Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Midnight 16/512 in hand. Fingerprint magnet as expected but still sexy as gently caress.

edit:

Also first real world test for what I use my computers for.

Slicing files to print on my 3d printer.

11th gen i7 laptop with 32gb of ram took 4+ minutes
M2 MBA 16GB ram less than 2.

Same file same slicing program.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LionArcher posted:

Holy poo poo I just looked at the coverage on Mac rumors of the new air, and I didn't realize what a trash fire the comments section there was. Like drat. It turns into a hate fest on you tubers, sexist as poo poo, and how the laptop is horrible for a ton of use cases that the air is clearly not built for.

People really need to stop using benchmarks as "the metric" to prove something is good or not.

Yeah, never read MacRumors comments.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher posted:

Holy poo poo I just looked at the coverage on Mac rumors of the new air, and I didn't realize what a trash fire the comments section there was. Like drat. It turns into a hate fest on you tubers, sexist as poo poo, and how the laptop is horrible for a ton of use cases that the air is clearly not built for.

People really need to stop using benchmarks as "the metric" to prove something is good or not.

You’ve been posting Apple stuff here for years dude, did you think all of the poo poo talk about MacRumors was exaggerated?

It’s a singularity of every possible negative stereotype of Apple fans, plus your bog-standard crop of online “tech enthusiast” morons

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought it was just a rumor

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i thought it was just a rumor

It says so in the name

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

retpocileh posted:

I mean, I really don't want to get dragged into a debate on this.

Just, in my opinion, on purely STEM-related topics, the quality of discourse on HN is higher than any other mainstream forum I've seen.

Maybe, sometimes, every once in a while. Mostly it's still just trash.

quote:

They do a good job of moderating, ensuring that the majority of comments actually contribute substance to the conversation, having a policy of responding to the strongest plausible interpretation of what someone says, not a weaker one that's easier to criticize and assuming good faith, which people for the most part actually follow.

LOL no they do not, otherwise there wouldn't be the problems you yourself mention

quote:

It's been a genuine breath of fresh air. Whenever I go to another social media forum, Reddit for example, the difference is stark. People are snarky and mean and combative for no reason at all, comments are often totally insubstantial, low quality, etc etc.

Of course, like has been pointed out and I agreed with before, this all goes out the window once you stray away from STEM topics. They do like to lick boots, dismiss the grievances of the poor and marginalized, and generally suck Peter Thiel's dick a whole lot. There's even a frightening amount of climate change denial for what should be a community of STEM majors, which is extra puzzling.

The reason they suck Peter Thiel's dick a lot, and the reason why the site is actually a giant trash fire, is that HN was created by a Thiel-adjacent startup-cultist techbro/dickhead who uses the site as a promotion and recruiting tool for startups, particularly the ones he invests in. Everything else flows from that. Yes that means you can have a slight illusion that it's something better because startup culture promise of money does attract highly knowledgeable people, but you also have to deal with the fact that it attracts people who are in it to get rich at any societal cost and they see nothing wrong with that. And you have to deal with the fact that the venn diagram of those guys and the STEMlords is not, in fact, two disjoint circles. HN's moderation will never do anything effective about this because the site's lifeblood is promoting and nurturing that get rich quick mindset.

to be fully :unsmigghh: pilled on HN just come join the yospos HN thread, i pinky swear you won't lose any sanity points

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

retpocileh posted:

I mean, I really don't want to get dragged into a debate on this.

Just, in my opinion, on purely STEM-related topics, the quality of discourse on HN is higher than any other mainstream forum I've seen.

lol no it isn’t. where else are you posting?

there are better subreddits, for chrissakes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Polygon comments section is better

lmao

the Ars Technica forums

Anandtech.com

lol

The LinusTechTips community

Literally anywhere else on the internet

the discussion board on your local Craigslist page

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Y'all, what's the way forward here?

I post examples of threads on HN that are deeply technical and interesting, with replies being written by people who invented the tech being discussed, all in neutral and polite/curious tones. I post examples of r/programming, r/webdev, r/rust or whatever programming forum and show that by and large the commenters don't seem to display the same level of subject matter expertise, and that there's a lot more shitposting.

People who disagree post examples of lovely comments and threads on HN, which, of course there are going to be.

We go around and around and it ends when?

I've already fully conceded that the politics on HN are a dumpster fire, so I don't think we're arguing that.

I go to HN to exclusively stay up to date and get a better understanding of STEM (especially programming) related topics, plus the occasional randomly interesting article about a totally esoteric topic, and do my best to argue against the libertarians and reactionaries as little as possible.

ARS Technica Forums programming subforum's last reply was 5 days ago, and the last one before that was 7 days ago. It's not active.

