Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
you also get several more years of security updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
that also assumes that the phone lasts the 3 years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Celexi posted:

one is a car that kills you one is a phone that may run like poo poo, kinda different leagues lol

so what

i bet as a group tesla owners prefer anroid

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it’s so convenient that everyone who likes a bad thing also likes all bad things, really makes things easy, for me, who only likes good things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

so what

i bet as a group tesla owners prefer anroid

i am 100% certain that iphones are overepresented among tesla owners compared to humanity at large. very trivially, as both correlate heavily with being rich (and to a lesser extent with conspicuous consumption).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Easily, the bulk of my friends and family use iPhones. I only know one person with a Tesla and I'm pretty sure he has an android.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This is despite me living in southern california, where you can't throw a brick on the 5 freeway without hitting a Tesla.

On the other hand, Prius owners run the gamut. They're mostly iPhones but one has an android (though I think she recently switched to iPhone despite her husband working for Google)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

it’s so convenient that everyone who likes a bad thing also likes all bad things, really makes things easy, for me, who only likes good things

incorrect i love plenty of terrible things. see: my posts, posting here, etc

it’s not that both are bad so people who like one will surely like the other i just think they are appealing in similarly ‘i’m a techie’ ways

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

this but unironically, everything I don't like is bad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

if the android poo poo phone were good I'd like it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
everyone I seen in norcal that has a tesla has an iPhone so according to the logic what does that mean??

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
it means you post bad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it means you post bad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it means you post bad

says someone posting in the anroid thread

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have an iphone and drive a real piece of poo poo

hope this data point helps

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

:same:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

In a couple more years my phone is gonna be worth more than my car.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I used to be full Android fanboy as an edgy teen because it was cool to hate Apple, and stuck around because Google's services are better than Apple's tbh. I still think that applies to the ones they haven't unceremoniously shut down (or whatever the gently caress is going on with Chat/Meet/Hangouts/Wave/Chat/Chat/Meet).

Eventually got sick of my S21 Ultra, stuttering and dropping animation frames when opening the camera, or randomly getting hot as gently caress in my pocket walking around a shop because of some unknown rogue process. This is on a top-tier Android flagship basically as expensive as Android phones get unless you want foldy gimmicky bullshit.

Swapped to wife's XR and honestly aside from the camera having only one lens, I cannot tell that this is a mid-range 2018 (?) iPhone. There's literally next to nothing in iOS15 and 16 that this phone struggles with, and I know it'll probably get 2, maybe 3 more years of iOS updates, barring some insane features that only work with specific hardware. If I tried to use my old Pixel 3 from the same year, I'd be stuck on Android 12 now, (with 13 coming this year around the same time as iOS 16 I think), and that's a good update lifetime for an Android device, being a Pixel. A Samsung Note 9 from 2018 would be stuck on Android 10.

If you exclude camera-specific features, I think the only thing I've found on this XR that doesn't work from newer iOS versions is face mask FaceID.

car status: not a tesla

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
do iphones still only allow you to ever sync to one itunes and if you try to sync to any other it wipes itself instead

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

do iphones still only allow you to ever sync to one itunes and if you try to sync to any other it wipes itself instead

no one has connected a phone to their mac in like 5+ years, everything is in da cloud

also itunes doesnt exist anymore, nice talking point from 2006

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i haven't used an iphone in years so, yes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol, even lmao possibly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb88eui8SqQ

https://nothing.tech/pages/phone-1

I like the tech look of the white version, but that's a pure aesthetic thing only.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like the tech look of the white version, but that's a pure aesthetic thing only.

yeah, apparently despite the design they are not even remotely serviceable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

yeah, apparently despite the design they are not even remotely serviceable

lol

i feel like if you’re trying to be different in todays market that may be a no-go otherwise what’s the point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the led array on the nothing phone is actually kinda neat but like most gimmicks i know it'll at best be forgotten and at worst actively cause failures so vOv

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks vaguely cyberpunk or something but the always-on display on my Note is about infinitely times actually more useful.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mobby_6kl posted:

It looks vaguely cyberpunk or something but the always-on display on my Note is about infinitely times actually more useful.

yeah I only saw the phone as it got an Insta post by the guy who runs ACRONYM clothing, the high-end cyber/tech brand.

The idea that you have to leave your phone face-down on your desk etc to see your custom flashing notificaton lights, though - thats the sort of thing should get called out and written on a blue-sky thinking session flipchart and then everyone goes nah that's a terrible idea

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol, even lmao possibly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb88eui8SqQ

https://nothing.tech/pages/phone-1

looks cool but the bubbles are the wrong color and it doesnt have airdrop. sad. rip.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in a just world all bubbled would be the same color and airdrop would be an open standard. shameful world.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol imagine spending $1,000 on a phone and getting only 3 years of updates. lmao.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh no! We are one of the largest and richest companies on earth! We couldn’t possibly support a device for more than 3 years!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

in a just world all bubbled would be the same color and airdrop would be an open standard. shameful world.
smythe you could just get both phones and effortlessly dual wield them as liquid metal extensions of your arms

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FlapYoJacks posted:

Oh no! We are one of the largest and richest companies on earth! We couldn’t possibly support a device for more than 3 years!

that's right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my android takes good pix

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

smythe you could just get both phones and effortlessly dual wield them as liquid metal extensions of your arms

2 phone payments. Jesus Christ I know we joke about YOSPOS being rich but c’mon

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah I only saw the phone as it got an Insta post by the guy who runs ACRONYM clothing, the high-end cyber/tech brand.

The idea that you have to leave your phone face-down on your desk etc to see your custom flashing notificaton lights, though - thats the sort of thing should get called out and written on a blue-sky thinking session flipchart and then everyone goes nah that's a terrible idea

yeah the first time i saw it i thought about how my phone always goes onto a wireless charger when it's not in my pocket and loled a bit

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best part isn’t even the 3 years of support its the part where they sell it for like 3 years so you could buy a brand new old phone and already be out of support

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

no one has connected a phone to their mac in like 5+ years, everything is in da cloud

also itunes doesnt exist anymore, nice talking point from 2006

gently caress that, i have an xs and i'm the last of the red hot local backup boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too will never pay for icloud