Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

it's not shaming to point out that you probably shouldn't set your goals around a one in a million 'I'll simply become world famous and wealthy off youtube' vague idea, you can't just call everything that sucks to hear 'shaming'
No one is saying that, Wolf literally said to only get involved in content creation for the sake of enjoying that creation as opposed to pie-in-the-sky dreams of Influencer Wealth. But just making fun of a random person for being anxious over bullshit analytic pages is going to be just as effective at curtailing that behavior as making fun of fat people for decades has been at reducing obesity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Truly we are lucky that unlike the body, the human mind is a perfect vessel unaffected by outside stimuli. Quitting an addiction is entirely physical, of course.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Pants Donkey posted:

No one is saying that, Wolf literally said to only get involved in content creation for the sake of enjoying that creation as opposed to pie-in-the-sky dreams of Influencer Wealth. But just making fun of a random person for being anxious over bullshit analytic pages is going to be just as effective at curtailing that behavior as making fun of fat people for decades has been at reducing obesity.

one of those is longstanding campaign demanding that human body, primarily women's bodies, must be sexually attractive to a narrow standard of what society considers sexually attractive. and the other is anxiously checking to see if youre famous yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Also much like MLM schemes they don't really prey on the poor typically so much as middle class people with income and free time to burn, unlike the pharma industry who basically created the modern opioid crisis by dumping their pills into poor and desperate areas and then going 'woah look at these loving nasty rear end addicts, hosed up imo'.
This is just anecdotal but in my experience Amway preys on way more poor people than middle class people. The middle class participants are able to last longer and con more people into joining, typically people much poorer than themselves.

DeafNote posted:

I dont think scamvictims are the same as gacha victims either. Though that depends on whether or not they have an addiction problem or not.
I have heard many a tale of people who tried to get away from the gambling scene only for gambling to find them inside their new hobbies: gaming.

With gacha there is also an element of peer pressure, especially for kids who bully other kids who have less cool ingame items and all that junk.
I don't think the cult mentality of Amway and similar MLMs is any less prevalent than peer pressure in gachas.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 18, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just think that, perhaps, YouTube not enable sociopathic behavior that serves no real purpose, but I have to admit we” as likely to shame a person into not traumatizing their kids for clicks as we are getting a megacorp to change its operations for even a slight betterment of society.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I just think that, perhaps, YouTube not enable sociopathic behavior that serves no real purpose, but I have to admit we” as likely to shame a person into not traumatizing their kids for clicks as we are getting a megacorp to change its operations for even a slight betterment of society.

i literally said that but okay....................................

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fun hater posted:

one of those is longstanding campaign demanding that human body, primarily women's bodies, must be sexually attractive to a narrow standard of what society considers sexually attractive. and the other is anxiously checking to see if youre famous yet.
describing the behavior in more detail does not do anything to make shaming more effective. You’re free to call these people names, just admit you’re not doing it for anything besides a cheap laugh. It’s fine! The lady forcing her crying child into a better pose for a thumbnail deserves to be dunked on at the absolute minimum.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

describing the behavior in more detail does not do anything to make shaming more effective. You’re free to call these people names, just admit you’re not doing it for anything besides a cheap laugh. It’s fine! The lady forcing her crying child into a better pose for a thumbnail deserves to be dunked on at the absolute minimum.

do you really think insulting peoples bodies and insulting people's behavior carries the same weight. do you really think that. come on now

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Americans consider their finances to be a part of their bodies. Hence MLM victims crafting elaborate revenge fantasies against everyone who tried to talk them out of it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i think my behavior makes you uncomfortable bc you are a human being with a totally different set of beliefs and morals who does not like seeing people get mocked, and the inability to reconcile that we are different doesn't need to be this ridiculous.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Truly we are lucky that unlike the body, the human mind is a perfect vessel unaffected by outside stimuli. Quitting an addiction is entirely physical, of course.

Yeah the terrible truth is that our brain is really easily tricked into thinking things that it shouldn't. Things that don't actually make any sense, but persist because of a feedback loop you're in. We've figured out how to make that happen and it's being applied brutally wherever it can. There's a reason why mobile gaming makes so much money even though it's mostly dogshit that no one talks about, and it's because of how well it's able to get people to spend money on nothing and think it's a great deal. I don't have a Youtube channel, but I wouldn't be surprised if Youtube didn't do everything it could to make the people putting videos on that site think they're a few days away from stardom if they just make the right length video about the right trending topic.

That doesn't mean I feel particularly deeply for people who ruin their lives over trying to get famous, and anyone who's plan is "get famous" really should have at least one backup plan. But it's kinda impossible to understand the modern landscape of internet media without conceding that much of it is designed to make people believe that interacting with it is important and will make you richer.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

YouTube does indeed try and make you think you're that one vid away from being some sort of star just through THE ALOGRITHM being this oh so mysterious and undefinable thing that picks you out like it's the loving lottery or something. It gives you plenty of positive feedback when your videos are doing well, and plenty enough negative feedback when they're not. You can't help but feel a bit chuffed when you see that little "1 of 10" firework display, not going to lie. I'm not about to compare this to a physical addiction or whatever cause that's just not happening but yeah, it's easy to get really over the top into those analytics and poring over those numbers -- I've done it for sure in the past. Trouble is I dunno if it really helps you too much when your videos start hitting a bit of a snag because you're then going over everything, thinking that you desperately need to drastically CHANGE something, anything, trying to get behind stuff that's going on and always being a step or two back instead of just continuing to focus on what's always worked for you in the past and will in all likelihood work for you again soon enough, even if it might need a little bit of tweaking.