Anandtech programming subforums, the top 5 posts are:

"Hello"
"books to learn java"
"Visual Studio Code"
"Python for my 13 year old?"
"SQL help with count after group by"

LTT Forums programming subforums, the top posts are:

"Using an Android Tablet as a Macro keyboard"
"Mysql - How to sort ID by results of another table? (time)"
"Global Variables"
"Best Place to Learn Data Structures and Algorithms (C++)"
"(Java) What are the easiest jobs to acquire in Java development?"
"Floatplane Stack Introduction"
"Python doesnt want to compile"

These seem to be mostly beginner oriented, troubleshooting, stack overflow type questions. It's not comparable.

What I am arguing is that HN is on average higher quality discussion on STEM issues, and random interesting esoteric topics (as long as they aren't related to contemporary politics), than you find on Reddit, SA, or any other forum that I'm aware of. If you guys have a place to direct me to that has higher quality STEM (especially programming) discussion I am genuinely super open to it and would love to check it out.

Edit: Just tabbed over to HN, and this was one of the top posts, I mean come on man this poo poo is just beautiful - https://www.rd.com/article/the-night-i-met-einstein/

Is there somewhere else where stuff this high quality is so consistently aggregated? Genuinely asking, because I'd love to add more sites to my rotation.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 18, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile on YouTube, the usual suspects are cranking their M2 Airs open with suction cups and guitar picks and filling their machines with thermal pads

The verdict is: yes, it helps somewhat; in some cases it lets the M2 Air actually beat out some benchmark scores from the fan-equipped 13-inch M2 MBP

1 and 1.5 mm thermal pads seem to be the right thickness

They're not really going to help with games that drive up GPU usage over sustained periods, but they will help peeps with some shorter length renders / plugins, like most image editing apps

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple should have just put a fan in the dang thing, imo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

retpocileh posted:

Y'all, what's the way forward here?

I post examples of threads on HN that are deeply technical and interesting, with posts being written by people who invented the tech being discussed, all in neutral and polite/curious tones. I post examples of r/programming, r/webdev, r/rust or whatever programming forum and show that by and large the commenters don't seem to display the same level of subject matter expertise, and that there's a lot more shitposting.

People who disagree post examples of lovely comments and threads on HN, which, of course there are going to be.

We go around and around and it ends when?

I've already fully conceded that the politics on HN are a dumpster fire, so I don't think we're arguing that.

I go to HN to exclusively stay up to date and get a better understanding of STEM (especially programming) related topics, plus the occasional randomly interesting article about a totally esoteric topic, and do my best to argue against the libertarians and reactionaries as little as possible.

ARS Technica Forums programming subforum's last reply was 5 days ago, and the last one before that was 7 days ago. It's not active.

Anandtech programming subforums, the top 5 posts are:

"Hello"
"books to learn java"
"Visual Studio Code"
"Python for my 13 year old?"
"SQL help with count after group by"

LTT Forums programming subforums, the top posts are:
"Using an Android Tablet as a Macro keyboard"
"Mysql - How to sort ID by results of another table? (time)"
"Global Variables"
"Best Place to Learn Data Structures and Algorithms (C++)"
"(Java) What are the easiest jobs to acquire in Java development?"
"Floatplane Stack Introduction"
"Python doesnt want to compile"

These seem to be mostly beginner oriented, troubleshooting, stack overflow type questions. It's not comparable.

What I am arguing is that HN is on average higher quality discussion on STEM issues, and random interesting esoteric topics (as long as they aren't related to contemporary politics), than you find on Reddit, SA, or any other forum that I'm aware of. If you guys have a place to direct me to that has higher quality STEM (especially programming) discussion I am genuinely super open to it and would love to check it out.

Edit: Just tabbed over to HN, and this was one of the top posts, I mean come on man this poo poo is just great - https://www.rd.com/article/the-night-i-met-einstein/

Is there somewhere else where stuff this high quality is so consistently aggregated? Genuinely asking, because I'd love to add more sites to my rotation.

code jockey poo poo=/=science, hth

like, not to be flip, obviously compsci is science and plenty of scientists code for their work and whatnot, but as a molecular biologist Hacker News isn’t anywhere on my radar for lay science news and discussion, never mind anything serious

scrolling down the front page of HN right now, it looks more like any old “I loving love science LOLZORS ROFLSTOMP science=win” message board on any old website than a place for good science news

Also HN is super Y-Combinator affiliated and wears that proudly. So you’re basically filtering out everybody with any self respect and selecting for wannabe-Thiels and Elon Musk fanboys from the getgo.

As far as good, fun places to be go: honestly the field-specific threads in Ask/Tell are all really good, as are all of the academic/career chat threads

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

code jockey poo poo=/=science, hth

like, not to be flip, obviously compsci is science and plenty of scientists code for their work and whatnot, but as a molecular biologist Hacker News isn’t anywhere on my radar for lay science news and discussion, never mind anything serious

scrolling down the front page of HN right now, it looks more like any old “I loving love science LOLZORS ROFLSTOMP science=win” message board on any old website than a place for good science news

Also HN is super Y-Combinator affiliated and wears that proudly. So you’re basically filtering out everybody with any self respect and selecting for wannabe-Thiels and Elon Musk fanboys from the getgo.

