remove it from game” and I was like “well, why would she be knelt when I’m in hero……OHHHHH.”

So yeah. That helps quite a bit. Easy win against Rhino. Had a hard time against Klaw, but it was because Klaw can be so aggressive right off the bat. I got Radioactive Man as my first minion so constantly chucking cards when you have a hand size of 3 suuuucks. Penni needs a little bit of buildup, but when you have that buildup she can just pop off. Using Repurpose stands you back up with a buff. So if you pick attack and have Go All Out in Your hand you can smash for great damage or do some good thwart. I was worried about how that low hand size would work but i don’t think it’s a huge concern.

She’s really good. Not S tier ranking, but she’s up there. It took me a bit to try her out so couldn’t get to Spider-Ham tonight, but gonna take him for a whirl with a leadership deck I built tomorrow.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I have no clue why spider ham and clarity of purpose are in the same expansion. It’s an ultra must have, worth building around.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Yep. My LGS got them late because his rep is a dummy and didn’t add them to his regular order so got them a bit late, thus I haven’t posted impressions yet. I plan to put together some decks after dinner and give them a whirl.

I put my order in last week with a games shop in the UK. Usually they ship stuff same day as the global release but for whatever reason they didn't this time. Expected it would have happened Monday but again no shipping update. Sent them an email to hopefully kick them in the rear end and get my poo poo out the door, because they list all the packs as in stock but my order is listed as "awaiting stock". Kind of inexcusable for it not to be moving by now. I wish I could find a global merchant that had decent shipping rates/speeds, but it seems like more and more sellers are getting locked into just distributing locally while the actual company shipping remains awful. I see nothing but complaints from people that order through FFG itself and the shipping prices themselves are clearly marked up for their own profit.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

I put my order in last week with a games shop in the UK. Usually they ship stuff same day as the global release but for whatever reason they didn't this time. Expected it would have happened Monday but again no shipping update. Sent them an email to hopefully kick them in the rear end and get my poo poo out the door, because they list all the packs as in stock but my order is listed as "awaiting stock". Kind of inexcusable for it not to be moving by now. I wish I could find a global merchant that had decent shipping rates/speeds, but it seems like more and more sellers are getting locked into just distributing locally while the actual company shipping remains awful. I see nothing but complaints from people that order through FFG itself and the shipping prices themselves are clearly marked up for their own profit.

Classic post complaint on SA -> get immediate response from GS. Guess it's a good thing I messaged them, the guy said there's a glitch and they're going to get it sorted.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Golden Bee posted:

I have no clue why spider ham and clarity of purpose are in the same expansion. It’s an ultra must have, worth building around.

Old collectible game trick, if you are worried an expansion wont sell well and one based around a spider bitten by a radioactive pig woman who has had approximately one mainstream media appearence in 40 years certainly counts, throwing a pure fire card in there will help to buck up sales from someone who might peace out from a character who looks too wacky for them.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

I assume you meant “aren’t” because Clarity of Purpose is in Peni Parkers set.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

They are certainly getting squeezed. Arkham Horror is one of their most profitable LCGs, and even there they do not have the resources to put out Return To boxes anymore...

Now all Peterson has to do is buy their LCG team and we are all set.

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't they just putting those boxes on hold until they re-release the rest of the campaigns in the new format?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Old collectible game trick, if you are worried an expansion wont sell well and one based around a spider bitten by a radioactive pig woman who has had approximately one mainstream media appearence in 40 years certainly counts, throwing a pure fire card in there will help to buck up sales from someone who might peace out from a character who looks too wacky for them.

SP//DER pack has a LOAD of cards in it that are must-haves for so many characters:

Thwip-Thwip, Noir Spidey, Spider-Tingle are all fantastic little things in Protection decks for Peter, Miles, or Gwen.
Forcefield Generator is potentially another Tech card for Tony Stark to Voltron up with, and protect him in early stages.
Unshakeable/Limitless Stamina are going to be great cards to add for Thor and Hulk to make them beefier/hit more.
and then there's Clarity of Purpose which will be awesome for any/all Leadership decks.

I think the only card I'd want from the Ham pack is that goddamn Web Warrior card that gives Peter Parker the Web Warrior designation. So cruel that this is the only card I give a poo poo about in that pack.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are there any cool co-op non-FFG not-trademarked-LCGs?

I like versus games like Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (which is awesome) and Pagan and so forth, but what about single player / co-op?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CitizenKeen posted:

Are there any cool co-op non-FFG not-trademarked-LCGs?

I like versus games like Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (which is awesome) and Pagan and so forth, but what about single player / co-op?

