Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kavros posted:

it's extremely bizarre watching tatsuya ishida's extremely strange, twisty path from crass misogynism, to transphobic radfem militancy, to anti social justice antisemitic conspiratorialism, to conservative traditionalist misogynism

i mean i don't know who or what took that guy's fragile psyche and dunked it into an industrial blender, but he doesn't produce a comic anymore, just a case study of psychological decline

I blame the comic strip syndicates, they dropped the ball by not giving him a bland strip we could all ignore.
A real 'Hitler rejected by the art academy' situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

By popular demand posted:

I blame the comic strip syndicates, they dropped the ball by not giving him a bland strip we could all ignore.
A real 'Hitler rejected by the art academy' situation.

And so we get basically another Stonetoss instead, complete with the punchline for today's Shitfest being "a LGBT person gets violently assaulted".

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
You can't even compare it to stonetoss, because stonetoss exhibits coherence both in theme and in comic delivery, so it gets used in successful political messaging

sinfest can't accomplish that as long as it remains a frail, incoherent free association of ideologically charged pseudo-profundity (so, indefinitely)

it can't be used except as a comforting ideological rorschach blot for a very narrow group of bigots who will build up a message around whatever structureless garble they get delivered and go "woa so deep"

a good comic, etc etc

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Not only is Sinfest’s first commentary on, not just Dobbs but abortion as anything but a joke, Roe a vague allusion (it’s a uterus on a protest sign, abortion is not mentioned) but it’s also just a background prop to yet another attack on trans people.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't even think it's about Roe. I think it's just more transphobia. I read the sign as saying "I'm a real woman because I have XX chromosomes and a uterus." "Woman = uterus" is a thing transphobes love to say.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Kavros posted:

it's extremely bizarre watching tatsuya ishida's extremely strange, twisty path from crass misogynism, to transphobic radfem militancy, to anti social justice antisemitic conspiratorialism, to conservative traditionalist misogynism

i mean i don't know who or what took that guy's fragile psyche and dunked it into an industrial blender, but he doesn't produce a comic anymore, just a case study of psychological decline

As a case study of a cartoonist in psychological decline, Ishidi is in the same club as Louis Wain [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wain]] and Percy Crosby [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Crosby]]. Assuming he hasn't alienated everyone in his life but do you think any of Ishida's friends and family ever told him to get help? Normally, a strip like this would irritate and piss me off but its content is such incoherent gibberish that I almost feel guilty for reading it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ZZT the Fifth posted:

And so we get basically another Stonetoss instead, complete with the punchline for today's Shitfest being "a LGBT person gets violently assaulted".

https://twitter.com/Pinko69420/status/1547986749195837440?t=esve-ZDYhLcMzuQf7M0RVA&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I'm a little surprised nobody's taken it a step further than Skelly and gone "nah, 10 year-old rape victims don't need abortions".

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Everyone's least favorite reddit artist GPrime has taken a short break from his preferred pastime of drawing crying liberal women to announce to the world that he is Horny For Butts.

Not technically NWS, but timg'd/spoilered because....yeah. Also note the self-insert on the bottom right.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Zero_Grade posted:

Everyone's least favorite reddit artist GPrime has taken a short break from his preferred pastime of drawing crying liberal women to announce to the world that he is Horny For Butts.

Not technically NWS, but timg'd/spoilered because....yeah. Also note the self-insert on the bottom right.
Hell, same.

Leeched from Fox News because gently caress 'em.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

CALIFORNIA IS NOT FREE

Gavin Newsom recently bragged about how free California was compared with Texas and Florida. A lot of people have been leaving California for the latter two states and Newsom wants them to return. He advertised California as having more freedom than other states—specifically Florida. Could it be that Newsom (also known as ‘hairdo’) is doing this simply to draw attention to himself? Will he be challenging Biden for a 2024 presidential run? Probably. Elections are rigged in California and Newsom no doubt thinks the Democrat Party can again rig a presidential election—this time in his favor.

Is California really more free than Florida? Maybe Newsom was specifically referring to the freedom to have late-term abortions on demand in his state. Or perhaps he was referring to the homeless and how free they are to pitch tents wherever they please. Californians are free to shoot up drugs in public or even defecate on sidewalks. Criminals can commit crimes over and over again and California’s district attorneys will release them back onto the streets to commit those crimes again.