As far as good, fun places to be go: honestly the field-specific threads in Ask/Tell are all really good, as are all of the academic/career chat threads

Huh, I'm not really getting the IFLScience vibes from the current front page:

But I appreciate the suggestions about A/T and Academic/Career. I don't spend much time there and I'll start checking them out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile on YouTube, the usual suspects are cranking their M2 Airs open with suction cups and guitar picks and filling their machines with thermal pads

The verdict is: yes, it helps somewhat; in some cases it lets the M2 Air actually beat out some benchmark scores from the fan-equipped 13-inch M2 MBP

1 and 1.5 mm thermal pads seem to be the right thickness

They're not really going to help with games that drive up GPU usage over sustained periods, but they will help peeps with some shorter length renders / plugins, like most image editing apps
Is it like the M1 MBA mod where it just transfers the excess heat directly to your crotch instead?

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hacker News is great if you want to read comments by people that think they're experts in the field.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

japtor posted:

Is it like the M1 MBA mod where it just transfers the excess heat directly to your crotch instead?

I have no doubt it'll do the same thing. There's a reason why Apple always puts in an airgap and even a bit of plastic heatshield, that's what prevents the bottom surface of the laptop from getting mega hot (even in the models with a fan).

Hopefully at some point Apple redesigns the 13" pro with the new design language so there's a good fan cooled option for the M3 sub-14" crowd. (I wouldn't want to buy the M2 13" pro, ew touchbar)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I’m having a bit of a panic as I wait this week for my M2 Air to arrive. Did I screw up by not just getting an M1 Pro? Mainly for the refresh rate. One of the big thing that lured me back to iOS from Android after 4 years was the 13 Pro Max’s 120hz display. And I’d been used to 144hz from my gaming PC. But I hardly notice 60hz content on my TV so maybe I’ll be fine with the Air?

Any opinions?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I’m having a bit of a panic as I wait this week for my M2 Air to arrive. Did I screw up by not just getting an M1 Pro? Mainly for the refresh rate. One of the big thing that lured me back to iOS from Android after 4 years was the 13 Pro Max’s 120hz display. And I’d been used to 144hz from my gaming PC. But I hardly notice 60hz content on my TV so maybe I’ll be fine with the Air?

Any opinions?

What’s the price difference between the M2 config you’re getting and the M1 pro you’re considering? Is the better screen worth that to you?

Regarding panic, always keep in mind apple has a 14 day return policy. Worst case scenario try out the air for a couple weeks then make your decision.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I personally don't really notice it on a laptop. Yes, it's less smooth than the 144 Hz monitor I have, but doesn't really matter. But in the end, only you can decide.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

One of the big thing that lured me back to iOS from Android after 4 years was the 13 Pro Max’s 120hz display. And I’d been used to 144hz from my gaming PC.

That's a curious reason, with so many Android phones having high-refresh rate screens.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.engadget.com/apple-macbook-butterfly-keyboard-lawsuit-settlement-154210232.html

Apple finally pays out $50 million to settle the infamous butterfly keyboard lawsuit

They managed to sell three effing years worth of those poo poo keyboards though

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Opted to replace 2015 mba with 14 inch mbp instead of m2 air.

It’s admittedly overkill for me but a lovely machine.

I figured it wasn’t much more for the nicer screen and more power once I’d optioned the air up to 16/512.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.engadget.com/apple-macbook-butterfly-keyboard-lawsuit-settlement-154210232.html

Apple finally pays out $50 million to settle the infamous butterfly keyboard lawsuit

They managed to sell three effing years worth of those poo poo keyboards though

lol my dad just took his 2017 MBP to get the keyboard replaced Monday.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Opted to replace 2015 mba with 14 inch mbp instead of m2 air.

It’s admittedly overkill for me but a lovely machine.

I figured it wasn’t much more for the nicer screen and more power once I’d optioned the air up to 16/512.

You get up to ~$400 if you've had to replace the keyboard multiple times. Assuming those keyboard replacements were free that's not too bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Exactly

It's for those folks who miss having boiling hot metal plates in their lap

Now Tubers like Marcus Brownlee are saying the M2 Airs are prone to scratching and that you should cover your M2 Air in decals to avoid this.

BRB, gonna get a set of felt covered tongs and chopsticks to pick up the M2 Airs and type on them..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The M1 doesn't get uncomfortably hot with the mod, imo

It does make a big difference in sustained loads like playing a game.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

lol my dad just took his 2017 MBP to get the keyboard replaced Monday.