I've been doing this full time for 6 years now and I like to think that I know what works for me even if it's never going to get me a million subs or anything, but then I guess my thing's different to some folks who make content that isn't evergreen and completely dies off after a couple of days.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

I just feel like if your response to "YouTube has created a platform that seems tailor-made as an anxiety-machine that chews content creators up and spits them out" is "lol, then why don't those bozos just log off?" you may be missing part of what the problem is...

Platforms like YouTube are specifically designed to modify the behavior of its users and I think asking "Is this a good/healthy thing?" is not a bad idea.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fun hater posted:

do you really think insulting peoples bodies and insulting people's behavior carries the same weight. do you really think that. come on now
It’s irrelevant because my point is that shaming doesn’t curtail what you are shaming. It can be heady items like body image or racism and silly niche things like furries and weird slash fic. Mockery tends to cause people to dig their feet in and keeping doing it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s irrelevant because my point is that shaming doesn’t curtail what you are shaming. It can be heady items like body image or racism and silly niche things like furries and weird slash fic. Mockery tends to cause people to dig their feet in and keeping doing it.

the purpose of using shaming to curtail behavior isnt to change a single persons mind but to make the activity/behavior socially unacceptable, scorned and reviled.

KingKalamari posted:

Platforms like YouTube are specifically designed to modify the behavior of its users and I think asking "Is this a good/healthy thing?" is not a bad idea.

literally everyone, me included. have said this. no one disagrees with this lol.

e: i also think it would be more accurate to say that youtube attracts a specific kind of person with delusions of grandeur or a misplaced sense of self-importance.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Shaming people doesn't exactly motivate people to change, it only really succeeds on making people hide the behavior. At best, it shuns people from society.

ButterSkeleton fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 18, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ButterSkeleton posted:

Shaming people doesn't exactly motivate people to change, it only really succeeds on making people hide the behavior.

good? lmfao? what the gently caress kind of comment is this. thats the point. this specific behavior should not be publicly celebrated

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
IMO the YouTube analytics are good because they let me see that most people stopped watching my Rhythm Doctor level right at the climax of the song which has given me some baffled bemusement

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

fun hater posted:

good? lmfao? what the gently caress kind of comment is this. thats the point. this specific behavior should not be publicly celebrated

Well, I feel fulfillment when I help someone in the process of change, even if they're a thankless, hostile person. It's empathy, I guess!

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Its not exactly anyone's job to help change people, but if you see it happen, the ideal course of action is to try and help that person become better.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ButterSkeleton posted:

Well, I feel fulfillment when I help someone in the process of change, even if they're a thankless, hostile person. It's empathy, I guess!

hmmm. not me. im different.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm not sure what this argument is, literally nobody itt thinks youtube isn't manipulating people and that's hosed up and bad.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

fun hater posted:

hmmm. not me. im different.

How do you handle being insulted in a work place?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ButterSkeleton posted:

poo poo and piss my pants, duh

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ButterSkeleton posted:

ahahahahaha

fun hater
May 24, 2009

pretty well all things considered

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the people in this thread are somehow even more tedious than what I imagine watching a sew video is like

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arc Hammer posted:

The videos that are tagged as "-Topic"? Yeah, I hate that too.
All the -Topic videos are bot creations so there's nobody to outsource their moderation to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Motto posted:

the people in this thread are somehow even more tedious than what I imagine watching a sew video is like

For a sec I thought this was a dig on some sort of sewing youtube community and I was gonna ask for links :argh:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Pigbuster posted:

Rhythm Doctor level

tf is rhythm doctor

quote:

a tough-as-nails one-button rhythm game
inspired by Rhythm Heaven!

oh drat, is it as good as rhythm heaven? would love to play more games like that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is absolutely as good as rhythm heaven

only downside it that it’s been in early access for like three years, but there’s still a decent amount of content

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Motto posted:

This feels rather minor compared to the thread discourse on Wolf’s PC Saga last summer.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the second 'boss' of rhythm doctor absolutely technologically blew me away in a way ive never seen or expected from a game

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fun hater posted:

If people were good at being able to stop things that make them miserable, nobody would respond to your posts.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

I Before E posted:

If people were good at being able to stop things that make them miserable, nobody would respond to your posts.

ahahahahaha

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Still better than CQS

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Annointed posted:

Still better than CQS

That's the posting style Naked Snake and The Boss developed.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Motto posted:

This is the best thread on the whole drat forum, every time I see a mountain of new posts I'm just waiting to see what minor thing has set it all off.

Admittedly it's usually Zack Snyder, but sometimes it's incredible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFoLVEtUYJ4
grocery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

carrionman posted:

This is the best thread on the whole drat forum, every time I see a mountain of new posts I'm just waiting to see what minor thing has set it all off.

Admittedly it's usually Zack Snyder, but sometimes it's incredible