Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Please don't bully Etro, she's trying her best. Presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'll defend the FF8 plan as making perfect sense in the logic the game presents. Of course someone in the future would be vulnerable to people from the past if the time separating them was compressed!

And since the baddies plan was to force God to intervene this is somehow simultaneously a victory and defeat for the heroes and villains, both.

The baddies lost. Their plan was to force God to remake the world and they failed at that.

Even if you count the extended series they still failed because Lezard Valeth I Mean God got stabbed in the head when he tried to remake the world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I do appreciate the running gag of every deity in FNC thinking that giving Lightning cosmic power would work out for them, somehow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I'll say in XIII's defense is that the solution to the "killing Orphan will destroy the world" problem actually is something the heroes come up with. It's not pure divine intervention that stops Cocoon from crashing into Pulse--it's Fang and Vanille using their power to do a fusion dance and become Ragnarok, they just use their power to preserve rather than destroy. That part's pretty cool. It's just that this is never really established as an even remote possibility until it happens.

I also didn't really mind the heroes breaking out of Cie'th form through sheer force of will. That felt pretty par for the course for anime and JRPGs in general.

Thinking back, I think my only real issue with the ending is the part between the final fight with Barthandelus and the fight with Orphan where the heroes decide that they're just gonna kill Orphan anyway and hope it works out. I think if there'd been an indication that even just Vanille or Fang had a vague inkling of a plan in that scene, it might make it feel smoother, even if the actual plan isn't mentioned out loud (both for the player to have a surprise and because "we're going to sacrifice ourselves" would probably get some pushback from the rest of the party).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, I have a hypothesis that the "Cie" part of all the "nonsense words" is a little bit if Japanese wordplay: one of the meanings of "Shi" in Japanese is death, and I think it's also "Cie" as in "'C' for 'Crystal'."

See I can do it too you fuckin goober.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

anytime someone says “whoops,” “uh oh” or “oh poo poo” it’s technically a prayer in her name

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Eopia posted:

Doesn't the party outright lose and all turn into monsters in 13 and then through absolutely no efforts of their own they get restored back into humans by a deus ex machina and that's the complaint? Like it's not the heroes overcoming things through emotions and determination and friendship at all, they had absolutely nothing to do with their ability to continue fighting and win and save the day.
They were such shining examples of the destiny defying elements of humanity that Etro used her remaining energy to keep them from dying. If they were boring toadies they'd have been toast.

Schwarzwald posted:

I do appreciate the running gag of every deity in FNC thinking that giving Lightning cosmic power would work out for them, somehow.
She was a pretty good gatekeeper to be fair.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Actually the big twist was obvious because ETRO'S GATE was clearly in the background of the final battle and if you plebs read the loving datalogs you would have seen this poo poo coming.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

it's very funny to me that upon being created and told that she was supposed to look after the ffxiii universe etro immediately deleted herself from existence

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Harrow posted:

. And also I know absolutely nothing about XI so you could tell me anything you want about that story and I would have no choice but to believe you.

I dont really remember anything about XI's story details but the game was so actively hostile to the players that if you had a static group for missions it frequently felt like you were only winning through the power of friendship and determination

The more I think of it its actually kind of the main thing FFXI had that made you feel like you were a protagonist in an FF game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Actually the big twist was obvious because ETRO'S GATE was clearly in the background of the final battle and if you plebs read the loving datalogs you would have seen this poo poo coming.

Man that poo poo wasn't even datalogs. Rape Horizon's obsession was with concept art.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Raogrimm becoming the shadow lord counts as an emotional powerup

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

The big twist was obvious because Snow was right the whole time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

I honestly don't remember that plot thread but it's been at least a decade since I played it last so that's probably why

I mean a corner stone of the whole setting you said you liked so much was that the gods, while all incredibly powerful are all also incredibly limited in what they can do or what they're allowed to do. This even applies to Pulse Lindzei and Big Bhev themselves. They all have to use humans as pawns in order to create new things or make events happen. Humanity, in universe, are an engine of change because the gods themselves are Beautiful Marble Statues, graceful but unmoving. While they do talk about it in game (rarely I admit) it's kind of a core conceit you can piece together once you learn "Oh these gods Loooooove branding humans to get work done". the whole trilogy is about these divine beings not willing to live with their flaws and the humans that inevitably outgrow them when used as pawns.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It's more that FF13 seems really uninterested in exploring that stuff but then pulls it out for the ending as if it did, I think. A bit more sprinkled into the main story wouldn't have hurt rather than deep diving datalogs or lore bits in optional hunts. Regardless, 13 led to 13-2 and that game was fun as heck so I can forgive it (mostly)

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Mega64 posted:

I feel like for FF13 whatever story details they nailed or whatever falls apart when the ending pulls a literal deus ex machina because the writers literally could not come up with a better way to resolve the story. In a franchise that loves its "SURPRISE FINAL BOSS FUCKERS" twists and incredibly dumb story beats, it may be the worst-executed story moment in the franchise, and that includes TAY. I'm not gonna put all the blame on the writers since production was a clusterfuck and they may have been backed into a corner due to outside circumstances, but this is a series that always went loving crazy and somehow each game managed to stick the landing, so it's a drat shame it fell apart like that for 13.

Sometimes you have to punch Kars into outer space and let him head out of the narrative forever.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man that poo poo wasn't even datalogs. Rape Horizon's obsession was with concept art.

