Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh thank god, I thought if someone found out I'm using scripts to do my job that I'd get replaced. I haven't done work in... a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh thank god, I thought if someone found out I'm using scripts to do my job that I'd get replaced. I haven't done work in... a while...

Two valid ways to approach that. Say nothing and skate by until someone takes another look at the process, this might be tomorrow or never. Or document the automation, take it to your manager, and leverage that into something that pays more.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
currently looking at a few ways to script away my work but sadly our systems have 20+ years of technical debt. so far my big contribution lies in putting in a shortcut from the software installer folder to the license key folder which has already saved me a solid chunk of time

gotta say, I'm lucky I have the right kind of brain where I can be connected to and using 4 computers at once and enjoy that

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

I'm getting paid to copy and paste information into an excel spreadsheet

Why did I get a cert again? 7 year old me could do this

Don't forget to save said spreadsheet to a file share that nobody ever looks at. Or attach it to an email that will inevitably be filtered to the trash. Both are valid options.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or document the automation, take it to your manager, and leverage that into something that pays more.

:hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Two valid ways to approach that. Say nothing and skate by until someone takes another look at the process, this might be tomorrow or never. Or document the automation, take it to your manager, and leverage that into something that pays more.
Alternatively: go and get a second (remote) job, do it during regular job hours, collect two paychecks at a time and speedrun towards retirement.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I like the sound of option 1.5, keep my ear to the ground and skate until I think someone's going to take another look, then try to leverage better pay.

FMguru posted:

Alternatively: go and get a second (remote) job, do it during regular job hours, collect two paychecks at a time and speedrun towards retirement.

I do not want to work.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

currently looking at a few ways to script away my work but sadly our systems have 20+ years of technical debt. so far my big contribution lies in putting in a shortcut from the software installer folder to the license key folder which has already saved me a solid chunk of time

gotta say, I'm lucky I have the right kind of brain where I can be connected to and using 4 computers at once and enjoy that

Inceptions can be fun! Until you forget which level you are on and fix their “arrange by penis”.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ptier posted:

Inceptions can be fun! Until you forget which level you are on and fix their “arrange by penis”.

Nothing like logging onto a virtual desktop to access a terminal server to take remote control of a client.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I was supporting the jail's medical clinics there was a LOT of down time between doctors loving up their printers. My office was in the actual jail proper in an old sergeants office so a locked door with no windows next to the tanks. I slept a whole bunch and read SA. Kinda wish I had studied and gotten certs instead but eh my path turned out okay I suppose.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nothing like logging onto a virtual desktop to access a terminal server to take remote control of a client.

I once did VMware workstation -> VM running on my esxi box at home because our VPN client didn’t do split tunneling -> RDP to my desktop at work -> RDP to a jump box in the admin vlan -> idrac over a lovely WAN vpn connection to India to set up a server. The mouse lag was incredible but all I really had to do was log in and set static IP, I had imaged it before we shipped it over there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm off today but that doesn't mean I've been able to help myself from checking emails all day.
The last one I read was my manager saying that he was going to turn off Access Based Enumeration because it negatively affects SMB performance.

...yup okay have fun with that.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1548863166301450242

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tokin opposition posted:

I'm getting paid to copy and paste information into an excel spreadsheet

Why did I get a cert again? 7 year old me could do this

congratulations, you made it. poo poo work defines your beginning. how you handle it will define the rest

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just wait until you’re paid to spend hours sorting Ethernet cables by length.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
or making ethernet cables to custom length.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

What are the implications of managing URL rewriting rules at the CDN level versus the reverse proxy/load balancer level?
Similarly, when should I opt for an HTTP redirect over server side URL rewriting?

Let’s use two examples:
- We need to redirect/rewrite example.com/app to example.com/app/
- we need to redirect/rewrite example.com/app/shoes/ to example.com/app/query_string&categorty=69420

Assume all internal content sends requests to the friendly URL.