We know Newsom was free enough to not wear a Covid mask while mandating it for all of his citizens.

People and businesses have been fleeing California for many reasons: High taxes across the board, rising power costs, terrible water and land management, failing schools, and collapsing infrastructure. Not to mention California’s growing homeless and crime problems. Newsom’s slick sloganeering and advertising should not fool anyone into coming back.

— Ben Garrison

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Ben Garrison posted:

terrible water and land management

So what does he think is good water and land management?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Rudicron posted:

So what does he think is good water and land management?
Those are the parts of his cartoon that I don't know anything about. It's safe to assume anything Garrison believes is dumb as poo poo but I'd appreciate a tl;dr here so I know why he's wrong.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The state of the environment report which was completed last year but held back by the previous government until the election will be released today, although a summary has already been given out about it is (as can be expected) quite dire:
State of the environment: shocking report shows how Australia’s land and wildlife are being gradually destroyed (Guardian).

Rowe:

Treasurer Jim Chalmers. Wayne Swan was treasurer for Rudd and Gillard. Chalmers seeks bipartisan approach to imminent RBA review (SMH). ANZ announces $5 billion Suncorp Bank takeover (ABC).

Downes:

Royal Hobart Hospital nurses threaten strike action amid mounting COVID-19 pressures (ABC). This isn't just in Tasmania, the COVID pressures on the health system are Australia wide.

Wilcox:

Knight:

Cameron Smith surges past Rory McIlroy to claim maiden major triumph in The Open at St Andrews (ABC).

Warren Brown:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Adam Bandt is leader of the Greens.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 18, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Stonetoss knew exactly what it was trying to be, a cartoony gag comic thinly concealing fascist ideology, and did that. Which made it actively harmful. Sinfest is just... kind of tragic. Ishida genuinely wants to say something meaningful but is so up his own rear end it just comes out as utter garbled nonsense, that never manages to focus on any coherent narrative or statement before he remembers another thing about Society These Days to be mad about that he needs to shoehorn in to whatever is currently going on.

NDP posted:

As a case study of a cartoonist in psychological decline, Ishidi is in the same club as Louis Wain [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wain]] and Percy Crosby [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Crosby]]. Assuming he hasn't alienated everyone in his life but do you think any of Ishida's friends and family ever told him to get help? Normally, a strip like this would irritate and piss me off but its content is such incoherent gibberish that I almost feel guilty for reading it.

are there examples of Crosby's later polemical work online? To add to the list I think i've mentioned Cerebus #186 before here as the gold standard in cartoonist meltdowns, which Ishida has not quite got to the level of yet, though give it 5 years or so. There is something kind of grimly fascinating about a piece of art deteriorating as the artist's own obsessions start to take precedence over making a good work

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Angepain posted:

Stonetoss knew exactly what it was trying to be, a cartoony gag comic thinly concealing fascist ideology, and did that. Which made it actively harmful. Sinfest is just... kind of tragic. Ishida genuinely wants to say something meaningful but is so up his own rear end it just comes out as utter garbled nonsense, that never manages to focus on any coherent narrative or statement before he remembers another thing about Society These Days to be mad about that he needs to shoehorn in to whatever is currently going on.

are there examples of Crosby's later polemical work online? To add to the list I think i've mentioned Cerebus #186 before here as the gold standard in cartoonist meltdowns, which Ishida has not quite got to the level of yet, though give it 5 years or so. There is something kind of grimly fascinating about a piece of art deteriorating as the artist's own obsessions start to take precedence over making a good work

I tried to find some examples of this and am now deeply confused:

http://www.skippy.com/skippy1.html

quote:

During his career as a celebrity American artist and author, Percy Crosby crusaded against corruption and stood up to the likes of Al Capone and his henchmen when American citizens were too frightened to speak out. He used his Irish humor and gift of satire to lampoon politicians, President Roosevelt, the Ku Klux Klan, and fought for civil liberties, child labor laws, rights of veterans, and freedom of the press. Although he made a profound impression with millions of Americans, primarily through Skippy, the loveable and mischievous cartoon character who became a household word, Percy Crosby was unable to prevent retaliation by those who coveted control of Skippy for their commercial gain, and wanted him silenced. Percy Crosby was falsely imprisoned in a New York mental hospital for the last 16 years of his life, following years of harassment by the IRS. He referred to this period of his life as a "political witch hunt". During this time, Crosby's famous Skippy trademark and its valuable goodwill was pirated by a bankrupt peanut butter company, which later merged with a Fortune 500 company, making a fortune in illicit sales under the Skippy brand name.