I'm sure there's a great explanation here, but what is Rape Horizon? I didn't get very far into FF13

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm sure there's a great explanation here, but what is Rape Horizon? I didn't get very far into FF13

Probably talking about Azure Horizon, former LPer who got perma'd for being a date rapist

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Runa posted:

Probably talking about Azure Horizon, former LPer who got perma'd for being a date rapist

oh, I get it. wildass reference to make, I didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh, I get it. wildass reference to make, I didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about lol

I guess them being obnoxious about videogames was just one more lovely thing about them that got overshadowed by the elephant in the room

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

See I can do it too you fuckin goober.

Yours is more relevant then thiers to be fair

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Harrow posted:

Okay yeah most of those examples make sense, though I would say that VII's example actually has a lot of setup to it and I wouldn't count it in the same category. Aerith is well established to have magic Planet powers, we know people to go the Lifestream when they die, we see the Lifestream emerge from the Planet more than once, it's very easy to see the logic of why that happens. It's also not quite like XIII's because the heroes go into the final battle fully expecting that they have a plan that might work (killing Sephiroth will free Holy, which is the only thing they know about that can stop Meteor), as opposed to XIII's where the entire plan is to count on the power of defying fate.

Same for, like, the big prayer scene in FFXIV. (I'll spoil this since Endwalker's still relatively new I guess) We've seen it happen before, and also in Endwalker, it's hammered into our heads that the final battle is taking place in a pocket dimension where emotions very specifically shape reality through a mechanism that has had an entire expansion's worth of setup. It comes out of the exact opposite of nowhere.

I'll grant IV, V, and VIII, and IX though, I was wrong there. I'm sure I could pick apart why XIII's ending felt so out of place to me compared to those other ones but I'd probably have to play it again to do that so, uh, it'll take some time. And also I know absolutely nothing about XI so you could tell me anything you want about that story and I would have no choice but to believe you.

My favorite thing about the XIV scene is that Y'shtola and Thancred's poses etc. are 1:1 to their prayer scenes in the original 2.0 intro

they're so loving good at seamlessly going back to earlier concepts/themes in that game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Same for, like, the big prayer scene in FFXIV. (I'll spoil this since Endwalker's still relatively new I guess) We've seen it happen before, and also in Endwalker, it's hammered into our heads that the final battle is taking place in a pocket dimension where emotions very specifically shape reality through a mechanism that has had an entire expansion's worth of setup. It comes out of the exact opposite of nowhere.

Also re:ff14 this only covers the one time you're talking about and not the dozens of other instances. Like say in 3.3 where you have ghosts of the dead showing up in the big emotional moment to help do a thing that literally the whole cast spent the patches leading up to it telling you was impossible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They were a frequent person in the thread and were the #1 poster of the dumb ETRO'S GATE stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They were a frequent person in the thread and were the #1 poster of the dumb ETRO'S GATE stuff.

Theyve been banned for like...a while it might be time to let go

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t think it’s made clear until the sequels but yes, they were saved through no volition or accomplishment of their own

if anything it’s like The Stand where the heroes just position themselves for the hand of God to resolve everything, except in 13’s case it happens to break the universe

Also unlike The Stand, FFXIII has a big theme of human free will. Humans can do as they please unlike the mighty fal'Cie, Bart's theme tong is literally called Fighting Fate, and our heroes often have lines like "we aren't pawns of the gods!"

Then Etro, a goddess, saves them. Oops.

Shocking revelation, Stephen King is a better writer than Toriyama or Watanabe.

GloomMouse posted:

I'm glad she's dead. I was rooting for Caius.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That might be the only time I've seen someone bring up the Stands ending as being a positive example to Mr.Kings abilities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Theyve been banned for like...a while it might be time to let go

I was literally responding to someone who referenced that specific thing. v:shobon:v

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I was literally responding to someone who referenced that specific thing. v:shobon:v

Im really high lol sorry. Pretend i said it to the other person

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Etro:
-Some kind of goddess I guess???

Caius:
-Has a cool voice
-Has cool music
-Name means “rejoice” but he’s miserable all the time, quality irony
-Has purple hair

sorry Etro, the winner is clear

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Im really high lol sorry. Pretend i said it to the other person

All good. That just means your Limit Break charges faster.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

That might be the only time I've seen someone bring up the Stands ending as being a positive example to Mr.Kings abilities.

I didn't say the ending was great. I don't even really like The Stand that much. But no one could say the ending wasn't thematically consistent. The book was never about the power of human free will since Captain Trips killed at random, it did not purge the un-righteous and spare the righteous. Even Flagg himself is derisively called the Devil's Imp and often has no clue why he does what he does. The good side and bad side are both caught up in a cosmic war in which they ae just pieces on a board.

I'm a big proponent of taking video games seriously. I remember arguing with Imp and others about this a lot when I first joined. I think video game writing can measure up to most any book, movie, or film. But if I was going to point ot a game to say "this is why video game writing should be taken seriously" I would not choose XIII because it's such an incoherent mess. (I'd probably pick IX or X.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think its a little farcical to compare a book writer with a video game writer since those mediums are very very different imo

Like would you compare a movie script to a book?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I think its a little farcical to compare a book writer with a video game writer since those mediums are very very different imo

i will compare literally any two things

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Not really a comment but:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cock hero flux posted:

i will compare literally any two things

Big same, no qualification

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“you can’t compare apples to oranges” why the hell not? maybe I just think oranges taste better, huh? is that so wrong?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Not really a comment but:

Holy poo poo what has man wrought

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad perry is still somehow getting work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People do this all the time since it seems like everyone's goal behind a book is to make it into a movie eventually.

But if you mean just picking a random book and a random movie, I guess it depends. The mediums ae different and video games are even more different. But if they're going for similar ideas, I think it's fair to say one piece of art executed it better than another.