For the second example I think it makes more sense to do a URL rewrite to preserve the friendly URL in the browser bar. We could do a redirect, but that means the user would see the ugly URL and you get links floating around in the wild that don’t correspond to your app design standards, which also limits your ability to change category numbers in the future without breaking existing links and loving your SEO.

For the first question, I think it makes more sense to do an HTTP redirect. Similarly, if you’re doing an HTTP redirect, it makes sense to do that at the CDN level, since the client needs to make a new HTTP request to the friendly URL anyways, and you don’t want the same request to do the CDN -> backend hop twice. Similarly, if app/ is what you’re using internally, it’s probably also what you want your customer to see.

That leaves the question of “where to do rewrites/redirects”, whether at the backend webserver (nginx/HAProxy/traefok/etc) or the CDN level. Again for redirects I think the highest level of abstraction makes the most sense.

For rewrites I’m not so sure. My inclination here is to offload the compute to the CDN where possible since they probably have more of it than you. This doesn’t matter much for the first example since you’re really trying to guard against typos. But for the second example you’re going to see the rewrite on every request to /app/shoes/, which is hopefully a high volume of requests. I guess at this point performance test the two and see if there’s a difference?

Quick Answer: Which CDN provider? If it's Fastly do everything on Fastly forever. If it's anything else, switch to Fastly or do it at the origin. If you have to maintain CDN agnostic behavior, setup a mid-tier Fastly CDN to do all your heavy lifting and edge business logic and proxy everything through that.

I'd recommend trying to build a coherent policy based first on any technical limitations or considerations, then working with product and site design teams to understand what they care about the most. My general policy, that I've developed with our core website team is: "once it's in the react spa, will it stay there, if so, probably do redirects/rewrites there, otherwise, case by case, probably on the cdn".

Pulling apart your questions:
"For the first question, [We need to redirect/rewrite example.com/app to example.com/app/ ]I think it makes more sense to do an HTTP redirect. Similarly, if you’re doing an HTTP redirect, it makes sense to do that at the CDN level, since the client needs to make a new HTTP request to the friendly URL anyways, and you don’t want the same request to do the CDN -> backend hop twice. Similarly, if app/ is what you’re using internally, it’s probably also what you want your customer to see. "

I'd say make both url variants work in your app, otherwise if it's predictable do it at the CDN. Really depends on the kind of app your site is. As for including /app, this really depends on if /app is the only thing on the site, if so why not put it at the root, this goes back managing the domain as a product.

"For the second example [we need to redirect/rewrite example.com/app/shoes/ to example.com/app/query_string&categorty=69420] I think it makes more sense to do a URL rewrite to preserve the friendly URL in the browser bar. We could do a redirect, but that means the user would see the ugly URL and you get links floating around in the wild that don’t correspond to your app design standards, which also limits your ability to change category numbers in the future without breaking existing links and loving your SEO. "

From the sounds of things your app probably doesn't handle all this internally. I'd recommend to do it at a layer where you can most easily maintain these mappings long term and across all clients (do you only have a website, how do your native mobile apps perform similar operations). Computation burden on the CDN will probably be around how complex a mapping you can maintain and house easy/safe/fast it is to update. For example, Fastly edge dictionaries would work up to point (1000 mappings) but otherwise you'd probably want to do it on an origin reverse proxy where you have close control over the mapping and fast feedback loops of updating them. For example, on my site, we have one specific class of redirect it was best to put on our origin, instead of the edge cdn or react spa, there are more mappings then our cdn handle, and it was easier to provide the mapping to the origin then distribute it with the app.

Docjowles posted:

I think your logic for when to prefer rewrites and redirects is sound. In the "changing /butt to /butt/" case, the URL is actually wrong, and you want to inform the client of that. Whereas in the rewrite case you want the user to see a consistent, friendly URL and not know or care that your backend has shoes in category 69420.