The true story concealed from Crosby's heirs, aided and abetted by Percy Crosby's lawyers, has shocked thousands of Skippy fans, collectors, consumers, artists, writers and lawyers. Thanks to the advent of the Internet, the lawful Skippy heirs can reveal what the food pirates (Bestfoods) and their army of attorneys concealed from the courts and the public for decades, threatening to use their "political influence in Washington to keep certain doors forever shut" to Skippy's business. Bestfoods' legal department, apprehensive of being exposed on the Internet as the naked Emperor, has recently changed its website about its Skippy history, and compounded its conduct by engaging in willful wire fraud, a federal crime.

The familiar saying applies here:
"The only way evil can prevail is for men of good will to say and do nothing."

That site was set up by Joan, Percy's daughter, who died a couple years ago and was apparently locked in battles over trademark rights to the comic her whole life. I've not got the time to sort it all out atm.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 19, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
This seems like a hell of a can of worms. I look forward to the two hour youtube video detailing multiple perspectives on what the gently caress happened in three years or so, made by... somebody else, bagsy not me

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All coverage of Crosby's situation that takes his side seems to be basically repeating language from Joan (who ofc had a financial interest in all this), so giant block of salt.

That said I don't recall any unhinged polemical comics from Skippy; I think when Crosby lost it he mostly did so while not producing the comic at all. the place to ask would be the incredibly great comic strips thread down in BSS; they've got a century of memory there and I know they've been posting through the entire Skippy oeuvre.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Spoilers! I only subject myself to it on sundays!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm a little surprised nobody's taken it a step further than Skelly and gone "nah, 10 year-old rape victims don't need abortions".

Well, GOP politicians have, but I assume you mean from right wing political cartoonists.

In which case Branco is on vacation and I haven't seen anything from Lester or McCoy since it came out the news was true, so there's always the possibility they're just around the corner from saying it! Hell, even that Skelley is borderline saying that.

Those are the parts of his cartoon that I don't know anything about. It's safe to assume anything Garrison believes is dumb as poo poo but I'd appreciate a tl;dr here so I know why he's wrong.

I don't know about the water management, since I have no idea how Ben would spin "Corporations are draining lakes dry" as somehow the fault of leftism, like it's straight up no regulations capitalism that he loves so much. Not saying he couldn't do it, I just don't know how he would. Maybe just say the government is secretly draining the water.

Anyway! The bad land management policies is almost certainly due to statements (which are sort of true) that having gigantic campaigns about stopping forest fires is partially to blame for the out of control wildfires. Less fires mean that dead trees and branches and lots of needles/leaves don't get burned off easily, and those catch fire very quickly. Controlled burnings to get rid of that sort of stuff is usually how it's taken care of, but I think (I'm not entirely sure and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) California isn't really putting any budget into that, just fire prevention. So when a fire does spark, due to the large amount of extra flammable stuff, the wildfires get incredibly strong. This is very bad land management.

This isn't to give Ben too much credit, because while he may be right about the reason, he 100% is in the camp of "This is why the government trying to do anything is bad, and we should get rid of it" which is bullshit and would not solve the problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tl:dr on water and land management.

We're in the middle of a historic drought. Thanks to beetles, a lot of trees are dead and standing. A lot of grasslands/shrublands are dry. 46% of California is Federal land, over which the State government has no control at all. Historic forest management has been "never let it burn, ever" which turns out to be bad for managing woodlands. Put them all together, and you've got eternal wildfires.

On water, see above re: historic drought. Add to that that much of California's fertile land is irrigated, originally by the rivers/canals, now running dry, and now by wells, also running dry. A house in one California town burned down last week or the week before because there was no water available. At all. People in the Central Valley are angry about the state not giving them more water; they want the remaining protected wetlands to run dry so that the farmland can run another year or two.