I don't think any of my suggestions fit exactly what you are asking and I'm sure you're familiar with some, but for the record here's some of the other coop and competitive card based games my group enjoys when not playing Marvel Champions or Arkham:

The Pathfinder Adventure Game. I got the Wrath of the Righteous expansion box and packs after enjoying the computer RPG, and a friend also played through the PC version of the starter PF card game on steam (made by Obsidian of Fallout New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity fame). It's a bit generic but we still find it fun.

There is print and play coop for Keyforge but that difficulty is wildly swingy depending on your randomized decks and the number of players, and Keyforge is currently on hiatus (though someone just bought it out). Star Realms (market row deckbuilder) also has a coop mode and is fun head to head with a lot of variations. We bounced off the fantasy version Hero Realms.

Then Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion are some of the most fun we've had, and have PC versions on Steam, but you only have a hand/deck of 8-12 cards that you can tune on level ups, and they also involve moving miniatures around a map. We've played as much of those games as we have Marvel Champions, both are our most played games by far.

In case you missed any of those they might be worth checking out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Probably closest thing you’d get to Marvel Champions would be Sentinels of the Multiverse. It’s not LCG, as it’s just base game and the expansions but the re-design on the game has given it a lot better art and the gameplay mechanics are fairly solid if a bit simplistic.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I actually don't care about theme. I'm just interested in thinking about possible deck builds during the downtime between sessions, and I find co-op is easier to get people into.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh well if deckbuilding is the draw Sentinels is out.

I honestly have no idea what other co-op deckbuilding card games are out there. FFG pretty much seems to have that market on lockdown.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

there’s that one dc card game Barnes and noble has a poo poo ton of all the time

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I’ve played a couple of games with Spider-Ham solo and then a couple with Peni Parker and Spider-Ham as a duo going up against Sandman and Venom.

Ultimately I find Peni Parker way more fun to play. I think she’s maybe a tiny bit weaker due to lack of card draw meaning you’re a little bit at the mercy of hoping you get a good starting stand but her kit (especially with defence) can really push things. Using repurpose to stand back up and then dish out damage, especially if you have a go all out waiting in the wings will be devastating. She really makes you think and it’s interesting. No other hero plays like her and I like it.

Spider-Ham, well he’s amazingly good, but kinda boring. He reminds me of Groot where you wanna build up your counters, except Spider-Ham wants damage. I think no matter what aspect you play as Spider-Ham, it’ll boil down to playing a bit defensive to build up counters, and then you get a turn where you can just blitz things because you put out so much. Nothing like a round where I can just throw down Avengers Mansion because Ham has 10 counters sitting on him. Or play multiple Swinging Web Ham’s in the same turn. Ham is neat and has a great kit and is probably up there among hero tier lists, I just find his turns a bit mechanically boring.

I think both heroes ultimately will be both regarded as great heroes long term. I hope that FFG goes back to Web Warriors quickly after X-men and gives us another 3-4 packs because I would like to see some Leadership and Aggression stuff for them so I can build a tiny bit better. I think breaking up this cycle with Web Warrior/Champions hurt the pool available if you wanna build around that trait. I’m not saying you can’t build good decks regardless, but I feel it a little where all my leadership allies for Ham are Avenger.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give every trait to each aspect. In the lotr card game different factions we're only found in certain decks. Rohan was almost entirely tactics and spirit for most of the game's life, as an example.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would like some group affiliation cards that you have during setup and affect your deckbuilding so it's something like:

Avengers (Affiliation)
Setup: Your deck must contain at least ten allies with the Avenger trait, but you may include allies of any aspect that have that trait.

Because it sucks that all the best Web-Warriors are Protection.

Basically we need more interesting ways to splash colors together, even if they're highly restrictive. Otherwise, I'm just going to be playing a whole lot more Spider-Woman.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
There was a kickstarter called Earthborne Rangers that ran last year, probably nowhere near ready, but that was also a co-op deckbuilder IIRC.

There is the Pathfinder Adventure Cardgame is a deck builder, but I wouldn't reccomend it wholeheartedly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Earthborne Rangers makes me wish I enjoyed the experience of using TableTop Simulator because it seems like a game that I'd probably play 3-4 times before it felt like I ran through everything the game had to offer.

Of all those kinds of games, only Mage Knight: The Board Game has enough replay value for it to stick around on my shelf.

I'd like to be wrong about Earthborne Rangers because I really like the look of the game. Maybe I'll pick up a copy someday years after the kickstarter hype wears off.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't they just putting those boxes on hold until they re-release the rest of the campaigns in the new format?

Yeah the AH Return To boxes haven't been canceled, they're just not in the pipeline at the moment because they're re-releasing the sets in the new format.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give every trait to each aspect. In the lotr card game different factions we're only found in certain decks. Rohan was almost entirely tactics and spirit for most of the game's life, as an example.