I would lean toward doing the redirects/rewrites at origin unless load testing shows that is too burdensome. Keep in mind the CDN should be able to cache redirect responses, so the vast majority of requests that redirect from /butt to /butt/ will never hit origin. But the real reason I prefer doing this at origin is because most CDN's I've worked with are a pain in the rear end to configure. Akamai in particular was like clicking around a Windows 3.1 GUI. It was hard to even figure out the right way to write a config rule, and once you did, it could literally take hours for the change to roll out globally. Whereas at origin you can pvoision apache/nginx/whatever rules using the same tooling you use to deploy everything else in your environment. Then focus on making your pages as cacheable as possible so traffic to origin is still minimized.

If you're working with a more reasonable CDN vendor then this argument loses weight. I am jaded here because I keep landing in jobs that are tied to older CDNs that are extremely cumbersome to work with. Maybe deploying thousands of rewrite rules to, say, Cloudflare is a delight. I dunno.

I missed this reply. I will say that Fastly is a delight, it's by far the best enterprise offering of any sort I have ever worked with. Cloudflare is fine.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 19, 2022

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fastly is indeed a delight and I love Varnish. Super clean to reason and work with and infinitely extensible.

A different team handles our Cloudflare config for not especially sensible reasons so they’re less in love presently... which is another good reason to do it at the origin. I’ve gotten recommendations from a few different people to that effect now, and management is definitely going to be easier doing it ourselves. I guess I’m biased from my joyous VCL days.

the second app example was entirely contrived, as were all the URLs. But I wanted to make it a more interesting conversation than “how to add trailing slash”.

I’m also going to take a moment to beg for the google know-how to find “why add a trailing slash” instead of “how to implement trailing slash in X”. I despise most search-accessible technical articles out there as a result. It’s not like there’s a lack of good educational content on why things work available for free online!

Anyways, great responses all around and I learned a few things. Thanks folks!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 19, 2022

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m also going to take a moment to beg for the google know-how to find “why add a trailing slash” instead of “how to implement trailing slash in X”. I despise most search-accessible technical articles out there as a result. It’s not like there’s a lack of good educational content on why things work available for free online!

I've thought about this, there's basically no reason, we've come a long way from webservers being anything like solaris boxen run apache and spewing a part of the filesystem onto the internet. URL routing and management to the right of the first slash is completely arbitrary and increasingly meaningless and hidden by the browsers.

e: my favorite url routing regex: (/.*)?$

Aquila fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 19, 2022

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
One week to the day HR denied my work from home request, complete with being forced to disclose my entire medical chart, I am laid up with a fever and I slept for 16 hours yesterday. :getin: I hope this event has the person who denied it shaking in their boots while they work from home. Toxic motherfuckers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turns out I dont have enough experience for the IT Tech position I wanted at campus. I was recommended for a position as a tech at the Learning Center though which my only concern regarding is its not really network-stuff aside from like "Why isnt Zoom working?" and I dont want that skillset to stagnate. Its a 40% paybump though, and I get my own office + benefits which is super tempting.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Turns out I dont have enough experience for the IT Tech position I wanted at campus. I was recommended for a position as a tech at the Learning Center though which my only concern regarding is its not really network-stuff aside from like "Why isnt Zoom working?" and I dont want that skillset to stagnate. Its a 40% paybump though, and I get my own office + benefits which is super tempting.

Grab the job, chill there for a while so you can scout a more interesting place while enjoying a 40% boost in revenue.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dandywalken posted:

I would just take the position and keep applying for other ones that are more closely aligned with your career goals.

Also, don't get discouraged if you get turned down from a campus job. Chances are they already had somebody lined up and just interviewed you to tick the box that says "we followed the HR process".

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Vargatron posted:

Also, don't get discouraged if you get turned down from a campus job. Chances are they already had somebody lined up and just interviewed you to tick the box that says "we followed the HR process".