Western water rights, and California water rights in particular, are a tortured mess, in which the people who started drawing from a particular watershed first have "senior rights", and there are tranches of rights based on when you started drawing the water. There are also pre-1914 rights and post-1914 rights, with amazing complexities including "riparian rights". In particular, if you stop drawing your water for five consecutive years, you lose that right entirely, making the land worthless. California. California has just told a lot of farmers that they can't draw water at all this year. This is unpopular.

Meanwhile, Trump claimed that we'd be just fine if we raked the forests (A, no, B, mostly not ours) and stopped letting the rivers run to the sea. People like Garrison believe this.

e: California absolutely does prescribed burns and management. The problem is that the amount of the year in which you can safely do a controlled burn is diminishing year by year, and there's a hell of a lot of brush to cut, much of which is manual labor.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Angepain posted:

I honestly want to know what was the record percentage of an entire year his 'death kills father time on new years' obligatory storyline went on, back before the plots started to blend into a weird soap opera

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I know what he's doing and I know that it sucks but out of context this one is actually pretty funny.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Tom Stiglich

Wild guess here, but I'm assuming that's not what Lia Thomas actually looks like. :thunk:

Gary Varvel

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The part in Fallout: New Vegas where an independent California has no real alternative but to try and militarily annex the Colorado River is probably one of the most realistic things in the whole series.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't even think it's about Roe. I think it's just more transphobia. I read the sign as saying "I'm a real woman because I have XX chromosomes and a uterus." "Woman = uterus" is a thing transphobes love to say.

Yes this is correct, it's a TERF sign, he has still not referenced abortion even obliquely

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

Wild guess here, but I'm assuming that's not what Lia Thomas actually looks like. :thunk:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Holy poo poo, they did that to you for advocating for/talking to someone who advocates for lower taxes?!"

"No, not that."

"So, deregulation?"

"Ha ha no not that either."

"So what topics could you have disagreed with them with that made them do this to you?"

"Oh, you know the ones."

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

jfc

Kelly nominations: least concealed bigotry, worst likeness, worst overall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For some reason I'm reminded of

In the mind of the shithead bigot, the final battle for humanity is between giant strong Muslim Mujahid and giant strong trans woman, while the shells of failed ideologies like liberalism, The West, sex binary, and the traditional family are ground like calcified ashes beneath their weirdly obsessively detailed feet.

(gently caress off, Stiglich)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Crosby: his 1938 book 'Would Communism Work Out in America?' is on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/wouldcommunismwo00crosrich/page/290/mode/2up

From a brief scan it's all about that dangerous commie FDR and how he's destroying America, but I'm not reading 300 pages of that shite.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Works creates freedom".

Literally just wiki and check the Russian translation: «Труд делает свободным», «Труд освобождает» or «Работа освобождает».

quote:

Tom Stiglich

Better right-wing cartoonists (Skelly?) just go with the face and shoulders.

Google apparently banned Stanis. And avoiding the obvious self own with "codified" rather than "tried to codify" was too much work.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 19, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Tory leadership race – Conservative MPs culled the five-strong field by one more in a vote on Monday"

Telegraph:

:sun: Record highs, travel chaos, schools close ... and it’s going to get hotter - Britain in a heatwave :supaburn:

Matt:

Times:

UK heatwave: Fires destroy homes in London and Kent — follow live

Evening Standard:

Tory leadership race heats up as Liz Truss and Penny Mordaunt close gap on Rishi Sunak

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Why is the media being so alarmist about this literally all-time-record heatwave? Here in REALITY (depicted by my cartoon), a senior couple looks on smugly, knowingly, needing only a fan and an open window."
Not pictured: The senior citizens who have already loving died from this heatwave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or people who have to work, who Blower occasionally pretends to care about when he can use it as a dig at the middle class woke from home millennials.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

This is like some kind of "can you spot 7 mistakes" game. I found open window, no curtains on the sunny side, drinking hot tea, the fan is pointing away from people, they are wearing too much clothes, should turn off the MASSIVE 100" telly because it also creates heat.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

readingatwork posted:

I know what he's doing and I know that it sucks but out of context this one is actually pretty funny.

May I ask how? I don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

This is like some kind of "can you spot 7 mistakes" game. I found open window, no curtains on the sunny side, drinking hot tea, the fan is pointing away from people, they are wearing too much clothes, should turn off the MASSIVE 100" telly because it also creates heat.
#7 is they are in a Blower cartoon