Speaking of LotR, I noticed the re-release boxes for it on the shelf of my LGS the other day. I got rid of my collection a while ago but I'm curious about how they're distributing these big boxes. Do they include all of the cards from a whole cycle? I remember something about the new core set having a bunch of cards from the first cycle in it or something, kind of like how they did the AH Revised Core.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

I think both heroes ultimately will be both regarded as great heroes long term. I hope that FFG goes back to Web Warriors quickly after X-men and gives us another 3-4 packs because I would like to see some Leadership and Aggression stuff for them so I can build a tiny bit better. I think breaking up this cycle with Web Warrior/Champions hurt the pool available if you wanna build around that trait. I’m not saying you can’t build good decks regardless, but I feel it a little where all my leadership allies for Ham are Avenger.

my fingers are crossed for maybe some new avengers/midnight sons/general street-level heroes next go so there might be a bit of crossover with web warriors

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Kalko posted:

Speaking of LotR, I noticed the re-release boxes for it on the shelf of my LGS the other day. I got rid of my collection a while ago but I'm curious about how they're distributing these big boxes. Do they include all of the cards from a whole cycle? I remember something about the new core set having a bunch of cards from the first cycle in it or something, kind of like how they did the AH Revised Core.

Yeah for regular cycles it's the same as the Arkham setup, one box of player cards and one box of scenarios.

I can't remember where I saw it but someone posted a breakdown of how many cards were pulled from what cycle for the revised core and starter decks. 3 cycles had no cards used and 1 cycle had a single card used. Angmar Awakened was one of the untouched cycles and was the first repackaged cycle so the assumption is the other 3 will follow. It's also worth mentioning the later cycles actually told an ongoing story, so the new boxes have a few brand new cards for campaign play.

They're also repackaging the LOTR saga, consolidating 6 boxes into 3. Those ones have player and scenario cards in a single box and no new cards as they already have campaign play.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Man, the Mysterio fight just has so much going on that it’s a bit of a hassle to two hand it. I ended up with a band round where Mysterio decked me by using the card that discards your hand, and it cycled a bunch of encounter cards that were in my deck and one character ended up with seven encounter cards. Needless to say keeping track of what is encounter and in what steps I’m playing got a little frazzling. I completely forgot if I did an activation against another hero a round later and just decided to put away the game. I probably would have won but it was slow going.

Spider-Ham continues to underwhelm me. He can have incredibly good turns, but mechanically he puts me to sleep.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pack the protection card that deletes boosts cards before they’re revealed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That is a valid strategy for Leadership Spider-Ham how?

I appreciate the suggestion, but my complaint was just that Mysterio has fiddly bits about him which at one point overwhelmed me when I was playing at night.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Spider-Ham continues to underwhelm me. He can have incredibly good turns, but mechanically he puts me to sleep.

The Black Stones posted:

That is a valid strategy for Leadership Spider-Ham how?

Having not played Spider-Ham, the problem might be that not every hero is good or fun with every aspect.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I get what he's saying. I feel the same way about Nova. Nova feels like a great hero to hand to a new player because he always has a resource, sometimes two if you aren't defending and you can do a lot of stuff but resource generation just isn't particularly interesting. It works well with Venom because it's kind of an icing on the cake to his real gimmick which is using all his guns. Nova runs Valuetown but since none of his cards do anything particularly exciting(even Unleash Nova Force feels bad because you're like 'hey, everyone else at the table let me do everything for a turn'), it's not really very fun to play as him. This is also my problem with Wasp/Ant-Man; Ant-Man has a very clear gimmick in that he wants to be doing form changes but Wasp doesn't really gain anything from shifting around other than having different stats and a few changes to some of her abilities(some of which are anti-synergetic).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Having not played Spider-Ham, the problem might be that not every hero is good or fun with every aspect.

Nah, it’s a problem built into his very core. His mechanic is all about getting tokens and then using the tokens to have a huge burst turn or small pinch moves. Changing the aspect really will only change what happens for that burst. Aggression will mean you fire it off on huge damage, Justice on big thwart turn, defence would honestly be kinda bad because you WANT him to get hit.

Spider-Ham is a picture of “very good to play, but won’t ever wow you” because he’s just not mechanically interesting. He’s simple, there’s zero complexity to him. I agree with what Payback is saying about Nova. It’s kind of the same thing.
Nova is a breeze to play because you really just want to be doing the same thing over and over.

Peni Parker is interesting and fun because you’re constantly choosing what upgrades you should pay and the order of it. She rewards smart planning. Her turns are always interesting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it’s OK that there’s an easy to play character, for kids. One of his cards triggers by sticking your tongue out at the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Not just kids. Sometimes I've had a long day frying my brain with work but would still like to game with my SO.