This is true of anything in the public sector.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That’s true of a ton of private sector companies too unfortunately

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

that's silly, they should decide candidates by where they post on the internet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'd never get a job then

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"Your poison forum is making the unemployment line overcrowded"

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hello thread!

I am fresh off a personal month where I didn't think about IT even once. It was amazing. I have almost no savings left but I landed a Fortune 500 global solutions engineering position.

What' I'm saying is I'm ready to be hurt again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kung fu jive posted:

Hello thread!

I am fresh off a personal month where I didn't think about IT even once. It was amazing. I have almost no savings left but I landed a Fortune 500 global solutions engineering position.

What' I'm saying is I'm ready to be hurt again.

I think what you mean to say is, "Thank you, Capitalism! May I have another?"

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Bonzo posted:

I think what you mean to say is, "Thank you, Capitalism! May I have another?"

:hmmyes:

EDIT: Over my break I read Neuromancer and now I am convinced you just have to get out there and find your Tessier-Ashpool to weather the coming dystopia. :sun:

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 19, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today's safety meeting reminds us that poor black children are not good swimmers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cool.

Anyways, starting week 2 of the new job. It's been constant self-paced training. The next two weeks are instructor-lead virtual trainings. It feels so weird to have a month of training before even really starting to be helpful. I've barely even met anyone on my team. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. So used to being thrown into the fire. Wild.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ironically the hardest thing about my job is having my coworkers talk at me for long periods. The curse of being pretty quiet is being a rubber ducky sometimes

At least I got to come out, even if my coworker thought the a stood for ally like a doofus

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

Cool.

Anyways, starting week 2 of the new job. It's been constant self-paced training. The next two weeks are instructor-lead virtual trainings. It feels so weird to have a month of training before even really starting to be helpful. I've barely even met anyone on my team. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. So used to being thrown into the fire. Wild.

Maybe that still comes as they need you now rather than later, then cut the training short.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have not been a hardware or data center pro for a while so I could use the thread's help.

A buddy of mine has a small insurance office of 4 people, 1 part time. I got asked to look over their setup because they think their current "IT GUY" is screwing them. In a boom closet there is a 1U Lenovo Xeon server mounted vertically to the wall. While I was there I could hear the fans screaming and HDD lights going nuts. My guess is virus scan or something but the fact that a server, that is designed to be rack mounted, bothered me. In addition, there's some QNAP device connected to it which I assumed was for backups.

Is this normal? They save everything to OneDrive anyway so this seems overkill.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonzo posted:

I have not been a hardware or data center pro for a while so I could use the thread's help.

A buddy of mine has a small insurance office of 4 people, 1 part time. I got asked to look over their setup because they think their current "IT GUY" is screwing them. In a boom closet there is a 1U Lenovo Xeon server mounted vertically to the wall. While I was there I could hear the fans screaming and HDD lights going nuts. My guess is virus scan or something but the fact that a server, that is designed to be rack mounted, bothered me. In addition, there's some QNAP device connected to it which I assumed was for backups.

Is this normal? They save everything to OneDrive anyway so this seems overkill.

Servers are loud and the lights are always blinky. Its impossible to know just from the information you are provided. Having a rack is nice and better than the way its being described, but its also not free, so it cost/space might be somewhat of a concern.

As far as "are they being screwed", this is also impossible without knowing the context of the "it guys". This just a part time person? Is this a MSP? Is this free labor?

I will say that a company of 5 having a server and a qnap in a closet in itself is probably better than average. Its only like details about how much for what is where "am i getting screwed" really applies.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Having a whole rear end server for three people sounds pretty dumb. What’s it even doing?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

Having a whole rear end server for three people sounds pretty dumb. What’s it even doing?

It’s blinking lights and spinning fans. Please read the ticket.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Don’t tell me what to do!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

Don’t tell me what to do!!

We need to have a talk about your attitude and your lack of attention to detail in tickets.