Was it free and did it come with a new battery? My 2018's left command key isn't registering every time it's pressed down, and I'm curious if I'll get a free battery replacement if I take it in.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Gay Retard posted:

Was it free and did it come with a new battery? My 2018's left command key isn't registering every time it's pressed down, and I'm curious if I'll get a free battery replacement if I take it in.

It should refresh the battery too, when Apple services the keyboard or battery on these models they just replace the entire top case assembly - consists of the aluminum frame, riveted-on keyboard, glued-in battery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

BobHoward posted:

It should refresh the battery too, when Apple services the keyboard or battery on these models they just replace the entire top case assembly - consists of the aluminum frame, riveted-on keyboard, glued-in battery.

Yeah as far as I know this is what’s getting done. It’s a 3-5 day turnaround though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any opinions?

I don't really notice a difference between my old 16" 60hz screen and my new ProMotion one, and I'm really finicky about frame rates when it comes to gaming.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

prom candy posted:

I don't really notice a difference between my old 16" 60hz screen and my new ProMotion one, and I'm really finicky about frame rates when it comes to gaming.

That’s good to hear! Worst decision I ever made was buying that 144hz monitor 4 years ago, ruined most 60hz displays for me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That’s good to hear! Worst decision I ever made was buying that 144hz monitor 4 years ago, ruined most 60hz displays for me

Same yeah, I don't really care for day to day computing but when I'm playing Rocket League I need my 144hz. Which means if I ever want to get a 4k monitor I'm also going to need to shell out a billion dollars for a GPU that can drive 4k@120+.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a high refresh delay is nice and i do notice the difference on my 144hz gsync display, but if i had to pick one “pro” feature to drop between a pro and air, it would be that. it doesn’t make that big of a difference to have slightly smoother scrolling and motion.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Criss-cross posted:

That's a curious reason, with so many Android phones having high-refresh rate screens.

You can have as high a refresh rate as you want, but it's not going to make a meaningful difference if the animations aren't consistently smooth. Which every time I've tried an Android phone they aren't.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Well, here's the likely reason why Apple has so few display outs in the base M1: their display refresh controllers are so big that M1 Max spends more silicon on its five display controllers than its ten CPU cores. Thread includes some speculation about why they're huge (ignore most people other than Hector Martin, the OP - he's the guy leading the effort to port Linux to Apple Silicon, and actually knows his poo poo).

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1549672494210113536

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

101 posted:

You can have as high a refresh rate as you want, but it's not going to make a meaningful difference if the animations aren't consistently smooth. Which every time I've tried an Android phone they aren't.

You haven't experienced jank until you've experienced it in 120hz

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

101 posted:

How many years ago did you last try an Android phone.

But also, I have reduce motion enabled on everything, hate animations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Criss-cross posted:

How many years ago did you last try an Android phone.

But also, I have reduce motion enabled on everything, hate animations.

2018 for me. Whatever the flagship Samsung was that year. I lasted about 3 weeks before scurrying back to iPhone.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyone know what could cause an m1 air keyboard to just stop working out of the blue? trying to help a friend fix theirs.

the trackpad still works, and the power button / fingerprint reader still work, but the keys stopped just working a couple days ago for no apparent reason. the caps lock LED doesn't light up either. pretty sure it's not just a software thing because it hasn't fixed itself in multiple reboots and i also can't interrupt the bootloader by holding down any of the usual keys. an external USB keyboards still works, though.

i don't have a pentalobe screwdriver handy so i can't open this up to check cables, but gonna borrow or buy one and take a peek unless anyone has any better ideas. it's a couple months past 1 year from the original purchase date and has no applecare, so i don't think i'll suggest taking it into an apple store except as a last resort.

edit:
another thing, about this mac -> system report doesn't show the keyboard or trackpad (even though trackpad still works) anywhere that i can find.

i compared this to an intel macbook, and they do show up in the USB section under the "Apple T2 Bus" list. i couldn't find the equivalent anywhere in the m1 air system report. might just be a difference between the way the report works for intel and apple silicon hardware, though. when i plug in an external USB keyboard, it does show up in the USB section of the system report. otherwise it's empty.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

prom candy posted:

2018 for me. Whatever the flagship Samsung was that year. I lasted about 3 weeks before scurrying back to iPhone.

I thought I liked android but then I realized I just liked emulators and changing app icons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bad Purchase posted:

another thing, about this mac -> system report doesn't show the keyboard or trackpad (even though trackpad still works) anywhere that i can find.

i compared this to an intel macbook, and they do show up in the USB section under the "Apple T2 Bus" list. i couldn't find the equivalent anywhere in the m1 air system report. might just be a difference between the way the report works for intel and apple silicon hardware, though. when i plug in an external USB keyboard, it does show up in the USB section of the system report. otherwise it's empty.

I only see the keyboard here on my M1, and it is lumped with the trackpad